Go Back   Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > The Pub
GL4x4 Live! GL4x4 Casino

The Pub A friendly forum where everybody is nice, and will answer any questions you have about life.







Search
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old July 24th, 2011, 12:41 PM   #1
schanxj
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 12-28-05
Location: Bay City, MI
Posts: 1,135
iTrader: (14)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default German Shepherd owners?

We are thinking about getting a family dog and the German Shepherd have many good traits we are looking for. We have 2 boys (3.5 and 13) so opinions from families with kids are appreciated. We also live in the city but have a double lot and lots of grass space for running, and also live next to a "rail trail" for walks every night. We would ideally like to find the pup from a family home rather than a shelter or breeder so we can see how the mom/father acts with the family and have a better gauge of the possible mix of breed without having to spend AKC prices. Thanks!

Last edited by schanxj; July 24th, 2011 at 07:23 PM.
schanxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2011, 12:44 PM   #2
archerchaos
I shoot bows & I'm a girl
 
archerchaos's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-10-11
Location: birmingham, michigan and Boyne City michigan
Posts: 721
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Great dogs and smart move checking the dispositions of the parents beforehand. I love pound dogs but with a small child I would play it safe. Look for hip dysplaysia. Terrible and prominent in that breed.
archerchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2011, 12:49 PM   #3
schanxj
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 12-28-05
Location: Bay City, MI
Posts: 1,135
iTrader: (14)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by archerchaos View Post
Great dogs and smart move checking the dispositions of the parents beforehand. I love pound dogs but with a small child I would play it safe. Look for hip dysplaysia. Terrible and prominent in that breed.
Hip and spine issues seem to be the norm, at least in most of the larger breeds we have been considering.
To add to our home life situation, I will most likely be working 3rd shift in the near future and my wife works from our home so she would be with the dog the most.
schanxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2011, 12:54 PM   #4
nate94gt
Member
 
nate94gt's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-31-10
Location: Allegan Michigan
Posts: 34
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

great dogs. Just make sure you do train them and interact them with people and other dogs. Do obedience class as a pup, and go through as far as you can. Interaction with people and other dogs is huge with any dog, but its very important with dogs that are big and strong, such as GSDs.

Some people get lucky and dont train/interact their dogs and end great with people and dogs, and others arent so lucky. Granted, it can still happen even with good interaction while young.

Watch for warning signs as a pup. ANYTHING that may be a sign of dominance/aggression (even if its "just a puppy being a puppy") can lead to horrible habits and dominance when older, and then you're in trouble. Food guarding, humping, even something as simple and seemingly harmless as the puppy batting your hands with its paws while you're rubbing its belly is a dominant trait that needs to be dealt with.

good luck, i love dogs.
nate94gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2011, 12:55 PM   #5
archerchaos
I shoot bows & I'm a girl
 
archerchaos's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-10-11
Location: birmingham, michigan and Boyne City michigan
Posts: 721
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

They have a great natural instinct to protect. You will want to socialize it a ton! The socialization will not affect their desire to protect, it will just make them more well rounded. Trust me, they will know when it's time to throw down! You don't want to create a situation where you can't have people over.
archerchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2011, 12:58 PM   #6
schanxj
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 12-28-05
Location: Bay City, MI
Posts: 1,135
iTrader: (14)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate94gt View Post
great dogs. Just make sure you do train them and interact them with people and other dogs. Do obedience class as a pup, and go through as far as you can. Interaction with people and other dogs is huge with any dog, but its very important with dogs that are big and strong, such as GSDs.

Some people get lucky and dont train/interact their dogs and end great with people and dogs, and others arent so lucky. Granted, it can still happen even with good interaction while young.

Watch for warning signs as a pup. ANYTHING that may be a sign of dominance/aggression (even if its "just a puppy being a puppy") can lead to horrible habits and dominance when older, and then you're in trouble. Food guarding, humping, even something as simple and seemingly harmless as the puppy batting your hands with its paws while you're rubbing its belly is a dominant trait that needs to be dealt with.

good luck, i love dogs.
Agree 100%, which leads to this being the right time for us because the kids and wife are home all day so the pup won't be crate raised or an outside dog.
schanxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2011, 12:58 PM   #7
Hombre
I carry a shank
 
Hombre's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-15-06
Location: Michigan
Posts: 4,439
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

If you get one, you should probably spell the name correctly. Shepherd, not Shepard. Just sayin'.
Hombre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2011, 01:02 PM   #8
steveo
In the band!
 
Join Date: 03-30-07
Location: montana/wyoming
Posts: 20,293
iTrader: (6)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

IMO, pitbulls of a different color. they are mean killer dogs that should all be shot.
steveo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2011, 01:02 PM   #9
nate94gt
Member
 
nate94gt's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-31-10
Location: Allegan Michigan
Posts: 34
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by schanxj View Post
Agree 100%, which leads to this being the right time for us because the kids and wife are home all day so the pup won't be crate raised or an outside dog.
nothing wrong w/ crate training. You will really want to do that while he's a pup, IMO. It REALLY REALLY helps with potty training. its hard to have a pair of eyes on him 100% of the time, even if you do have a wife/kids to watch him. good luck!
nate94gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2011, 01:09 PM   #10
98-S10-lifted
Senior Member
 
98-S10-lifted's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-28-08
Location: Westland, MI
Posts: 1,686
iTrader: (37)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

They are very smart dogs, train them right and feed them right and they will be a great dog. Don't be chinsy on the food and make sure you don't put them on puppy chow, it is best for them to grow slowly or else they have a higher tendancy to have bad hips and will only be around for about 9 years; much longer if fed right.

