places to wheel in mid mi. - Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest

Go Back   Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > Trail Rides & 4x4 Events
GL4x4 Live! GL4x4 Casino

greatlakes4x4.com is the premier Great Lakes 4x4 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Search
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old February 27th, 2011, 10:41 PM   #1
plan d
Newbie
 
Join Date: 02-27-11
Location: lakewood,co.
Posts: 6
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Wink places to wheel in mid mi.

We might be driving to Jackson in june/july and were looking for some suggestions to places in mid mi. for 4-wheeling, camping ect... We'll have a capable vehicle wirh all the usuall bits, but traveling lite on spares. kind of looking for places other than pay-to-play type areas. Any ideas?
plan d is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old February 27th, 2011, 10:46 PM   #2
Andy456123
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 08-10-10
Location: 61025
Posts: 900
iTrader: (4)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

although it doesn't list exact websites, the sticky of the forum you posted in has all the MI off road parks listed:

2011 Event Calendar - Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest

just google the names or search on this site and you will find them
Andy456123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2011, 10:53 PM   #3
plan d
Newbie
 
Join Date: 02-27-11
Location: lakewood,co.
Posts: 6
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

yea, haven't had a chance to check out any topo for the area but looking more at obscure trails and routes than off road parks.
plan d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2011, 11:26 PM   #4
Swampdog02
Wakley Creek Wacos!
 
Swampdog02's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-10-09
Location: Horton, MI
Posts: 1,054
iTrader: (3)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

www.bundyhilloffroad.com

This place is a 350 acre private off road park that is 16 miles South of Jackson, MI.

http://rocksandvalleys.com/index.html

This place is a 200 acre private off road park that is about 150 miles North of Jackson, MI. This is well worth the drive North.

http://www.twistedtrailsoffroadpark.com/

A little further North of R&V, but again worth the drive.
Swampdog02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2011, 06:24 AM   #5
crosseyed cat
safety cone killer !!!
 
crosseyed cat's Avatar
 
Join Date: 05-03-10
Location: Reed City MI
Posts: 325
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

look out if the DNR still has any funding this summer they will have your ars everybody is looking for revenue
crosseyed cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2011, 06:36 AM   #6
whiterhino
I'm not old, honest...
 
whiterhino's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-07-06
Location: Davisburg MI
Posts: 22,329
iTrader: (22)
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Default

Since you have said you DO NOT want to do a pay to play but rather trail riding, your off roading choices are limited. Michigan does not have any LEGAL trail riding on state or NFS land that is CHALLENGING. We have a couple stupid rules that negate what you are looking for. First, any LEGAL trail must be passable by a conventional 2wd vehicle. This means that granny's grocery getter must be able to go down the trail. Second, you are not allowed to operate a vehicle in an erosive manner. This means you can't spin your tires.

With all that, the 2 tracks of mid-northern Michigan are beautiful and offer some great scenic driving. Just nothing that requires a stout 4x4. Yes, there are the occasional hills & sandy spots where common sense would suggest 4wd just so you don't struggle but nothing to get excited about.

The sad thing is that Michigan actually has what you ask for, it's just not legal and our state government doesn't realize that they could boost the tourism if they would allow it. After all, a logging company can destroy an area, and that's OK because it's "business".
whiterhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2011, 10:04 AM   #7
sachenard
wileyeyejeep
 
sachenard's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01-11-08
Location: allegan mi
Posts: 117
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiterhino View Post
Since you have said you DO NOT want to do a pay to play but rather trail riding, your off roading choices are limited. Michigan does not have any LEGAL trail riding on state or NFS land that is CHALLENGING. We have a couple stupid rules that negate what you are looking for. First, any LEGAL trail must be passable by a conventional 2wd vehicle. This means that granny's grocery getter must be able to go down the trail. Second, you are not allowed to operate a vehicle in an erosive manner. This means you can't spin your tires.

