. - Page 7 - Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest

Go Back   Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > 4x4 Talk > Rig Builds and Pics
GL4x4 Live! GL4x4 Casino

Rig Builds and Pics Introduce your rig or post a buildup here.

greatlakes4x4.com is the premier Great Lakes 4x4 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Search
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old January 23rd, 2011, 01:45 PM   #121
jeepbrattt
New car smell.....Mmmmmmm
 
jeepbrattt's Avatar
 
Join Date: 05-31-08
Location: mi
Posts: 7,056
iTrader: (28)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Default

Everything was gonna be bolted up and in today, but need a crankshaft spacer, Tranny is a 92. Ordering that today as well.

Last edited by jeepbrattt; January 23rd, 2011 at 02:43 PM.
jeepbrattt is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old January 23rd, 2011, 01:58 PM   #122
fabricator
throttle jockey
 
fabricator's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08-15-06
Location: twin lake
Posts: 1,243
iTrader: (33)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

a crankshaft spacer, not a sensor. ls motors crankshaft doesn't stick out as far as older smallblocks, so you need a spacer if you run an older transmission.
fabricator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2011, 02:16 PM   #123
MiNi Beast
Senior Member
 
MiNi Beast's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-13-06
Location: Marquette, MI
Posts: 9,006
iTrader: (75)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

So what this thing going to be done by Dog Party after all?
MiNi Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2011, 02:46 PM   #124
jeepbrattt
New car smell.....Mmmmmmm
 
jeepbrattt's Avatar
 
Join Date: 05-31-08
Location: mi
Posts: 7,056
iTrader: (28)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiNi Beast View Post
So what this thing going to be done by Dog Party after all?

Still have to send the computer and harness out and lots more to do, maybe, but i'm gonna guess no. Which is fine, better done right then in a hurry
jeepbrattt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2011, 04:22 PM   #125
whiterhino
I'm not old, honest...
 
whiterhino's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-07-06
Location: Davisburg MI
Posts: 21,463
iTrader: (21)
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tctrojan17 View Post
I just read this whole thread and this jeep will be sick. I know how well those motors push the truck they originally came in i can not imagine what it can do for a jeep. Nice build.
No it won't. 6.0's run so-so at best and then to make it worse it's gonna be driven by a girl. Be lucky to keep up with a 4 cyl.
whiterhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2011, 04:35 PM   #126
Haggar
Covered in mud...
 
Haggar's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-06-05
Location: Oxford, MI
Posts: 17,656
iTrader: (56)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabricator View Post
a crankshaft spacer, not a sensor. ls motors crankshaft doesn't stick out as far as older smallblocks, so you need a spacer if you run an older transmission.
Yup. In fact, on a lot of 6.0/4L80e combos had that spacer as an OEM piece, because they didn't make a longer snout 4L80e.

Make sure you get the longer crankshaft bolts as well to go with it.
Haggar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2011, 04:57 PM   #127
jeepbrattt
New car smell.....Mmmmmmm
 
jeepbrattt's Avatar
 
Join Date: 05-31-08
Location: mi
Posts: 7,056
iTrader: (28)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiterhino View Post
No it won't. 6.0's run so-so at best and then to make it worse it's gonna be driven by a girl. Be lucky to keep up with a 4 cyl.
.....
jeepbrattt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2011, 05:22 PM   #128
95geo
newbie
 
95geo's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: dryden
Posts: 5,776
iTrader: (6)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggar View Post
Yup. In fact, on a lot of 6.0/4L80e combos had that spacer as an OEM piece, because they didn't make a longer snout 4L80e.

Make sure you get the longer crankshaft bolts as well to go with it.
Torque converter bolts.... The flexplate has to stay where it is or the starter won't line up correctly. Most of the adapters I have seen don't use any of the crankshaft bolts to fasten it but if the one she gets does then those are needed too.

