Peddly bikes - Page 4 - Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest

Go Back   Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > The Pub
GL4x4 Live! GL4x4 Casino

The Pub A friendly forum where everybody is nice, and will answer any questions you have about life.

greatlakes4x4.com is the premier Great Lakes 4x4 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Search
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old March 21st, 2012, 07:03 AM   #61
kickstand
sHaMoNe!
 
kickstand's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-20-06
Location: fenton
Posts: 31,362
iTrader: (46)
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnbikinbryno View Post


http://mmba.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=109430

This one just sold but that's the level of bike you should be getting for $150-$175.
That was my first "mountain bike" Exact same color scheme and everything. Paid $600 or $500 OTD, and rode that bike HARD for a number of years. I sold it last fall for $50. I regret it to this day, I wish I would have upgraded the fork and turned it into a single speed.

Something like that is a great bike for what most of you guys sound like you want to do.
kickstand is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old March 21st, 2012, 07:07 AM   #62
tsaguy
drink the hotdog water.
 
tsaguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-17-08
Location: Big Mountain, Michigan 48458
Posts: 4,347
iTrader: (3)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickstand View Post
I have a bad lower back, what I find helps is riding the bike and strengthening the muscles in my back so I don't have to worry about it.
Are you saying riding the bike helps to strengthen your lower back?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepbrattt View Post
I do drive a jeep and I have puffed a peter maybe once or twice

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveo View Post
I am willing to bet its a bunch of geriatric old farts bitching about anyone under 50 and touching each others weiners.
tsaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2012, 07:09 AM   #63
kickstand
sHaMoNe!
 
kickstand's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-20-06
Location: fenton
Posts: 31,362
iTrader: (46)
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsaguy View Post
Are you saying riding the bike helps to strengthen your lower back?
I'm saying my low back is bad, and when I ride long distances or early in the season it fatigues quickly.

I find the more I ride, the less I feel this, and the more I strengthen the lower back muscles through other exercise the less I feel this also.

My point was to stop using the bad lower back as an excuse and go through the proper means to rehab the low back. Lose weight, stretch, strengthen, correct posture, etc.
kickstand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2012, 07:10 AM   #64
BlooMule
pew pew
 
BlooMule's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-08-05
Location: a mile from the shithole
Posts: 25,633
iTrader: (12)
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Default

This would be good for MsChaffer too.....

http://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/bik/2889037486.html
__________________
-rw-rw-rw
BlooMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2012, 07:11 AM   #65
tsaguy
drink the hotdog water.
 
tsaguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-17-08
Location: Big Mountain, Michigan 48458
Posts: 4,347
iTrader: (3)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickstand View Post
I'm saying my low back is bad, and when I ride long distances or early in the season it fatigues quickly.

I find the more I ride, the less I feel this, and the more I strengthen the lower back muscles through other exercise the less I feel this also.

My point was to stop using the bad lower back as an excuse and go through the proper means to rehab the low back. Lose weight, stretch, strengthen, correct posture, etc.
Ok. Thanks.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepbrattt View Post
I do drive a jeep and I have puffed a peter maybe once or twice

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveo View Post
I am willing to bet its a bunch of geriatric old farts bitching about anyone under 50 and touching each others weiners.
tsaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2012, 07:15 AM   #66
BlooMule
pew pew
 
BlooMule's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-08-05
Location: a mile from the shithole
Posts: 25,633
iTrader: (12)
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnbikinbryno View Post
$50 - $75 would be more like it.

