Go Back   Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > 4x4 Talk > Rig Builds and Pics
GL4x4 Live! GL4x4 Casino

Rig Builds and Pics Introduce your rig or post a buildup here.







Search
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old February 16th, 2012, 01:57 PM   #101
trailrail302
Im going FAST!!!
 
trailrail302's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-22-07
Location: north of the equator
Posts: 2,990
iTrader: (10)
Anyone on here good at fiberglass work? I need some help making a fiberglass mold, these will be big molds for bedside/fenders. any help would be great! even just some tips would be good I have not messed with fiberglass that much. I want to make prerunner fenders and bedsides. there is one company that makes some but I dont like them at all. plus the bedsides are stock size and I want to stretch this around 20"

Plus if I make a mold If I rip one off I can just make another. I have searched every way possible. even fabing ranger bedsides but nothing will get me exactly what I want unless I custom make them myself.
trailrail302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2012, 03:49 PM   #102
Mclovin
"The Situation"
 
Mclovin's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-07-05
Location: Dearborn Heights, Mi
Posts: 14,390
iTrader: (15)
Send a message via AIM to Mclovin Send a message via Yahoo to Mclovin
I saw it on TV once
Mclovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2012, 03:17 PM   #103
Elvis13
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 05-15-11
Location: Addison Township, MI
Posts: 1,172
iTrader: (7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailrail302 View Post
Anyone on here good at fiberglass work? I need some help making a fiberglass mold, these will be big molds for bedside/fenders. any help would be great! even just some tips would be good I have not messed with fiberglass that much. I want to make prerunner fenders and bedsides. there is one company that makes some but I dont like them at all. plus the bedsides are stock size and I want to stretch this around 20"

Plus if I make a mold If I rip one off I can just make another. I have searched every way possible. even fabing ranger bedsides but nothing will get me exactly what I want unless I custom make them myself.
What all are you curious about? I worked in a shop were we made many a fiberglass mold by hand. I was a machinist on the other side of the building but i got to help out now and then. They built basic plywood boxes and mocked up the inside to create the shape (very similar to plastic molds but only creating a cavity or core). They used a lot of mahagony and wood bondo and would shave and tweak the mold by hand (surforms, files, etc.).

If you were creating a cavity you would have to spend some time getting the inside smooth before actually using it. But for fenders you could probably get away with creating a core and could leave the mold with some imperfections. Wax it up and lay your fiberglass down. Just make sure you don't create any pockets or backdraft that will prevent it from coming off the core. I contemplated the same thing for a few projects but never actually went through with it.

If you have more questions or want some pictures i know i could get you some. I still know a lot of people that work there.
Elvis13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2012, 05:33 PM   #104
trailrail302
Im going FAST!!!
 
trailrail302's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-22-07
Location: north of the equator
Posts: 2,990
iTrader: (10)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvis13 View Post
What all are you curious about? I worked in a shop were we made many a fiberglass mold by hand. I was a machinist on the other side of the building but i got to help out now and then. They built basic plywood boxes and mocked up the inside to create the shape (very similar to plastic molds but only creating a cavity or core). They used a lot of mahagony and wood bondo and would shave and tweak the mold by hand (surforms, files, etc.).

If you were creating a cavity you would have to spend some time getting the inside smooth before actually using it. But for fenders you could probably get away with creating a core and could leave the mold with some imperfections. Wax it up and lay your fiberglass down. Just make sure you don't create any pockets or backdraft that will prevent it from coming off the core. I contemplated the same thing for a few projects but never actually went through with it.

If you have more questions or want some pictures i know i could get you some. I still know a lot of people that work there.
Thanks for the info... My plan is to make my own front fenders along with bedsides. I want to stretch the rear of the bronco and would like to have the same body lines just longer. Plus I can cut out and flare the wheel wells a certian way.
trailrail302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2012, 05:38 PM   #105
trailrail302
Im going FAST!!!
 
trailrail302's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-22-07
Location: north of the equator
Posts: 2,990
iTrader: (10)
Should be getting started pretty soon. Tube should be in next week along with all my blingy blingy rod ends.
Thanks to Matt Messer with Trail Gear! The Dana 60 has won the battle over IFS, I can not beat it for the amount of $$$ I will have into a linked 60

Hopefully I will have some pics soon, I am ready to get started....
trailrail302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2012, 05:43 PM   #106
whiterhino
I'm not old, honest...
 
whiterhino's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-07-06
Location: Davisburg MI
Posts: 19,953
iTrader: (21)
I can give you some input. My father in law had a fiberglass canoe company that I worked at part time for a few years. Do you have donor steel fenders to use as templates? If so, we can take it from there.
__________________
GLFWDA member since 1979.
Member Southern Michigan Rock Crawlers.
whiterhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2012, 06:35 PM   #107
trailrail302
Im going FAST!!!
 
trailrail302's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-22-07
Location: north of the equator
Posts: 2,990
iTrader: (10)
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiterhino View Post
I can give you some input. My father in law had a fiberglass canoe company that I worked at part time for a few years. Do you have donor steel fenders to use as templates? If so, we can take it from there.
Yes, I have the ones on the truck which are in good condition to get a template.
trailrail302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2012, 08:26 PM   #108
Strangler
Senior Member
 
Strangler's Avatar
 
Join Date: 12-12-05
Location: Howell
Posts: 3,859
iTrader: (51)
I would half-ass stretch the stock stuff, lube them up and lay a mold around them. No, I am not volunteering to help, I am a stand back and drink beer kind of guy when I'm in other peoples garages.

