ranger vs s10 vs ?? for light duty hauling ONE TIME - Page 7 - Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest

Go Back   Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > 4x4 Talk > Tow rigs and trailers
GL4x4 Live! GL4x4 Casino

greatlakes4x4.com is the premier Great Lakes 4x4 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Search
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old December 14th, 2012, 08:31 PM   #121
scottie
American Leyland??
 
scottie's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Sweet home Georgia on my mind
Posts: 8,490
iTrader: (2)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to scottie
Default

enterprise, they will pick you up, looks like you might have to lie to them and not tell them you are going to GEORGIA with it, but i bet the fine is less than the mileage if they find out
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	truck.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	99506  
scottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old December 14th, 2012, 08:57 PM   #122
82cj7ltd
Saved by Grace
 
Join Date: 07-10-12
Location: Waterford MI
Posts: 306
iTrader: (5)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottie View Post
enterprise, they will pick you up, looks like you might have to lie to them and not tell them you are going to GEORGIA with it, but i bet the fine is less than the mileage if they find out
well. that's interesting. I'd seen it before, but yea Georgia, and a lot of the south is off limits. Looks good though, since the only mileage I'd get charged for is outside of those states. chattanooga,tn, in way southern tennessee, is about 77 miles away from where I need to be.
so I'd get 150 free miles plus my unlimited mpg to southern tennessee.
So I'd likely get all my miles for free, maybe pay a few bucks extra!! Then all I'm paying for is gas and the truck, right?

This would be great if I was 25, but I'm not. I tried to get a quote on this earlier for my age group, but it wouldn't let me. I'm about to call enterprise and see what it costs me to do this. If it costs near this, this is my best option. Heavily considering it, thanks!!

Last edited by 82cj7ltd; December 14th, 2012 at 09:08 PM.
82cj7ltd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2012, 09:06 PM   #123
82cj7ltd
Saved by Grace
 
Join Date: 07-10-12
Location: Waterford MI
Posts: 306
iTrader: (5)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Mileage is unlimited when vehicle remains in michigan, ohio, illinois, indiana, west virginia, kentucky, pennsylvania, wisconsin, tennessee, minnesota, iowa, missouri, new jersey, north carolina, virginia, maryland, delaware, new york, connecticut, rhode island, massachusetts, new hampshire, vermont, washington, dc and ontario, canada.
If traveling outside of these states, mileage is charged at 150 miles free per day, 1050 miles per week, 3000 miles per month and 25 cents for each additional mile.
So down to southern tennessee looks to be free, then from there on I get charged. had to post that up so it can be seen, now I'll call enterprise.
82cj7ltd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2012, 09:11 PM   #124
Toivo
Feel lucky?
 
Toivo's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-24-06
Location: Denver
Posts: 5,147
iTrader: (13)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Have someone older than 25 rent it. Dad, brother, Uncle, grandpa, friend, etc.
Toivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2012, 09:31 PM   #125
82cj7ltd
Saved by Grace
 
Join Date: 07-10-12
Location: Waterford MI
Posts: 306
iTrader: (5)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toivo View Post
Have someone older than 25 rent it. Dad, brother, Uncle, grandpa, friend, etc.
yea.... they're gonna hit me with a $60+ fee for that (i have to call them in the morning) but I still end up half decent. I proceeded as a 25 year old just to see, and if you have to check off whether anyone under 25 will be driving the truck, so it's probably unavoidable.
82cj7ltd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2012, 09:34 PM   #126
82cj7ltd
Saved by Grace
 
Join Date: 07-10-12
Location: Waterford MI
Posts: 306
iTrader: (5)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

General Question: Will enterprise let me take a v6 car (like everyone was suggesting) and tow with it? Cause that would cut my rental costs in half. Just not sure if the whole "cobble a hitch on it" would fly with them.

I'm talking about anything from an "intermediate" corolla or senta to a "fullsize" impala, altima, or charger.
82cj7ltd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2012, 09:38 PM   #127
GREASYHANDS
PICKLES!!!!
 
