Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

Ripped Off By "Sandmaster" aka Randy Johnson ***Updated ***Resolved ***

31K views 170 replies 65 participants last post by  greygoose 
#1 · (Edited)
This post is to inform others here on the forum about another member and how he has ripped me of on a sale and has refused to email or return my calls. The sale look place last Wed (1/23/12) and I feel I have given him ample time to respond. I put a wanted ad out for a Wide Track Dana 30 for a CJ. ( ) Sandmaster replied on Jan 15th @ 5:55pm with this-

“i have a complete dana 30 wide track from a 86 cj was completely gone trough a yr ago for a project and then never installed 4.10 gearing, locker, all new berings and seals, new lock outs, over sized chromoly heavy duty steering drag link and tie rod. new brakes and rotors. this is readyt to bolt in and go . make reasonable offer”

So I sent him a PM for details on the axles and what it was built with. He responded on Jan 16th @ 10:08pm with this-

“the tie rods are rugged ridge 1 1/4 dom tubeing with chromoly ends
the axle shafts are chromoly warn shafts
the ring n pinion are richmond
bearings were all timken
oem brakes and rotors
lockouts are superwinch
the locker is either a lock rite or aurbun i dont remember which one ill pop the cover off tomorrow when i get home and let you know which one is in there”

He got back with me about the locker on Jan 18th 11:02 PM with this-

“ya sorry didn’t get home in time yesterday. The locker is a lock rite locker, make a reasonable offer”

Based on what he told me was in the axle and that is was new never run I offered $500 he accepted.

I picked the axle up Wed night and Randy Johnson “Sandmaster” seemed like a nice enough guy and someone who had a lot of history with jeeps.
Friday night when I got home buddy and I got the axle in the barn and started taking it apart to check it out. First red flag was that when we pull the diff cover out came the gear oil all milky, and with a nice frozen chunk of ice under the ring/carrier. (remember back in his email he told me he had to pop the cover to check brand of locker?) Then I took the so called new Superwinch hubs off, passengers side had a mix of grease, water and rust inside, drives side had stripped out bolts but the axle grease looked good. We pulled the shafts out to see if we could find any identifying markings on them and sure enough the shafts are stamped “spicer” just like the stock set I have sitting in my barn. Then pulled the carrier to check the locker out. Pulled the locker apart and all the pins are sheared off! How does that happen in a never run axle? Overall the locker appears to be well used.

See picture-

So the truth- HD Tie Rod and Draglink, 4.10 gears (even though half covered with rust)

The Lie- Warn Chromly Shafts, used damaged locker (pins can be replaced), Used Junk Hubs, Axle has been used so all the bearings he claims as new are not.

His reply to my AD built 1 year ago and ready to bolt in and go. Not even close.

Appon further research for these other treads from his past of ripping people off-
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/bad-...randy-johnson-aka-jeepguynmich-maninjeep.html
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f7/got-screwed-seller-jeepforum-369039/
Anbody else screwed over by sandmaster? *LINK FIXED* - Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest

I have sent him 2 emails and called and left a few messages. All have been just asking him to call me so we can work this out. I have told him its not that I want all my money back and to return the axle but want some money back for what I did not get that he was selling me.

So buyers and sellers beware. Below is his contact information

Randy L Johnson
Lowell, Mi 49331

See less See more
1 1
#106 · (Edited)
I am the one who bought the engine.

Like others said he seemed like a nice guy. The kind that smiles as they shove the knife in your back.

Fucking crook.

I`ve dealt with many folks here on GL4x4 and PBB and he is the only one that I can honestly say was a lying, cheating crook.

Here years later he is still fucking people over.

#108 ·
I think I bought a yj steering colum and seat from this guy 5+ years ago. Cant remember his name but he lived in lowell and had a jeep on 36" mickeys with a big block in it, set up for sand. He seamed like a decent guy, cant believe he hasnt fixed this yet.

#135 ·
I gotta say, you would think he would have at least looked at the thread by now.
If he is on here trying to sell more stuff, and doesn't even have the decency to throw something in here like "I'm gonna make this right" or anything like that says a lot about this guy.
Marketplace ban FTW

#139 ·
Didnt know about this thread till a friend said something about it to me today.
as for not responding to paperboys pm indicating there was a issues was 4 days after he picked it up. i was outta town and replied first thing. he left a few items outta his post as my first responce was return it and i ll refund your money ! his responce was no no i just want some money refunded. we sent a few pms back n forth setteling on what was fair. So no one can say i didnt do anything or was trying to fuck someone over !
I dont eat drink and sleep this forum as most of you most of you must do as all the drama this has caused. get a life people...
Some of you i ve delt with most i havent as im just not into it as i was a while ago
with life just gets busy. To those that stuck up for me thank you to those that dont know me listen to those that do. paperboy n i have came to an agreement and i will not be responding to this post again.