For some reason people think their old ass bikes are gold. If I see the word "Vintage" in a Craigslist title I don't even bother looking.
Last year I sold off the bulk of my 'vintage' collection, mostly British built bikes from the late 50's - early 70's. Had a couple super clean Schwinn Collegiates in the mix as well. No 'Crate' type bikes. Didn't price anything over $75- hell, most I had nothing invested in them. Sold 15 bikes in 12 hours. People is dumb.
__________________
-rw-rw-rw
BlooMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2012, 07:15 AM   #67
mschaffer66
Senior Member
 
mschaffer66's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: West Bloomfield, MI
Posts: 9,243
iTrader: (17)
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlooMule View Post
This would be good for MsChaffer too.....

http://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/bik/2889037486.html
pfft...needs a bigger motor to haul my fat ass.
mschaffer66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2012, 07:17 AM   #68
BlooMule
pew pew
 
BlooMule's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-08-05
Location: a mile from the shithole
Posts: 25,633
iTrader: (12)
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Default

One thing to remember- even the low end of a high end bike is better than the high end of a low end bike.
__________________
-rw-rw-rw
BlooMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2012, 07:25 AM   #69
Yetti
Buy a Fiat! Save the UAW!
 
Yetti's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: 20 minutes south of Hell...
Posts: 14,385
iTrader: (10)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlooMule View Post
Last year I sold off the bulk of my 'vintage' collection, mostly British built bikes from the late 50's - early 70's. Had a couple super clean Schwinn Collegiates in the mix as well. No 'Crate' type bikes. Didn't price anything over $75- hell, most I had nothing invested in them. Sold 15 bikes in 12 hours. People is dumb.
just a thought. if someone wants Crates I know a guy who has like 600 of them over by Ypsi. pm me if you are interested
__________________
Yetti
Yetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2012, 08:00 AM   #70
bdd1469
bdd
 
bdd1469's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-12-10
Location: alto mi
Posts: 2,069
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to bdd1469
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickstand View Post
well, it's a 95, that means it's 17 years old, needs new tires, brakes, tune up, etc.

It should fetch $50
The tires are still pliable,with no cracks or checking.I wish ritchie made truck tires.

I thought maybe I could sell it to someone that would use it,but for $50 it will hang in my garage for ever.
bdd1469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2012, 08:28 AM   #71
ScOoTeR
hoo dat. wat.
 
ScOoTeR's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-09-05
Location: Howell
Posts: 21,577
iTrader: (36)
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickstand View Post
That was my first "mountain bike" Exact same color scheme and everything. Paid $600 or $500 OTD, and rode that bike HARD for a number of years. I sold it last fall for $50. I regret it to this day, I wish I would have upgraded the fork and turned it into a single speed.

Something like that is a great bike for what most of you guys sound like you want to do.
Is that the same bike that I have $40 of my own money / parts invested? You damn jackass.
__________________
@clarkstoncracker
ScOoTeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2012, 08:33 AM   #72
ScOoTeR
hoo dat. wat.
 
ScOoTeR's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-09-05
Location: Howell
Posts: 21,577
iTrader: (36)
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschaffer66 View Post
That was one of the ones I saw last night.

I think I'm kinda in the the sub $200 mindset. I'd like to try it out. If its something I get into I don't mind spending good money on a better one in the future.
Someone of your stature should stay away from bikes with cantilever brakes.

Seriously.

Think of "manual drum brakes" on a heavy car after driving through 12" of water, i.e. you won't be able to stop very well on that thing and may hurt yourself or others. Don't do it. Think of the children!
__________________
@clarkstoncracker
ScOoTeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2012, 08:50 AM   #73
mschaffer66
Senior Member
 
mschaffer66's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: West Bloomfield, MI
Posts: 9,243
iTrader: (17)
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScOoTeR View Post
Someone of your stature should stay away from bikes with cantilever brakes.

Seriously.

