Proper Tire rotation? - Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest

Go Back   Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > 4x4 Talk > General Tech
GL4x4 Live! GL4x4 Casino

greatlakes4x4.com is the premier Great Lakes 4x4 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Search
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old December 18th, 2011, 02:31 PM   #1
Gunsworth
Senior Member
 
Gunsworth's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-07-05
Location: Birmingham
Posts: 2,535
iTrader: (12)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to Gunsworth
Default Proper Tire rotation?

I was always told to rotate front to opposite side rear and visa versa. Just got my tires rotated at discount tire and noticed they just went front to back same side. I called them about it and they said it doeasnt matter with radials? i feel like the tires rotational direction should be changed with a rotation, am I wrong?

I still need to go back anyways, the tire they plugged is still leaking
Gunsworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old December 18th, 2011, 02:41 PM   #2
14muddn
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 02-10-08
Location: Wixom/MI
Posts: 1,776
iTrader: (5)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

If the vehicle has a matching spare I like rotating all five moving in a constant clockwise or counterclockwise direction. That way when you need the spare you know the lugs are not frozen on, it has proper pressure, and you save a little life on all of the tires. If the tires are directional you don't have much of a choice besides front to back.
14muddn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2011, 02:42 PM   #3
wave_crusher
I'll Direc your TV
 
wave_crusher's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01-20-09
Location: Big Rapids, MI
Posts: 5,042
iTrader: (21)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Yes, tire rotation goes DF to PR, PF to DR, and both rears to same side front. Seems that tire places think since they're professional they know "everything"...had tire factory in Mt p tell me that retread tires are illegal in michigan
wave_crusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2011, 03:03 PM   #4
Pushbar79
Newbie
 
Join Date: 12-18-11
Location: Michigan
Posts: 11
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

It does not matter as long as they get turned
Pushbar79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2011, 04:26 PM   #5
1TFROT
Senior Member
 
1TFROT's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01-04-09
Location: chi-town
Posts: 1,287
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

what they are suppose to do is fronts straight back and the rears cross as they go forward.

how do I know, I'm a manager for Discount Tire in Ill and that's how we are trained. it's not the only way, but the way we are trained so we are consistent every time. if they are directional, then it's just front to back, same sides
1TFROT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2011, 04:33 PM   #6
shawn
Resident HVAC/R Jambi
 
shawn's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Milford/Commerce
Posts: 10,069
iTrader: (24)
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to shawn
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wave_crusher View Post
Yes, tire rotation goes DF to PR, PF to DR, and both rears to same side front. Seems that tire places think since they're professional they know "everything"...had tire factory in Mt p tell me that retread tires are illegal in michigan
x2

Rears straight to the front, fronts cross to the back.
__________________
shawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2011, 09:09 AM   #7
turnofftheradio
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 09-28-09
Location: Wayne county
Posts: 202
iTrader: (2)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

this is interesting to me. I was trained to rotate side to side, but over the last 10 years or so I keep hearing that swapping rotational direction can cause belts to shift. I have not changed rotational direction myself in over 5 years on any car I have owned, just front to back to avoid the shifted belt scenario. I have shifted belts on tires, but never since I quit crossing rotation, could just be luck... anyone able to bust this myth?
turnofftheradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2011, 09:34 AM   #8
GreaseMonkey
Senior Member
 
GreaseMonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-04-05
Location: Madison Heights, MI
Posts: 17,985
iTrader: (22)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

The pattern doesn't really matter unless there is something specific about the tires (directional etc.) as long as the same pattern is always followed.

Unless you're on an oval running NASCAR laps all day, there usually isn't much of a need to cross the tires.

I've always done LF to LR and RF to RR.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerryann View Post
I am not a lesbian but if I was I would do her.
GreaseMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2011, 09:47 AM   #9
JeepInABox
Jeep yard art collector.
 
JeepInABox's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10-25-07
Location: Fenton
Posts: 2,307
iTrader: (8)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

back to front, front crossed to rear,
gives the tire some time to adjust to direction and less driveability issues.
JeepInABox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2011, 12:52 PM   #10
Gunsworth
Senior Member
 
Gunsworth's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-07-05
Location: Birmingham
Posts: 2,535
iTrader: (12)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to Gunsworth
Default

alright, guess i wont worry, I just know the fronts were put straight back (one front tire was recently replaced so I know it was sent straight back, not sure if fronts were crossed or whatever)

this is on my chevy 2500hd, so I cant complain, I hate taking off those wheels, (including the stupid plastic center cap retainers) basically taking 16 bolts off each wheel sucks.
Gunsworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2011, 01:02 PM   #11
michigan maniac
Senior Member
 
michigan maniac's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10-08-10
Location: dryden/lapeer
Posts: 1,799
iTrader: (29)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

My shop rotates front to back, back to front with no cross, unless there is an issue with the tire pulling then we will cross rotate, its all a preference on the shop, we do free rotations every 6000 miles if you bought the tires from us,
michigan maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2011, 01:05 PM   #12
Elvis13
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 05-15-11
Location: Addison Township, MI
Posts: 1,180
iTrader: (7)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

If you keep swapping straight back and straight forward you are not accounting for one side wearing uneven. By crossing it will allow all 4 tires to reach all 4 locations in 4 rotations.
Elvis13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2011, 01:11 PM   #13
michigan maniac
Senior Member
 
michigan maniac's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10-08-10
Location: dryden/lapeer
Posts: 1,799
iTrader: (29)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvis13 View Post
If you keep swapping straight back and straight forward you are not accounting for one side wearing uneven. By crossing it will allow all 4 tires to reach all 4 locations in 4 rotations.
How will one side wear uneven? No matter where the tire is placed on the vehicle it will always have the inside edge be the inside edge, unless its a duely rear end or you break the tire down and flip it over on the rim

