Mira's Jeep Cherokee Sport - Page 4 - Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest

Go Back   Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > 4x4 Talk > Rig Builds and Pics
GL4x4 Live! GL4x4 Casino

Rig Builds and Pics Introduce your rig or post a buildup here.

greatlakes4x4.com is the premier Great Lakes 4x4 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Search
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old December 8th, 2010, 08:39 PM   #61
1988JeepXj
XJ Aficianado
 
1988JeepXj's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-09-09
Location: Redford, Mi
Posts: 1,120
iTrader: (19)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to 1988JeepXj Send a message via Yahoo to 1988JeepXj Send a message via Skype™ to 1988JeepXj
Default

What are you going to coat the new floor with?

When I do mine in a couple weeks I think I'm going to paint the inside and out with high gloss Chassis Saver so dirt falls/washes off real easy, and I'll have a nice rust barrier. Also that way any of the existing floor that only has surface rust will be taken care of as well. I'm also probably going to line the the inside of the floor with some sort of sound dampener after the Chassis Saver, before I put the carpet back in, but I haven't made up my mind what type yet.
1988JeepXj is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old December 9th, 2010, 05:56 AM   #62
1x1_Speed_Craig
Simplify...
 
1x1_Speed_Craig's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-09-05
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 7,441
iTrader: (121)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1988JeepXj View Post
What are you going to coat the new floor with?
I plan on using Eastwood paint inside & underneath (I'm just saving to make the order). The underside will then be top-coated with 3-M Rubberized Undercoat, which I already have, and have used in the past (great stuff). I'm not sure if the interior will get a rubber mat, or some sort of bedliner when we're done. I prefer not to use carpet.

I have used POR-15 products quite a bit in the past, and it's durable stuff. However, it's very finicky to apply, and I don't take short cuts in the prep work. It's annoying enough that, after several projects/applications, I don't care to use it much anymore.

Craig
1x1_Speed_Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2010, 09:14 PM   #63
bigbchevy
missmrgreenagain
 
bigbchevy's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-15-07
Location: fenton /hartland mi
Posts: 19,455
iTrader: (167)
Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Default

looking good very cool project!
__________________
H.o.r.e
(mr.green)So you are calling CC a liar?? Not a nice way to treat your bitch.
tube bending and gear installs pm me for info! gears installed for $150 and up per axle.
bigbchevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2010, 09:16 PM   #64
curbdog17
Mini Van
 
curbdog17's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08-10-08
Location: 49415
Posts: 32,415
iTrader: (23)
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Default

Great Progress
I like the inspiration for your paint too.
curbdog17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2010, 09:31 PM   #65
CheapThrillB2
FAWK YEAH!!
 
CheapThrillB2's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-06-06
Location: Middleville, MI
Posts: 31,345
iTrader: (62)
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Default

Looks like your gonna have a real nice upgrade from your last jeep .........




Looks really good Mira
CheapThrillB2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2010, 09:38 PM   #66
1x1_Speed_Craig
Simplify...
 
1x1_Speed_Craig's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-09-05
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 7,441
iTrader: (121)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbchevy View Post
looking good very cool project!
Quote:
Originally Posted by curbdog17 View Post
Great Progress
I like the inspiration for your paint too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raerad View Post
Cool....Rock on Craig, Your daughter is gonna be styling......love your'e update's and I'm sorry I'm a newbe...I'll work on that.....
Thanks, gentlemen.

The Chiefblahblah problem has been somewhat solved - he's been added to both Mira's and my "Ignore" list. At least she won't see his garbage. It's truly sad that I'm trying to rationalize with an adult about being appropriate in a proud 5th-grader's build thread.

Back to what matters...the build.

We won't have time to work on it this weekend, as we'll be downstate celebrating Christmas with my family. The floorpans will be the primary focus over the next month, but we may take a break to get her welding her little Ballistic Fabrication skull on her D44 differential cover. She's itchy to get welding.


