Go Back   Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > Politics, Government, or Religion Chat
GL4x4 Live! GL4x4 Casino

Politics, Government, or Religion Chat Bring your flamesuit!







Search
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old May 15th, 2012, 06:20 PM   #101
aber61
Senior Member
 
aber61's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-22-08
Location: Commerce Twp. Michigan
Posts: 6,078
iTrader: (3)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinRRT View Post
You're right, we should hate, discriminate, and generally berate gay people for being gay. I think my God would approve of that behavior.
Because I disagree I hate!!! Typical liberal hate speach blaming others for what they themselves are most guilty of.
Obviously you do not understand the word of God. Read it and see what God says about men that lie with men. You need to take that up with Him because He said it first and i am only agreeing with what God said.
aber61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2012, 06:24 PM   #102
opie
www.krissplicing.com
 
Join Date: 07-21-08
Location: Lansing, MI
Posts: 818
iTrader: (10)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aber61 View Post
Just the notion of telling our kids(6 yr old and up) about gay sex is NOT the business of the schools or the gay groups that push to inform minors that its ok to be gay.
Who said its not OK to be Gay and who grants this individual that authority?

Why are all the die hard religious folk so quick to cast judgements? Doesn't the God that tells you homosexuality is wrong, the same one that tells you to "judge not?"

While I agree its not the business the the school to teach about gay sexuality, its not the business to teach any type of sexuality. Thats the parents job/responsibility.
opie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2012, 06:25 PM   #103
jeepinRRT
Senior Member
 
jeepinRRT's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-13-08
Location: Grand Rapids,MI
Posts: 3,627
iTrader: (9)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aber61 View Post
Because I disagree I hate!!! Typical liberal hate speach blaming others for what they themselves are most guilty of.
Obviously you do not understand the word of God. Read it and see what God says about men that lie with men. You need to take that up with Him because He said it first and i am only agreeing with what God said.
Because it's your job to judge others based on his "words"?

Did you forget about the whole "He who has no sin, blah blah blah, glass house, blah blah, small rocks" thing?
jeepinRRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2012, 06:29 PM   #104
opie
www.krissplicing.com
 
Join Date: 07-21-08
Location: Lansing, MI
Posts: 818
iTrader: (10)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aber61 View Post
Because I disagree I hate!!! Typical liberal hate speach blaming others for what they themselves are most guilty of.
Obviously you do not understand the word of God. Read it and see what God says about men that lie with men. You need to take that up with Him because He said it first and i am only agreeing with what God said.
So its religious persecution then?

"Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness." If Steve being with Steve makes both Steves happy, and the Steves want what they have called something so they can share in the same legal benefits Steve and Jane have because Steve and Jane are "married" in the eyes of the law, who grants you the authority to deny them their God given right? God may not agree with the Steves, but according to our founders, God did grant them this right and that right is protected.

What we need is a clear line of those who simply disagree with homosexuality, and those who don't care about homosexuality but do not want the union of two homosexuals called marriage. Personally I do not care what its called as long as a homosexual couple is afforded the same rights and protections as a straight married couple. It is their right.
opie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2012, 06:36 PM   #105
jeepinRRT
Senior Member
 
jeepinRRT's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-13-08
Location: Grand Rapids,MI
Posts: 3,627
iTrader: (9)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by opie View Post
So its religious persecution then?

"Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness." If Steve being with Steve makes both Steves happy, and the Steves want what they have called something so they can share in the same legal benefits Steve and Jane have because Steve and Jane are "married" in the eyes of the law, who grants you the authority to deny them their God given right? God may not agree with the Steves, but according to our founders, God did grant them this right and that right is protected.

What we need is a clear line of those who simply disagree with homosexuality, and those who don't care about homosexuality but do not want the union of two homosexuals called marriage. Personally I do not care what its called as long as a homosexual couple is afforded the same rights and protections as a straight married couple. It is their right.
Agree. I do see some validity to an argument against calling it "marriage" based on the idea that "marriage" has historical religious roots, but calling it a "civil union" or something reeks of "separate but equal". Fact is "marriage" has become more of a civil institution than religious, and everyone should be afforded the same "benefits" it provides.
jeepinRRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2012, 07:04 PM   #106
opie
www.krissplicing.com
 
Join Date: 07-21-08
Location: Lansing, MI
Posts: 818
iTrader: (10)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinRRT View Post
Agree. I do see some validity to an argument against calling it "marriage" based on the idea that "marriage" has historical religious roots, but calling it a "civil union" or something reeks of "separate but equal". Fact is "marriage" has become more of a civil institution than religious, and everyone should be afforded the same "benefits" it provides.
Excellent point and prompted me to think of something I had not initially considered...

If Marriage is a relationship between God and the parties involved, are those that get married but do not practice religion or believe in God, not married?

