Go Back   Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > 4x4 Talk > Chevy Tech
GL4x4 Live! GL4x4 Casino







Search
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old November 6th, 2011, 06:57 AM   #1
lauriat
Senior Member
 
lauriat's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-09-09
Location: Higgins Lake MI
Posts: 1,016
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default 2011 duramax?

Does anyone have one on here? Real life milelage? My dad is looking at picking one up. Any input may/would be helpful. Thanks.
lauriat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2011, 07:26 AM   #2
Fullsize4life
Kicking Cancers ASS
 
Fullsize4life's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-25-06
Location: Hart, Mi (next to silver lake)
Posts: 18,757
iTrader: (7)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

My gramps is picking up a 2012 duramax this next week. I'll let ya know what he does.
Fullsize4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2011, 07:37 AM   #3
knixon804
THE GENERAL
 
knixon804's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-26-09
Location: Traverse City MI
Posts: 1,200
iTrader: (14)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

we have a both 2011 and 2012 d maxes and they dont really get shit for milage. they are both duallys and only have like 20-40,000 miles on them. power houses for being stock though
__________________
CUMMINS ON 37'S,8"BDS LONG ARM,TWIN TURBO...TOW PIG
WRANGLER ON 40'S,ROCKJOCK 60/D70,LINKED,ORI STRUTS,6.0 LQ9, LS6 GOODIES, 4l80E, ATLAS 3.0...TRAILER QUEEN
JK 2 DOOR, 3" BDS LIFT, 15" PROCOMP STEELIES
knixon804 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2011, 08:29 AM   #4
ScOoTeR
hoo dat. wat.
 
ScOoTeR's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-09-05
Location: Howell
Posts: 21,407
iTrader: (35)
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Default

Closest I can give you is 2011 preproduction numbers I saw when testing two years ago, and they're to be taken with a grain of salt, lol.

Running unloaded from here to Death Valley in an unloaded CCLB 4x4, I averaged 18 mpg while running between 65 and 80-ish mph. During that time, I was writing and testing control code for the "hydrocarbon injector" in the aftertreatment system. It is basically a single fuel injector that sprays fuel upstream of the DOC to create heat in the exhaust to burn off particulates. Without that running all the time, I would've been closer to 20 mpg.

YMMV
__________________
@clarkstoncracker
ScOoTeR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2011, 08:30 AM   #5
lauriat
Senior Member
 
lauriat's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-09-09
Location: Higgins Lake MI
Posts: 1,016
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullsize4life View Post
My gramps is picking up a 2012 duramax this next week. I'll let ya know what he does.
Ok, I'm not sure if he will end up getting it or not. I think he wants to be able to get high teens.


Quote:
Originally Posted by knixon804 View Post
we have a both 2011 and 2012 d maxes and they dont really get shit for milage. they are both duallys and only have like 20-40,000 miles on them. power houses for being stock though
He is looking at a crew cab 2500. I have done some reading and some people say they get 14 and the next one says they get 20-22. He drives fairly slow and is easy on acceleration. I will use it tow the enclosed and and take the capper off my truck and put it on his and use it when I take the dog somewhere also.
lauriat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2011, 10:16 AM   #6
Kodiak450r
Keep on truckin
 
Kodiak450r's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-14-07
Location: Waterford, MI
Posts: 5,911
iTrader: (19)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

my neighbor has a 2011 3500HD with the duramax, crew cab short bed single wheel. his real world mileage is around 15-16 MPG combined city/hwy. he drives to warren and back twice a week for work but mostly just a grocery getter.
Kodiak450r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2011, 12:20 PM   #7
mprmn08
Senior Member
 
mprmn08's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01-08-09
Location: grandville, mi
Posts: 252
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

does he want a new one or a newer one? if he could do a 2010 do that. doesnt have all the newer emmisions stuff that kills the mileage just the dpf. buddy gets about 18 with his 2010. i've HEARD dont know for sure that the 2011 and 2012 do only get about 14 or 15.
mprmn08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2011, 01:23 PM   #8
barry1me
Just another day
 
barry1me's Avatar
 
Join Date: 06-09-06
Location: Howell, MI
Posts: 2,894
iTrader: (9)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

I completely disagree with the last thread. 07.5-2010 Duramaxs will get less fuel mileage then the 2011+ Duramaxs. The SCR helps increase fuel mileage vs the prior generation LMM engines.....Scooter can vouch for this. I have a few friends with 2011 Duramaxs and when they try to get fuel mileage ie. driving 65 on the highway they can get 19-20.
barry1me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2011, 04:16 PM   #9
lauriat
Senior Member
 
lauriat's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-09-09
Location: Higgins Lake MI
Posts: 1,016
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Thanks guys. He would be happy with 19-20. Like I said he drives like a grandpa. He can get 13 out of my truck when he drives it. I know they drop down a little bit during the regen cycle each tank.
lauriat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2011, 08:38 AM   #10
mschaffer66
Senior Member
 
mschaffer66's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: West Bloomfield, MI
Posts: 9,190
iTrader: (17)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Default

I'm sure we all care about the mileage our vehicles get even if its going from shitty to less shitty. Hell I was happy to squeak another .5-1 mpg out of my JK.