With all that, the 2 tracks of mid-northern Michigan are beautiful and offer some great scenic driving. Just nothing that requires a stout 4x4. Yes, there are the occasional hills & sandy spots where common sense would suggest 4wd just so you don't struggle but nothing to get excited about.

The sad thing is that Michigan actually has what you ask for, it's just not legal and our state government doesn't realize that they could boost the tourism if they would allow it. After all, a logging company can destroy an area, and that's OK because it's "business".
AMEN, well said
sachenard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2011, 12:59 PM   #8
kmanxj5011
Senior Member
 
kmanxj5011's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-17-08
Location: Reed City, Michigan
Posts: 2,259
iTrader: (13)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachenard View Post
AMEN, well said
x2
kmanxj5011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2011, 08:18 PM   #9
plan d
Newbie
 
Join Date: 02-27-11
Location: lakewood,co.
Posts: 6
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

so if I understand you correctly that also goes for the nat'l forest. Then what about in the UP, it seems that there should be some remote areas up there. Any suggestions for that part of the state?

As for tourism $$$. COHVCO did a extensive report on the impact motorized recreation has on the state of Co. and found that over 1 billion is spent annually by off roaders. The report was sent out to every local tourism and gov. agency in the state and roads are still being closed down. Go figure that shit out?
plan d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2011, 08:29 PM   #10
Freak
Wheelin the HD
 
Freak's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01-27-07
Location: Portland, TX
Posts: 7,227
iTrader: (14)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to Freak Send a message via Yahoo to Freak
Default

Michigan is smarter than Colorado... don't believe everything you read...
Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2011, 08:35 PM   #11
plan d
Newbie
 
Join Date: 02-27-11
Location: lakewood,co.
Posts: 6
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Hey Freak, do you mean as far as places to wheel?
plan d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2011, 10:36 PM   #12
opie
www.krissplicing.com
 
Join Date: 07-21-08
Location: Lansing, MI
Posts: 817
iTrader: (10)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by plan d View Post
so if I understand you correctly that also goes for the nat'l forest. Then what about in the UP, it seems that there should be some remote areas up there. Any suggestions for that part of the state?

As for tourism $$$. COHVCO did a extensive report on the impact motorized recreation has on the state of Co. and found that over 1 billion is spent annually by off roaders. The report was sent out to every local tourism and gov. agency in the state and roads are still being closed down. Go figure that shit out?
In short... Yes. The UP of MI has every type of offroading you can shake a stick at. The problem is unless you know where youre at, you may find yourself staring at a gate because youre map doesnt show you may be coming onto private land. You could basically go from the Soo, all the way to the tip of the Keewenaw without touching pavement. With a mix of rocks, sand, water, mud, waterfalls, camping on lake Superior etc. Possibilities are endless. Heck of a drive, though. You need at least a week to actually enjoy it.

If youre looking for no "pay to play" Drummond Island would be the ideal destination if you dont want to get lost but have some decent wheeling and vistas.

For what its worth, The Delorme Topo software is pretty accurate as to whats where. Garmin Topo isnt bad, but may leave you stranded.

Check out www.upoverland.org. The guys that run that site have spent countless hours scouting the UP for the trips they host every year.
opie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2011, 10:57 PM   #13
Freak
Wheelin the HD
 
Freak's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01-27-07
Location: Portland, TX
Posts: 7,227
iTrader: (14)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to Freak Send a message via Yahoo to Freak
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by plan d View Post
Hey Freak, do you mean as far as places to wheel?
I was going for "dripping with sarcasm" every time I've hit the Nat forest around here there are more buried off trails, the so called maps from the dnr show several "disconnected" trails and will leave you lost if you don't read very carefully.
Last year I was still dding my rig, a sas s10 on 35's spool rear and limited slip front, nothing requiring 4 wheel drive was out there.
Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2011, 12:42 AM   #14
plan d
Newbie
 
Join Date: 02-27-11
Location: lakewood,co.
Posts: 6
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Thanks opie that helps alot. Drummond Isle. sounds like a good place to check into. I have Terrain navigator and overland navigator but not for mi. which are scaned USGS topo maps. i'll have to spend some time at the link you posted i should be able to find something over there. So in the UP what is the weather like in Jun/Jul. Out here most of the high passes are still under snow at that time of the year.

