"Assault weapons" ban will probably happen. - Page 6 - Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest

Go Back   Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > Politics, Government, or Religion Chat
GL4x4 Live! GL4x4 Casino

Politics, Government, or Religion Chat Bring your flamesuit!

greatlakes4x4.com is the premier Great Lakes 4x4 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Search
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old December 19th, 2012, 06:58 AM   #101
High Center Hancho
rack tap re-rack click
 
High Center Hancho's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-10-07
Location: Genesee County
Posts: 12,913
iTrader: (40)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlooMule View Post
Because neither can the media that's stirring up the hype.

For the record:

1) Mosin Nagant 91/30. Military

2) Bushmaster AR-15. Civilian

3) M1 Garand. Military

4) M16A1. Military

5) WASR-10. Civilian

6) Hi-Point 995. Civilian.

Of the 6, only the M16A1 is full auto. The Mosin and M1 are bolt action. The rest are semi-auto. The WASR-10 is Romanian, and is converted by Century Arms International to accept double stack AK style magazines. As manufactured in Romania, it uses 5 round single stack mags.
The Hi Point doesn't even use a rifle round, it uses 9mm handgun ammo.

You get points for recognizing the wood stocks as WWII vintage military, I have seen the M1 used as an example of a 'hunting rifle' by some reporters, and the Bushmaster has been referred to as a 'sniper rifle'.


It's the 'Evil Black Rifle' syndrome.
for the record the ar-15 and wasr-10 are military models, the M1 is semi-auto and they all use rounds made for the military first
High Center Hancho is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old December 19th, 2012, 07:13 AM   #102
SS
Blinded By The Light
 
SS's Avatar
 
Join Date: 12-12-05
Location: Mogadishu, Somalia
Posts: 11,712
iTrader: (13)
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Center Hancho View Post
for the record the ar-15 and wasr-10 are military models, the M1 is semi-auto and they all use rounds made for the military first
I think he was trying to get at them being copies of military rifles for civilian use since neither have burst or full auto capability.
__________________
-Jeremy

Watch yourself. I'll light you up.
SS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2012, 08:02 AM   #103
92FleXj
stacks stacked on stacks
 
92FleXj's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-04-11
Location: Howell, MI
Posts: 2,278
iTrader: (5)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Obie is to announce what they will be doing in a few hrs. Just herd it on fox.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS View Post
Know that pocket that forms behind your knee when you sit down?

I'ma fuck it. You're gonna like it too.
92FleXj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2012, 08:18 AM   #104
92FleXj
stacks stacked on stacks
 
92FleXj's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-04-11
Location: Howell, MI
Posts: 2,278
iTrader: (5)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default


This guys kinda crazy but there's some stuff to be learned here.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS View Post
Know that pocket that forms behind your knee when you sit down?

I'ma fuck it. You're gonna like it too.
92FleXj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2012, 09:15 AM   #105
TJJEEP
Senior Member
 
TJJEEP's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-08-05
Location: Orchard Lake
Posts: 2,842
iTrader: (2)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to TJJEEP Send a message via MSN to TJJEEP
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiefwoohaw View Post
I am now a proud member of the NRA. I hope it helps.
I signed up yesterday as well.
__________________
If you're like me you like to talk to things. I'm Gary Busey!!
TJJEEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2012, 10:49 AM   #106
feva4u
LCG
 
feva4u's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-01-07
Location: Petoskey, MI
Posts: 10,342
iTrader: (12)
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Default

http://www.cnn.com/2012/12/13/health...ml?hpt=hp_bn12
Going to have to ban multiple servings on food as well...........
__________________
My Jeep
feva4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2012, 11:53 AM   #107
lgottler
Senior Member
 
lgottler's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-30-06
Location: New Baltimore, MI
Posts: 1,323
iTrader: (15)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiterhino View Post
But you missed the point. Both are owned by private citizens. Neither have done any harm to anyone while owned by the LEGAL owner. Both are stolen by a dirtbag. Both kill someone.

In the case of the rifle, you say the weapon is bad and the LEGAL owner bears responsibility.
In the case of the truck, you say it was not used for it's intended purpose when it killed someone so no big deal.

In my opinion, neither the rifle or the truck were used for it's intended purpose, BOTH were stolen by a dirtbag, BOTH killed someone and IT IS THE FAULT of the dirtbag.

The tool used is not the issue.
I disagree. My opinion is that the tools intended use matters a lot when it comes to blame. By owning a gun you have to accept a level of responsibility for it. If it's locked or stored away yet someone still steals it, not your issue. Left out or unlocked and stolen, you have to have some responsibility for it's final use. Same goes for anything designed to kill something. My .02
lgottler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2012, 12:04 PM   #108
92FleXj
stacks stacked on stacks
 
92FleXj's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-04-11
Location: Howell, MI
Posts: 2,278
iTrader: (5)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Well obies speech was not to bad. I don't like that anti gun Biden is in charge. I feel this is the calm before the storm.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS View Post
Know that pocket that forms behind your knee when you sit down?