Craig
1x1_Speed_Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2010, 09:39 PM   #67
1x1_Speed_Craig
Simplify...
 
1x1_Speed_Craig's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-09-05
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 7,441
iTrader: (121)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheapThrillB2 View Post
Looks like your gonna have a real nice upgrade from your last jeep .........




Looks really good Mira

Still being used? Excellent! Mira will love to see the photo. Thanks for posting it.

Craig
1x1_Speed_Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2010, 10:53 PM   #68
prozak1986
Senior Member
 
prozak1986's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-09-09
Location: dearborn heights
Posts: 1,068
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

awsome job on the jeep craig and mira , keep up the good work , i have a few years before my kids are old enuff to do a build like this ,., dont let the bad posts stop you from building the jeep mira your doing a good job
prozak1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2010, 01:27 PM   #69
ckupq
Kitten I'm gonna eat you!
 
ckupq's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-07-05
Location: Cedar Rapids, IA 52402
Posts: 3,416
iTrader: (6)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1x1_Speed_Craig View Post
I plan on using Eastwood paint inside & underneath (I'm just saving to make the order). The underside will then be top-coated with 3-M Rubberized Undercoat, which I already have, and have used in the past (great stuff). I'm not sure if the interior will get a rubber mat, or some sort of bedliner when we're done. I prefer not to use carpet.

I have used POR-15 products quite a bit in the past, and it's durable stuff. However, it's very finicky to apply, and I don't take short cuts in the prep work. It's annoying enough that, after several projects/applications, I don't care to use it much anymore.

Craig

Are you using anything between the undercoat and the metal? I was going to undercoat my 99 and aside from getting rid of some surface rust I was wondering if I needed to paint the surface or if the undercoat would provide enough protection.
ckupq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2010, 06:16 PM   #70
1x1_Speed_Craig
Simplify...
 
1x1_Speed_Craig's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-09-05
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 7,441
iTrader: (121)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckupq View Post
Are you using anything between the undercoat and the metal? I was going to undercoat my 99 and aside from getting rid of some surface rust I was wondering if I needed to paint the surface or if the undercoat would provide enough protection.
We'll be painting it first, then undercoating. I definitely wouldn't just apply the undercoat over bare metal (just my $0.02).

Craig
1x1_Speed_Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2010, 06:43 PM   #71
curbdog17
Mini Van
 
curbdog17's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08-10-08
Location: 49415
Posts: 32,415
iTrader: (23)
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Default

So how many years before Mira gets a license?
Are you going to let her wheel it before then?
curbdog17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2010, 06:49 PM   #72
1x1_Speed_Craig
Simplify...
 
1x1_Speed_Craig's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-09-05
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 7,441
iTrader: (121)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by curbdog17 View Post
So how many years before Mira gets a license?
Are you going to let her wheel it before then?
She's 10 now, so she obviously has a while. I'm guessing it'll be done in 2-3 years...drivable before then, most likely.

We have 10 acres here - 5 acres lawn & 5 overgrowth/field out back. I'd like to develop some sort of mini course/play area out back down the road. She already drives my XJ around the back of the property (propped up on a couple hardcover books with the seat all the way up). She does great with it.

Craig
1x1_Speed_Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2010, 08:48 PM   #73
Shotgun
I only wheel comps.
 
Shotgun's Avatar
 
Join Date: 12-06-06
Location: Howard City
Posts: 26,876
iTrader: (6)
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Default

This looks sweet Craig, I'll have to stop by next time I'm in Cedar to check it out.
Shotgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2010, 12:35 PM   #74
skife
Senior Member
 
skife's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-12-07
Location: cedar springs mi
Posts: 5,119
iTrader: (5)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to skife Send a message via MSN to skife
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1x1_Speed_Craig View Post
She's 10 now, so she obviously has a while. I'm guessing it'll be done in 2-3 years...drivable before then, most likely.

We have 10 acres here - 5 acres lawn & 5 overgrowth/field out back. I'd like to develop some sort of mini course/play area out back down the road. She already drives my XJ around the back of the property (propped up on a couple hardcover books with the seat all the way up). She does great with it.

