***SnoFari 2012- The SoFicial thread*** - Page 72 - Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest

Go Back   Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > Trail Rides & 4x4 Events
GL4x4 Live! GL4x4 Casino

greatlakes4x4.com is the premier Great Lakes 4x4 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Search
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old January 31st, 2012, 06:57 PM   #1421
oz97tj
Wasn't this attached?
 
oz97tj's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-06-07
Location: Fenton, MI
Posts: 3,998
iTrader: (16)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiterhino View Post
I felt similar. I decided to take a snow route to the MSA instead of heading straight over on the pavement. Well, by the time we finished one broken u-joint and my sweep fell behind, it seemed like forever to even get there. I had several things in mind at the MSA that we never touched. Next year we will go straight there.
Even though I hit basically nothing of my planned route, I actually think the trail I ended up on was more fun than the ones I had planned. I was also fortunate everyone in my group was of similar mind that the all day winch fest was a good time. Considering my group was supposed to be nothing more than a mid level run with some tight trails, I was concerned once we got in there not everyone was going to find the trail to their liking. Turns out the 5 hours we spent in there was right up everyones ally. I will likely run that trail next year too. I will likely change my long boring route to Rose City to just running up the road to get there though and then we can add some more of the fun stuff that I didn't get to hit this year.
__________________
Support the sport. Join GLFWDA!
********GLFWDA.org********

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alter Ego View Post
Oz's Jeep is downright anti-bling.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Green again View Post
Will someone please argue with me?
oz97tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old January 31st, 2012, 07:33 PM   #1422
Renegade II
Coil springs are for pens
 
Renegade II's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-30-06
Location: Frankenmuth, Mi.
Posts: 3,313
iTrader: (13)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kixx007 View Post
We drove all the way up to Rose City to run a 1/2 mile of trail, damaging 3 vehicles. I don't enjoy people wrecking their vehicles while following me. But I also never imagined that I would find fun stuff up there. It took us a while to get through that trail. Long enough that we had to head right back home afterwards.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz97tj View Post
Thats basically what happened to use as well. We took a slight detour that ended up taking up our entire day. Everyone had fun though so it goes in the Win column.
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiterhino View Post
I felt similar. I decided to take a snow route to the MSA instead of heading straight over on the pavement. Well, by the time we finished one broken u-joint and my sweep fell behind, it seemed like forever to even get there. I had several things in mind at the MSA that we never touched. Next year we will go straight there.
x4

That layer of ice was brutal. We did about 1/3 of our run on Friday and maybe another 1/3 on Saturday and the last 3rd we never got to. And the worst part was that the same part of a section line trail spanked us each day on our way to the hard stuff. There was also about 4x the number of road miles used to make up time to get to the harder areas. I guess the good part of that is it still gives us more new areas to run next year
Renegade II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2012, 08:04 PM   #1423
kb8ymf
Not as old as Whiterhino
 
kb8ymf's Avatar
 
Join Date: 06-01-06
Location: Dryden,Mi.
Posts: 1,112
iTrader: (5)
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by phittie1100 View Post
In case you lost the hand out from dinner:

Saint Helen Chamber of Commerce
PO Box 642
Saint Helen, MI 48656
989-389-3725
sainthelen_chamber@yahoo.com

West Branch Area Chamber of Commerce
422 W. Houghton Ave.
West Branch, MI 48661
989-345-2821 or 800-755-9091
fax 989-345-9075
There will be additional addresses to send your letters to. Stay tuned for El Presadante Devore to post the 'sample' letter and a complete list of who to send them to. The letters can all be the same. We just want you to send them to a multiple number of people in order to get the most bang for our buck.

One thing to remember too, City governments carry equally as much weight if not more when it comes to looking out for their respective communities. As such we should add the City govrnments of Rose City, West Branch, and St. Helen to the list.
And while we're at it, the recently elected State Representative for that district #103, Bruce Rendon. He succedded Joel Sheltron who was also a strong ORV advocate who got the P.A. 240 Act passed which allowed ORV on the shoulders of the roads.