If you do use longer crankshaft bolts make sure they aren't too long or you'll lock up the engine by bottoming out on the bearing cap.
95geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2011, 06:48 PM   #129
whiterhino
I'm not old, honest...
 
whiterhino's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-07-06
Location: Davisburg MI
Posts: 21,463
iTrader: (21)
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Default

Keep in mind mine is a 6.0 mated to a TH350. Flex plate stayed the same. I had to slot the holes in my flex plate because the 3 bolt pattern is slightly different in the torque converter. The only difference I had was I needed the pilot spacer/adapter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepbrattt View Post
.....
whiterhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2011, 07:29 PM   #130
Haggar
Covered in mud...
 
Haggar's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-06-05
Location: Oxford, MI
Posts: 17,656
iTrader: (56)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95geo View Post
Torque converter bolts.... The flexplate has to stay where it is or the starter won't line up correctly. Most of the adapters I have seen don't use any of the crankshaft bolts to fasten it but if the one she gets does then those are needed too.

If you do use longer crankshaft bolts make sure they aren't too long or you'll lock up the engine by bottoming out on the bearing cap.
I was referring to the GM performance parts spacer. This one goes after the flexplate, between the plate and the converter. This style requires bolts which are 0.400" longer.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/NAL-12563532/

the bolts:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/NAL-12563533/

goes like in this pic: (from pirate)

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pic297.jpg
Views:	1011
Size:	27.9 KB
ID:	73563  
Haggar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2011, 07:33 PM   #131
Haggar
Covered in mud...
 
Haggar's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-06-05
Location: Oxford, MI
Posts: 17,656
iTrader: (56)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

here are the facts about fitting an old style trans to the gen3 engines

1. the gm gen1,2 trans will bolt to the gen3 engines but you only use 5 bolts, the gen 3 engines do not use the middle bellhousing bolt on the pass side( no big deal)

2. you do not need a special flexplate, the curved 4.8,5.3,LS1- just need the t/c bolt holes ovaled out a bit and the 5.3 flex plates have a set of holes that match the small gm t/c bolt pattern perfect

- the 6.0 flat flex plate has the same t/c holes as the large gm pattern(th400 and most aftermarket th350 converters that have a dual t/c bolt pattern on them)

3. you need to use a crankshaft spacer when using a gen1,2 trans and converter there are 2 types:

- hughes gen3 crankshaft spacer part # hup-3795 $44 from summit/jegs, this spacer must be used with the curved 4.8,5.3,LS1 flexplates

- gm stock 6.0 crankshaft spacer 12563532 and longer bolts 12563533, this spacer can be used with either the flat or curved flexplate ( if using the curved style flexplate the flexplate goes on the crank first then the spacer goes on then the bolts, if using the flat 6.0 flexplate the spacer goes on the crankshaft first then the flexplate then the bolts)



So, in the pic above, thats correct for an LS1 or 5.3. And then it appears it'd go the other way for a 6.0, which was the factory configuration. Really depends on what flexplate setup she has.
Haggar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2011, 07:40 PM   #132
Haggar
Covered in mud...
 
Haggar's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-06-05
Location: Oxford, MI
Posts: 17,656
iTrader: (56)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

I think this is the style you were thinking of?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HU...5&autoview=sku

Really really check the flywheel to see which you have.
Haggar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2011, 07:46 PM   #133
jeepbrattt
New car smell.....Mmmmmmm
 
jeepbrattt's Avatar
 
Join Date: 05-31-08
Location: mi
Posts: 7,056
iTrader: (28)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Default

Kevin will be on here later, he's got a list of parts I need, see if some of you guys may have them laying around. I didn't go into detail with him on the phone as to the exact part, he will be sending me a part number to order. I personally have no clue which design it is, (why i'm having someone else do the build, even tho i'm learning ALOT) I'm guessing he will clarify when he reads all your thoughts.

And Thanks for all the input as always! Much appreciated!

