It's called Christmas . . . - Page 2 - Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest

Go Back   Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > Politics, Government, or Religion Chat
GL4x4 Live! GL4x4 Casino

Politics, Government, or Religion Chat Bring your flamesuit!

greatlakes4x4.com is the premier Great Lakes 4x4 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Search
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old December 24th, 2012, 11:05 PM   #21
Catnip 0_o
Martial Artist
 
Catnip 0_o's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10-14-10
Location: Roseville, MI
Posts: 375
iTrader: (2)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuggets View Post
I say Merry Christmas all the time even though I'm not christian. It's their holiday and I choose to participate in it with my christian friends and family. I also say Happy Holidays to my non christian friends and Happy Hanukkah to my jewish friends. I enjoy this time of year because of the time spent with friends and family, I could care less about receiving gifts.

I will be going to the Christmas church service tonight because my girls are participating in play and singing in the service. I think I'm going to turn my fire pager on full blast! Just kidding Aber, I show respect to other people's beliefs as long as they don't harrass me about mine.
Wish more people were like you
Catnip 0_o is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old December 25th, 2012, 12:43 AM   #22
L4CX
Out for the Summer!
 
L4CX's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-16-07
Location: Hillsdale, MI
Posts: 4,996
iTrader: (5)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlooMule View Post
I saw what u did there....


But, yes- If I choose not to practice ANY religion, I have that right just as you have the right to practice your religion.

For the record, I do not agree with the people who want to remove all religious imagery from the public eye. I don't see a manger scene in front of city hall as endorsing Christianity, merely recognizing the 'reason for the season'. I do accept that a person named Jesus walked the earth 2000 years ago, I just don't believe in deities. I do not in any way find the celebration offensive.
In this case, I wish more people were like you. Not so much in other cases though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92FleXj View Post
Jesus is the adults Santa.
Jesus is everybody's Santa and the reason 'old St Nick' does what he does.
L4CX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2012, 08:36 AM   #23
mikesova
My 4x4 is a Subaru.
 
mikesova's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Gladwin, MI
Posts: 7,859
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to mikesova
Default

mikesova is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2012, 09:28 AM   #24
BlooMule
Jet powered
 
BlooMule's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-08-05
Location: a mile from the shithole
Posts: 26,089
iTrader: (12)
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesova View Post
Interesting.


So when they discover Santa is a lie, they are supposed to accept that Jesus is true, even when it's the liars telling them so?
__________________
-rw-rw-rw
BlooMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2012, 03:21 PM   #25
L4CX
Out for the Summer!
 
L4CX's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-16-07
Location: Hillsdale, MI
Posts: 4,996
iTrader: (5)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesova View Post
Santa clause is a based off a real person who gave gifts to children. St. Nicholas. So you want us to teach our kids that Jesus wss real? That he wss a great man that did things out of love and treated the lowest people in his time with respect? I am all about that.
L4CX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2012, 04:11 PM   #26
BlooMule
Jet powered
 
BlooMule's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-08-05
Location: a mile from the shithole
Posts: 26,089
iTrader: (12)
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by L4CX View Post
Santa clause is a based off a real person who gave gifts to children. St. Nicholas. So you want us to teach our kids that Jesus wss real? That he wss a great man that did things out of love and treated the lowest people in his time with respect? I am all about that.
There is enough evidence out there for me to say that this is true.

Again- I don't believe in any 'gods', so to me he was a person with great empathy for his fellow men.

What should also be taught is that all religions (aside from Satanism) have a similar figure at their core.

It could be argued that there is only one religion, just that each locality has their own names for the players.
__________________
-rw-rw-rw
BlooMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2012, 04:40 PM   #27
L4CX
Out for the Summer!
 
L4CX's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-16-07
Location: Hillsdale, MI
Posts: 4,996
iTrader: (5)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlooMule View Post
There is enough evidence out there for me to say that this is true.

Again- I don't believe in any 'gods', so to me he was a person with great empathy for his fellow men.

What should also be taught is that all religions (aside from Satanism) have a similar figure at their core.

It could be argued that there is only one religion, just that each locality has their own names for the players.
From what I understand, Christianity is the only one that doesnt require the person to work to the 'next level' of the faith. Could be bias though.
L4CX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2012, 04:44 PM   #28
BlooMule
Jet powered
 
BlooMule's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-08-05
Location: a mile from the shithole
Posts: 26,089
iTrader: (12)
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by L4CX View Post
From what I understand, Christianity is the only one that doesnt require the person to work to the 'next level' of the faith. Could be bias though.
Well, doesn't the Christian have to live his life according to God's laws and repent for his sins to gain the key to the kingdom?
__________________
-rw-rw-rw
BlooMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2012, 11:32 PM   #29
L4CX
Out for the Summer!
 
L4CX's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-16-07
Location: Hillsdale, MI
Posts: 4,996
iTrader: (5)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlooMule View Post
Well, doesn't the Christian have to live his life according to God's laws and repent for his sins to gain the key to the kingdom?
The Key to the Kingdom is Jesus Christ and Jesus Christ only. "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the father except through me".

Out of an understanding of what Christ did for the believer (and all of us) said believer should be willing to try and live a life according to what Jesus taught. Mostly that is to Glorify God by loving people in a way that is also pleasing to God.

I see it like this. Alot of other religions have rules and regulation you have to follow. You have a list of bad things, a list of good things. In certain religions you can do things (animal Sacrifice for instance) to remove the bad things. Some religions you can't. Either way, you have to work for salvation This applies to the Jewish tradition or the OT laws.