State Representative Bruce Rendon
District #103
S-1387 House Office Building
P.O. Box 30014
Lansing, Michigan 48909
BruceRendon@house.mi.gov

Michigan State Senator Darwin Booher
35th District PO Box 30036
Lansing MI 48909 (517) 373-1725


Rose City Mayor Dave Reasnor
City Hall
P.O. Box 279
Rose City, Michigan 48654

West Branch City Council
121 North Forth Street
West Branch, Michigan 48661-1217
E-Mail: cityhall@westbranch.com

St. Helen (Unincorporated Community Governed by Township)
Richfield Twp Office
1410 N Saint Helen Rd
P.O. Box 128
Saint Helen, MI 48656-7506

Last edited by kb8ymf; January 31st, 2012 at 08:36 PM.
kb8ymf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2012, 05:28 AM   #1424
GMKLR50
Broke wheeler
 
GMKLR50's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10-13-10
Location: White Lake, MI ( Detroit side of state)
Posts: 1,141
iTrader: (5)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade II View Post
x4

That layer of ice was brutal. We did about 1/3 of our run on Friday and maybe another 1/3 on Saturday and the last 3rd we never got to. And the worst part was that the same part of a section line trail spanked us each day on our way to the hard stuff. There was also about 4x the number of road miles used to make up time to get to the harder areas. I guess the good part of that is it still gives us more new areas to run next year
that firday morning run was the longest couple hour run i have even been on, 7 hours of fun!
GMKLR50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2012, 06:22 AM   #1425
Tweeternpi
Senior Member
 
Tweeternpi's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01-23-06
Location: Carleton, Mi
Posts: 1,042
iTrader: (35)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

That was a good Friday! My wife liked Friday better than Saturday. I had a great time both days.
Tweeternpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2012, 07:23 AM   #1426
GMKLR50
Broke wheeler
 
GMKLR50's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10-13-10
Location: White Lake, MI ( Detroit side of state)
Posts: 1,141
iTrader: (5)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweeternpi View Post
That was a good Friday! My wife liked Friday better than Saturday. I had a great time both days.
saturady seems a little uneventfull but I think that was only because of everything that we went through on the friday run
GMKLR50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2012, 07:33 AM   #1427
Renegade II
Coil springs are for pens
 
Renegade II's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-30-06
Location: Frankenmuth, Mi.
Posts: 3,313
iTrader: (13)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMKLR50 View Post
saturady seems a little uneventfull but I think that was only because of everything that we went through on the friday run
No, that was because Saturday you were on Whiterhino's run instead of mine
Renegade II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2012, 08:03 AM   #1428
GMKLR50
Broke wheeler
 
GMKLR50's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10-13-10
Location: White Lake, MI ( Detroit side of state)
Posts: 1,141
iTrader: (5)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

even though we didnt have a ton of snow we would have less after these last two days
GMKLR50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2012, 08:18 AM   #1429
SweetLeah
<3's Ridin' Dirty
 
SweetLeah's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10-15-07
Location: Oakland County
Posts: 2,869
iTrader: (4)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Default

Are you still in Rose City Jason? Down here it's 50 degrees and sunny! This weather is really something!
SweetLeah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2012, 08:28 AM   #1430
whiterhino
I'm not old, honest...
 
whiterhino's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-07-06
Location: Davisburg MI
Posts: 21,718
iTrader: (21)
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade II View Post
No, that was because Saturday you were on Whiterhino's run instead of mine
True. When you have a quality trail leader who makes even the hardest stuff seem easy, a 5+ trail seems like a walk in the park.

To answer Danimal, no, we never made it to the new 3 hills.
__________________
GLFWDA member since 1979.
Member Southern Michigan Rock Crawlers.
whiterhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2012, 09:05 AM   #1431
GMKLR50
Broke wheeler
 
GMKLR50's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10-13-10
Location: White Lake, MI ( Detroit side of state)
Posts: 1,141
iTrader: (5)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetLeah View Post
Are you still in Rose City Jason? Down here it's 50 degrees and sunny! This weather is really something!
I came home sunday with everyone else, but the temps up there have been in the 40's according to my neighbors up there. in the trees there is a couple inches but the roads/ open trails are almost clear.
GMKLR50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2012, 10:27 AM   #1432
SweetLeah
<3's Ridin' Dirty
 
SweetLeah's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10-15-07
Location: Oakland County
Posts: 2,869
iTrader: (4)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMKLR50 View Post
I came home sunday with everyone else, but the temps up there have been in the 40's according to my neighbors up there. in the trees there is a couple inches but the roads/ open trails are almost clear.

