Porn Hurts Marriage. (Now NSFW) - Page 9 - Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest

Go Back   Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > Politics, Government, or Religion Chat
GL4x4 Live! GL4x4 Casino

Politics, Government, or Religion Chat Bring your flamesuit!

greatlakes4x4.com is the premier Great Lakes 4x4 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Search
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old March 18th, 2012, 08:10 AM   #161
opie
www.krissplicing.com
 
Join Date: 07-21-08
Location: Lansing, MI
Posts: 817
iTrader: (10)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by L4CX View Post
I totally agree. The purpose of this sermon was to show that a porn addiction can harm a marriage.
Anything can harm a marriage. Saying one particular thing will harm a marriage and applying it equally and broad smells of agenda. Yes porn can be detrimental to a marriage, but not all of them. While we all may be wired the same at the basic instinct level, we are all individuals and treat different scenarios differently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by L4CX View Post
Once again, I think the purpose of this sermon was to show that it CAN be a problem and why.
I dont think your average human being needs a sermon for that message.

I got the impression by your first post, and a few subsequent posts, that porn will harm all marriages and even those who say "porn is OK" are still destroying their marriage despite them thinking they are fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by L4CX View Post
Stalin, Hitler, Mao all thought that our brains develop the same? I was merely saying that it's not so much opinion that our brains develop the same.
It wasnt the brain develop part.. It was the "whats true for one person" part. Our brains do not develop the same. If you had kids you would understand this. Ive got two, 9 and almost 6. No way their brains are developing the same. Not a chance. You can take a look at all levels of society and see our brains, on a broad scale, do not develop the same. Sure there are commonalities among groups of people and those people tend to find one another and clump.

Quote:
Originally Posted by L4CX View Post
Do you, at least, understand what my point was? Common Sense is just like opinion. It's based in experience.
Absolutely, and personally I would agree. Porn would hurt my marriage because I know my wife would be averse to it. So if I choose to start watching it, she will have issues. But thats MY situation. Others will be different.

Its the equal application to all, under the thought that since one thing is true for one person, it must be true for all, that lands you in dangerous territory. Especially from a sermon.
opie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old March 18th, 2012, 11:46 AM   #162
High Center Hancho
rack tap re-rack click
 
High Center Hancho's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-10-07
Location: Genesee County
Posts: 13,479
iTrader: (40)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aber61 View Post
Maybe you can tell me were I've been wrong. We all have faults and opinions. I am no different then the rest. It does seem to be that Christians are held to a higher standard because of guidelines we follow. When we do mess up people seem to jump all over it.
you think its okay for one Christian can speak for all...and for that you are an asshole
High Center Hancho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2012, 11:59 AM   #163
BlooMule
Jet powered
 
BlooMule's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-08-05
Location: a mile from the shithole
Posts: 26,038
iTrader: (12)
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aber61 View Post
Maybe you can tell me were I've been wrong. We all have faults and opinions. I am no different then the rest. It does seem to be that Christians are held to a higher standard because of guidelines we follow. When we do mess up people seem to jump all over it.
Sorry. Non-believers and athiests do not hold Christians to a higher standard.

However, some Christians seem to believe they have higher standards simply because they are Christians. Those are the ones who get jumped all over when they screw up.


BTW, nice avatar. Very open minded and chock full o' forgiveness.
__________________
-rw-rw-rw
BlooMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2012, 07:17 PM   #164
Nuggets
I fix stuff!
 
Nuggets's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-15-06
Location: Bay City, MI
Posts: 13,445
iTrader: (13)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlooMule View Post
Sorry. Non-believers and athiests do not hold Christians to a higher standard.

However, some Christians seem to believe they have higher standards simply because they are Christians. Those are the ones who get jumped all over when they screw up.