Think of "manual drum brakes" on a heavy car after driving through 12" of water, i.e. you won't be able to stop very well on that thing and may hurt yourself or others. Don't do it. Think of the children!
Would it be like Skoots drills, slotted, vented, etc... rotors?
mschaffer66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2012, 09:13 AM   #74
kickstand
sHaMoNe!
 
kickstand's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-20-06
Location: fenton
Posts: 31,362
iTrader: (46)
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScOoTeR View Post
Is that the same bike that I have $40 of my own money / parts invested? You damn jackass.
Yes, I sold it to a kid who was trying to find a bike so he could join the high school cycling team. He had posted up on mmba.org

At first I thought I was being all nice and charitable, but after never hearing back from the kid and knowing if he ever joined his high school mountain biking team like he and his dad had promised and gotten updates I'm just feeling like a sad panda.
kickstand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2012, 09:40 AM   #75
BlooMule
pew pew
 
BlooMule's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-08-05
Location: a mile from the shithole
Posts: 25,633
iTrader: (12)
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickstand View Post
Yes, I sold it to a kid who was trying to find a bike so he could join the high school cycling team. He had posted up on mmba.org

At first I thought I was being all nice and charitable, but after never hearing back from the kid and knowing if he ever joined his high school mountain biking team like he and his dad had promised and gotten updates I'm just feeling like a sad panda.
Did you start a whiny bitchy thread about it on mmba.org?
__________________
-rw-rw-rw
BlooMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2012, 09:45 AM   #76
ScOoTeR
hoo dat. wat.
 
ScOoTeR's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-09-05
Location: Howell
Posts: 21,577
iTrader: (36)
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschaffer66 View Post
Would it be like Skoots drills, slotted, vented, etc... rotors?
Look for "linear pull V -brakes" - they're what you want.
__________________
@clarkstoncracker
ScOoTeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2012, 09:48 AM   #77
BlooMule
pew pew
 
BlooMule's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-08-05
Location: a mile from the shithole
Posts: 25,633
iTrader: (12)
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Default

Mike should get a fixie- just for our amusement.
__________________
-rw-rw-rw
BlooMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2012, 10:25 AM   #78
BooGTS
Boost Withdrawl
 
BooGTS's Avatar
 
Join Date: 12-12-05
Location: Royal Oak
Posts: 2,685
iTrader: (28)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyJ View Post
Dang. Trying to find a good bike for my soon to be 8-year old who is already 4'9". Everything that was good to better as a kid is now junk.
Thats why I kept my Mongoose from when I was a kid for my kids. Same with a '87 20" Schwinn that is mint. No point in paying $75 for a pile of crap at Walmart just so its new. I'm thinking about putting new tires on my mom's (mens bike) '75 Varsity. Rode very nice until the tires turned to dust...
BooGTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2012, 10:51 AM   #79
kerryann
German cars are hot
 
kerryann's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: West Bloomfield
Posts: 11,442
iTrader: (3)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickstand View Post
I'm saying my low back is bad, and when I ride long distances or early in the season it fatigues quickly.

I find the more I ride, the less I feel this, and the more I strengthen the lower back muscles through other exercise the less I feel this also.

My point was to stop using the bad lower back as an excuse and go through the proper means to rehab the low back. Lose weight, stretch, strengthen, correct posture, etc.
I guess my only concern is when people say bad back they mean their back hurts from time to time. I don't want to see Mike trying to do something to improve his health and it actually leads him to back surgery number 3.
I think he would need something that he isn't slouching over and can sit more upright. I do agree that he needs to strengthen his core and drop some weight but I don't want to see him crippled for almost a year again.
kerryann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2012, 11:05 AM   #80
ScOoTeR
hoo dat. wat.
 
ScOoTeR's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-09-05
Location: Howell
Posts: 21,577
iTrader: (36)
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerryann View Post
I guess my only concern is when people say bad back they mean their back hurts from time to time. I don't want to see Mike trying to do something to improve his health and it actually leads him to back surgery number 3.
I think he would need something that he isn't slouching over and can sit more upright. I do agree that he needs to strengthen his core and drop some weight but I don't want to see him crippled for almost a year again.
http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes...lassic_steel/#
__________________
@clarkstoncracker
ScOoTeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > The Pub

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:38 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright 2000 - 2012, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Page generated in 0.35906 seconds with 82 queries