They are good around kids but make sure you have your kids friends come by often so it is plenty social or will become very protective over your kids.
98-S10-lifted is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2011, 01:45 PM   #11
archerchaos
I shoot bows & I'm a girl
 
archerchaos's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-10-11
Location: birmingham, michigan and Boyne City michigan
Posts: 721
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Crate train!
archerchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2011, 02:06 PM   #12
SizeMatters
Sketchy, Son....
 
SizeMatters's Avatar
 
Join Date: 05-24-10
Location: Blanchard, MI
Posts: 2,535
iTrader: (5)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

I agree with what is being said. I have a Doberman and she is great with the little ones and with other people. Shes OK with other dogs as long as the other dogs dont get to close to my son, then she gets really pissed off haha.
SizeMatters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2011, 02:08 PM   #13
steveo
In the band!
 
Join Date: 03-30-07
Location: montana/wyoming
Posts: 20,293
iTrader: (6)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SizeMatters View Post
I agree with what is being said. I have a Doberman and she is great with the little ones and with other people. Shes OK with other dogs as long as the other dogs dont get to close to my son, then she gets really pissed off haha.
Doberman = skinny pitbull.
steveo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2011, 02:08 PM   #14
SizeMatters
Sketchy, Son....
 
SizeMatters's Avatar
 
Join Date: 05-24-10
Location: Blanchard, MI
Posts: 2,535
iTrader: (5)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Steveo = Not skinny anything
SizeMatters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2011, 02:09 PM   #15
steveo
In the band!
 
Join Date: 03-30-07
Location: montana/wyoming
Posts: 20,293
iTrader: (6)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SizeMatters View Post
Steveo = Not skinny anything
Are you a drug dealer? pretty sure only drug dealers own dobermans.
steveo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2011, 02:10 PM   #16
SizeMatters
Sketchy, Son....
 
SizeMatters's Avatar
 
Join Date: 05-24-10
Location: Blanchard, MI
Posts: 2,535
iTrader: (5)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Yes, you can call me Disturban, the nudist loving crack dealer.
SizeMatters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2011, 02:33 PM   #17
tctrojan17
Sexy and I know it.
 
tctrojan17's Avatar
 
Join Date: 05-21-10
Location: traverse city
Posts: 888
iTrader: (5)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

I ended up getting a German Shepard mixed with an Aussie Shepard and he has been the best dog i have ever owned. He lets my daughter try to ride on his back, hook him up to her sled in the winter, step on him when he is sleeping, and a whole slew of other things and has never once shown any signs of aggression towards her or my family. He is also very protective but still friendly to other people.

The nice thing about getting a Shepard mix is you can get one that is likely to stay a bit smaller and have less likely a chance of having hip problems in older age. Mine is about 65 to 70 pounds and has shown no signs of the problem yet (knock on wood) but i also make sure he gets a lot of exorcise.
tctrojan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2011, 04:21 PM   #18
cglenn
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 09-12-06
Location: .
Posts: 5,719
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

My opinion might be unique but the German Shepard I had, had to be babysat a lot. Great guard dog but she couldn't be out in the yard without a leash or anything or else she would charge the fence. Training did a lot of good but still, she was very protective.
Of course this was a 96 pound German police dog from Germany. Your results may vary.
cglenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2011, 04:28 PM   #19
curbdog17
Party Animal
 
curbdog17's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08-10-08
Location: 49415
Posts: 31,611
iTrader: (23)
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Default

I had a German Shepard Rottweiler mix that was a great dog when I was single, she kept an eye on my house, when my wife moved in the dog got jealous and her attitude changed about people. After the birth of our first child she became even more aggressive. We tried to find a new home for here but that did not work out. We put here down just over 2 years ago.
I will most likely never own another dog.
curbdog17 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2011, 05:09 PM   #20
osteologation
Everyday I'm Shufflin'
 
osteologation's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-31-08
Location: Caro, MI
Posts: 1,709
iTrader: (7)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by curbdog17 View Post
I had a German Shepard Rottweiler mix that was a great dog when I was single, she kept an eye on my house, when my wife moved in the dog got jealous and her attitude changed about people. After the birth of our first child she became even more aggressive. We tried to find a new home for here but that did not work out. We put here down just over 2 years ago.
I will most likely never own another dog.
osteologation is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > The Pub
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:25 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright 2000 - 2012, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Copyright 2005 - 2012 Cracker Enterprises - Powered by Linux
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=
Page generated in 0.20538 seconds with 53 queries