I'ma fuck it. You're gonna like it too.
92FleXj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2012, 12:12 PM   #109
Rockstar
sɐƃǝʌ sɐן
 
Rockstar's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-25-07
Location: Taylor,Mi
Posts: 8,504
iTrader: (11)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Default

R.I.P Guns no more cowboys only Indians
Rockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2012, 12:13 PM   #110
BlooMule
pew pew
 
BlooMule's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-08-05
Location: a mile from the shithole
Posts: 24,701
iTrader: (12)
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS View Post
I think he was trying to get at them being copies of military rifles for civilian use since neither have burst or full auto capability.
Yes
__________________
-rw-rw-rw
BlooMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2012, 12:19 PM   #111
BlooMule
pew pew
 
BlooMule's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-08-05
Location: a mile from the shithole
Posts: 24,701
iTrader: (12)
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgottler View Post
I disagree. My opinion is that the tools intended use matters a lot when it comes to blame. By owning a gun you have to accept a level of responsibility for it. If it's locked or stored away yet someone still steals it, not your issue. Left out or unlocked and stolen, you have to have some responsibility for it's final use. Same goes for anything designed to kill something. My .02
'Intended use' also includes 'Intended user'

Military- intended use against human targets.

Civilian - intended use against animal targets, presumably for food.


It's like a computer- the intended use is for data, word processing, internet, gaming, etc- but another usage is espionage, hacking, virus attacks, etc.

Depends on the user. Just because a computer *can* be used to commit crimes, should we regulate who is allowed to have tham and make law abiding citizens go through background checks and extra costs?


After all, information is power.
__________________
-rw-rw-rw
BlooMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2012, 12:44 PM   #112
whiterhino
I'm not old, honest...
 
whiterhino's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-07-06
Location: Davisburg MI
Posts: 21,044
iTrader: (21)
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgottler View Post
I disagree. My opinion is that the tools intended use matters a lot when it comes to blame. By owning a gun you have to accept a level of responsibility for it. If it's locked or stored away yet someone still steals it, not your issue. Left out or unlocked and stolen, you have to have some responsibility for it's final use. Same goes for anything designed to kill something. My .02
Intended use?
The intended use for a weapon that I own is:
1) Personal protection for my family and home.
2) Recreation.

Neither of those 2 intended usages are for a theif to steal them and use them for an illegal purpose. Do I have the same responsibility if someone steals a butcher knife from my home and uses it to commit a crime? How about the 5 gallons of gas they steal from my garage to set fire to a drug house or cover up a murder? What if they steal my belt and choke someone or use it to commit suicide? Did you know that a high amount of murders are committed with baseball bats? So, am I responsible for a baseball bat stolen from my home and used in a crime?

Why is it that this one and only tool is the focus of death in this country when it is not the #1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, or 9th cause of death in the US?
__________________
GLFWDA member since 1979.
Member Southern Michigan Rock Crawlers.
whiterhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2012, 01:24 PM   #113
High Center Hancho
rack tap re-rack click
 
High Center Hancho's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-10-07
Location: Genesee County
Posts: 12,913
iTrader: (40)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiterhino View Post
Intended use?
The intended use for a weapon that I own is:
1) Personal protection for my family and home.
2) Recreation.

Neither of those 2 intended usages are for a theif to steal them and use them for an illegal purpose. Do I have the same responsibility if someone steals a butcher knife from my home and uses it to commit a crime? How about the 5 gallons of gas they steal from my garage to set fire to a drug house or cover up a murder? What if they steal my belt and choke someone or use it to commit suicide? Did you know that a high amount of murders are committed with baseball bats? So, am I responsible for a baseball bat stolen from my home and used in a crime?

Why is it that this one and only tool is the focus of death in this country when it is not the #1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, or 9th cause of death in the US?
thank you for posting facts...but as you know the public doesn't like facts, they like what the news tells them, and the news says guns are worst than nazi's
High Center Hancho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2012, 01:43 PM   #114
kickstand
sHaMoNe!
 
kickstand's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-20-06
Location: fenton
Posts: 30,934
iTrader: (46)
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgottler View Post
The purpose of the truck is transportation though, the guns got really just one purpose to kill something. You wouldn't swipe a gun to use as a crowbar...

I think I need to repeat this: I don't have a problem with people owning guns and think a cpl is fine (I think more thorough background checks should be done with an eye towards health and living situations etc).
This is a ridiculous statement.

