Tea Party Leader Judson Phillips on restricting voting rights - Page 3 - Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest

Go Back   Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > Politics, Government, or Religion Chat
GL4x4 Live! GL4x4 Casino

Politics, Government, or Religion Chat Bring your flamesuit!

greatlakes4x4.com is the premier Great Lakes 4x4 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Search
View Poll Results: Do you agree with Judson Phillips that it makes sense to restrict voting rights to pr
Yes 7 41.18%
No 10 58.82%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old December 15th, 2010, 05:39 PM   #41
L4CX
Out for the Summer!
 
L4CX's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-16-07
Location: Hillsdale, MI
Posts: 4,993
iTrader: (5)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

I get why you guys think that PO's should only vote for raising taxes of that nature. I often have thought of that when I was voting. I usually don't vote yes because of it. I realize that I dont' pay the majority of those taxes. However, It's still not a representation of the whole community to just have the PO's vote. That's why it's called a Community.

I can only think of the recent Lansing area millage for CATA. I voted yes, I rent. However how many people that own a house need to take the bus? A majority of the community use the bus but a majority of the community rents as well (MSU, LCC, ETC). If I could pay taxes for that service, I would.

Just like our representatives are supposed to look out for the best of the community; so are we when we vote for things like this. If you have an issue with taking the brunt of a millage as a PO then you also have the Option to move or suggest other ideas like some how making renters pay for a millage like that.

What I don't get is why most of you have such a Self-Righteous attitude against renters. I think that most of us probably started in apartments or rented houses. Sure, let's not make them vote, but also don't forget where you started. Renting is the only option for some people (including me). My wife just graduated from College we have 50,000 + in student loans and she has no job. No banker, in thier right mind, would give us a Mortgage. I'm not complaining. I'm just saying that for some of us, it's not an option.

I am still part of this community though. I do contribute (I actually pay City taxes because I work for the schools) and Give back to the community.

So many of you talk about the responsibilities of being a PO but fail to also realize that part of that is the taxes. If you don't want them, Don't own property. You signed up for it. If there are a bunch of Dead beat College students that pass a millage to raise taxes so they can ride the bus and you don't like it; You have the right and ability to move. If you don't, it's your fault. Deal with it.
L4CX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old December 15th, 2010, 08:04 PM   #42
aber61
Senior Member
 
aber61's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-22-08
Location: Commerce Twp. Michigan
Posts: 6,127
iTrader: (3)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Default

Hey Scott you turning over a new leaf?
aber61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2010, 12:28 AM   #43
L4CX
Out for the Summer!
 
L4CX's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-16-07
Location: Hillsdale, MI
Posts: 4,993
iTrader: (5)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aber61 View Post
Hey Scott you turning over a new leaf?
How so? Just posting what I think.
L4CX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2010, 07:12 AM   #44
mikesova
My 4x4 is a Subaru.
 
mikesova's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Gladwin, MI
Posts: 7,810
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to mikesova
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by L4CX View Post
How so? Just posting what I think.
He usually loves what you say about religion, so when he finds out that you have differing ideas on other things, it blows his mind.
mikesova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2010, 03:42 PM   #45
aber61
Senior Member
 
aber61's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-22-08
Location: Commerce Twp. Michigan
Posts: 6,127
iTrader: (3)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by L4CX View Post
How so? Just posting what I think.
You.re just much more bolder than usual, but thats ok
aber61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2010, 04:36 PM   #46
L4CX
Out for the Summer!
 
L4CX's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-16-07
Location: Hillsdale, MI
Posts: 4,993
iTrader: (5)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesova View Post
He usually loves what you say about religion, so when he finds out that you have differing ideas on other things, it blows his mind.
We need a Mind blown smiley.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aber61 View Post
You.re just much more bolder than usual, but thats ok
I guess I was just in an Opionionated mood that day. It does bug me to hear people complain about property taxes being to high and not realizing that they choose to own property.

Don't get me wrong though, I'd love to own a house and land. Lots of Land. (Pun intended). Being in the position I'm in right now though I can't afford Property. Rent is enough as it is. That doesn't negate the fact that I, as a legal voting citizen, have the right to vote in any instance where the public is needed to decide.

Another thought to add is that people who rent are still consumers. Consumers spend money at local businesses that are taxed as well. Keep in mind I'm speaking from a MSU/East Lansing perspective. How much Revenue do you suppose college students (Primarily Renters/Non-Property owners) bring to the local economy? Do you really think towns like Mt. Pleasant or East Lansing would be anything but a blip on the map if it weren't for their perspective schools and the revenue those schools bring to the towns?
L4CX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2010, 05:07 PM   #47
mikesova
My 4x4 is a Subaru.
 
mikesova's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Gladwin, MI
Posts: 7,810
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to mikesova
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by L4CX View Post
W

Don't get me wrong though, I'd love to own a house and land. Lots of Land. (Pun intended). Being in the position I'm in right now though I can't afford Property. Rent is enough as it is. That doesn't negate the fact that I, as a legal voting citizen, have the right to vote in any instance where the public is needed to decide.
So would you say... the rent is too damn high?

mikesova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2010, 06:19 PM   #48
L4CX
Out for the Summer!
 
L4CX's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-16-07
Location: Hillsdale, MI
Posts: 4,993
iTrader: (5)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesova View Post
So would you say... the rent is too damn high?

I would say that but with less Mustache. Not because it's too much but because I don't deserve that caliber of awesome on my face.
L4CX is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > Politics, Government, or Religion Chat

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:35 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright 2000 - 2012, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Page generated in 0.19705 seconds with 46 queries