that stupid shirt that has been making the rounds on facebook... - Page 3 - Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest

Go Back   Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > Politics, Government, or Religion Chat
GL4x4 Live! GL4x4 Casino

Politics, Government, or Religion Chat Bring your flamesuit!

greatlakes4x4.com is the premier Great Lakes 4x4 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Search
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old December 19th, 2012, 06:55 AM   #41
mikesova
My 4x4 is a Subaru.
 
mikesova's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Gladwin, MI
Posts: 7,809
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to mikesova
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiefwoohaw View Post
I disagree with you completly. I think it is direct punishment just as aids is to the gay community, just as natural disasters are to the wicked. God didn't send the killer to kill these children but this is what happens in a Godless world.
Every time I read something that you type, it's like you're 2 steps away from joining the Westboro Baptist Church.
mikesova is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old December 19th, 2012, 06:56 AM   #42
L4CX
Out for the Summer!
 
L4CX's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-16-07
Location: Hillsdale, MI
Posts: 4,990
iTrader: (5)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlooMule View Post
Group activity at a school sponsored event admittedly is a gray area. It's not specifically banned, but it's not specifically allowed either. The issue is because it's a 'group' activity vs an 'individual' activity.

For the record, I think it's BS that the school harasses a group of like minded individuals for doing something they all agree upon. The KKK gets to have activities and it's protected free speech. (well, not so much anymore)

Every group will have extremists that want to push their agenda. I don't agree with the atheist groups that want to scrub every religious message from public view. A nativity scene on the city hall lawn is ok with me, as long as any other religious group is allowed to put their icons along side it.

But I am not going to assume other religions have been discouraged from a display if I don't see one.
I actually agree with you on the nativity stuff. I love to see how other religions celebrate their holidays.

I know when I was in high school, 10 years ago , that a student group could do those things because it wasn't endorsed by the school but an act of the students free speech. It's no different then a church using a School on the weekends as it's place of worship. I've seen that before, as odd as it may sound. I'm sure that may have become more restrictive because even in my 4 years of High School the ability for students to have that free speech was being limited by people that were 'offended' by it.

As far as saying kids can't bless thier meal or read/bring thier bible, that's the school infringing on the rights of the students. And it's BS. It's sad, but I think alot of districts have resorted to catering to the most offended instead of what's good for the students.
L4CX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2012, 08:15 AM   #43
Chiefwoohaw
Pokerob is my B*tch!
 
Chiefwoohaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-06-05
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 11,508
iTrader: (7)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesova View Post
Every time I read something that you type, it's like you're 2 steps away from joining the Westboro Baptist Church.
I believe that we are being punished by God for turning away from him. . . or more or less he's allowing things to happen because he is no longer with us. Westboro isn't worng in their ideas as much as their delivery. They have a huge PR problem.

You hate god and love fags so I understand why you don't understand what they are meaning to say which is what most christians are saying about our wickedworld. It is directly related to God not being here because many americans (YOU) have asked him to leave.
Chiefwoohaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2012, 12:07 PM   #44
L4CX
Out for the Summer!
 
L4CX's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-16-07
Location: Hillsdale, MI
Posts: 4,990
iTrader: (5)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiefwoohaw View Post
I believe that we are being punished by God for turning away from him. . . or more or less he's allowing things to happen because he is no longer with us. Westboro isn't worng in their ideas as much as their delivery. They have a huge PR problem.

You hate god and love fags so I understand why you don't understand what they are meaning to say which is what most christians are saying about our wickedworld. It is directly related to God not being here because many americans (YOU) have asked him to leave.
God is everywhere.

Has our nation become numb to him? Yes. On that point I would agree that is why these things happen. We get things like Compassion, Love, caring, etc, from God. The further you get away from him, or the more numb to him you make your self, the less likely you are to show his characteristics. Not saying you can't show love, compassion and the like if you're not in Christ, but that is only because we are created in the image of God.
L4CX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2012, 12:34 PM   #45
BlooMule
Jet powered
 
BlooMule's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-08-05
Location: a mile from the shithole
Posts: 25,670
iTrader: (12)
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by L4CX View Post
I actually agree with you on the nativity stuff. I love to see how other religions celebrate their holidays.

I know when I was in high school, 10 years ago , that a student group could do those things because it wasn't endorsed by the school but an act of the students free speech. It's no different then a church using a School on the weekends as it's place of worship. I've seen that before, as odd as it may sound. I'm sure that may have become more restrictive because even in my 4 years of High School the ability for students to have that free speech was being limited by people that were 'offended' by it.

As far as saying kids can't bless thier meal or read/bring thier bible, that's the school infringing on the rights of the students. And it's BS. It's sad, but I think alot of districts have resorted to catering to the most offended instead of what's good for the students.

