people stranded in NY - Page 3 - Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest

Go Back   Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > The Pub
GL4x4 Live! GL4x4 Casino

The Pub A friendly forum where everybody is nice, and will answer any questions you have about life.

greatlakes4x4.com is the premier Great Lakes 4x4 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Search
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old October 31st, 2012, 12:58 PM   #41
whiterhino
I'm not old, honest...
 
whiterhino's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-07-06
Location: Davisburg MI
Posts: 22,388
iTrader: (22)
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hosejockey4506 View Post
I agree that they are retarded and should have moved to higher ground and they wouldnt be my first priority


but..

They also pay taxes which fund public services such as fire, ems, police, coast guard..... so to say they shouldn't be rescued with out paying is a bit far fetched. "Our Government" has put these organizations into effect so when people do get hurt doing stupid stuff there is some one there to help them. If you don't agree with it then maybe you should vote differently.
You say that because you get paid by the hour to go fetch these dumb asses.....

Me? I say I don't waht to pay your wages or the gas/ wear & tear for vehicles out of my tax dollars. I'd rather keep you safe and give you a raise to wash & wax your purty red truck.
__________________
GLFWDA member since 1979.
Member Southern Michigan Rock Crawlers.
whiterhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old October 31st, 2012, 01:03 PM   #42
hosejockey4506
Visiting Admin
 
hosejockey4506's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: fenton
Posts: 8,855
iTrader: (43)
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiterhino View Post
You say that because you get paid by the hour to go fetch these dumb asses.....

Me? I say I don't waht to pay your wages or the gas/ wear & tear for vehicles out of my tax dollars. I'd rather keep you safe and give you a raise to wash & wax your purty red truck.
I agree with you, dont yell at me.

But on the same token i dont think we should spend thousands upon thousands of tax payers dollars to save drunks from car accidents and drug addicts from over dosing so they can turn around and do it all over again.
hosejockey4506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2012, 01:05 PM   #43
hosejockey4506
Visiting Admin
 
hosejockey4506's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: fenton
Posts: 8,855
iTrader: (43)
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Default

i can guarantee some heads would roll if we (as a Fire department) told some one to get bent and we weren't going to help them because we felt they were stupid, and they died as a result of not getting help.
hosejockey4506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2012, 01:18 PM   #44
Mr.Green456123
I can levitate!
 
Mr.Green456123's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-29-05
Location: Nort Keralina
Posts: 8,301
iTrader: (6)
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Default

Time to drop water wings and wool socks by helicopter into the city. Good luck peeps!
Mr.Green456123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2012, 01:24 PM   #45
RyeBread
Catch the wave
 
RyeBread's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-08-05
Location: Fenton
Posts: 7,959
iTrader: (2)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiterhino View Post
In true disaster zones? No
But I wouldn't call New York & surrounding areas disaster zones. This was a rare occurance versus living in below sea level New Orleans.
Atlantic City New Jersey's average elevation is 10' above mean sea level. Storm surges higher than that are not unknown even if significant storms in that area are few and far between in our lifetimes.

It is in my humble opinion just as moronic to populate areas such as Manhattan, the Jersey Shore and any of those barrier islands to the point of tens of thousands of people per square mile as it is build a series of dams, pumping stations and the like to create a city in the swamp below sea level in Louisiana

Regarding the evacuation orders. By some estimates it would take 5 days to fully evacuate that region given the congestion. Many people in that area do not own their own vehicles.

Those that said "nah...I'm alright I survived Irene" and then realized they were way over their head, especially if they had the means to evacuate are obviously the ones that most of us want to see punished with living with the consequences of their decisions.

However... this is 'Merica where nothing is ever our own fault, and excuses reign supreme.
RyeBread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2012, 01:25 PM   #46
whiterhino
I'm not old, honest...
 
whiterhino's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-07-06
Location: Davisburg MI
Posts: 22,388
iTrader: (22)
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hosejockey4506 View Post
I agree with you, dont yell at me.

But on the same token i dont think we should spend thousands upon thousands of tax payers dollars to save drunks from car accidents and drug addicts from over dosing so they can turn around and do it all over again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hosejockey4506 View Post
i can guarantee some heads would roll if we (as a Fire department) told some one to get bent and we weren't going to help them because we felt they were stupid, and they died as a result of not getting help.
I agree it's a fine line between drunks and drug addicts and someone who had one too many pops. No one wants to see anyone overdose. But, when it becomes habitual, I wish there was some way to stop them. And with this example is addiction, something the people in NY didn't have. Those people were just to fucking stupid to listen. Help them? Sure.......... when you get around to it.
__________________
GLFWDA member since 1979.
Member Southern Michigan Rock Crawlers.
whiterhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2012, 01:35 PM   #47
whiterhino
I'm not old, honest...
 
whiterhino's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-07-06
Location: Davisburg MI
Posts: 22,388
iTrader: (22)
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyeBread View Post
Atlantic City New Jersey's average elevation is 10' above mean sea level. Storm surges higher than that are not unknown even if significant storms in that area are few and far between in our lifetimes.

It is in my humble opinion just as moronic to populate areas such as Manhattan, the Jersey Shore and any of those barrier islands to the point of tens of thousands of people per square mile as it is build a series of dams, pumping stations and the like to create a city in the swamp below sea level in Louisiana

Regarding the evacuation orders. By some estimates it would take 5 days to fully evacuate that region given the congestion. Many people in that area do not own their own vehicles.

Those that said "nah...I'm alright I survived Irene" and then realized they were way over their head, especially if they had the means to evacuate are obviously the ones that most of us want to see punished with living with the consequences of their decisions.