I have to say though if the difference between 19-20mpg and 15-16mpg is a main influencing factor in buy a certain vehicle maybe that vehicle isn't really what you need.

That being said I'd listen to whatever Scooter said unless it begins with, "Don't worry, this won't hurt a bit...". Then run you should run away...

mschaffer66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2011, 08:58 AM   #11
ScOoTeR
hoo dat. wat.
 
ScOoTeR's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-09-05
Location: Howell
Posts: 21,407
iTrader: (35)
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mprmn08 View Post
does he want a new one or a newer one? if he could do a 2010 do that. doesnt have all the newer emmisions stuff that kills the mileage just the dpf. buddy gets about 18 with his 2010. i've HEARD dont know for sure that the 2011 and 2012 do only get about 14 or 15.
Quote:
Originally Posted by barry1me View Post
I completely disagree with the last thread. 07.5-2010 Duramaxs will get less fuel mileage then the 2011+ Duramaxs. The SCR helps increase fuel mileage vs the prior generation LMM engines.....Scooter can vouch for this. I have a few friends with 2011 Duramaxs and when they try to get fuel mileage ie. driving 65 on the highway they can get 19-20.
Everything from 2007.5 gets a DPF - that isn't exactly what hurts the fuel economy, it's actually not restrictive - cleaning the DPF is what hurts the fuel economy. You use an injector in the exhaust to provide fuel to a diesel oxidation catalyst (DOC) - the DOC burns the fuel and provides the heat for the DPF to burn off the particulates stored in the filter. You'll do this (called a DPF regeneration) about once a tankful of fuel, and it uses about a gallon of fuel.

The SCR hasn't made a difference in fuel economy for the GM trucks - when you see an increase in fuel economy using an SCR, it is usually when it replaces a NOx trap. A NOx trap needs periods of running rich (which is something diesels don't do often) to clean out the oxides of nitrogen.
__________________
@clarkstoncracker
ScOoTeR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2011, 09:12 AM   #12
lauriat
Senior Member
 
lauriat's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-09-09
Location: Higgins Lake MI
Posts: 1,016
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Thanks for the information Scooter!
lauriat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2011, 09:14 AM   #13
kickstand
sHaMoNe!
 
kickstand's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-20-06
Location: fenton
Posts: 30,768
iTrader: (46)
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschaffer66 View Post
I'm sure we all care about the mileage our vehicles get even if its going from shitty to less shitty. Hell I was happy to squeak another .5-1 mpg out of my JK.

I have to say though if the difference between 19-20mpg and 15-16mpg is a main influencing factor in buy a certain vehicle maybe that vehicle isn't really what you need.

:
How do you figure?

Maybe i am obsessive compulsive, but mileage is a big cost if you drive a fair amount of miles. I've argued that before.

I drive a lot, so it makes a bigger difference to me then a lot of people. But even at 10,000 miles a year a 5 mpg difference can really add up.
kickstand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2011, 09:25 AM   #14
tctrojan17
Sexy and I know it.
 
tctrojan17's Avatar
 
Join Date: 05-21-10
Location: traverse city
Posts: 888
iTrader: (5)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickstand View Post
How do you figure?

Maybe i am obsessive compulsive, but mileage is a big cost if you drive a fair amount of miles. I've argued that before.

I drive a lot, so it makes a bigger difference to me then a lot of people. But even at 10,000 miles a year a 5 mpg difference can really add up.
I think what he may be getting at is if mileage is that big of a concern when buying a truck made to use for intense towing and that costs that much then maybe you should be saving 20,000 and getting a 1/2 ton gasser and see your savings there. Especially since it sounds like nothing to terrible will be getting towed with it on a regular basis.
tctrojan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2011, 09:34 AM   #15
kickstand
sHaMoNe!
 
kickstand's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-20-06
Location: fenton
Posts: 30,768
iTrader: (46)
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tctrojan17 View Post
I think what he may be getting at is if mileage is that big of a concern when buying a truck made to use for intense towing and that costs that much then maybe you should be saving 20,000 and getting a 1/2 ton gasser and see your savings there. Especially since it sounds like nothing to terrible will be getting towed with it on a regular basis.
That's a great story and all....except a 1/2 ton gasser typically will only get real world 17-20 mpg, and most diesel's recently can get 17-20 mpg as well. It's a valid question. Regardless of how much towing you will actually be doing or what you will be using the truck for. Put 5,000 lbs behind a gasser and you dropped to 8 mpg, put that same load behind the diesel and you still may get 10-14mpg.

Ever consider that he may want a crew cab truck AND a long bed? Can you get that in a half ton?

Maybe he doesn't need the diesel for towing, but perhaps needs the bed space and doesn't want a gasser and 10 mpg in a 3/4 ton truck?

