Catholic Contraception Debacle - Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest

Go Back   Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > Politics, Government, or Religion Chat
GL4x4 Live! GL4x4 Casino

Politics, Government, or Religion Chat Bring your flamesuit!

greatlakes4x4.com is the premier Great Lakes 4x4 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Search
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old February 9th, 2012, 07:13 AM   #1
mikesova
My 4x4 is a Subaru.
 
mikesova's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Gladwin, MI
Posts: 7,793
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to mikesova
Default Catholic Contraception Debacle

Should your employer be able to pick and choose what medicines/procedures/etc. you can have access to based on their religious or other beliefs?

Discuss.
mikesova is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old February 9th, 2012, 07:23 AM   #2
steveo
In the band!
 
Join Date: 03-30-07
Location: montana/wyoming
Posts: 20,293
iTrader: (6)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

No. If I wanna have unprotected sex with my gf without having a baby its my business.
steveo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2012, 08:51 AM   #3
brewmenn
Grumpy old man.
 
brewmenn's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Inkster, MI
Posts: 10,498
iTrader: (9)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesova View Post
Should your employer be able to pick and choose what medicines/procedures/etc. you can have access to based on their religious or other beliefs?

Discuss.
Or, should an employee be able to force their employer to provide medicines/procedures/etc that it sees as immoral or improper based on their religious or other beliefs?

I do not think any person or organization should be forced to support something they see as immoral or improper. If you don't agree with your employer you have 2 choices, suck it up and live be their rules, or quit.
brewmenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2012, 09:18 AM   #4
steveo
In the band!
 
Join Date: 03-30-07
Location: montana/wyoming
Posts: 20,293
iTrader: (6)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Bruce, fuck your mother.
steveo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2012, 10:11 AM   #5
dreezy
whadayatalkinabout
 
dreezy's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-28-08
Location: Holland Mi
Posts: 10,086
iTrader: (7)
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to dreezy Send a message via MSN to dreezy
Default

Holy fukc , I agree with brewsmenn.
__________________
"you think you're precious, I think you're shit."

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScOoTeR View Post
Ryan, if I wanted any shit from you, I'd go looking for Leah's strap-on.
dreezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2012, 11:14 AM   #6
mikesova
My 4x4 is a Subaru.
 
mikesova's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Gladwin, MI
Posts: 7,793
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to mikesova
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewmenn View Post
Or, should an employee be able to force their employer to provide medicines/procedures/etc that it sees as immoral or improper based on their religious or other beliefs?

I do not think any person or organization should be forced to support something they see as immoral or improper. If you don't agree with your employer you have 2 choices, suck it up and live be their rules, or quit.
I don't want to draw this into a slippery slope argument, but where then would you draw the line? Could an employer who was a Jehovah's Witness refuse to provide procedures where a blood transfusion was involved? Could I interpret the line in the Bible that says your body is a temple and not provide my employees with surgery, because to me it's just immoral to desecrate your body by cutting it up?
mikesova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2012, 11:44 AM   #7
mschaffer66
Senior Member
 
mschaffer66's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: West Bloomfield, MI
Posts: 9,231
iTrader: (17)
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesova View Post
I don't want to draw this into a slippery slope argument, but where then would you draw the line? Could an employer who was a Jehovah's Witness refuse to provide procedures where a blood transfusion was involved? Could I interpret the line in the Bible that says your body is a temple and not provide my employees with surgery, because to me it's just immoral to desecrate your body by cutting it up?
I suppose so. You could also just not provide health care at all to your employees.

I would have to believe there is a bit of a limit on how much shit they can take or give on your plans ala carte. I would imagine they can say yes or no to contraception methods because it may add to their policy. I can't see though that they can say they don't want to cover appendix removal because they don't believe it really exists.
mschaffer66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2012, 12:56 PM   #8
brewmenn
Grumpy old man.
 
brewmenn's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Inkster, MI
Posts: 10,498
iTrader: (9)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesova View Post
I don't want to draw this into a slippery slope argument, but where then would you draw the line? Could an employer who was a Jehovah's Witness refuse to provide procedures where a blood transfusion was involved? Could I interpret the line in the Bible that says your body is a temple and not provide my employees with surgery, because to me it's just immoral to desecrate your body by cutting it up?
I draw the line at; the employer has the right to decide what benefits it provides to its employees. Employees do not have the right to force their employer to provide benefits it does not wish to provide, for whatever reason.
brewmenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2012, 01:38 PM   #9
kerryann
German cars are hot
 
kerryann's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: West Bloomfield
Posts: 11,441
iTrader: (3)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Default

Why would you take a job if you don't agree with their coverage to begin with?
kerryann is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2012, 02:13 PM   #10
mschaffer66
Senior Member
 
mschaffer66's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: West Bloomfield, MI
Posts: 9,231
iTrader: (17)
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerryann View Post
Why would you take a job if you don't agree with their coverage to begin with?
Because in today's job market if you don't have a good skill set you take whatever job you can get and then bitch about every aspect of it. When, in actuality, you should be grateful to even have a job.
mschaffer66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2012, 02:23 PM   #11
brewmenn
Grumpy old man.
 
brewmenn's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Inkster, MI
Posts: 10,498
iTrader: (9)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschaffer66 View Post
I suppose so. You could also just not provide health care at all to your employees.