D60 FTW!! 'bout time.
Strangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2012, 08:32 PM   #109
CheapThrillB2
FAWK YEAH!!
 
CheapThrillB2's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-06-06
Location: Middleville, MI
Posts: 30,099
iTrader: (61)
Curious to see how the 1/4s turn out, I just picked up another set of 1/4's and my plan was to take those and cut my current ones out and use the piece between the wheel opening and the door pillar to lengthen them for a stretch.
CheapThrillB2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2012, 08:36 PM   #110
firehawk
Live Action!
 
firehawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10-02-07
Location: Clawson, Michigan
Posts: 12,022
iTrader: (41)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strangler View Post
I would half-ass stretch the stock stuff, lube them up and lay a mold around them. No, I am not volunteering to help, I am a stand back and drink beer kind of guy when I'm in other peoples garages.

D60 FTW!! 'bout time.
Do this but don't half ass it. The nicer you make them the nicer the finished product will be. Of course how nice depends on how nice you want them to be but why go through all the work to not have them look great.
firehawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2012, 08:51 PM   #111
Eric04
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 11-18-05
Location: Mt Morris
Posts: 1,154
iTrader: (9)
sheet metal mold with double sided tape should do the trick
Eric04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2012, 10:41 PM   #112
barbarian 4x4
Old Guys Rule
 
barbarian 4x4's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-07-08
Location: jackson mi
Posts: 91
iTrader: (1)
Dj you have a pm
barbarian 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2012, 03:43 PM   #113
trailrail302
Im going FAST!!!
 
trailrail302's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-22-07
Location: north of the equator
Posts: 2,990
iTrader: (10)
New rod ends came in today..... Thanks to Trail-Gear.
These guys are great, super fast shiping and Great customer service!!!!

Check them out at trail-gear.com


trailrail302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 29th, 2012, 09:56 AM   #114
trailrail302
Im going FAST!!!
 
trailrail302's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-22-07
Location: north of the equator
Posts: 2,990
iTrader: (10)
Went and picked up the tubing yesterday!!!

Here is the gestational stage of a race car

trailrail302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 29th, 2012, 10:02 AM   #115
Strangler
Senior Member
 
Strangler's Avatar
 
Join Date: 12-12-05
Location: Howell
Posts: 3,859
iTrader: (51)
Yes!
Strangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 29th, 2012, 10:17 AM   #116
bigbchevy
missmrgreenagain
 
bigbchevy's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-15-07
Location: fenton /hartland mi
Posts: 17,457
iTrader: (155)
I need some tube lol
__________________
H.o.r.e
(mr.green)So you are calling CC a liar?? Not a nice way to treat your bitch.
tube bending and gear installs pm me for info! gears installed for $150 and up per axle.
bigbchevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 29th, 2012, 11:16 AM   #117
Eric04
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 11-18-05
Location: Mt Morris
Posts: 1,154
iTrader: (9)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbchevy View Post
I need some tube lol
im working on that!

what size is the square tube dj
Eric04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 29th, 2012, 11:21 AM   #118
trailrail302
Im going FAST!!!
 
trailrail302's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-22-07
Location: north of the equator
Posts: 2,990
iTrader: (10)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric04 View Post
im working on that!

what size is the square tube dj
4x2x11gauge. I might have some extra of the 4x2 I got a ton of it...
Did you guys get in on that order? I know I dropped a lot off for Ricky.
trailrail302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 29th, 2012, 11:29 AM   #119
High Center Hancho
rack tap re-rack click
 
High Center Hancho's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-10-07
Location: Genesee County
Posts: 12,397
iTrader: (40)
ricky
High Center Hancho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 29th, 2012, 11:46 AM   #120
bigbchevy
missmrgreenagain
 
bigbchevy's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-15-07
Location: fenton /hartland mi
Posts: 17,457
iTrader: (155)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric04 View Post
im working on that!

what size is the square tube dj
I told u its cool man lol
__________________
H.o.r.e
(mr.green)So you are calling CC a liar?? Not a nice way to treat your bitch.
tube bending and gear installs pm me for info! gears installed for $150 and up per axle.
bigbchevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > 4x4 Talk > Rig Builds and Pics
Tags
meballs

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:13 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright 2000 - 2012, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2005 - 2012 Cracker Enterprises - Powered by Linux
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=
Page generated in 0.16204 seconds with 53 queries