Christianity is the fulfillment of that law. There is still a list of good and bad things but Christ takes that list for him self and gives us his list. Which was perfect. So in Christianity the bearer of the work is Christ. There is no reason to keep track of a list of good or bad (sins). It's all forgiven.

Out of that understanding comes the idea that we should live a life worthy of what Christ has done for us. Romans 6 does a pretty good job of explaining why we Shouldn't live in sin anymore. It doesn't mean we are perfect but we should strive to be 'slaves of Righteousness'. Righteousness meaning "In a right stance with God".


LIke I said, from my understanding, not many other religions offer such a deal.
L4CX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2012, 07:19 AM   #30
BlooMule
Jet powered
 
BlooMule's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-08-05
Location: a mile from the shithole
Posts: 26,089
iTrader: (12)
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Default

What about the 'wages of sin'? That sounds like work was performed, albeit the wrong work.

You say that Christ did the work, but also you should try to live a life worthy of what Christ has done. It still sounds like a requirement. Actually,, it sounds like a union job. "Here's your pay, but you don't have to bust your ass, just show up"
__________________
-rw-rw-rw
BlooMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2012, 02:50 PM   #31
L4CX
Out for the Summer!
 
L4CX's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-16-07
Location: Hillsdale, MI
Posts: 4,996
iTrader: (5)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlooMule View Post
What about the 'wages of sin'? That sounds like work was performed, albeit the wrong work.

You say that Christ did the work, but also you should try to live a life worthy of what Christ has done. It still sounds like a requirement. Actually,, it sounds like a union job. "Here's your pay, but you don't have to bust your ass, just show up"
The Wages of Sin is Death But the gift of God is eternal Life through Jesus Christ. The 'list' is still there, it's just voided by Christ's Sacrifice.

I would say that most Christians WANT to live a life that is glorifying to God because of the gratitude they feel towards what Christ did. They don't do it out of fear. Maybe I should say, they SHOULDN'T want to do it out of fear.
L4CX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2012, 03:00 PM   #32
Chiefwoohaw
Pokerob is my B*tch!
 
Chiefwoohaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-06-05
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 11,508
iTrader: (7)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by L4CX View Post
The Wages of Sin is Death But the gift of God is eternal Life through Jesus Christ. The 'list' is still there, it's just voided by Christ's Sacrifice.

I would say that most Christians WANT to live a life that is glorifying to God because of the gratitude they feel towards what Christ did. They don't do it out of fear. Maybe I should say, they SHOULDN'T want to do it out of fear.
Truth, Glory be to God!!
Chiefwoohaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2012, 03:10 PM   #33
kerryann
German cars are hot
 
kerryann's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: West Bloomfield
Posts: 11,446
iTrader: (3)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Default

Happy holidays is inclusive but apparently to some people they think it means to exclude their religion. I say happy holidays because I mean Happy Hanukkah, Merry Christmas, AND happy new year. There are multiple holidays this time of year.
I disagree with not allowing things like manger scenes or big menorahs. If people want to be festive and decorate then that is great. I go hog wild with decorations every year and love this season. No matter what anyone wished me I wouldn't be offended but I say happy holidays because I am wishing them happiness through the entire holiday season. That being said I still have one holiday left to go before it's just the winter blah season.
kerryann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2012, 03:31 PM   #34
Nuggets
I fix stuff!
 
Nuggets's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-15-06
Location: Bay City, MI
Posts: 13,450
iTrader: (13)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aber61 View Post
I didn't know that you were Jewish.
Nope, Deist. I will debate the shit out of anybody that feels the need to convert me to their way of (un)thinking. Those that don't feel the need to convert me and don't make it a condition of knowing me, I treat with respect.
Nuggets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2012, 03:34 PM   #35
Nuggets
I fix stuff!
 
Nuggets's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-15-06
Location: Bay City, MI
Posts: 13,450
iTrader: (13)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by L4CX View Post
The Wages of Sin is Death But the gift of God is eternal Life through Jesus Christ. The 'list' is still there, it's just voided by Christ's Sacrifice.

I would say that most Christians WANT to live a life that is glorifying to God because of the gratitude they feel towards what Christ did. They don't do it out of fear. Maybe I should say, they SHOULDN'T want to do it out of fear.
Why would a omnipotent being feel the need for me to kiss their ass? I'd think it could keep itself amused making stars and stuff.
Nuggets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2012, 04:18 PM   #36
L4CX
Out for the Summer!
 
L4CX's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-16-07
Location: Hillsdale, MI
Posts: 4,996
iTrader: (5)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuggets View Post
Why would a omnipotent being feel the need for me to kiss their ass? I'd think it could keep itself amused making stars and stuff.
I never said he did. I was answering BM's question about it being a requirement. Which it isn't, it's an effect of the change.
L4CX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2012, 06:55 PM   #37
84Scrambler
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 11-07-05
Location: Lansing
Posts: 5,948
iTrader: (8)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to 84Scrambler
Default

Happy Holidays!
84Scrambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2012, 07:45 PM   #38
whiterhino
I'm not old, honest...
 
whiterhino's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-07-06
Location: Davisburg MI
Posts: 22,086
iTrader: (22)
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Default

Merry Christmas.
__________________
GLFWDA member since 1979.
Member Southern Michigan Rock Crawlers.
whiterhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > Politics, Government, or Religion Chat

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:48 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright 2000 - 2012, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Page generated in 0.37650 seconds with 75 queries