EDIT: Why cant the Steves go get hitched by the local magistrate? No religion involved.
opie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2012, 07:12 PM   #107
Ebs
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 11-06-05
Location: MI
Posts: 3,353
iTrader: (8)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by opie View Post

If Marriage is a relationship between God and the parties involved, are those that get married but do not practice religion or believe in God, not married?
Not in the eye's of that particular religion, but then again, if you don't practice or believe in that religion would you care?

Legally, you are still married (after the proper paperwork).

I would say the term 'marriage' is now recognized more as the act of a legal union than a religious ceremony. Plenty of people get married that have never set foot in a church. I'm not sure why it would become a problem when all of a sudden when some fairies want to use the term when people have been using that term without attaching any religious affiliation to it for quite a while.
Ebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2012, 07:33 PM   #108
opie
www.krissplicing.com
 
Join Date: 07-21-08
Location: Lansing, MI
Posts: 818
iTrader: (10)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebs View Post
Not in the eye's of that particular religion, but then again, if you don't practice or believe in that religion would you care?
I care because citizens are being denied their right to pursue their happiness because those of faith or those with a lack of personal security seem to think they can dictate how others lead their lives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebs View Post
Legally, you are still married (after the proper paperwork).
Only because I am married to a woman. If I married a man, my marriage would not be recognized even though I jumped through all the same hoops.

Thats the problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebs View Post
I would say the term 'marriage' is now recognized more as the act of a legal union than a religious ceremony. Plenty of people get married that have never set foot in a church. I'm not sure why it would become a problem when all of a sudden when some fairies want to use the term when people have been using that term without attaching any religious affiliation to it for quite a while.
I would agree. Just need to convince the religious folk that just because their God says its wrong, doesn't give them the authority to judge and dictate the lives of those who choose a different path.
opie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2012, 07:40 PM   #109
DuffMan
Your Message Here
 
DuffMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: The Ile of Grosse
Posts: 5,836
iTrader: (11)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

My issue with gay instructional videos or whatever they are is one of roles.

It's the role of the parents - if and how they so choose - to teach kids about sexuality - even if some school administrator or social worker disagrees.

It is not the role of government to do so.
__________________
This is the Pub. Leave common sense at the door.
DuffMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2012, 07:51 PM   #110
whiterhino
I'm not old, honest...
 
whiterhino's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-07-06
Location: Davisburg MI
Posts: 20,749
iTrader: (21)
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuffMan View Post
My issue with gay instructional videos or whatever they are is one of roles.

It's the role of the parents - if and how they so choose - to teach kids about sexuality - even if some school administrator or social worker disagrees.

It is not the role of government to do so.
Bingo.

RE choosing, I believe it is both. I know a gay person who tells me he has wires crossed. I know 2 different women who were married and after a failed marriage chose to cuddle in the arms of a woman/friend who could console them. After that, they turned.
__________________
GLFWDA member since 1979.
Member Southern Michigan Rock Crawlers.
whiterhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2012, 08:11 PM   #111
computeruser
Senior Member
 
computeruser's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-31-08
Location: East Lansing, MI
Posts: 389
iTrader: (9)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Here's a thought:

Get the gov't out of the "marriage" business entirely. All gov't sanctioned partner unions are civil, with a civil license/ceremony. Call it a civil union, a civil marriage, whatever, but recognize that this is the civil contract part of the equation that is enforceable through our civil court system.

If someone also wants a "marriage" ceremony through a church, they can go do that, too. This will be the religious contract/sacrament/etc. the terms of which are between the parties, their church, their God, etc., but not enforceable in civil courts.

This way the gov't isn't being forced to recognize a religious relationship, and religious groups aren't being forced to sanction something offensive to them.
computeruser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2012, 08:34 PM   #112
mschaffer66
Senior Member
 
mschaffer66's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: West Bloomfield, MI
Posts: 9,188
iTrader: (17)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiterhino View Post
I know 2 different women who were married and after a failed marriage chose to cuddle in the arms of a woman/friend who could console them. After that, they turned.
That's hot...
mschaffer66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2012, 08:38 PM   #113
whiterhino
I'm not old, honest...
 
whiterhino's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-07-06
Location: Davisburg MI
Posts: 20,749
iTrader: (21)
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschaffer66 View Post
That's hot...
Not really. Can't expand on it but trust me......... it's not.
__________________
GLFWDA member since 1979.
Member Southern Michigan Rock Crawlers.
whiterhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2012, 09:25 PM   #114
kickstand
sHaMoNe!
 
kickstand's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-20-06
Location: fenton
Posts: 30,757
iTrader: (46)
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Default

Saw one of my sons classmates climb into a car with two women in it, I said hey, who's with your friend Steven's mom, he replied.....his other mom he has two and doesn't have a daddy...
kickstand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2012, 09:28 PM   #115
jeepinRRT
Senior Member
 
jeepinRRT's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-13-08
Location: Grand Rapids,MI
Posts: 3,627
iTrader: (9)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickstand View Post
Saw one of my sons classmates climb into a car with two women in it, I said hey, who's with your friend Steven's mom, he replied.....his other mom he has two and doesn't have a daddy...
OMG! NO WAY, the earth didn't stop? Your kid wasn't turned gay? I call lies....
jeepinRRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2012, 09:39 PM   #116
L4CX
Out for the Summer!
 
