St Helen rock course 5/18/12 - Page 3 - Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest

Go Back   Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > Pictures and Video
GL4x4 Live! GL4x4 Casino

Pictures and Video A forum for 4x4 related photos and videos

greatlakes4x4.com is the premier Great Lakes 4x4 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Search
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old May 21st, 2012, 09:16 PM   #41
whiterhino
I'm not old, honest...
 
whiterhino's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-07-06
Location: Davisburg MI
Posts: 22,109
iTrader: (22)
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kixx007 View Post
So you're saying the guy who owns St. Helen Powersports isn't solely responsible for those rocks?

I bet this will be a disappointment!
ummm....... not sure what you are saying but I don't think he attended any of the meetings. However, lots of people ponied up additional money for rocks and it is much appreciated.
__________________
GLFWDA member since 1979.
Member Southern Michigan Rock Crawlers.
whiterhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old May 22nd, 2012, 08:49 AM   #42
CreativeFab
used to be Ironman
 
CreativeFab's Avatar
 
Join Date: 12-01-05
Location: midland
Posts: 3,215
iTrader: (35)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kixx007 View Post
So you're saying the guy who owns St. Helen Powersports isn't solely responsible for those rocks?

I bet this will be a disappointment!
lol indeed
CreativeFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2012, 10:05 AM   #43
phittie1100
Senior Member
 
phittie1100's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-27-05
Location: Burton, MI
Posts: 1,865
iTrader: (16)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Default

We were up there over the weekend, and I was disappointed to see what we all knew would happen eventually - the middle challenge has a lot of displaced rocks. Down to the construction cloth in a big area, lots of rocks moved either down the hill or over to the left where the challenge has gotten much wider. The other obstacles still look pretty good, but the moving rocks have left a big ledge at the top, with nothing under your rear wheels for traction except that cloth which will not last long. I sent a note to to Paige and Amanda, but I have never heard any mention of a budget for R&R.

__________________
Paul - 2005 Wrangler Unlimited
KD8PAV
phittie1100 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2012, 11:11 AM   #44
bigbchevy
missmrgreenagain
 
bigbchevy's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-15-07
Location: fenton /hartland mi
Posts: 19,674
iTrader: (167)
Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Default

I liked that spot lol
__________________
H.o.r.e
(mr.green)So you are calling CC a liar?? Not a nice way to treat your bitch.
tube bending and gear installs pm me for info! gears installed for $150 and up per axle.
bigbchevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2012, 12:02 PM   #45
runcis
" It's Science "
 
runcis's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08-02-11
Location: Fenton MI
Posts: 168
iTrader: (5)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

bigb had fun climbing up that one. It was a good challenge and worked to get it. Nice job pudding!!
runcis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2012, 12:18 PM   #46
whiterhino
I'm not old, honest...
 
whiterhino's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-07-06
Location: Davisburg MI
Posts: 22,109
iTrader: (22)
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by phittie1100 View Post
We were up there over the weekend, and I was disappointed to see what we all knew would happen eventually - the middle challenge has a lot of displaced rocks. Down to the construction cloth in a big area, lots of rocks moved either down the hill or over to the left where the challenge has gotten much wider. The other obstacles still look pretty good, but the moving rocks have left a big ledge at the top, with nothing under your rear wheels for traction except that cloth which will not last long. I sent a note to to Paige and Amanda, but I have never heard any mention of a budget for R&R.
Maybe now they will realize that we were right when we said the fabric underneath is not so good of an idea. The rocks need to be able to settle into the dirt, not sit on top of a toboggan.

Now, instead of letting it go flat, we need another project to bring in more rocks at the tops.
__________________
GLFWDA member since 1979.
Member Southern Michigan Rock Crawlers.
whiterhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2012, 12:49 PM   #47
dreezy
Haggard Fab
 
dreezy's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-28-08
Location: Holland Mi
Posts: 10,282
iTrader: (7)
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to dreezy Send a message via MSN to dreezy
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiterhino View Post
Maybe now they will realize that we were right when we said the fabric underneath is not so good of an idea. The rocks need to be able to settle into the dirt, not sit on top of a toboggan.

Now, instead of letting it go flat, we need another project to bring in more rocks at the tops.
Were they affraid of weeds growing in the rock gardens?
__________________
"you think you're precious, I think you're shit."

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScOoTeR View Post
Ryan, if I wanted any shit from you, I'd go looking for Leah's strap-on.
dreezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2012, 12:57 PM   #48
phittie1100
Senior Member
 
phittie1100's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-27-05
Location: Burton, MI
Posts: 1,865
iTrader: (16)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Default

No - they were trying to figure a way to place rocks on a sandy hill without the weather and vehicles on the rocks pushing them into the sand.
__________________
Paul - 2005 Wrangler Unlimited
KD8PAV
phittie1100 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2012, 01:09 PM   #49
kickstand
sHaMoNe!
 
kickstand's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-20-06
Location: fenton
Posts: 31,802
iTrader: (46)
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Default

The DNR should take a look at some of the techniques used by IMBA for sustainable trail building with minimal maintenance. Obviously mountain bikes are different then jeeps, but our trails see a lot of use, erosion, rock and log stacking/clearing, as well.