I guess we got there just in time to have a little bit of snow!
SweetLeah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2012, 05:05 PM   #1433
shawn
Resident HVAC/R Jambi
 
shawn's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Milford/Commerce
Posts: 10,107
iTrader: (24)
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to shawn
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetLeah View Post
I guess we got there just in time to have a little bit of snow!
Same thing happened last year! We had ok snow, got a few more on Friday night, and then it all melted when we left. But, this winter has been like no other I can ever remember.
__________________
shawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2012, 07:36 PM   #1434
crazygrady127
Senior Member
 
crazygrady127's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-19-09
Location: Madison Heights
Posts: 1,013
iTrader: (7)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn View Post
But, this winter has been like no other I can ever remember.
Jim took us through the new Sofo trail (tight trail) on the Friday night run , and the challenge was the first one who showed reverse lights was the looser , and everything was fine , until the end !! It turned so icy that needless to say we all lost , there was only 2 people that made it through without sliding into the trees and having to get winched off of them or pulled off of them or pushed off of them !! That was when Wadey got his first dent in his quarter panel , but then the next day he wedged it between 2 trees anyway earning the So-duh award !! But snow , mud , icy hills , hidden ice pits to fall in (Thanks Shawn) I had a blast !!
__________________
Tear It Up - Fix It - And Do It Again
crazygrady127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2012, 07:56 PM   #1435
kixx007
Certified Ypsilantian
 
kixx007's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08-14-06
Location: Not Metamora, Mi
Posts: 4,449
iTrader: (8)
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazygrady127 View Post
Jim took us through the new Sofo trail (tight trail) on the Friday night run , and the challenge was the first one who showed reverse lights was the looser , and everything was fine , until the end !! It turned so icy that needless to say we all lost , there was only 2 people that made it through without sliding into the trees and having to get winched off of them or pulled off of them or pushed off of them !! That was when Wadey got his first dent in his quarter panel , but then the next day he wedged it between 2 trees anyway earning the So-duh award !! But snow , mud , icy hills , hidden ice pits to fall in (Thanks Shawn) I had a blast !!
I'm not sure why people would have a hard time on that trail. When we cut it, we tried to make sure it was kind of easy. We even used the cutting brakes on the tractor to get around the tree's!


It sure is fun when the DNR gives you the go ahead to build a trail with a somewhat blank canvas!
kixx007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2012, 02:24 AM   #1436
crazygrady127
Senior Member
 
crazygrady127's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-19-09
Location: Madison Heights
Posts: 1,013
iTrader: (7)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kixx007 View Post
I'm not sure why people would have a hard time on that trail. When we cut it, we tried to make sure it was kind of easy. We even used the cutting brakes on the tractor to get around the tree's!


It sure is fun when the DNR gives you the go ahead to build a trail with a somewhat blank canvas!

That was a cool trail , and it will only get better the more it gets used !!
__________________
Tear It Up - Fix It - And Do It Again
crazygrady127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2012, 02:42 AM   #1437
tw1st3d5
Senior Member
 
tw1st3d5's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10-12-09
Location: Berrien Springs, MI
Posts: 1,008
iTrader: (16)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazygrady127 View Post
That was a cool trail , and it will only get better the more it gets used !!
I really enjoyed that trail as well. I think running it at night made it even better but don't have a day time run to judge it by yet.
tw1st3d5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2012, 07:30 AM   #1438
kixx007
Certified Ypsilantian
 
kixx007's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08-14-06
Location: Not Metamora, Mi
Posts: 4,449
iTrader: (8)
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw1st3d5 View Post
I really enjoyed that trail as well. I think running it at night made it even better but don't have a day time run to judge it by yet.
I havent been over there since the fall. Is the washout still over there on the ORV route?
kixx007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2012, 11:47 AM   #1439
deathbypsi
Brian R.
 
deathbypsi's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08-08-07
Location: Temperance Mi
Posts: 2,026
iTrader: (16)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to deathbypsi
Default

BTW...maybe I missed it but I was wondering who was Roast Master saturday nite at the banquet?
deathbypsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2012, 11:56 AM   #1440
phittie1100
Senior Member
 
phittie1100's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-26-05
Location: Burton, MI
Posts: 1,851
iTrader: (16)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kixx007 View Post
I havent been over there since the fall. Is the washout still over there on the ORV route?
It has either been cleaned up a bit, or washed out further. I went around and let folks know if they were adventurous they could give it a try (it was covered with snow, couldn't see if it was bad), I think just about all of them went through the old trail section without difficulty.
__________________
Paul - 2005 Wrangler Unlimited
KD8PAV
phittie1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > Trail Rides & 4x4 Events

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:15 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright 2000 - 2012, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Page generated in 0.36534 seconds with 82 queries