Last edited by michigan maniac; December 19th, 2011 at 01:15 PM.
michigan maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2011, 01:38 PM   #14
GreaseMonkey
Senior Member
 
GreaseMonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-04-05
Location: Madison Heights, MI
Posts: 17,985
iTrader: (22)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvis13 View Post
If you keep swapping straight back and straight forward you are not accounting for one side wearing uneven. By crossing it will allow all 4 tires to reach all 4 locations in 4 rotations.
There aren't many vehicles that have enough negative camber for this to be an issue. If one side is wearing uneven, it means you need an alignment.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerryann View Post
I am not a lesbian but if I was I would do her.
GreaseMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2011, 02:30 PM   #15
Haggar
Covered in mud...
 
Haggar's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-06-05
Location: Oxford, MI
Posts: 17,650
iTrader: (55)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreaseMonkey View Post
There aren't many vehicles that have enough negative camber for this to be an issue. If one side is wearing uneven, it means you need an alignment.
That being said, there's a lot of cars out there that do need an alignment, and people aren't aware.

I still see a lot of tires that have their tread blocks worn more on the leading edge and less on the trailing edge. Swapping side to side helps this.

Other small factors that don't make much difference, but 50,000 miles can show up

Typical car is also heavier on the drivers side due to single occupant often.

Cars don't always see the same amounts of left and right turns.

Drive wheels don't wear tires evenly. Right rear on a pickup for example.


So, generally accepted for radials is whats already been listed: move the rear forward, fronts to opposite rear. Most new car owners manuals show this pattern.


myself, I can't remember the last time I rotated tires. Maybe 15 years ago. But, it was also 15 years ago since I kept a car long enough that I had to replace a worn set of tires. lol.
Haggar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2011, 06:05 PM   #16
littletrucker
I'd hit that
 
littletrucker's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-15-10
Location: Bear Lake 49614
Posts: 1,514
iTrader: (5)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

I still see a lot of tires that have their tread blocks worn more on the leading edge and less on the trailing edge. Swapping side to side helps this.

This...

If you dont rotate your tires side to side then you will never get them wearing in the other direction, but if you dont know or dont care what makes tire noise then it doesnt really matter..

BUT there is a direction that your tires will roll the quietest in especially after they have gotten that "choppy" wear to them (directional tires you really cant do anything with)

Feeling a tire will give you the best idea of how they should be rotated, not every car wears tires the same, rears straight forward, x pattern. We do what ever feels the best.

(if you feel the leading edge of a tread block and it is higher than the trailing edge of the last tread block the tire will be noisy rotating in that direction. if you just go straight back or forward it'll never get better only worse)






ON a side note I wouldn't suggest plugging a tire.. repairing with an inside patch or inside plug/patch is 1000x better

Last edited by littletrucker; December 19th, 2011 at 06:12 PM.
littletrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2011, 08:05 PM   #17
michigan maniac
Senior Member
 
michigan maniac's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10-08-10
Location: dryden/lapeer
Posts: 1,799
iTrader: (29)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by littletrucker View Post
This...

If you dont rotate your tires side to side then you will never get them wearing in the other direction, but if you dont know or dont care what makes tire noise then it doesnt really matter..

BUT there is a direction that your tires will roll the quietest in especially after they have gotten that "choppy" wear to them (directional tires you really cant do anything with)

Feeling a tire will give you the best idea of how they should be rotated, not every car wears tires the same, rears straight forward, x pattern. We do what ever feels the best.

(if you feel the leading edge of a tread block and it is higher than the trailing edge of the last tread block the tire will be noisy rotating in that direction. if you just go straight back or forward it'll never get better only worse






ON a side note I wouldn't suggest plugging a tire.. repairing with an inside patch or inside plug/patch is 1000x better

Very well said !!
michigan maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2011, 06:37 AM   #18
GreaseMonkey
Senior Member
 
GreaseMonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-04-05
Location: Madison Heights, MI
Posts: 17,985
iTrader: (22)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggar View Post
That being said, there's a lot of cars out there that do need an alignment, and people aren't aware.

I still see a lot of tires that have their tread blocks worn more on the leading edge and less on the trailing edge. Swapping side to side helps this.

Other small factors that don't make much difference, but 50,000 miles can show up

Typical car is also heavier on the drivers side due to single occupant often.

Cars don't always see the same amounts of left and right turns.

Drive wheels don't wear tires evenly. Right rear on a pickup for example.


So, generally accepted for radials is whats already been listed: move the rear forward, fronts to opposite rear. Most new car owners manuals show this pattern.


myself, I can't remember the last time I rotated tires. Maybe 15 years ago. But, it was also 15 years ago since I kept a car long enough that I had to replace a worn set of tires. lol.
I guess on the vehicles I've owned I always rotated tires often enough where uneven wear was never an issue.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerryann View Post
I am not a lesbian but if I was I would do her.
GreaseMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2011, 08:52 PM   #19
Gunsworth
Senior Member
 
Gunsworth's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-07-05
Location: Birmingham
Posts: 2,535
iTrader: (12)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to Gunsworth
Default

I get the free rotations and usually do it around every oil change :) Might just go little early this time and request they cross them.

This post was more out of curiosity of what the standard is than anything else.
Gunsworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > 4x4 Talk > General Tech

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:05 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright 2000 - 2012, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Page generated in 0.36683 seconds with 78 queries