#146 ·
Before everyone goes to jumping to conclusions that I left facts out based on “Sandmasters” post I will layout all the facts and PM’s that were exchanged between he and I. I posted on 1/30/13 @ 7:36am, 1/30/13 @ 8:30pm, 2/3/13@3:52pm, and 2/6/13@10:22am trying to keep the tread up to date with that Sandmaster had been in contact even though it had been slow response time.

Once I took the axle apart on Fri 1/25/13 I sent him the following PM’s

1/25/13 @ 10:44pm

“We pulled the axle apart tonight and I am wondering a few things in your post it says that it was built and never ran. We ran into stripped lockout bolts, internally when we pulled the cover the gear oil was milky like it had water in it. Once we got the locker out all 4 pins are sheared off in the locker and have been rolling around in there oblonging the holes. The shafts look just like stock. When you take a wire wheel to the the are stamped slicer just like the other stock set I have here? Not sure what to think here I feel like I bought a $500 axle that is for the most part stock. With 4.10 gears.”

1/28/13 @ 6:06am

“Randy I see you have been online twice since my last email that I sent on Friday night. And I have left you 2 messages. I am trying to give you a fair chance to respond to this issue. I am not looking to return the axle, but I don't feel $500 was fair for a axle that does not have warn chromly shafts, has broken lockout with stripped bolts, and a locker with sheered pins in it. This axles was sold to me as just assembled and never ran. Please respond so we can work this out. Thanks”

Then after giving him 3 days to respond to emails and phone calls I created this thread on 1/29/13 @7:17am, that night I get a response to my emails…

He responds this at 1/29/13 @ 11:38pm

“yes i was online a few times over the weekend but not to where i could really do anything. like i said when you picked up the axle i was getting ready to go on snowmobile trip to the up for 4 days. my cell got broke over the weekend and im just getting back and catching up on e mails messages ect...

the axles are the higher grade units they were bought at cascade 4 wheel drive here in grand rapids. as for the fluide being milky yes thats a possability as when i moved it a couple time during my move it did site on my trailer outside for a week or so and then moved back inside. not sure what you mean on the locker be wobbled out. and as for a lock out being damaged yes i guess thats possable as it was moved around for two yrs. i did say the locker was used as well as the gears. if all the parts in the axle are added up the cost adds up quickly. i dont want to get into a pissing match. thats not my way of doing business as anyone who know me will say. what are you thinking and we ll go from there”

I responded on 1/30/13@ 7:33am with this-

“This was your reply to my wanted AD- I have a complete Dana 30 wide track from a 86 cj was completely gone through a yr. ago for a project and then never installed 4.10 gearing, locker, all new bearings and seals, new lock outs, oversized chromoly heavy duty steering drag link and tie rod. new brakes and rotors. this is ready to bolt in and go . make reasonable offer

This was your reply to my PM about the details of the axle-

“the tie rods are rugged ridge 1 1/4 dom tubing with chromoly ends

the axle shafts are chromoly warn shafts

the ring n pinion are Richmond

bearings were all Timken

oem brakes and rotors

lockouts are superwinch

the locker is either a lock rite or aurbun I don’t remember which one ill pop the cover off tomorrow when I get home and let you know which one is in there”

You original reply to my ad said this was gone through 1 year ago and never run. Milky oil is not caused by condensation from sitting in a trailer/garage, and were not talking a little water the bottom 1/2 of the Diff was all ICE. This water caused the gears to rust which is not all that big of a deal but still rust/pitting on gears is not good. And back to the built 1 yr. ago and never run. Your reply to my ad says the bearings and seals were all new and the that the lockout were new but when we removed the passenger side lockout it was again a mix of grease/water/and rust. Drives side lockout had stripped out torx heads, the grease looked good on that side. The internal condition of the diff, and the hubs don't lead me to believe these to be new bearings and seals and just sitting around. You never said the locker was new which used is ok but again you said gone through 1 year ago and never run. the locker is 3 main pieces 2 side blocks and the main middle one, there are 4 pins and springs that hold them in alignment, all 4 pins are sheared off, how does that happen to a never run axle? Your reply to my PM says the shafts are Warn Chromoly shafts. Now you say they are HD shafts not chromoly. When I lay them side by side with stock all the markings are the same. The tie rod and drag link were as described.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y14/PaperboyRacing/2013-01-25_22-01-49_868.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y14/PaperboyRacing/2013-01-29_18-57-44_351.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y14/PaperboyRacing/2013-01-29_18-59-13_787.jpg

Randy I don't want to be in a "Pissing Match" either but I what I bought is nowhere close to what you told me it was. “Your reply said just bolt in and go” I think I would have been pretty surprised at what this axle would have sounded like and damaged if I had done that. I just want this corrected.

I want half my money back ($250) my $500 offer was based on an axle with chromoly shafts, new bearings and seals, a good working locker, good condition 4.10 gears, HD tie rod and drag link, New Superwinch lockouts.

What I feel I got was a used wide track Dana 30, with stock shafts, used bearings and seals, damaged locker, used Superwinch lockouts, used/rusty 4.10 gears which should clean up ok, and a good set of tie rod and draglinks.”