BTW, nice avatar. Very open minded and chock full o' forgiveness.
Truf
Nuggets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2012, 07:28 PM   #165
mxracer763
Senior Member
 
mxracer763's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-11-10
Location: Huron Township, MI
Posts: 298
iTrader: (2)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Center Hancho View Post
you think its okay for one Christian can speak for all...and for that you are an asshole
this
mxracer763 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2012, 07:55 PM   #166
aber61
Senior Member
 
aber61's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-22-08
Location: Commerce Twp. Michigan
Posts: 6,230
iTrader: (3)
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Center Hancho View Post
you think its okay for one Christian can speak for all...and for that you are an asshole
I believe and back up what Scott has to say. I stand behind him 100%. He speaks from what he has learned through his father, school and studies. He speaks from his heart and has a willing to help people who do not understand what Christianity is about.
You tend to accept what he has to say at least some of it and you call me names because I agree that he speaks for other Christians.
I could see if I did not agree with what he was saying and it was not the true word of God then yes I would have something to say.
There is so much of that going with new age Christanity, saying what our ears want to hear. Nothing convicting and nothing making us think I am I in need of a Saviour, am I a sinner and do I need to be saved from my sins?
You did mention you are a Christian, I do need to ask... what kind?
From your posts I can assume it is not one that believes the bible to be the word of God.
There are many out there that call themselves Christians and when it comes to Jesus and what He did, dieing on the cross coming back to life to save us from our sins. That is were the line is drawn for many. The numbers I think go from like 80% of Americans to 9% that believe the bible and Jesus is who He said He was.
aber61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2012, 08:13 PM   #167
aber61
Senior Member
 
aber61's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-22-08
Location: Commerce Twp. Michigan
Posts: 6,230
iTrader: (3)
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlooMule View Post
Sorry. Non-believers and athiests do not hold Christians to a higher standard.

However, some Christians seem to believe they have higher standards simply because they are Christians. Those are the ones who get jumped all over when they screw up.


BTW, nice avatar. Very open minded and chock full o' forgiveness.
That is what you believe it to be. There are people that do watch Christains very closely and wait for them to mess up and then jump at the chance to say you Christians are no better than the rest of sociey. We all make mistakes and screw up as Christains we are suppose to try a little harder to be an example.
And yes some Christains do think higher of themselves than they ought to and that is pride.
As for my avitar. I am being open minded, how can anybody coexist with people trying to kill you. You can attempt to live with people but when they toss rockets over everyday it makes things kinda difficult.
I never mentioned anything about not forgiving them for what hey are doing. Its not right besides its God that forgives others. When something is done to me then I have an opportunity to forgive.
aber61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2012, 08:16 PM   #168
High Center Hancho
rack tap re-rack click
 
High Center Hancho's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-10-07
Location: Genesee County
Posts: 13,479
iTrader: (40)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aber61 View Post
I believe and back up what Scott has to say. I stand behind him 100%. He speaks from what he has learned through his father, school and studies. He speaks from his heart and has a willing to help people who do not understand what Christianity is about.
You tend to accept what he has to say at least some of it and you call me names because I agree that he speaks for other Christians.
I could see if I did not agree with what he was saying and it was not the true word of God then yes I would have something to say.
There is so much of that going with new age Christanity, saying what our ears want to hear. Nothing convicting and nothing making us think I am I in need of a Saviour, am I a sinner and do I need to be saved from my sins?
You did mention you are a Christian, I do need to ask... what kind?
From your posts I can assume it is not one that believes the bible to be the word of God.
There are many out there that call themselves Christians and when it comes to Jesus and what He did, dieing on the cross coming back to life to save us from our sins. That is were the line is drawn for many. The numbers I think go from like 80% of Americans to 9% that believe the bible and Jesus is who He said He was.
you are worthless to even attempt to debate with because you are an asshole
High Center Hancho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2012, 08:19 PM   #169
aber61
Senior Member
 
aber61's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-22-08
Location: Commerce Twp. Michigan
Posts: 6,230
iTrader: (3)
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Center Hancho View Post
you are worthless to even attempt to debate with because you are an asshole
And you say I an not open minded.
aber61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2012, 08:53 PM   #170
L4CX
Out for the Summer!
 
L4CX's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-16-07
Location: Hillsdale, MI
Posts: 4,996
iTrader: (5)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by opie View Post
Anything can harm a marriage. Saying one particular thing will harm a marriage and applying it equally and broad smells of agenda. Yes porn can be detrimental to a marriage, but not all of them. While we all may be wired the same at the basic instinct level, we are all individuals and treat different scenarios differently.


I dont think your average human being needs a sermon for that message.

