Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

Operation "Welcome Home" the HULK project!

16K views 124 replies 19 participants last post by  babyjp95 
#1 ·
I'm starting a build for a friend of mine that is in Iraq. We are starting out with an 07' JK Unlimited that has a 4" lift with 1 ton U-joints and 35" tires, d30 and d44 axles, it was purchased with a blown motor so we are told, apparently it was hydrolocked, but i haven't had a chance to look it over yet. So for a motor we are gonna do a 6.1 Hemi swap. Other plans include a d44 front fender kit winch, bumpers, sliders, and what ever alse comes to his mind, O ya n beadlocks.:rock:
Here are a few of the pics! this may be a long build dew to the fact that I am a traveling worker and we have about a year to finish, but hoping to have it running by April.:nana::sparks:

Attachments

See less See more
#110 ·
Got little bit of details done on the HULK the other night before going to the dealer I got some trimming done on the rear wheel wells,
before

After

got the winch test fit before coating the front bumper

and got the overflow bottle figured out since the factory one won't fit anymore,

figured since there was so much consumed while building this project and I have a few laying around, it was only fitting:sonicjay::sonicjay:

taked to the dealer last night and they said they got first gear figured out but haven't got the other 2 missing gears yet. Hope they figure it out soon, longer it's there the more $ it is!

#111 ·
Well guys finally got the electrical gremlins worked out :rock:, turns out the manufacturer of the wiring harness forgot to send 2wires that tell the Jeep that it is no longer a manual but now an automatic. All electrical problems went away almost instantly. Got bumpers painted today with the Dupli-Color Bed Armor, get some pics after they dry for a while so I can touch them. Gonna work on the Jeep some more tomorrow then the Little woman and I are gonna take it on a trip to Mackinac this weekend for a test drive before Jakes parents take it to Geogia.
Here's a video of 0-60 without hammering on it right out of the hole.

Hope your impressed Jake:woot:

#114 ·
So shortly after we got to Mackinaw City we crossed the bridge and got this pic,

Figure Jake would want a pic with the Bridge in the back ground!
So yesterday I disconnected the battery and let it sit for about half an hour before reconnecting and haven't had a problem with the idle since. Ran good all the way home. Jake here's your Hottie driving your Jeep

#117 ·
Last post from Babyjp95 for the HULK!

Well guys I dropped the HULK off to Jakes parents this morning so they could take it to him tomorrow he is supposed to travel sometime in the near future but we no how things can change with the military. Anyways I got new seats in the mail this week and it will be my final upgrade to the project until he returns to Michigan with it and I need to fix the 4wd bracket so he can get 4low. here are a couple of pics of the transformation of the interior.......
Seats...

empty interior....

always something to modify to get just the right fitment...

had to drill a couple extra holes in the bottom too...

finally got the center counsel from the dealer, which by the way was the cheapest place to get it from by $100

back seat covers fit pretty decent i think...

Final fitment of the front seats...

and finally Jake this is for you, here are the front panels removed from your hard top.....

Well guys anything else is probably going to come from Jake himself but I can tell you this it has an appointment for next week to get regeared cause the 3:21's suck and he ordered recentered H1's with 37's already so hopefully he will be posting on all that when it's finished.

I gonna miss this project, it had a few hair loss instances (as if I can afford to loose anymore) but all and all I really enjoyed it and it was a BLAST to drive, can't wait for the gears now!

#120 ·
Well everybody it's been a long time since anyone has heard from or about the Hulk. The Hulk has gone through a few changes since I last reported, he got the 5:13's and the re-centered H1's didn't last long. couldn't get them to balance to run down the road. Probably a great trail worthy idea but not road worthy. So got a new set of wheels and tires, Pro comps with Toyo MT's. After a month or so in Georgia Jake got restationed to Washington and on his way there the cv in the front shaft locked up and granaded the shaft and t-case, so they have been replaced. SHortly after moving to Washington Jake found a few places to play and the second day out he managed to shear all the teeth off the ring gear in the front end, so that got warrantied.

#121 ·
The change of ownership

Now that Jake got is living in Washington he has found that the businesses over there are not customer oriented. I just remembered that he also managed to blowup the trans so thats been replaced as well. After realizing that the businesses out there suck he decided to sell the Hulk cause he didn't like the idea of a $1500 bill for replacing the front and rear pads and turning rotors. (ouch). So when listing he had a few low ballers like always, after a week or so of this he contacted my wife and I and offered it to us at a discount cause of the work I did to it and in the end my wife is now the proud owner of the Hulk. And this is where the story changes! Since the Hulk is now owned by a woman whom Loves pink, and plans on a wild paint job with Pink and the Rescue Green in the future has renamed the vehicle to Ms Hulk! Yes folks thats Ms Hulk.
Here She is next to my wifes pride and joy

Here is the start of the pink for the moment

Since we have purchased Ms Hulk I have sent the computer to Burnsville Offroad to be reflashed cause it had a serious issue in the programming that prevented her from getting any kind of decent mileage. Now she is sitting at Venom Motorsports in Grand Rapids getting a full exhaust job due to the 4-5 exhaust leaks that are causing a lean code in the computer. Should be done Monday, cant wait to get her back. Hope everyone is as pleased as me to see she is still running strong and being taken care of!

#123 ·
so I got Ms Hulk back from Venom yesterday, she's back to running good and no lean code, Yeah!!!! So from the day my wife purchased her she has not liked the rock sliders and wanted steps. Me being the guy I am i bought a set of used steps and since I am not a body man i decided to combined the 2. This is what I started with:

now time to start cutting

now time to start putting the 2 together, after a little welding and painting we ended up with this

wife is happy so you all know what that means!
Next was time for the wife's signature feature on her Jeeps. She has an obsession with what she calls nostrils

Both of her Jeeps can now breath easier. lol once again wife is happy, life is great!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.