I would have to believe there is a bit of a limit on how much shit they can take or give on your plans ala carte. I would imagine they can say yes or no to contraception methods because it may add to their policy. I can't see though that they can say they don't want to cover appendix removal because they don't believe it really exists.
It wouldn't surprise me if there was insurance companies that cater to companies with "special needs".
brewmenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2012, 02:55 PM   #12
GreaseMonkey
Senior Member
 
GreaseMonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-04-05
Location: Madison Heights, MI
Posts: 17,989
iTrader: (22)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Fuck religion.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerryann View Post
I am not a lesbian but if I was I would do her.
GreaseMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2012, 05:30 PM   #13
ScOoTeR
hoo dat. wat.
 
ScOoTeR's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-09-05
Location: Howell
Posts: 21,554
iTrader: (35)
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreaseMonkey View Post
Fuck religion.
Religion can be a wonderful thing. For every B.S. story like this that are publicized, thousands of good deeds and general "living in harmony" go on, ignored - because it isn't tic enough to sell advertising space.
__________________
@clarkstoncracker
ScOoTeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2012, 05:46 PM   #14
GreaseMonkey
Senior Member
 
GreaseMonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-04-05
Location: Madison Heights, MI
Posts: 17,989
iTrader: (22)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScOoTeR View Post
Religion can be a wonderful thing. For every B.S. story like this that are publicized, thousands of good deeds and general "living in harmony" go on, ignored - because it isn't tic enough to sell advertising space.
True, but I tend to believe it's more of a poison than anything.

Then again, I'm semi-pessimistic.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerryann View Post
I am not a lesbian but if I was I would do her.
GreaseMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2012, 07:07 PM   #15
pizzaman
Senior Member
 
pizzaman's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Independence Twsp, North Oakland County
Posts: 935
iTrader: (3)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesova View Post
should your employer be able to pick and choose what medicines/procedures/etc. you can have access to based on their religious or other beliefs?
best spin of the year so far.
discuss.
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewmenn View Post
or, should an employee be able to force their employer to provide medicines/procedures/etc that it sees as immoral or improper based on their religious or other beliefs?
i agree with brewmenn
i do not think any person or organization should be forced to support something they see as immoral or improper. If you don't agree with your employer you have 2 choices, suck it up and live be their rules, or quit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreezy View Post
holy fukc , i agree with brewsmenn.
x2
pizzaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2012, 07:22 PM   #16
mikesova
My 4x4 is a Subaru.
 
mikesova's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Gladwin, MI
Posts: 7,793
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to mikesova
Default

I'm enjoying the discussion, as I don't really have a dog in the fight. I just figured the forum needed a post that wasn't started by aber.
mikesova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2012, 07:32 PM   #17
kerryann
German cars are hot
 
kerryann's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: West Bloomfield
Posts: 11,441
iTrader: (3)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewmenn View Post
It wouldn't surprise me if there was insurance companies that cater to companies with "special needs".
You can customize your coverages with some companies, but some don't let you customize.
kerryann is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2012, 07:36 PM   #18
aber61
Senior Member
 
aber61's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-22-08
Location: Commerce Twp. Michigan
Posts: 6,109
iTrader: (3)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesova View Post
I'm enjoying the discussion, as I don't really have a dog in the fight. I just figured the forum needed a post that wasn't started by aber.
Thanks Mike, that was good.
aber61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2012, 08:46 PM   #19
aber61
Senior Member
 
aber61's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-22-08
Location: Commerce Twp. Michigan
Posts: 6,109
iTrader: (3)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Default

Hitler has his holocaust and that was desencitizing the youth of a nation to rise up and wipe out more than 6 million jews.
This country is desencitizing the people of this nation to the holocaust of abortion. Since roe vs wade bacame law of the land we have allowed the murder of more than 50 million babies.
We have been programed to think that the pill is ok. Then they come up with the morning after pill. Abortion up to 8 months.
We allow the government to create laws that condon murder of the youth of this nation because they have convinced so many that it is a womens choice to commit murder.
I found a short clip about the comparison of the holocaust and abortion.

aber61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2012, 09:15 PM   #20
dougstephvoor
Supreme Chancelor!
 
dougstephvoor's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-21-10
Location: Saranac/Michigan
Posts: 2,213
iTrader: (3)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

It's all about control.

There are more than 600 Catholic health care institutions in the United States,
12% of the total,1 and about one in six Americans is treated in a Catholic
health care institution each year.2 In 2003, there were more than 15.4 million
emergency room visits and more than 86 million outpatient visits to Catholic
hospitals.3 This would be of little interest or importance if it were not for the fact
that, as a result of Vatican-imposed guidelines, a full range of reproductive health
care services are routinely not offered at Catholic facilities.This especially impacts
people living in areas where the only health facility is a Catholic one, where it is
not obvious that a local facility is Catholic and low-income people who routinely
rely on emergency rooms at charitable hospitals for primary health care.
dougstephvoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > Politics, Government, or Religion Chat

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:46 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright 2000 - 2012, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Page generated in 0.33544 seconds with 82 queries