I got the impression by your first post, and a few subsequent posts, that porn will harm all marriages and even those who say "porn is OK" are still destroying their marriage despite them thinking they are fine.
I could understand why I might come across that way. I see porn as a very possible problem for marriages. While there are "Stronger minded" people, there are half a dozen others that I believe could get sucked in. I am one person that has struggled with porn. I forged those 'pathways' in my mind when I was a Teenager, not knowing the repercussions it would have on my marriage and relationships. I've been married for 4 years and I still am tempted to go down that road often. The only reason I don't is because of the support of my wife and knowledge like that shared in this sermon.

The purpose of me posting this was to throw out a life preserver for anybody who might still struggle or may not yet be in over thier head. A few people have already PM'ed me about it and thanked me for posting it.


Quote:
It wasnt the brain develop part.. It was the "whats true for one person" part. Our brains do not develop the same. If you had kids you would understand this. Ive got two, 9 and almost 6. No way their brains are developing the same. Not a chance. You can take a look at all levels of society and see our brains, on a broad scale, do not develop the same. Sure there are commonalities among groups of people and those people tend to find one another and clump.
I get what you're saying and know this from witnessing the difference in me and my twin brother. We are Literally polar opposite.

Quote:
Absolutely, and personally I would agree. Porn would hurt my marriage because I know my wife would be averse to it. So if I choose to start watching it, she will have issues. But thats MY situation. Others will be different.

Its the equal application to all, under the thought that since one thing is true for one person, it must be true for all, that lands you in dangerous territory. Especially from a sermon.
That last part was for Riding Dirty. But thanks for understanding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlooMule View Post
Sorry. Non-believers and athiests do not hold Christians to a higher standard.

However, some Christians seem to believe they have higher standards simply because they are Christians. Those are the ones who get jumped all over when they screw up.


BTW, nice avatar. Very open minded and chock full o' forgiveness.
"That wasn't very Christian Like" has been muttered to me by both of the parties you mentioned above. Multiple times. Multiple people. This would indicate that they do, indeed, hold us to a higher standard.

Which is ok, because we should be living our lives to a higher standard. More importantly we should understand that we are only in the right standing with God we're in by What Christ did for us on the cross. I'm not aspiring to be at a higher standard to look down on someone, I'm aspiring to do that because I'm trying to BE like someone who was perfect. To look down on someone who is an unbeliever is the complete opposite of what Jesus taught and is spitting in the face of God showing us Grace and Mercy. Sadly, though, you are right in alot of cases. I'm merely saying that that's not what Christ taught and it's indication that he is not done with that believer yet in allowing them to come to a complete understanding of God's grace to them.
L4CX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2012, 08:59 PM   #171
BlooMule
Jet powered
 
BlooMule's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-08-05
Location: a mile from the shithole
Posts: 26,038
iTrader: (12)
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aber61 View Post
That is what you believe it to be. There are people that do watch Christains very closely and wait for them to mess up and then jump at the chance to say you Christians are no better than the rest of sociey. We all make mistakes and screw up as Christains we are suppose to try a little harder to be an example.
And yes some Christains do think higher of themselves than they ought to and that is pride.
As for my avitar. I am being open minded, how can anybody coexist with people trying to kill you. You can attempt to live with people but when they toss rockets over everyday it makes things kinda difficult.
I never mentioned anything about not forgiving them for what hey are doing. Its not right besides its God that forgives others. When something is done to me then I have an opportunity to forgive.
There are Christians who preach to non Christians about how they will burn in hell for not accepting Christ. This is fine with me, as they are doing what they should do- save their fellow man from eternal damnation in their eyes.
However, by doing so you are giving the impression that you believe you are better than them- you are 'saved' and they are not.

If it is God that forgives, how can you possibly be given an opportunity to forgive?
This is the problem I have with some Christians- Their faith gives them the claim to have all the answers. Non-believers can simply say "I don't know".
__________________
-rw-rw-rw
BlooMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2012, 09:11 PM   #172
curbdog17
Mini Van
 
curbdog17's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08-10-08
Location: 49415
Posts: 32,511
iTrader: (23)
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Default

I scan through this thread every now and again looking for porn.
I have thus far been unamused.
__________________
17
curbdog17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2012, 09:15 PM   #173
BlooMule
Jet powered
 
BlooMule's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-08-05
Location: a mile from the shithole
Posts: 26,038
iTrader: (12)
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by curbdog17 View Post
I scan through this thread every now and again looking for porn.
I have thus far been unamused.
Heathen
__________________
-rw-rw-rw
BlooMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2012, 09:27 PM   #174
aber61
Senior Member
 
aber61's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-22-08
Location: Commerce Twp. Michigan
Posts: 6,230
iTrader: (3)
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlooMule View Post
There are Christians who preach to non Christians about how they will burn in hell for not accepting Christ. This is fine with me, as they are doing what they should do- save their fellow man from eternal damnation in their eyes.
However, by doing so you are giving the impression that you believe you are better than them- you are 'saved' and they are not.