However... this is 'Merica where nothing is ever our own fault, and excuses reign supreme.
All good points. I draw some lines between mainland and the barrier islands, and I admit my lines may be fuzzy.: Most of us are familiar with the term "100 year flood" and I would consider Sandy to fall into that catagory. They are saying Sandy is the largest storm on record and they have been saying the subways have never flooded in New York. (at this magnitude anyway, I'm sure there have been localized problems) So, what happened to inner New York and New Jersey is different than those on the barrier islands. My guess is that those on the barrier islands probably require flood insurance by their carriers. Still, how often have any of the barrier islands been destroyed?

All of us are at risk for some wild natural disaster. The question in my mind is whether it was predictable and likely or a rare chance and if these people were taking a high risk. Living 10 ft above sea level makes a lot more sense than living below sea level.
__________________
GLFWDA member since 1979.
Member Southern Michigan Rock Crawlers.
whiterhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2012, 01:36 PM   #48
XXXJ
Desert Rat
 
XXXJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-09-07
Location: Memphis, Mi
Posts: 5,671
iTrader: (13)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlooMule View Post
Not a fan, but I gotta admit he 'handled' this right. Went in, said 'that's awful' and promised money.

That's about all he can do, really.
All we can really say is he hasn't fucked it up.......YET!

The libs are scrambling to funnel disaster money to their favorite donors and slush funds. But everyone is watching
XXXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2012, 04:22 PM   #49
Jeeper52
Budget, what budget?
 
Jeeper52's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08-27-11
Location: windsor ontario
Posts: 680
iTrader: (4)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

stupid people shouldnt be allowed to talk therefore no asking for help
Jeeper52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2012, 05:38 PM   #50
MonkeyBiz
Master Cocksman
 
MonkeyBiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-06-05
Location: Whitehall
Posts: 8,613
iTrader: (10)
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to MonkeyBiz
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hosejockey4506 View Post
I agree with you, dont yell at me.

But on the same token i dont think we should spend thousands upon thousands of tax payers dollars to save drunks from car accidents and drug addicts from over dosing so they can turn around and do it all over again.
Kinda like the guy we 'saved' 4 times in a week and a half after attempted suicides? Finally made it the 5 try. :hesadumbass:


And Christy has been asked about a Presidential bid.. He's claimed he has no interest.
__________________
In bed, according to prophesy.
MonkeyBiz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2012, 08:18 AM   #51
Brods
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 01-21-07
Location: Salem, Mi
Posts: 704
iTrader: (2)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiterhino View Post
In true disaster zones? No
But I wouldn't call New York & surrounding areas disaster zones. This was a rare occurance versus living in below sea level New Orleans.
My comment was more about the ocean front housing, not so much NYC. Did you read the article in the link?
Quote:
Well, people take the risk, because our government encourages us to take it. I know all about this, because I did it myself.
In 1980, I bought some beachfront property on Long Island, N.Y., and built a house there. It was a big investment for me. The down payment took just about all of my savings, and I knew what can happen to people who build on the edges of oceans. But I took the risk because the government made me a promise.
People building on a beach or in flood plains or anywhere for that matter should have to pay fair market prices for insurance and not be subsidized by the taxpayer. The government should not be subsidizing insurance at all! At the very minimum, anyone who currently has subsidized coverage on dwellings should be weaned off the government teat by attrition. They get one shot coverage. If their house gets damaged they get a one time payment to do as they please. Rebuild or move. If they rebuild they are on their own and at the mercy of the free market rates.
Brods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2012, 10:10 AM   #52
feva4u
LCG
 
feva4u's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-01-07
Location: Petoskey, MI
Posts: 10,498
iTrader: (12)
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Default

I pay flood insurance on a flow controlled lake in MI that requires a 3' tall dam to even maintain it's water level. It's spring fed and only has an outlet via the dam. The lake hasn't flooded in the 175ish yrs people have been living there. I started having to pay this right after Katrina returned the swamp to a swamp............weird. Fuck flood insurance, you can't even claim on it unless the area is declared a disaster, which as pointed out above, the gov subsidizes everything in the area anyway. It's another tax to pay for said "stupid people" that built shit and live where they shouldn't. All it does is make my house harder to sell because now it's label "high risk" and the word "flood" scares people away. The even more fucked up thing is that even though the lake occupies 2 counties, only my county has mandated coverage. Evidently the lake will only flood in my county if it ever were to flood. I'm not bitter though
__________________
My Jeep
feva4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2012, 10:23 AM   #53
bdd1469
bdd
 
bdd1469's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-12-10
Location: alto mi
Posts: 2,107
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to bdd1469
Default

Im curious how you all feel about the inicent children of the idiots who didnt evac? Are these kids supposed to suffer because the parents are idiots?
Im all for natural selection but we have the resources to rescue people,so leaving them to suffer,or die isn't really natural,just punishment.
bdd1469 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2012, 11:39 AM   #54
BlooMule
Jet powered
 
BlooMule's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-08-05
Location: a mile from the shithole
Posts: 26,572
iTrader: (12)
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdd1469 View Post
Im curious how you all feel about the inicent children of the idiots who didnt evac? Are these kids supposed to suffer because the parents are idiots?
Im all for natural selection but we have the resources to rescue people,so leaving them to suffer,or die isn't really natural,just punishment.
Idiots beget idiots.


Let's count the number of world changing geniuses that come from ignorant upbringing.
__________________
-rw-rw-rw
BlooMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > The Pub

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:44 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright 2000 - 2012, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Page generated in 0.33984 seconds with 63 queries