Go Back   Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > 4x4 Talk > Tow rigs and trailers
GL4x4 Live! GL4x4 Casino







Search
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old March 8th, 2011, 01:19 AM   #1
knaffie
Senior Member
 
knaffie's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01-13-08
Location: home is where I hang my hat
Posts: 1,759
iTrader: (11)
?? best treatment for a new treated lumber trailer deck

I just picked up a new PJ trailer. The brochure says it has 2" Pine Treated Lumber deck.

The trailer will be stored outside - exposed to the sun, rain, snow, humidity, the works. I'm looking for a good coating to put on it that make the deck last for 10+ years.

I'm looking for something I can buy locally - Home Depot, Lowe's, Menards, Sherwin Williams, etc. I am NOT going to put any type of used motor oil / ATF / diesel fuel type product on it.

In the old threads I read on here, seems like a lot of people are still recommending linseed oil. I bought the best stuff for the deck at my house - $150 for 5 gallons from Lowe's, and its holding up well. I've read many times that more color pigment = better protection. Other than that, I don't really have a clue what I need.

I'm a welding guy, not a wood guy, so any input is appreciated.
knaffie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2011, 04:17 PM   #2
Yota Bill
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 08-24-08
Location: Morrice, Mi
Posts: 3,229
iTrader: (11)
I've heard of people mixing wood stain and mineral spirits 50/50 to waterproof the wood (I know its common for the home built teardrop campers)...the mineral spirits help it soak into the wood...seems like it would work well to me, though I have not tried it. From everything I have read on doing that, it requires many coats as it keeps soaking in, which is exactly what you want it to do.
Yota Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2011, 04:23 PM   #3
ChevyRacer1981
Throw'in turtles........
 
ChevyRacer1981's Avatar
 
Join Date: 05-07-08
Location: Sagnasty / MI
Posts: 2,358
iTrader: (32)
I'm a welding guy too so I just bought the treated wood at Home Depot and hoping for the best.
ChevyRacer1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2011, 04:24 PM   #4
Haggar
Covered in mud...
 
Haggar's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-06-05
Location: Oxford, MI
Posts: 17,386
iTrader: (52)
There was a thread a while back on pirate. There was a nasty mixture that a lot of people swear by, I believe motor oil and diesel or motor oil and gasoline, I can't remember which. Might check there.

Mine needs to get recoated this summer.
Haggar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2011, 04:27 PM   #5
Haggar
Covered in mud...
 
Haggar's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-06-05
Location: Oxford, MI
Posts: 17,386
iTrader: (52)
this isn't the one I'm thinking of..

Best treatment for a wood deck trailer - Pirate4x4.Com Bulletin Board

There's this:

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/r...iler-deck.html
Haggar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2011, 04:35 PM   #6
JohnnyJ
Low Range Drifter
 
JohnnyJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-09-05
Location: Hartland, MI
Posts: 5,927
iTrader: (37)
My neighbor repainted my trailer and treated the deckboards this past summer after borrowing it a few times. I believe he used 50/50 mix of kerosene and used engine oil for the deck boards.

Seems to be holding up well.

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?..._Preservatives
__________________
Neither Skinny Nor Pretty DEAK Racing 4517 Ultra 4 Mod Class Rig
Barn sale! Check out what's left!
Surviving Project Car Hell - We have all been there
JohnnyJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2011, 05:04 PM   #7
bdd1469
bdd
 
bdd1469's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-12-10
Location: alto mi
Posts: 2,063
iTrader: (1)
Send a message via Yahoo to bdd1469
Go to sevens and get austrailan timber oil ,spray it on with a pump up yard sprayer,we put it on every deck we build.
bdd1469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2011, 06:10 PM   #8
kickstand
sHaMoNe!
 
kickstand's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-20-06
Location: fenton
Posts: 30,107
iTrader: (46)
Quote:
Originally Posted by knaffie View Post
I just picked up a new PJ trailer. The brochure says it has 2" Pine Treated Lumber deck.

The trailer will be stored outside - exposed to the sun, rain, snow, humidity, the works. I'm looking for a good coating to put on it that make the deck last for 10+ years.

I'm looking for something I can buy locally - Home Depot, Lowe's, Menards, Sherwin Williams, etc. I am NOT going to put any type of used motor oil / ATF / diesel fuel type product on it.In the old threads I read on here, seems like a lot of people are still recommending linseed oil. I bought the best stuff for the deck at my house - $150 for 5 gallons from Lowe's, and its holding up well. I've read many times that more color pigment = better protection. Other than that, I don't really have a clue what I need.

I'm a welding guy, not a wood guy, so any input is appreciated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggar View Post
There was a thread a while back on pirate. There was a nasty mixture that a lot of people swear by, I believe motor oil and diesel or motor oil and gasoline, I can't remember which. Might check there.

Mine needs to get recoated this summer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggar View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyJ View Post
My neighbor repainted my trailer and treated the deckboards this past summer after borrowing it a few times. I believe he used 50/50 mix of kerosene and used engine oil for the deck boards.Seems to be holding up well.

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?..._Preservatives




weird.
kickstand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2011, 07:01 PM   #9
JohnnyJ
Low Range Drifter
 
JohnnyJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-09-05
Location: Hartland, MI
Posts: 5,927
iTrader: (37)
Thanks cool guy, without you this place would shut down.
__________________
Neither Skinny Nor Pretty DEAK Racing 4517 Ultra 4 Mod Class Rig
Barn sale! Check out what's left!
Surviving Project Car Hell - We have all been there
JohnnyJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2011, 07:06 PM   #10
capone
Senior Member
 
capone's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01-16-06
Location: Clinton Township
Posts: 3,217
iTrader: (50)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyJ View Post
Thanks cool guy, without you this place would shut down.
It might not shut down but it wouldn't be as entertaining.


Back to the treated lumber, There is some good information here: http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/arti...219491,00.html
__________________
When I grow up I want to be an internet comedian.
capone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2011, 07:06 PM   #11
dougstephvoor
Supreme Chancelor!
 
dougstephvoor's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-21-10
Location: Saranac/Michigan
Posts: 2,179
iTrader: (3)
I recomend simple old barn stain soaked in good and thick, I have a picnick table I built when I was 15, it was stained with cheap ass barn stain, some of the colors are ugly as hell, but the thing is still out their setting for many year exposed to every thing, and is still in usable shape.

We used this Thompsons water seal on the back deck, 11 years ago and the shit fell apart three years ago, it maintains the wood look, and is not an ugly ass color,but does not last as long.
dougstephvoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2011, 08:32 PM   #12
scottie
American Leyland??
 
scottie's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Sweet home Georgia on my mind
Posts: 8,481
iTrader: (2)
Send a message via AIM to scottie
I was told i had to do absolutely nothing to mine.

I like maintenance free.
scottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2011, 08:35 PM   #13
Shotgun
never wheeled but blown
 
Shotgun's Avatar
 
Join Date: 12-06-06
Location: Howard City
Posts: 25,813
iTrader: (6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kickstand View Post
weird.
looks like I just earned more casino cash.
Shotgun is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply
Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > 4x4 Talk > Tow rigs and trailers
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:00 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright 2000 - 2012, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2005 - 2012 Cracker Enterprises - Powered by Linux
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=
Page generated in 0.15000 seconds with 39 queries