My truck is used for transportation, hauling, heating my home, plowing snow (if I had a bigger driveway anyway), etc. It's a multipurpose tool.

Other people could use it for demolition, vandalism, drunk driving, killing people, mowing over crowds, etc. But that is not why I own it. Again, white rhino is right, its the operator/user not the tool.

I have a gun and it is not intended to kill anything other than paper targets, clay targets, and bottles.

(I have used it to kill squirrels, but since I got in trouble for that with the DNR I have resorted to poison)

I could use the gun for home defense/protection, but haven't had the need, don't foresee the need, probably don't want to shoot a human unless it is my absolute last resort to save my family. Not a likely use for my future guns.

So, in closing, your statement that the guns only purpose is killing is ridiculous. I have a gun, intend to purchase more, and none of them are intended for anything other than recreational target shooting. I don't hunt, probably won't (but may), and I like to shoot targets. Killing anything with a gun is at the very bottom of the list for any use I would ever have for a gun. The gun serves no different purpose to me than a snowboard, bicycle, car, truck, jeep, boat, or any other recreational devices. It is simply a means for entertainment.
kickstand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2012, 01:53 PM   #115
whiterhino
I'm not old, honest...
 
whiterhino's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-07-06
Location: Davisburg MI
Posts: 21,044
iTrader: (21)
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickstand View Post
This is a ridiculous statement.

My truck is used for transportation, hauling, heating my home, plowing snow (if I had a bigger driveway anyway), etc. It's a multipurpose tool.

Other people could use it for demolition, vandalism, drunk driving, killing people, mowing over crowds, etc. But that is not why I own it. Again, white rhino is right, its the operator/user not the tool.

I have a gun and it is not intended to kill anything other than paper targets, clay targets, and bottles.

(I have used it to kill squirrels, but since I got in trouble for that with the DNR I have resorted to poison)

I could use the gun for home defense/protection, but haven't had the need, don't foresee the need, probably don't want to shoot a human unless it is my absolute last resort to save my family. Not a likely use for my future guns.

So, in closing, your statement that the guns only purpose is killing is ridiculous. I have a gun, intend to purchase more, and none of them are intended for anything other than recreational target shooting. I don't hunt, probably won't (but may), and I like to shoot targets. Killing anything with a gun is at the very bottom of the list for any use I would ever have for a gun. The gun serves no different purpose to me than a snowboard, bicycle, car, truck, jeep, boat, or any other recreational devices. It is simply a means for entertainment.
Egads You mean there is another way to kill squirrels other than with a gun? Say it ain't so.
__________________
GLFWDA member since 1979.
Member Southern Michigan Rock Crawlers.
whiterhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2012, 01:58 PM   #116
High Center Hancho
rack tap re-rack click
 
High Center Hancho's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-10-07
Location: Genesee County
Posts: 12,913
iTrader: (40)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiterhino View Post
Egads You mean there is another way to kill squirrels other than with a gun? Say it ain't so.
and the DNR is okay with poison over a pellet! Man we have some pillow biters in charge don't we!
High Center Hancho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2012, 01:59 PM   #117
High Center Hancho
rack tap re-rack click
 
High Center Hancho's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-10-07
Location: Genesee County
Posts: 12,913
iTrader: (40)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

speaking of pellet guns, I'm going to go buy one of those sweet $2000 models that are just as powerful as a .22 before those get banned too
High Center Hancho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2012, 02:23 PM   #118
kickstand
sHaMoNe!
 
kickstand's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-20-06
Location: fenton
Posts: 30,934
iTrader: (46)
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiterhino View Post
Egads You mean there is another way to kill squirrels other than with a gun? Say it ain't so.
crazy isn't it? The tool I am using has changed, but the result is the exact same. Tell me how much sense that makes?
kickstand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2012, 02:29 PM   #119
BlooMule
pew pew
 
BlooMule's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-08-05
Location: a mile from the shithole
Posts: 24,701
iTrader: (12)
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickstand View Post
crazy isn't it? The tool I am using has changed, but the result is the exact same. Tell me how much sense that makes?
Yeah, cuz nobody has ever has a pet accidentally poisoned.
__________________
-rw-rw-rw
BlooMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2012, 02:33 PM   #120
Mulely
Senior Member
 
Mulely's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-04-06
Location: St Joseph, MI
Posts: 1,154
iTrader: (13)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to Mulely
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgottler View Post

As far as obtaining a handgun, I know a few people that make me nervous owning a handgun (mental issues, carelessness, etc...)
If you're that worried, shouldn't you call the cops on them and take away their car, knives, and childeren?
Mulely is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply
Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > Politics, Government, or Religion Chat

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:53 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright 2000 - 2012, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Page generated in 0.32587 seconds with 82 queries