Go Back   Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > 4x4 Talk > Axle Tech
GL4x4 Live! GL4x4 Casino







Search
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old September 28th, 2010, 01:18 PM   #1
1x1_Speed_Craig
Simplify...
 
1x1_Speed_Craig's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-09-05
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 7,324
iTrader: (120)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Default TJ/LJ Dana 30 knuckle question

Are all TJ/LJ Dana 30 knuckles the same design/casting? I need a set idential to what's on my '05 LJ, and didn't know if there were changes between any of the model years.

Craig
1x1_Speed_Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2010, 11:06 AM   #2
1x1_Speed_Craig
Simplify...
 
1x1_Speed_Craig's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-09-05
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 7,324
iTrader: (120)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Default

Anyone?

Bueller? Bueller? Bueller?

1x1_Speed_Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2010, 11:10 AM   #3
JohnnyJ
Low Range Drifter
 
JohnnyJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-09-05
Location: Hartland, MI
Posts: 6,103
iTrader: (37)
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Default

I haven't checked personally, but Hollander interchange says they are from at least 97-2006.
__________________
Neither Skinny Nor Pretty DEAK Racing 4517 Ultra 4 Mod Class Rig
Surviving Project Car Hell - We have all been there
JohnnyJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2010, 11:14 AM   #4
1x1_Speed_Craig
Simplify...
 
1x1_Speed_Craig's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-09-05
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 7,324
iTrader: (120)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyJ View Post
I haven't checked personally, but Hollander interchange says they are from at least 97-2006.
Thanks. I tried car-part.com, but it didn't list knuckles as one of the components to query.

Can anyone else validate?
1x1_Speed_Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2010, 11:33 AM   #5
Jeeperz Creeperz
Senior Member
 
Jeeperz Creeperz's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-08-05
Location: Wyandotte, MI
Posts: 3,116
iTrader: (13)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Send a message via ICQ to Jeeperz Creeperz Send a message via AIM to Jeeperz Creeperz Send a message via MSN to Jeeperz Creeperz Send a message via Yahoo to Jeeperz Creeperz
Default

To the best of my knowledge they are the same. The only thing that changed during those years was the unit bearing and rotor (hat dimension).
Jeeperz Creeperz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2010, 11:43 AM   #6
1x1_Speed_Craig
Simplify...
 
1x1_Speed_Craig's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-09-05
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 7,324
iTrader: (120)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeperz Creeperz View Post
To the best of my knowledge they are the same. The only thing that changed during those years was the unit bearing and rotor (hat dimension).
That would definitely be a consideration, then, or are these changes independent of the knuckle design...I guess I need clarification. I want to keep it compatible with the 2005 model year. Do you have any other details, Kevin? Do you have a set at the shop that you'd be willing to sell?

Craig
1x1_Speed_Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2010, 12:00 PM   #7
Jeeperz Creeperz
Senior Member
 
Jeeperz Creeperz's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-08-05
Location: Wyandotte, MI
Posts: 3,116
iTrader: (13)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Send a message via ICQ to Jeeperz Creeperz Send a message via AIM to Jeeperz Creeperz Send a message via MSN to Jeeperz Creeperz Send a message via Yahoo to Jeeperz Creeperz
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1x1_Speed_Craig View Post
That would definitely be a consideration, then, or are these changes independent of the knuckle design...I guess I need clarification. I want to keep it compatible with the 2005 model year. Do you have any other details, Kevin? Do you have a set at the shop that you'd be willing to sell?

Craig
The rotor/bearing combination is independent of the knuckle. You can use any knuckle but you have to use the proper rotor/bearing combination for proper positioning of the rotor within the caliper bracket. In other words, if you use your existing rotors/bearings you'll be fine.

I don't have any knuckles, sorry. I think Ken at All Pro might have some.
Jeeperz Creeperz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2010, 12:03 PM   #8
1x1_Speed_Craig
Simplify...
 
1x1_Speed_Craig's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-09-05
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 7,324
iTrader: (120)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeperz Creeperz View Post
The rotor/bearing combination is independent of the knuckle. You can use any knuckle but you have to use the proper rotor/bearing combination for proper positioning of the rotor within the caliper bracket. In other words, if you use your existing rotors/bearings you'll be fine.

I don't have any knuckles, sorry. I think Ken at All Pro might have some.
Thanks for the quick reply. Since you don't have any available, I'll post a "Wanted" ad, and may shoot Ken a note, too (I'm not familiar with him or his shop, though).

Thanks again,
Craig
1x1_Speed_Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2010, 03:59 PM   #9
junk90xj
ALLPRO AUTO
 
junk90xj's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-06-05
Location: lansing
Posts: 4,549
iTrader: (47)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1x1_Speed_Craig View Post
Thanks for the quick reply. Since you don't have any available, I'll post a "Wanted" ad, and may shoot Ken a note, too (I'm not familiar with him or his shop, though).

Thanks again,
Craig
i dont have any, sorry.

we met only once so i dont doubt you dont remember me. i was with 84scrambler to get a tub from you i believe. ?? maybe it was from someone else though.
__________________
http://www.apalansing.com/
junk90xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2010, 04:10 PM   #10
1x1_Speed_Craig
Simplify...
 