GREASYHANDS's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-16-09
Location: Ravenna
Posts: 13,114
iTrader: (28)
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Default

Rental cars don't have hitches
__________________
Bare Bones Offroad
RIP FS4L
Pavement sucks
Meow
GREASYHANDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2012, 09:44 PM   #128
scottie
American Leyland??
 
scottie's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Sweet home Georgia on my mind
Posts: 8,490
iTrader: (2)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to scottie
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 82cj7ltd View Post
General Question: Will enterprise let me take a v6 car (like everyone was suggesting) and tow with it? Cause that would cut my rental costs in half. Just not sure if the whole "cobble a hitch on it" would fly with them.

I'm talking about anything from an "intermediate" corolla or senta to a "fullsize" impala, altima, or charger.
It's a rental, you return it in the same condition you found it.

scottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2012, 09:49 PM   #129
CheapThrillB2
FAWK YEAH!!
 
CheapThrillB2's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-06-06
Location: Middleville, MI
Posts: 31,207
iTrader: (61)
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Default

Buy my van, it already made the trip a couple weeks ago. Driving fast and.pushing for time we averaged 16 mpg. I bet taking it easy would net 18+. Hell measure the tub.....it might fit inside lol.
CheapThrillB2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2012, 10:20 PM   #130
82cj7ltd
Saved by Grace
 
Join Date: 07-10-12
Location: Waterford MI
Posts: 306
iTrader: (5)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GREASYHANDS View Post
Rental cars don't have hitches
Ok, well then it wouldnt make sense for me to rent a pickup either. I meant will they let me put one on?

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottie View Post
It's a rental, you return it in the same condition you found it.

So I can do it, but I'm responsible for it?
That's what I figured, but I mean would they even provide a hitch for a pickup?

Just wondering how to "cobble" a hitch onto a rented car without damaging it.... Especially a car....
82cj7ltd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2012, 10:54 PM   #131
dmcjeep
Senior Member
 
dmcjeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-07-05
Location: Grand Haven Mi.
Posts: 9,520
iTrader: (106)
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Default

OK Maybe I missed this somewhere but why not just by a fullsize truck with either the 6 cyl. manual or V-8 manual and just throw the tub in the back strap it down. Should still be able to get an easy 15-16 mpg or better with any of these trucks even with the auto trany I would think that 15-16 would still be real possible. Than you will have a better chance of getting AC and cruise control also. I am not sure but I would not be to suprised if yopu could even get a tub in the bed of an S-10 or Ranger with no trouble. Biggest issue would be what is the actuiakl weight that you would be hauling. In a little truck a difference of 700lbs-1000lbs could be a big difference. Skip the trailer altogether. A jeep tub will fit in the box of a full size truck with no issues and thats one less set of tires to worry about going flat or smokeing wheel bearings in the trailer wheels. I have hauled lots of cj tubs in my fullsize truck no problem. If you just put it into the back you could also still do a truck rental.
dmcjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2012, 11:45 PM   #132
82cj7ltd
Saved by Grace
 
Join Date: 07-10-12
Location: Waterford MI
Posts: 306
iTrader: (5)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Hey dmc, I'm with you on this. I was looking at smaller trucks like s10's and sonomas originally (which is what I started this thread for- to see what was thought to be a good truck & then a good engine/trans combo for it), but then realized i might be better off with say an f150 with the I6 manual.

The problem which has made this thread so long is that almost everyone thinks I'm foolish to think I can find a cheap and reliable truck to take down there. I personally disagree, and though I'm not sure what price range you're referring too, this was my plan originally, except I was gonna take a trailer.

The reason for the trailer (in my mind) was that I didn't think a front end clip and a tub would fit in an s10 bed or even an f150's (maybe I'm thinking of a short bed) for that matter. You've had lots of tubs though.... Do you think both items would fit in an s10/sonoma/ranger?