High school for me was 1977 - 1979.

We had a clas called 'The Bible as literature'

Our social studies class spent a few weeks on the various religions of the world. I still remember what the Muslim call to prayer is.

Student bible groups used the library for meetings after school.


Then (at least in Roseville) some of the local church leaders started questioning why the schools were 'teaching' those 'other' religions- you know, like Judaism, Islam, Buddhism, when the USA was founded on 'Christian Ideals'. Never mind that those same ideals are expressed in virtually every religion- except for perhaps Satanism.

So- the first to go was the social studies look at religion. Well, then some vocal atheist leaning parents started squawking about how the school was 'endorsing' christianity and 'forcing' their children to read the bible. (Bible as literature was an elective course) Eventually, it was decided that to be fair there could be no group religious discourse on school property.

So, oddly enough- in this instance it was a combined effort of Christians and atheists that 'threw God out of school'.


It's kind of sad. I enjoyed those classes-even though I wasn't a believer. The writings of religion are also historical documents. They should be read by both believers and non-believers.
__________________
-rw-rw-rw
BlooMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2012, 06:40 PM   #46
mikesova
My 4x4 is a Subaru.
 
mikesova's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Gladwin, MI
Posts: 7,809
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to mikesova
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiefwoohaw View Post
I believe that we are being punished by God for turning away from him. . . or more or less he's allowing things to happen because he is no longer with us. Westboro isn't worng in their ideas as much as their delivery. They have a huge PR problem.

You hate god and love fags so I understand why you don't understand what they are meaning to say which is what most christians are saying about our wickedworld. It is directly related to God not being here because many americans (YOU) have asked him to leave.
Oh man...
mikesova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2012, 11:26 PM   #47
Chiefwoohaw
Pokerob is my B*tch!
 
Chiefwoohaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-06-05
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 11,508
iTrader: (7)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesova View Post
Oh man...
Sin is bad and causes destruction of society so sayeth the Lord. Similar to what they believe but worded in a way that your panties aren't in a bunch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by L4CX View Post
God is everywhere.
.
I understand but I also think you understand what I meant.
Chiefwoohaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2012, 12:13 AM   #48
stinkpickle
bitter clinger
 
stinkpickle's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-21-07
Location: Millbury, OH
Posts: 1,147
iTrader: (9)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiefwoohaw View Post
I believe that we are being punished by God for turning away from him. . . or more or less he's allowing things to happen because he is no longer with us. Westboro isn't worng in their ideas as much as their delivery. They have a huge PR problem.

You hate god and love fags so I understand why you don't understand what they are meaning to say which is what most christians are saying about our wickedworld. It is directly related to God not being here because many americans (YOU) have asked him to leave.
I'm not sure God is in the punishment business in this life anyways, as many denominational Christians believe. IMO God lets the chips fall where they may. Humanity in general, societies and individuals reap what they sow.

Last edited by stinkpickle; December 20th, 2012 at 12:47 AM.
stinkpickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2012, 11:08 AM   #49
L4CX
Out for the Summer!
 
L4CX's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-16-07
Location: Hillsdale, MI
Posts: 4,990
iTrader: (5)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiefwoohaw View Post
Sin is bad and causes destruction of society so sayeth the Lord. Similar to what they believe but worded in a way that your panties aren't in a bunch.



I understand but I also think you understand what I meant.
I totally do. I just choose not to say it the same way. and its' fun to mess with you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinkpickle View Post
I'm not sure God is in the punishment business in this life anyways, as many denominational Christians believe. IMO God lets the chips fall where they may. Humanity in general, societies and individuals reap what they sow.
I think he's just as much in the punishment business as he ever was. He's our father and we are his Children. Any good Father Punishes his children to teach them right or wrong. I know if I don't do anything about my 17 Month old touching the stove, he'll get burnt. God, In my overly simplistic understanding, is the same way. He sees where our country is going and does not want us there. I do not, however, think he does this directly through acts like this. That's just my personal Opinion.

As I've said, I believe this act was an effect of our fallen world and the direction our country is going. If anything, God tries to get us away from acts like this by trying to set us straight and bring us closer to him. It's not his fault that we ignore him Although most people will turn the blame on him anyways.
L4CX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2012, 12:21 PM   #50
mikesova
My 4x4 is a Subaru.
 
mikesova's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Gladwin, MI
Posts: 7,809
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to mikesova
Default

Here's a new as in old, like 1999) one that's been floating around on facebook now:

http://www.snopes.com/politics/guns/scott.asp
mikesova is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > Politics, Government, or Religion Chat

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:10 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright 2000 - 2012, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Page generated in 0.22622 seconds with 51 queries