I hope they don't close it down and actually help repair or allow it to be repaired.

Last edited by kickstand; May 22nd, 2012 at 01:22 PM.
kickstand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2012, 02:54 PM   #50
landj
GLFWDA,UFWDA,SOFO,MEMBER
 
landj's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08-04-10
Location: st.helen michigan
Posts: 326
iTrader: (4)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

landj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2012, 04:35 PM   #51
CreativeFab
used to be Ironman
 
CreativeFab's Avatar
 
Join Date: 12-01-05
Location: midland
Posts: 3,215
iTrader: (35)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

We had several discussions on the placement of these rocks on the yellow sand in this area. We knew we had to use some sort of "retaining device" and were hoping the large rocks would stay in place therefore keeping the smaller stuff in between them. Guess that is not happening. Even the excavation contractor had no good alternatives.

I do wonder if the rocks themselves will eventually settle into their place and we can somehow place more if we need to on top of them. Mind you this will take additional funding and maybe even another grant request. These items were discussed in the several on-site meetings but none of us believed we would see it so soon. Time to get to work on a solution it seems, let the ideas fly!
CreativeFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2012, 05:18 PM   #52
Coyote Red
Senior Member
 
Coyote Red's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08-24-11
Location: Chelsea, MI
Posts: 1,044
iTrader: (7)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Default

Say someone showed up with a few pick-up loads of field rocks that just happen to end up at the top of the run?

Back on topic. It looks like a fun place to play.
Coyote Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2012, 08:44 PM   #53
Bigredgmc98
Not afraid of crossbows
 
Bigredgmc98's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10-15-08
Location: Fenton /MI
Posts: 178
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

http://s34.photobucket.com/albums/d1...=IMG_07352.mp4

Here is one more of yours Joe
Bigredgmc98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2012, 09:09 PM   #54
kixx007
Certified Ypsilantian
 
kixx007's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08-14-06
Location: Not Metamora, Mi
Posts: 4,464
iTrader: (8)
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Default

I never see people post pictures of the long crawl to the left of the tubes (while you are looking UP). Did you guys run it while you were there?
kixx007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2012, 09:19 PM   #55
kickstand
sHaMoNe!
 
kickstand's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-20-06
Location: fenton
Posts: 31,802
iTrader: (46)
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreativeFab View Post
We had several discussions on the placement of these rocks on the yellow sand in this area. We knew we had to use some sort of "retaining device" and were hoping the large rocks would stay in place therefore keeping the smaller stuff in between them. Guess that is not happening. Even the excavation contractor had no good alternatives.

I do wonder if the rocks themselves will eventually settle into their place and we can somehow place more if we need to on top of them. Mind you this will take additional funding and maybe even another grant request. These items were discussed in the several on-site meetings but none of us believed we would see it so soon. Time to get to work on a solution it seems, let the ideas fly!
Telephone pole type timbers driven down into the ground, with a cross bar, and rocks, in a terrace fashion.
kickstand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2012, 09:27 PM   #56
whiterhino
I'm not old, honest...
 
whiterhino's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-07-06
Location: Davisburg MI
Posts: 22,109
iTrader: (22)
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Default

To me, let the rocks sink into the sand and just add more on top. No large boulders will sit on a slope with a barrier in between for long. That's the basics of an avalanche.... there is a disparity between different layers of snow. Same thing here.
__________________
GLFWDA member since 1979.
Member Southern Michigan Rock Crawlers.
whiterhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2012, 09:42 PM   #57
kixx007
Certified Ypsilantian
 
kixx007's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08-14-06
Location: Not Metamora, Mi
Posts: 4,464
iTrader: (8)
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickstand View Post
Telephone pole type timbers driven down into the ground, with a cross bar, and rocks, in a terrace fashion.
The DNR is REALLY good with this method. It's what they do when they close a hill. And then cut all the trees down to fall across the trail!
kixx007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2012, 09:55 PM   #58
High Center Hancho
rack tap re-rack click
 
High Center Hancho's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-10-07
Location: Genesee County
Posts: 13,530
iTrader: (40)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kixx007 View Post
The DNR is REALLY good with this method. It's what they do when they close a hill. And then cut all the trees down to fall across the trail!
dont forget they like to add signs that say, "you dollars at work keeping your trails open"
High Center Hancho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2012, 09:58 PM   #59
kickstand
sHaMoNe!
 
kickstand's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-20-06
Location: fenton
Posts: 31,802
iTrader: (46)
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kixx007 View Post
The DNR is REALLY good with this method. It's what they do when they close a hill. And then cut all the trees down to fall across the trail!
It's a really effective way to keep the rocks and minimize erosion if done correctly.
kickstand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2012, 09:59 PM   #60
CreativeFab
used to be Ironman
 
CreativeFab's Avatar
 
Join Date: 12-01-05
Location: midland
Posts: 3,215
iTrader: (35)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyote Red View Post
Say someone showed up with a few pick-up loads of field rocks that just happen to end up at the top of the run?

Back on topic. It looks like a fun place to play.
If you bring rocks to this course and I am there I will help you unload them!
CreativeFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > Pictures and Video

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:01 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright 2000 - 2012, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Page generated in 0.30576 seconds with 81 queries