Freak, yeah even with strong oppostion trail closers around hear are popping up all the time too. unless you have a friendly ranger district they listen to the enviros. and screw everone else.

Holy shit DET vs LA 6-1 ugh........
plan d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2011, 06:49 AM   #15
kmanxj5011
Senior Member
 
kmanxj5011's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-17-08
Location: Reed City, Michigan
Posts: 2,259
iTrader: (13)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by opie View Post
In short... Yes. The UP of MI has every type of offroading you can shake a stick at. The problem is unless you know where youre at, you may find yourself staring at a gate because youre map doesnt show you may be coming onto private land. You could basically go from the Soo, all the way to the tip of the Keewenaw without touching pavement. With a mix of rocks, sand, water, mud, waterfalls, camping on lake Superior etc. Possibilities are endless. Heck of a drive, though. You need at least a week to actually enjoy it.

If youre looking for no "pay to play" Drummond Island would be the ideal destination if you dont want to get lost but have some decent wheeling and vistas.

For what its worth, The Delorme Topo software is pretty accurate as to whats where. Garmin Topo isnt bad, but may leave you stranded.

Check out www.upoverland.org. The guys that run that site have spent countless hours scouting the UP for the trips they host every year.
thanks for the awesome link!!!!! ive always wanted to make a trip like that but been a little fearful of going at it with limited knowledge!
kmanxj5011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2011, 12:49 PM   #16
lososjoyride00
vehicle abuse specialist
 
lososjoyride00's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10-07-07
Location: Harrison, mich
Posts: 2,149
iTrader: (15)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

You get caught on state/national forest wheelin=ticket...... cheaper to pay $20 and wheel at a private park.
lososjoyride00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2011, 01:17 PM   #17
opie
www.krissplicing.com
 
Join Date: 07-21-08
Location: Lansing, MI
Posts: 817
iTrader: (10)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lososjoyride00 View Post
You get caught on state/national forest wheelin=ticket...... cheaper to pay $20 and wheel at a private park.
There are plenty of legal places to "wheel" on national land. You just need to know where you are, your rights and not have an attitude if you get stopped. Things change so rapidly you may very well be on a closed road/trail.
opie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2011, 01:26 PM   #18
Rockstar
sɐƃǝʌ sɐן
 
Rockstar's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-25-07
Location: Taylor,Mi
Posts: 8,516
iTrader: (11)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Default

i hate Michigan.
Rockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2011, 10:02 PM   #19
plan d
Newbie
 
Join Date: 02-27-11
Location: lakewood,co.
Posts: 6
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Thanks to "opie, freak, and whiterhino" for your advice and suggestions, and to all for the quick responses. It looks like our best choice might be in the UP. I guess it's time to get out the maps and get back with questions closer to our departure date. Still wondering about weather up there in July though.
plan d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2011, 05:43 AM   #20
opie
www.krissplicing.com
 
Join Date: 07-21-08
Location: Lansing, MI
Posts: 817
iTrader: (10)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

July might be a little on the buggy side. You will surely have mosquitos to deal with. Im not sure if thats past black fly season, though.

Just some suggestions for you to narrow down places to visit...

Mouth of the Huron
Mouth of the Two Hearted river
Gay Beach
High Rock Point
Vermillion
Whitefish Point
Pictured Rocks Lakeshore

There is some decent wheeling around Mt Avron with some good views.
opie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > Trail Rides & 4x4 Events

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:12 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright 2000 - 2012, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Page generated in 0.36762 seconds with 82 queries