L4CX's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-16-07
Location: Hillsdale, MI
Posts: 4,913
iTrader: (5)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreaseMonkey View Post
Keep drinking the kool-aid in the wine glass and Christ crackers.....
We use grape juice and bread. But Seriously, you're coming off as if my decision is worse or better then your decision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinRRT View Post
Because it's your job to judge others based on his "words"?

Did you forget about the whole "He who has no sin, blah blah blah, glass house, blah blah, small rocks" thing?
We're not to judge. We are to love. Can't stand people that use the bible to hate. I think it's Jesus in the Sermon on the mount that specifically calls out his followers about judging non-believers. His words were along the lines of "How you judge others is exactly how you will be judged by God."


Quote:
Originally Posted by opie View Post

What we need is a clear line of those who simply disagree with homosexuality, and those who don't care about homosexuality but do not want the union of two homosexuals called marriage. Personally I do not care what its called as long as a homosexual couple is afforded the same rights and protections as a straight married couple. It is their right.


Quote:
Originally Posted by opie View Post
Excellent point and prompted me to think of something I had not initially considered...

If Marriage is a relationship between God and the parties involved, are those that get married but do not practice religion or believe in God, not married?

EDIT: Why cant the Steves go get hitched by the local magistrate? No religion involved.
Because the term marriage was adopted to our laws from the old traditions of the church? Maybe.
L4CX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2012, 09:54 PM   #117
kickstand
sHaMoNe!
 
kickstand's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-20-06
Location: fenton
Posts: 30,757
iTrader: (46)
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinRRT View Post
OMG! NO WAY, the earth didn't stop? Your kid wasn't turned gay? I call lies....
Nope, my son survived unscathed. First time I've seen a gay couple with a child actually. Which is funny timing due to this thread and it being a hot topic in the news right now. I asked my ex and she said "I've only ever met his mom and she seemed nice" no shit captain obvious he has two moms, obviously you never met his dad lol
kickstand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2012, 09:55 PM   #118
jeepinRRT
Senior Member
 
jeepinRRT's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-13-08
Location: Grand Rapids,MI
Posts: 3,627
iTrader: (9)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by L4CX View Post
We're not to judge. We are to love. Can't stand people that use the bible to hate. I think it's Jesus in the Sermon on the mount that specifically calls out his followers about judging non-believers. His words were along the lines of "How you judge others is exactly how you will be judged by God."



What pisses me off is the fact I am looked upon poorly by Christians because I, for a lack of a better word, am an atheist (No one can say there is or isn't and if there is, awesome, if not, thats awesome too), and I live a better life than the vast majority of Christians I know. I treat all as equals, nice to eveyone, yada yada, yada, and the most "christian" people I know are the most judgmental, hateful and hypocritical people I know.
jeepinRRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2012, 09:56 PM   #119
jeepinRRT
Senior Member
 
jeepinRRT's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-13-08
Location: Grand Rapids,MI
Posts: 3,627
iTrader: (9)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickstand View Post
Nope, my son survived unscathed. First time I've seen a gay couple with a child actually. Which is funny timing due to this thread and it being a hot topic in the news right now. I asked my ex and she said "I've only ever met his mom and she seemed nice" no shit captain obvious he has two moms, obviously you never met his dad lol


One of the reasons shes the ex?
jeepinRRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2012, 10:17 PM   #120
L4CX
Out for the Summer!
 
L4CX's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-16-07
Location: Hillsdale, MI
Posts: 4,913
iTrader: (5)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinRRT View Post


What pisses me off is the fact I am looked upon poorly by Christians because I, for a lack of a better word, am an atheist (No one can say there is or isn't and if there is, awesome, if not, thats awesome too), and I live a better life than the vast majority of Christians I know. I treat all as equals, nice to eveyone, yada yada, yada, and the most "christian" people I know are the most judgmental, hateful and hypocritical people I know.
It is sad that you label them the most Christian. I would much rather prefer people correlate the Character of "Christian" as loving, caring, and humble. I think alot of Christians forget how much grace has been given to them. Some of them even mean well, they just don't go about doing it in the most loving way.
L4CX is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > Politics, Government, or Religion Chat
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:38 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright 2000 - 2012, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Copyright 2005 - 2012 Cracker Enterprises - Powered by Linux
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=
Page generated in 0.30542 seconds with 53 queries