Sandmaster than responded on 1/30/13 @ 10:10 PM

“just return the axle and ill refund your money”

I responded back on 1/31/13 @ 3:17am

“If that's what u want to do we can do that. We can set up a time and meet in Hastings. I am not opposed to keeping it and u just PayPal me $250 back but I will leave that up to you.”

And Again 1/31/13 @ 4:43am

“If you want to return the money I can meet you in Hastings (we can meet at McDonalds) tomorrow anytime between 4 and 8pm. Let me know and thanks for being willing to work this out.”

Sandmaster than responded on 1/30/13 @ 9:07 PM

“If you want to keep the axle i would paypal you 100.00 making the axle 400.00 or return it to me and i would refund the funds. the parts in the axle are worth that and more. i touched base with dave at cascade today and the axles are warn axles that are the there chromoly axles there the same size as stock axles just out of a stronger material. per him. i will be out of town friday and sat. but should be home sunday afternoon. not going to meet in hastings as i dont have the means to haul the axle and im not pulling my 28ft trailer for a axle. let me know”

I responded back on 1/31/13 @ 9:35pm

“$150 and you got a deal.”

I sent another message since he had not responded but said he would be back Sunday? 2/3/13 @3:47pm

“So what's the word Randy we going to wrap this up? $150 I will consider us good. My PayPal is **************”

(And I called and left messages both on his cell and home phone Monday around 5pm)

He responds back on 2/5/13 @ 11:45pm (what happened to being back Sunday?)

“sorry was in the up snowmobileing again this weekend 125.00 and were good i can pay pal you wed when i get home”

I agreed and got the $125 via paypal Wed Night around 10pm.

Sandmaster did offer to buy the axle back, but was not taking any responsibility in getting the axle back to him. I offered to meet him half way only fair right??? So I choose to make a decision based on money I already had time and money wrapped up into going to get the miss represented axle and now I was going to have to invest more time and money into taking it back to him. I know some people would have just taken the axle back and thrown it in his lap just to make a point. The original gripe was that the axle was miss represented and not what I was paying for. In the end I ended up with a Dana 30, with HD Tie Rod and Drag Link w/HD Ends, 4.10 gears that are rusty but should clean up, and a locker that I should be able to get replacement parts for. I did not get an axle with new hubs, chromoly shafts, and rebuilt with all new bearings and never run like sandmaster said it was. Randy and I came to a deal I am good with, others might have done something different but this is good with me. I am taking this as a learning experience.

#148 ·
And all is wright in GL4x4 world. Can we please turn this thread into ripping on Paperboy326 now for misrepresenting the situation, making a bad deal on a used axle and for being a D Bag for starting this thread please Please?

#150 · (Edited)
I disagree, at the time Paperboy started this thread he had received no replies from sandman, and I do believe he's mentioned a few times thru this thread that sandman had responded and they were negotiating a resolution. It's the rest of you dra ma lla mas taking this to the next level...

*edit* oh and after reading all the pm's, I would agree sandman should have given more then $125 back, that axle was maybe half what he advertised, so should have been half the price IMO

my guess it Paperboy just wanted the deal done so he took what he could when offered the $125.

#160 ·
Since randy lied his ass off he should do the driving. You are a stand up guy Denny, I'm pretty sure you would drive to make a sale right if you royally fucked a guy over like randy did. Am I wrong?
You know you are right. I would perfer to never see my name in one of these threads in a bad way. It could happen though as I am smart enough to know that sooner or later someione will feel like I screwed them over. I always try to make things right even on e-bay dealings. I hate when an item is not right but the seller will refund all but shipping. WTF its not my fault that someone sold an inferior product. Give me all my money back.

I bought an axle from DMC about 4 years ago, a yj Dana 30 and I froze my ass of loading it in 0* weather hung over all by myself cause he wasn't hone when I want my money back.
At least it was cold enough that you did not break into a sweat. I probably about gave it away for free anyway.
Now days I pretty much expect that the buyer will bring someone along to help load axles even if I am there. I am getting older and they are getting heavier.

PS I also hate trying to type on my net book. I think that my fingers might be a little to fat for this.

#162 ·
At least it was cold enough that you did not break into a sweat. I probably about gave it away for free anyway.
Now days I pretty much expect that the buyer will bring someone along to help load axles even if I am there. I am getting older and they are getting heavier.

PS I also hate trying to type on my net book. I think that my fingers might be a little to fat for this.
Cold enough? Holy fuck, I think the temperature was -15 before windchill, I had just spent the previous night hanging out with my college buddies who live in chicago on my way home from Iowa, I was COMPLETLEY unprepared to spend 15 minutes digging an axle out from under the fresh snow and load it into a pick up truck. I know I didn't have gloves, I think I was in running shoes, jeans and a t-shirt :teehee:

I don't recall what I paid, $100 comes to mind, it was a good deal as far as I was concerned. :thumb:

But my hands are still cold, I want my money back.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.