I will definitely be making some calls regarding truck renting today. and also whether I'd be able to fit a hitch to a full size car possibly.

Last edited by 82cj7ltd; December 14th, 2012 at 11:48 PM.
82cj7ltd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2012, 04:18 AM   #133
dmcjeep
Senior Member
 
dmcjeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-07-05
Location: Grand Haven Mi.
Posts: 9,520
iTrader: (106)
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Default

Is the front clip one piece or three? If it is a 3 piece clip I am almost positive that you could fit it into a S-10 or Ranger. If it is one piece it might be a little tighter but I think it would still fit fine. Either way I am guessing that you would need to put the tub in the truck on its side and than put the other pieces along side it. Or if it is 3 piece you could always lay a couple 2x4's across the top of the bed rails and than sit the tub on them and the three pieces under the tub. I personally would lay it on the side though. Strap it down and go. When I was younger it would not have bothered me at all to make the drive that you are talking. Now days I am to lazy and like others I would juast find somebody to send it here. Do I think you could find a truck reliable enough to make the trip for $1500 or so. Yes I think that is entirely possible. I just saw a Cherokee a couple days ago that was $950 and I think that one would have made the trip fine but than you are back to needing to haul a trailer and that just does not appeal to me personally.
dmcjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2012, 06:00 AM   #134
chadcooper55
expert jeep disassembler
 
chadcooper55's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08-28-08
Location: kent city mi
Posts: 8,033
iTrader: (20)
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Default

Buy a different jeep that is clean locally then sell your rusted out pos. Then you don't have to drive to Georgia or swap tubs.
chadcooper55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2012, 06:57 AM   #135
nickb304
Senior Member
 
nickb304's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-18-08
Location: jackson/mi
Posts: 615
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Option 1: find rust free full size truck for sale down south, buy plane ticket, take cab to truck, buy truck, go pick up your junk, drive home, post up add “southern truck for sale”, enjoy the profits!
Option 2: work some overtime or a side job to pay for shipping and fukc driving to Georgia back.
Option 3: do some pm work on your buddy’s blazer and hit the road. Is it really in bad enough shape that it is likely to break down half way to its next oil change?
Note: regardless of what you do, If a trailer is involved make sure you do some maintenance on that before you go. Pack bearings and make sure it has good tires properly inflated. Bring a spare. You are more likely to have problems with the cheap running gear on a small trailer than anything. Waterford to George is the exact distance it takes for un-serviced bearings to suffer a catastrophic failure resulting in the whole hub flying off the trailer and the spindle grinding on the cement lighting up the front of the greyhound bus behind you like the fourth of July and catching 300 yards of dry grass clipping along the highway on fire in the process.
nickb304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2012, 08:45 AM   #136
82cj7ltd
Saved by Grace
 
Join Date: 07-10-12
Location: Waterford MI
Posts: 306
iTrader: (5)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcjeep View Post
Is the front clip one piece or three? If it is a 3 piece clip I am almost positive that you could fit it into a S-10 or Ranger. If it is one piece it might be a little tighter but I think it would still fit fine. Either way I am guessing that you would need to put the tub in the truck on its side and than put the other pieces along side it. Or if it is 3 piece you could always lay a couple 2x4's across the top of the bed rails and than sit the tub on them and the three pieces under the tub. I personally would lay it on the side though. Strap it down and go. When I was younger it would not have bothered me at all to make the drive that you are talking. Now days I am to lazy and like others I would juast find somebody to send it here. Do I think you could find a truck reliable enough to make the trip for $1500 or so. Yes I think that is entirely possible. I just saw a Cherokee a couple days ago that was $950 and I think that one would have made the trip fine but than you are back to needing to haul a trailer and that just does not appeal to me personally.
alright, well it is a 1 piece front clip. Do you think that laying a fiberglass tub on its side and strapping it that way would damage the tub at all? Stress cracks or something like that?
I get the anti-trailer sentiment, but I was already going to be replacing its tires, repacking the bearings, and having a spare with me. Does that change your feeling on it at all?