1x1_Speed_Craig's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-09-05
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 7,324
iTrader: (120)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by junk90xj View Post
i dont have any, sorry.

we met only once so i dont doubt you dont remember me. i was with 84scrambler to get a tub from you i believe. ?? maybe it was from someone else though.
Thanks for the update, Ken. Yeah, I remember, but didn't make the connection (nor remember your name...sorry). Thank you again! I appreciate the response here.

Craig
1x1_Speed_Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2010, 01:12 PM   #11
1x1_Speed_Craig
Simplify...
 
1x1_Speed_Craig's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-09-05
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 7,324
iTrader: (120)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Default

Well, I rounded up a set of TJ Dana 30 knuckles semi-locally on the board here (haven't bought them yet, but plan to next Wednesday). My question is this - he had them on a Jeep running 37" tires. Is there anything to worry about in regards to stress on the knuckles given the large tire size? Does anyone have any experience with D30 knuckles failing for any reason?

Thanks,
Craig
1x1_Speed_Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2010, 01:52 PM   #12
Complete Off Road
Axles - Driveline Parts
 
Complete Off Road's Avatar
 
Join Date: 05-03-10
Location: Dubuque IA
Posts: 807
iTrader: (3)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1x1_Speed_Craig View Post
Well, I rounded up a set of TJ Dana 30 knuckles semi-locally on the board here (haven't bought them yet, but plan to next Wednesday). My question is this - he had them on a Jeep running 37" tires. Is there anything to worry about in regards to stress on the knuckles given the large tire size? Does anyone have any experience with D30 knuckles failing for any reason?

Thanks,
Craig
I have 37s on my TJ with a D30. The passenger side was replaced with the teraflex crossover steering knuckle, and I haven't had a problem with either one. It was like that when i bought the jeep...planning to upgrade axles but just haven't found that bag of $$ yet.

The inner Cs are another story, they have been trussed since they were starting to spread. Or in other words, the knuckle isn't the first thing to worry about.

And while I wheel it, I do so remembering I have a D30 up front. If you want to do hardcore wheeling it might be another story with the knuckle. A guy in our club who runs 38s or 39s had D60 knuckles develop a crack and eventually fail.

And another note about running 37s on a D30, there were 4 TJs on this year's Ultimate Adventure that did so. I bet they had a bunch of spare D30 parts along, but it can be done
__________________
Buy with confidence from
The #1 Authorized Dealer of Yukon Gear and Axle Off Road Products

563-583-5363
Andy@CompleteOffroad.com


Use code "GL4X4" at checkout for 5% off SSC branded products at CompleteOffroad.com

FREE SHIPPING ON ORDERS OVER $199*
Yukon, USA Standard, ARB, Warn, Currie, Bubba Rope, Master Pull, Trail Defense, and more
Authorized Yukon Dealer since 1998

Like us on Facebook!

*Free Shipping to USA on most items. Excludes all EATON products and oversized or heavy items. Excludes wholesale orders.

Last edited by Complete Off Road; October 6th, 2010 at 02:11 PM.
Complete Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2010, 02:51 PM   #13
brewmenn
Grumpy old man.
 
brewmenn's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Inkster, MI
Posts: 10,378
iTrader: (9)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

I have never heard of the knuckles failing due to stress. The knuckle issues I've seen ususally involve stripped caliper threads, grooves in the caliper sliding surface, and worn out tapers.
brewmenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2010, 08:43 AM   #14
redleg
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 08-01-07
Location: Luther/ Lansing/ Howell
Posts: 486
iTrader: (11)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Might compare ball joint part numbers and see if they match too. For example, The inner C-s on my XJ axle appear to match the inner C on the WJ, other than the WJ having a couple "nodes" cast at the the upper bend to beef them up slightly, but WJ uses heavier ball joints. Be careful pressing the ball joints out too. The upper C will flex and might get damaged if the ball joint doesn't cooperate. I also compared the inner C to a HP44 I have. The bottom half of the C appears compareable to the 44, but the upper half doesn't come close to the thickness of the 44. I plan to gusset the upper side of my inner C's on my axle build. Hope some of this is helpful for ya.
redleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2010, 09:26 AM   #15
1x1_Speed_Craig
Simplify...
 
1x1_Speed_Craig's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-09-05
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 7,324
iTrader: (120)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by redleg View Post
Might compare ball joint part numbers and see if they match too. For example, The inner C-s on my XJ axle appear to match the inner C on the WJ, other than the WJ having a couple "nodes" cast at the the upper bend to beef them up slightly, but WJ uses heavier ball joints. Be careful pressing the ball joints out too. The upper C will flex and might get damaged if the ball joint doesn't cooperate. I also compared the inner C to a HP44 I have. The bottom half of the C appears compareable to the 44, but the upper half doesn't come close to the thickness of the 44. I plan to gusset the upper side of my inner C's on my axle build. Hope some of this is helpful for ya.
Good info, redleg...thanks. I'll compare them within the next couple weeks.

Craig
1x1_Speed_Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > 4x4 Talk > Axle Tech
Tags
tj lj unlmited

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:06 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright 2000 - 2012, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Copyright 2005 - 2012 Cracker Enterprises - Powered by Linux
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=
Page generated in 0.22126 seconds with 42 queries