Parts Washer - Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest

Go Back   Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > 4x4 Talk > General Tech
GL4x4 Live! GL4x4 Casino

greatlakes4x4.com is the premier Great Lakes 4x4 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Search
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old December 17th, 2011, 10:17 PM   #1
jeepfreak81
81 inches of fun
 
jeepfreak81's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-10-05
Location: Lennon, Mi
Posts: 12,190
iTrader: (21)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to jeepfreak81 Send a message via MSN to jeepfreak81 Send a message via Yahoo to jeepfreak81
Default Parts Washer

What is everyone using in their parts washers? I used to use mineral spirits, but am looking to change if there is something better that may be less flammable.
jeepfreak81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old December 17th, 2011, 10:20 PM   #2
wadey
┌∩┐(_)┌∩┐
 
wadey's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-31-11
Location: White Lake / Mt. Pleasant
Posts: 1,630
iTrader: (7)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

http://www.greatlakes4x4.com/showthr...t=parts+washer

wadey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2011, 08:17 AM   #3
shawn
Resident HVAC/R Jambi
 
shawn's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Milford/Commerce
Posts: 9,996
iTrader: (24)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to shawn
Default

Naptha.
__________________
shawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2011, 08:49 AM   #4
Yetti
Buy a Fiat! Save the UAW!
 
Yetti's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: 20 minutes south of Hell...
Posts: 14,384
iTrader: (10)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepfreak81 View Post
What is everyone using in their parts washers? I used to use mineral spirits, but am looking to change if there is something better that may be less flammable.
I know the Mineral spirits we use at work is pure 100% Stoddard solvent. same as enamel reducer or dry cleaner grade solvent. it has the highest flash point over most fuels. we use it as a fuel/gas replacement since it doesn't vent as much fumes and the flash point is much higher then gasoline.

as for Naptha its the same stuff they make moth balls out of.

Please don't use Gas. the benzine fumes are deadly when breathed in regular. its especially dangerous if you cause a spark. I saw a guy flash over on a plastic bucket he was dumping out one day. made one hell of a ball a flame. we figure it was just a static spark that set it off.
__________________
Yetti
Yetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2011, 09:06 AM   #5
jeepfreak81
81 inches of fun
 
jeepfreak81's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-10-05
Location: Lennon, Mi
Posts: 12,190
iTrader: (21)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to jeepfreak81 Send a message via MSN to jeepfreak81 Send a message via Yahoo to jeepfreak81
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yetti View Post
I know the Mineral spirits we use at work is pure 100% Stoddard solvent. same as enamel reducer or dry cleaner grade solvent. it has the highest flash point over most fuels. we use it as a fuel/gas replacement since it doesn't vent as much fumes and the flash point is much higher then gasoline.

as for Naptha its the same stuff they make moth balls out of.

Please don't use Gas. the benzine fumes are deadly when breathed in regular. its especially dangerous if you cause a spark. I saw a guy flash over on a plastic bucket he was dumping out one day. made one hell of a ball a flame. we figure it was just a static spark that set it off.

I have seen a parts washer flash up and burn 3 peoples faces personally which is why I posted this. Granted they were idiots, and one had a lighter and stated 'lets see if this is flammable'. People had been pouring skunky gas in it for weeks.

Guess I should have searched, I must have missed it the first time it was posted.
jeepfreak81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2011, 03:00 PM   #6
Yetti
Buy a Fiat! Save the UAW!
 
Yetti's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: 20 minutes south of Hell...
Posts: 14,384
iTrader: (10)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepfreak81 View Post
I have seen a parts washer flash up and burn 3 peoples faces personally which is why I posted this. Granted they were idiots, and one had a lighter and stated 'lets see if this is flammable'. People had been pouring skunky gas in it for weeks.

Guess I should have searched, I must have missed it the first time it was posted.
we have to watch that. we send out a sample every month or so to be tested for any gas. we can't have the slightest chance of having something flash up. I think you'll find if the Stoddard is changed regularly and kept free of fuel then its a very safe way to go.
__________________
Yetti
Yetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > 4x4 Talk > General Tech

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:52 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright 2000 - 2012, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Page generated in 0.13619 seconds with 39 queries