My best looking options right now are: get a truck from enterprise and out the stuff in the bed or haul a trailer down, buy a truck and do the same, bus/train down there, and truck back.
82cj7ltd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2012, 08:50 AM   #137
GREASYHANDS
PICKLES!!!!
 
GREASYHANDS's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-16-09
Location: Ravenna
Posts: 13,114
iTrader: (28)
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Default

__________________
Bare Bones Offroad
RIP FS4L
Pavement sucks
Meow
GREASYHANDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2012, 08:52 AM   #138
82cj7ltd
Saved by Grace
 
Join Date: 07-10-12
Location: Waterford MI
Posts: 306
iTrader: (5)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickb304 View Post
Option 1: find rust free full size truck for sale down south, buy plane ticket, take cab to truck, buy truck, go pick up your junk, drive home, post up add “southern truck for sale”, enjoy the profits!
Option 2: work some overtime or a side job to pay for shipping and fukc driving to Georgia back.
Option 3: do some pm work on your buddy’s blazer and hit the road. Is it really in bad enough shape that it is likely to break down half way to its next oil change?
Note: regardless of what you do, If a trailer is involved make sure you do some maintenance on that before you go. Pack bearings and make sure it has good tires properly inflated. Bring a spare. You are more likely to have problems with the cheap running gear on a small trailer than anything. Waterford to George is the exact distance it takes for un-serviced bearings to suffer a catastrophic failure resulting in the whole hub flying off the trailer and the spindle grinding on the cement lighting up the front of the greyhound bus behind you like the fourth of July and catching 300 yards of dry grass clipping along the highway on fire in the process.
I've already said this, fyi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 82cj7ltd View Post
For those who want to suggest what has already been, here is a fairly brief summary of what I'm checking into.

1. A train or bus for the way down- price will be posted when I have a few quotes. May be feasible.

2. Fly down- $560
drive back (with truck bought in Georgia) gas=?? $200? food=$50? can't take more than 4oz with me.

3. Ship it via open carrier- $760-$815

4. Ship via Truck freight- I was told $420 for the tub, and $250 for the front clip. Still looking into it.
Talked to route55- he said my stuff was a little big for truck freight shipping.

5. buy a cheap car of some type? (v6, or even 4 cylinder jetta)? and drive that down there? (don't see how that's different than a truck- pls tell me)

Just so you all know I'm considering each idea I've been given.
edit: 6- fix buddy's blazer. he said it would need a good amount of work, and even it it was done, he's not very comfortable driving it long distances, so that will still be out of the question.

Yes, I was planning on re-packing bearings and getting new tires on it before I left, assuming I go that route, which I'm not sure about now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadcooper55 View Post
Buy a different jeep that is clean locally then sell your rusted out pos. Then you don't have to drive to Georgia or swap tubs.
I don't have a tub at all, let alone a rusted out one. There arent any clean jeeps locally. I've addressed this multiple times. The obvious and logical solution can't be solved so easily, or else I wouldn't have made a thread about it.
Thanks anyways.
82cj7ltd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2012, 08:55 AM   #139
82cj7ltd
Saved by Grace
 
Join Date: 07-10-12
Location: Waterford MI
Posts: 306
iTrader: (5)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GREASYHANDS View Post
Thanks for your opinion.








82cj7ltd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2012, 08:59 AM   #140
kareless
Dirty Little Girl!
 
kareless's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10-24-07
Location: Harrison, Mi
Posts: 4,248
iTrader: (8)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

http://centralmich.craigslist.org/pts/3466749672.html here ya go.. lots of pretty good looking cj parts.. and they are all in michigan.. :)
kareless is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > 4x4 Talk > Tow rigs and trailers

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:50 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright 2000 - 2012, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Page generated in 0.37938 seconds with 82 queries