Go Back   Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > Politics, Government, or Religion Chat
GL4x4 Live! GL4x4 Casino

Politics, Government, or Religion Chat Bring your flamesuit!







Search
View Poll Results: Globalization
I'm all for it!! 7 23.33%
No way Jose!! 14 46.67%
I don't know anything about economics so I choose to kick Cube in the JUNK!! 9 30.00%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old November 25th, 2006, 12:19 PM   #61
brewmenn
Grumpy old man.
 
brewmenn's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Inkster, MI
Posts: 10,297
iTrader: (9)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreaseMonkey View Post
Thanks for the support Bruce.
I understand what your dad is going through. I'm a designer also.
brewmenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2006, 02:43 PM   #62
84Scrambler
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 11-07-05
Location: Lansing
Posts: 5,941
iTrader: (8)
Send a message via AIM to 84Scrambler
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewmenn View Post
As much as I hate to say it I see no way but down for us. The only way we can compete on price is if our standard of living drops to near thier level.
Not entirely. It is true unless the US can increase their output and efficiency. The average US worker is lazy in comparison to other countries and our workers make more. So, when you pay more for less, there is a lot of room for improvement. Unfortunately, this is not going to change unless there are some union busting laws passed, companies begin to worry more about employee productivity than the lawsuit the worker will file when they are fired for not doing their job. In no way am I saying that the downfall of the US is to be blamed on employees. The owners and managers are as much at fault, if not more so. They allow workers to get away with things like surfing the internet for hours per day rather than doing their work. I would hate to think how much productivity could be gained by managers enforcing rules that exist in every workplace in the US. It all falls back to my theory that workers work just hard enough to not get fired and managers pay just enough that workers don't quit. As society goes, so does the economy. Lazy society equals low productivity, high costs, imported goods that are cheaper, and outsourced labor. It all goes hand in hand.
84Scrambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2006, 05:44 PM   #63
jamiesann
Senior Member
 
jamiesann's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Grosse Pointe Woods
Posts: 2,888
iTrader: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 84Scrambler View Post
Not entirely. It is true unless the US can increase their output and efficiency. The average US worker is lazy in comparison to other countries and our workers make more. So, when you pay more for less, there is a lot of room for improvement. Unfortunately, this is not going to change unless there are some union busting laws passed, companies begin to worry more about employee productivity than the lawsuit the worker will file when they are fired for not doing their job. In no way am I saying that the downfall of the US is to be blamed on employees. The owners and managers are as much at fault, if not more so. They allow workers to get away with things like surfing the internet for hours per day rather than doing their work. I would hate to think how much productivity could be gained by managers enforcing rules that exist in every workplace in the US. It all falls back to my theory that workers work just hard enough to not get fired and managers pay just enough that workers don't quit. As society goes, so does the economy. Lazy society equals low productivity, high costs, imported goods that are cheaper, and outsourced labor. It all goes hand in hand.
I disagree with the lazy part. Litigous yes, but we work as much as the japanese and substantially more than the Germans. Most of Europe is slackers compared to american worker, south america and latin america they through in the towel at noon and tap a long nap and cant touch us. More ancient cultures "work hard" like farming is harder than being a desk jockey ... but i am not so certain that even half the old fashioned acient cultures steeped in rural aggriculture stuff work more than 40 hours.

What point was the turning point in your opinion 84scrambler. At somepoint we were the economic super power and military superpower. Little by little china, taiwan, malaysia, sri lanka, india, pakistan, banglesdesh etc made products have been coming here in large numbers. I understand how new large increased tarifs with china would upset the trade relations and spark a trade or economic war.

Why does it seem we are so easy going with those other piss ant countries, though ? I may be wrong but i can't belive bangledesh is holding loans for US debt.

I also dont understand why so many countries are bending over for China, say compared to India which has similar population of potential future customers. Any expert insight would be appreciated
jamiesann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2006, 07:38 PM   #64
Chiefwoohaw
Pokerob is my B*tch!
 
Chiefwoohaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-06-05
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 11,502
iTrader: (7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiesann View Post


I also dont understand why so many countries are bending over for China, say compared to India which has similar population of potential future customers. Any expert insight would be appreciated
I bet I know why McDonalds and other BURGER chains are not bending over to india . . .

Last edited by Chiefwoohaw; November 27th, 2006 at 08:57 PM.
Chiefwoohaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2006, 07:42 PM   #65
84Scrambler
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 11-07-05
Location: Lansing
Posts: 5,941
iTrader: (8)
Send a message via AIM to 84Scrambler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiefwoohaw View Post
I bet I know why McDonalds and other BURGER chains are bending over to india . . .
Researching future employers? :tonka:
84Scrambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2006, 09:13 PM   #66
brewmenn
Grumpy old man.
 
brewmenn's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Inkster, MI
Posts: 10,297
iTrader: (9)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiesann View Post
I disagree with the lazy part. Litigous yes, but we work as much as the japanese and substantially more than the Germans. Most of Europe is slackers compared to american worker, south america and latin america they through in the towel at noon and tap a long nap and cant touch us. More ancient cultures "work hard" like farming is harder than being a desk jockey ... but i am not so certain that even half the old fashioned acient cultures steeped in rural aggriculture stuff work more than 40 hours.
True, but it's not any of the countries you mentioned that are kicking out butts in manufacturing. It's the poorer Asian countries. And I don't think it's so much that they work harder, it's just that they work for so much less money. People here want to make the big bucks but don't want to work hard for it.
brewmenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > Politics, Government, or Religion Chat
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:47 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright 2000 - 2012, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2005 - 2012 Cracker Enterprises - Powered by Linux
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=
Page generated in 0.12056 seconds with 25 queries