Perhaps he plans to keep the truck for 500,000 miles, or perhaps he is curious as to what kind of mileage the truck will get and wanted to see what people were getting out of them and was asking a legitimate question in regards to what the total cost of ownership would be?

Would you buy a car with out knowing what it will cost you to insure?

Why is knowing how much fuel it would use any different?

Knowing the approximate fuel mileage of the vehicle you plan on purchasing is a consideration of the total cost of ownership.

Call me a cheap ass, but when I car shop....

I look at the potential repair costs for fairly common parts, shocks, struts, starters, alternators, etc.

I look at the potential repair costs of catostrophic repairs (trans, engine, axles)

I look at the insurance costs.

I look at the cost of fuel.

I look at the replacement cost for wear items (brakes, tires, etc)

I see nothing wrong with the question.

Not to mention if you are going to spend 50k on a new truck that gets 12 mpg and have the option of considering very new used trucks that may get 18mpg and only cost 30k.....being informed is not a bad thing, nor is it a declaration of what someone can, could, should, afford to drive.
kickstand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2011, 09:41 AM   #16
ScOoTeR
hoo dat. wat.
 
ScOoTeR's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-09-05
Location: Howell
Posts: 21,407
iTrader: (35)
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickstand View Post

Maybe he doesn't need the diesel for towing, but perhaps needs the bed space and doesn't want a gasser and 10 mpg in a 3/4 ton truck?
Hey now, my gasser in a 3/4T truck gets 10 mpg towing.
__________________
@clarkstoncracker
ScOoTeR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2011, 09:45 AM   #17
kickstand
sHaMoNe!
 
kickstand's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-20-06
Location: fenton
Posts: 30,768
iTrader: (46)
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScOoTeR View Post
Hey now, my gasser in a 3/4T truck gets 10 mpg towing.
and empty
kickstand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2011, 09:57 AM   #18
mschaffer66
Senior Member
 
mschaffer66's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: West Bloomfield, MI
Posts: 9,190
iTrader: (17)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickstand View Post
That's a great story and all....except a 1/2 ton gasser typically will only get real world 17-20 mpg, and most diesel's recently can get 17-20 mpg as well. It's a valid question. Regardless of how much towing you will actually be doing or what you will be using the truck for. Put 5,000 lbs behind a gasser and you dropped to 8 mpg, put that same load behind the diesel and you still may get 10-14mpg.

Ever consider that he may want a crew cab truck AND a long bed? Can you get that in a half ton?

Maybe he doesn't need the diesel for towing, but perhaps needs the bed space and doesn't want a gasser and 10 mpg in a 3/4 ton truck?

Perhaps he plans to keep the truck for 500,000 miles, or perhaps he is curious as to what kind of mileage the truck will get and wanted to see what people were getting out of them and was asking a legitimate question in regards to what the total cost of ownership would be?

Would you buy a car with out knowing what it will cost you to insure?

Why is knowing how much fuel it would use any different?

Knowing the approximate fuel mileage of the vehicle you plan on purchasing is a consideration of the total cost of ownership.

Call me a cheap ass, but when I car shop....

I look at the potential repair costs for fairly common parts, shocks, struts, starters, alternators, etc.

I look at the potential repair costs of catostrophic repairs (trans, engine, axles)

I look at the insurance costs.

I look at the cost of fuel.

I look at the replacement cost for wear items (brakes, tires, etc)

I see nothing wrong with the question.

Not to mention if you are going to spend 50k on a new truck that gets 12 mpg and have the option of considering very new used trucks that may get 18mpg and only cost 30k.....being informed is not a bad thing, nor is it a declaration of what someone can, could, should, afford to drive.
Points very well taken.

I did make a few assumptions that could very well be wrong. I didn't even think about the CCLB possibility. Which was pretty fucktarded on my part because that's the biggest reason we went with a 3/4 ton truck over the 1/2 tons. The half ton CC get like a 5' bed and our camper won't sit in that short of a bed.

I guess my point was more of a suggestion to maybe just take a look at wants vs needs if mileage is that important. It wasn't intended to be the, "If you want fuel economy buy a Civic" argument.
mschaffer66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2011, 09:59 AM   #19
ScOoTeR
hoo dat. wat.
 
ScOoTeR's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-09-05
Location: Howell
Posts: 21,407
iTrader: (35)
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickstand View Post
and empty
15 mix city/hwy

18 if I take it easy on the hwy.
__________________
@clarkstoncracker
ScOoTeR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2011, 10:21 AM   #20
kickstand
sHaMoNe!
 
kickstand's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-20-06
Location: fenton
Posts: 30,768
iTrader: (46)
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScOoTeR View Post
Hey now, my gasser in a 3/4T truck gets 10 mpg towing.
I was referring to a 1/2 ton.
kickstand is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > 4x4 Talk > Chevy Tech
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:56 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright 2000 - 2012, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Copyright 2005 - 2012 Cracker Enterprises - Powered by Linux
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=
Page generated in 0.23592 seconds with 52 queries