Anyone here have a legit Near Death Experience? - Page 5 - Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest

Go Back   Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > The Pub
GL4x4 Live! GL4x4 Casino

The Pub A friendly forum where everybody is nice, and will answer any questions you have about life.

greatlakes4x4.com is the premier Great Lakes 4x4 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Search
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old November 4th, 2012, 12:31 AM   #81
SS
Blinded By The Light
 
SS's Avatar
 
Join Date: 12-12-05
Location: Mogadishu, Somalia
Posts: 11,985
iTrader: (14)
Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Default

For BlooMule:

"I know there will be people who will seek to invalidate my experience anyhow, and many will discount it out of court, because of a refusal to believe that what I underwent could possibly be "scientific"-could possibly be anything more than a crazy, feverish dream.
But I know better. And both for the sake of those here on Earth and those I met beyond this realm, I see it as my duty - both as a scientist and hence a seeker of truth, and as a doctor devoted to helping people - to make it known to as many people as I can that what I underwent is true, and real, and of stunning importance. Not just to me, but to all of us."

Read the book. The man was not only more set in his beliefs (which were the same as yours) but also holds more knowledge on what you're trying to use as evidence in your argument than every member of this board combined.
__________________
-Jeremy

Watch yourself. I'll light you up.
SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old November 4th, 2012, 06:38 AM   #82
BlooMule
pew pew
 
BlooMule's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-08-05
Location: a mile from the shithole
Posts: 25,363
iTrader: (12)
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Default

To convince me, you need empirical evidence, which can be validated through a scientific test with a control group. Results must be repeatable by anyone with access to the same or largely similar subjects and methods.

In other words, it must be observable by an unbiased outside source, or be proven mathematically with repeatable results.



THAT is how science works, not just using subjective data that can be influenced by outside sources.

i.e., one may not believe a particular myth, but if the myth permeates a culture deeply enough it an surface.

So, in conclusion- if belief in life after death makes you a happier living person, I'm good with that. Myself, I am ok with the concept that 'dead is dead', and I enjoy the experiences in life just fine with that viewpoint.
__________________
-rw-rw-rw
BlooMule is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2012, 09:05 AM   #83
SS
Blinded By The Light
 
SS's Avatar
 
Join Date: 12-12-05
Location: Mogadishu, Somalia
Posts: 11,985
iTrader: (14)
Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlooMule View Post
To convince me, you need empirical evidence, which can be validated through a scientific test with a control group. Results must be repeatable by anyone with access to the same or largely similar subjects and methods.

In other words, it must be observable by an unbiased outside source, or be proven mathematically with repeatable results.



THAT is how science works, not just using subjective data that can be influenced by outside sources.

i.e., one may not believe a particular myth, but if the myth permeates a culture deeply enough it an surface.

So, in conclusion- if belief in life after death makes you a happier living person, I'm good with that. Myself, I am ok with the concept that 'dead is dead', and I enjoy the experiences in life just fine with that viewpoint.
Aren't you at least a little curious as to what experience could've possibly have changed the opinion of one of the world's foremost authorities on neuroscience and the brain from one identical to yours to the belief in it?
__________________
-Jeremy

Watch yourself. I'll light you up.
SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2012, 09:39 AM   #84
Padilen
Senior Member
 
Padilen's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-17-12
Location: LeRoy Michigan
Posts: 1,750
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Default

SS,
I don't think any bodies experiences are identical in life or in death. And because are lives are different ,how we view our experiences are different.
Padilen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2012, 05:08 PM   #85
BlooMule
pew pew
 
BlooMule's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-08-05
Location: a mile from the shithole
Posts: 25,363
iTrader: (12)
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padilen View Post
SS,
I don't think any bodies experiences are identical in life or in death. And because are lives are different ,how we view our experiences are different.
Bingo!

A guy I used to hang with was 'dead' for 7 minutes during a triple bypass. He saw no lights, or dead relatives, or saviors, he said he was being chased by an enourmous spinning mud ball. Can't get anymore info from him because his heart did finally give out a few years ago. All I know is that for him- all the life after death stuff was 'Bullshit'.

Don't get too upset with me- this forum is all about opinions. If life after death comforts you and fits wih your beliefs, I'm not going to tell you you are wrong, I'm just explaining why it doesn't work for me. In a nutshell, it raises more contradictions than anything else. For one, if life after death exists, then why can't the dead communicate with us in a clear manner?

For me, the concept of death meaning the end of my existence and consciousness is easier to accept. It allows me to appreciate my life more and try to make the most of it rather than waiting to go to a 'better place'.
__________________
-rw-rw-rw
BlooMule is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2012, 05:40 PM   #86
aber61
Senior Member
 
aber61's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-22-08
Location: Commerce Twp. Michigan
Posts: 6,109
iTrader: (3)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreaseMonkey View Post
It's not that it isn't real. It does actually happen, just not in the way people think of their "soul" floating around checking shit out.