Craig
if you need some help building a mini course in your backyard, i could give you a hand.
skife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2010, 04:14 PM   #75
thatjeepguy
Weekend Warrior
 
thatjeepguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-09-09
Location: Sparta,MI
Posts: 690
iTrader: (21)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

hey craig, and mira
i finally looked at your build thread and can't tell you enough how awesome i think it is, its these kind of things that kids will remember doing for the rest of their life.

keep up the good work guys and keep the pictures coming :D

btw... did you end up selling my old D44 or are you still planning on using it on the Mira project, i know you ordered the ballistic fab cover (which would almost be a dead give-away, but i wasn't sure if you found another D44 or not)?????
thatjeepguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2010, 07:56 PM   #76
1x1_Speed_Craig
Simplify...
 
1x1_Speed_Craig's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-09-05
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 7,441
iTrader: (121)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by skife View Post
if you need some help building a mini course in your backyard, i could give you a hand.
Thanks Justin.


Quote:
Originally Posted by thatjeepguy View Post
hey craig, and mira
i finally looked at your build thread and can't tell you enough how awesome i think it is, its these kind of things that kids will remember doing for the rest of their life.

keep up the good work guys and keep the pictures coming :D

btw... did you end up selling my old D44 or are you still planning on using it on the Mira project, i know you ordered the ballistic fab cover (which would almost be a dead give-away, but i wasn't sure if you found another D44 or not)?????
Thanks Alex. We resold your D44, but kept the HD diff cover (Mira will weld the Ballistic skull to that cover). We bought another D44 from someone here on GL4x4 at the same time, but it was disassembled and 1/2 the price. Since we planned on going through it anyway, we kept the cheaper one.


Craig
1x1_Speed_Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2010, 04:56 PM   #77
1x1_Speed_Mira
I am the Ninja Fairy...
 
1x1_Speed_Mira's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-26-10
Location: Grand Rapids-ish, MI
Posts: 18
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

This is my AWESOME bumper I just got for Christmas today...IT ROCKS!!!
I'm SOOOOOOOO excited to paint it!!!




This is me with my AWESOME new battery holder with skulls on it - another part of my Christmas present...



-Mira
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mira_JCR_bumper.jpg
Views:	940
Size:	24.4 KB
ID:	72266   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mira_battery_holder.jpg
Views:	638
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	72267  
1x1_Speed_Mira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2010, 05:02 PM   #78
chadcooper55
expert jeep disassembler
 
chadcooper55's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08-28-08
Location: kent city mi
Posts: 8,033
iTrader: (20)
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Default

thats awesome mira, im jelous! i wish i got jeep parts for christmas. your project is looking awesome!
chadcooper55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2010, 05:17 PM   #79
1x1_Speed_Craig
Simplify...
 
1x1_Speed_Craig's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-09-05
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 7,441
iTrader: (121)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Default

BTW, do you see the pink bandana she's holding in the first picture? After the rest of the Christmas morning hoopla was done (before we went out to the garage), Mira dug the bandana out of her room, and said she had to be blindfolded before going outside. She wanted the "full effect" when her bumper was unveiled.

The battery box was a bonus gift...got a great Black Friday sale deal.

Mira was excited about both items, and also about how her floor pan repair is coming along.

It was a GREAT Christmas morning, especially the homemade gifts I got from my girls. There's no way you can top those types of gifts!

Craig
1x1_Speed_Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2010, 07:22 PM   #80
jared
Can't Worry About It
 
jared's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10-30-06
Location: Riverview Mi
Posts: 1,068
iTrader: (10)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

This looks like what I want my next Cherokee to look like. Not extreme just a nice daily with looks to kill.

I like the BBQ paint idea, but I'm hoping my tj stays green forever.
jared is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > 4x4 Talk > Rig Builds and Pics

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:29 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright 2000 - 2012, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Page generated in 0.33837 seconds with 82 queries