If it is God that forgives, how can you possibly be given an opportunity to forgive?
This is the problem I have with some Christians- Their faith gives them the claim to have all the answers. Non-believers can simply say "I don't know".
Christians that threaten others about buring in hell is wrong and scare tactics usually don't work and only turn off the very ones we need to be working on to show and convince they are going down the wrong path.
I would put it this way, Instead of saying your going to burn in hell, or would you rather be separated from God. The first is abrasive and a turn off the second is a question giving you the opportunity to make a choice.
Actually sharing my faith and belief with others is being genuine and not wanting you or others to suffer an eternity separated from God.
By not sharing, one would be selfish to think they could keep God to themselves. Jesus came for everybody and wishes that none would perish. I think that is why He is waiting before His return.

As for forgiving, if somebody does you or friends or family members wrong then You can and should forgive them. But things and people out of your control, that is God's thing.
As for Christians having all the answers, I don't but I have access to God and He has all the answers.
Some things I say here I am speaking from my mind and thinking without asking God or waiting for an answer how to reply.
I do speak out somewhat abrasive on comments which some things I should ignore but get caught up and as Scott says get myself in trouble.
I do appologize to any I have offended because that was and is not my intention. I see things as black and white and forgetting who I am speaking to. I do need to give you guys more slack.
I have said it before Scott has a way with words and I do wish I could communicate as well as he does. I don't, I just say it like I see it. I 'll try and do better to answer and debate accordingly. Thanks.
aber61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2012, 09:37 PM   #175
Nuggets
I fix stuff!
 
Nuggets's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-15-06
Location: Bay City, MI
Posts: 13,445
iTrader: (13)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by curbdog17 View Post
I scan through this thread every now and again looking for porn.
I have thus far been unamused.
Nuggets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2012, 09:50 PM   #176
curbdog17
Mini Van
 
curbdog17's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08-10-08
Location: 49415
Posts: 32,511
iTrader: (23)
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Default

Now I'm amused.
Thanks
__________________
17
curbdog17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2012, 09:56 PM   #177
BlooMule
Jet powered
 
BlooMule's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-08-05
Location: a mile from the shithole
Posts: 26,038
iTrader: (12)
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuggets View Post
wow. anal fixations?
__________________
-rw-rw-rw
BlooMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2012, 10:39 PM   #178
Nuggets
I fix stuff!
 
Nuggets's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-15-06
Location: Bay City, MI
Posts: 13,445
iTrader: (13)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlooMule View Post
wow. anal fixations?
Don't get your hopes up.
Nuggets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2012, 09:53 AM   #179
BlooMule
Jet powered
 
BlooMule's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-08-05
Location: a mile from the shithole
Posts: 26,038
iTrader: (12)
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuggets View Post
Don't get your hopes up.
Just the combination of avatar, post, and, errr other things...

Topic appropriate porn:

__________________
-rw-rw-rw
BlooMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2012, 02:51 PM   #180
L4CX
Out for the Summer!
 
L4CX's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-16-07
Location: Hillsdale, MI
Posts: 4,996
iTrader: (5)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastevo View Post
So if Women are cons...................t right? Oh well. regards, Steve
Quote:
Originally Posted by L4CX View Post

Jesus's Return - reference please? I can't quite remember that one. I would love to look into it and crack open my strong concordance to study the original text.

Honestly, I'm here to talk. I have no problem going over the contradiction and I'm even willing to except that I might not know the answer. I would go as far to assure that I wouldn't go to my pastor unless you give me permission. I can bet that most of them I have heard and can explain though. You don't have to do all of them. Just the ones you think will be harder for me to explain.

I. Am. Here. To. Talk.
L4CX is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > Politics, Government, or Religion Chat

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:00 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright 2000 - 2012, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Page generated in 0.51434 seconds with 81 queries