Yes, a story of a 4 year old going to a fictitious place and back is relevant in a scientific argument.
He told his dad and mom things that he would otherwise would have no idea about. About his mom losing a baby before he was born, about his grandpa he never knew and other unexpalinable things that how a 4 year old boy would not even know about. See if you knew little kids you know that when they tell you things they don't make up stories. They usually tell you truth. Funny thing is the stories he talked about actually lined up with things you would read about in the bible.
Read the book, it's good.
aber61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2012, 06:05 PM   #87
GreaseMonkey
Senior Member
 
GreaseMonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-04-05
Location: Madison Heights, MI
Posts: 17,989
iTrader: (22)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aber61 View Post
He told his dad and mom things that he would otherwise would have no idea about. About his mom losing a baby before he was born, about his grandpa he never knew and other unexpalinable things that how a 4 year old boy would not even know about. See if you knew little kids you know that when they tell you things they don't make up stories. They usually tell you truth. Funny thing is the stories he talked about actually lined up with things you would read about in the bible.
Read the book, it's good.
I'm sure the things he mentioned had NEVER been discussed in the family every before.

I read the bible and studied it in high school. I went to Catholic school. Biggest hypocritical crock of shit ever. That statement applies both to the bible and to Catholic school.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerryann View Post
I am not a lesbian but if I was I would do her.
GreaseMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2012, 06:56 PM   #88
aber61
Senior Member
 
aber61's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-22-08
Location: Commerce Twp. Michigan
Posts: 6,109
iTrader: (3)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreaseMonkey View Post
I'm sure the things he mentioned had NEVER been discussed in the family every before.

I read the bible and studied it in high school. I went to Catholic school. Biggest hypocritical crock of shit ever. That statement applies both to the bible and to Catholic school.
Read the book it tells all about how it happened.
aber61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2012, 08:41 PM   #89
amc78cj7
Senior Member
 
amc78cj7's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-07-05
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Posts: 5,354
iTrader: (9)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

My brother was in a very bad car accident about 20 years ago. Driving 60mph after a late shift, falls asleep at wheel, hits oncoming car. car was smashed like a tin can. Jaws of life to get him out. He was in a coma for a couple of weeks. About a day before coming out of the coma he had a verbal "conversation" with an angel while my folks were in the room. Didn't open his eyes or anything, just started talking. Then another day passed and he miraculously became conscious.
__________________
I'm not quoting idiots who promote unsafe recovery strap techniques anymore. :miff:
amc78cj7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2012, 08:54 PM   #90
BlooMule
pew pew
 
BlooMule's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-08-05
Location: a mile from the shithole
Posts: 25,363
iTrader: (12)
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Default

Perception is reality....
__________________
-rw-rw-rw
BlooMule is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2012, 06:52 AM   #91
GreaseMonkey
Senior Member
 
GreaseMonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-04-05
Location: Madison Heights, MI
Posts: 17,989
iTrader: (22)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aber61 View Post
Read the book it tells all about how it happened.
Yea, and Clifford the Big Red Dog exists too.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerryann View Post
I am not a lesbian but if I was I would do her.
GreaseMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2012, 07:18 AM   #92
aber61
Senior Member
 
aber61's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-22-08
Location: Commerce Twp. Michigan
Posts: 6,109
iTrader: (3)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreaseMonkey View Post
Yea, and Clifford the Big Red Dog exists too.
You can lead a horse to water but you can't make em' drink.
aber61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2012, 07:52 AM   #93
GreaseMonkey
Senior Member
 
GreaseMonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-04-05
Location: Madison Heights, MI
Posts: 17,989
iTrader: (22)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aber61 View Post
You can lead a horse to water but you can't make em' drink.
Let's be honest. It's not like you're arguing with an ignorant fool when it comes to the bible. I have read it, studied it, had tests on it, etc. throughout 6 years of Catholic school.

There are some decent lessons on how to live life in there, but other than that it's a big crock of shit.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerryann View Post
I am not a lesbian but if I was I would do her.
GreaseMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2012, 08:05 AM   #94
amc78cj7
Senior Member
 
amc78cj7's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-07-05
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Posts: 5,354
iTrader: (9)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreaseMonkey View Post
Let's be honest. It's not like you're arguing with an ignorant fool when it comes to the bible. I have read it, studied it, had tests on it, etc. throughout 6 years of Catholic school.

There are some decent lessons on how to live life in there, but other than that it's a big crock of shit.
I think we've identified the problem. Sometimes it's not the course content that's the problem, it's the instructor.
__________________
I'm not quoting idiots who promote unsafe recovery strap techniques anymore. :miff:
amc78cj7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2012, 08:25 AM   #95
SS
Blinded By The Light
 
SS's Avatar
 
Join Date: 12-12-05
Location: Mogadishu, Somalia
Posts: 11,985
iTrader: (14)
Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by amc78cj7 View Post
I think we've identified the problem. Sometimes it's not the course content that's the problem, it's the instructor.
__________________
-Jeremy

Watch yourself. I'll light you up.
SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > The Pub

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:46 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright 2000 - 2012, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Page generated in 0.35370 seconds with 66 queries