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/index.php great site, lots of info

Last edited by jeepbrattt; January 23rd, 2011 at 07:51 PM.
jeepbrattt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2011, 07:47 PM   #134
hosejockey4506
Visiting Admin
 
hosejockey4506's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-04-05
Location: fenton
Posts: 8,798
iTrader: (43)
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggar View Post
I think this is the style you were thinking of?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HU...5&autoview=sku

Really really check the flywheel to see which you have.

why if it came on that motor just run it
__________________
one of Michigans 99% er club.
hosejockey4506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2011, 08:04 PM   #135
jeepbrattt
New car smell.....Mmmmmmm
 
jeepbrattt's Avatar
 
Join Date: 05-31-08
Location: mi
Posts: 7,056
iTrader: (28)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Default

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/NAL-12563532/
Ordered this and bolts. Found them in a 6 pack for about half the price.

Last edited by jeepbrattt; January 23rd, 2011 at 09:07 PM.
jeepbrattt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2011, 09:11 PM   #136
jeepm715
DEAK Racing
 
jeepm715's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-22-07
Location: Troy, MI
Posts: 285
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Default

I just did one of these, D&E Transmission on 10 mile near dequindre has a kit for the 4L80 that has the flexplate, Spacer, and bolts to make it all work for about $80. The correct bolts from GM are about $5 each, plus the spacer, the flexplate is almost free in the kit.

Edit: I take that back, Summit claims $10.99 each for the bolts, and they are specific for the flex plate, as Geo said, don't get them too long!
jeepm715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2011, 12:30 AM   #137
jeepbrattt
New car smell.....Mmmmmmm
 
jeepbrattt's Avatar
 
Join Date: 05-31-08
Location: mi
Posts: 7,056
iTrader: (28)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepm715 View Post
I just did one of these, D&E Transmission on 10 mile near dequindre has a kit for the 4L80 that has the flexplate, Spacer, and bolts to make it all work for about $80. The correct bolts from GM are about $5 each, plus the spacer, the flexplate is almost free in the kit.

Edit: I take that back, Summit claims $10.99 each for the bolts, and they are specific for the flex plate, as Geo said, don't get them too long!

They also have a 6 pack for $29 which is what I got, and plate for just under $50, so same price as D&E.
jeepbrattt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2011, 01:28 AM   #138
Shotgun
I only wheel comps.
 
Shotgun's Avatar
 
Join Date: 12-06-06
Location: Howard City
Posts: 26,749
iTrader: (6)
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepbrattt View Post
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/NAL-12563532/
Ordered this and bolts. Found them in a 6 pack for about half the price.
Becky you overpaid......


http://www.gmpartsdirect.com
GM PART # 12563532
CATEGORY: Engine Flywheel
PACK QTY: 1
CORE CHARGE: $0.00
GM LIST: $53.39
OUR PRICE: $31.04

GM PART # 12563533
CATEGORY: All
PACK QTY: 1
CORE CHARGE: $0.00
GM LIST: $6.93
OUR PRICE: $4.02

You can order a extra bolt from summit for the one that WILL get lost.
Shotgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2011, 05:17 AM   #139
jeepbrattt
New car smell.....Mmmmmmm
 
jeepbrattt's Avatar
 
Join Date: 05-31-08
Location: mi
Posts: 7,056
iTrader: (28)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shotgun View Post
Becky you overpaid......


http://www.gmpartsdirect.com
GM PART # 12563532
CATEGORY: Engine Flywheel
PACK QTY: 1
CORE CHARGE: $0.00
GM LIST: $53.39
OUR PRICE: $31.04

GM PART # 12563533
CATEGORY: All
PACK QTY: 1
CORE CHARGE: $0.00
GM LIST: $6.93
OUR PRICE: $4.02

You can order a extra bolt from summit for the one that WILL get lost.

price per bolt..so X6 + $24.20

I'm sure there will be times I don't find the best price, at least this time it was only around $20. What ya gonna do? Where were you last night when I was ordering???
jeepbrattt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2011, 05:23 AM   #140
Shotgun
I only wheel comps.
 
Shotgun's Avatar
 
Join Date: 12-06-06
Location: Howard City
Posts: 26,749
iTrader: (6)
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Default

At work, thats why I had time to look.
Shotgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > 4x4 Talk > Rig Builds and Pics

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:09 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright 2000 - 2012, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Page generated in 0.32806 seconds with 82 queries