Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

Just Empty Every Pocket - The Project - IT LIVES!!

48K views 311 replies 50 participants last post by  TVJunkie 
#1 · (Edited)
Here are a few shots of my current project. It's a 86 XJ that came stock with 2.8 that was busted and a missing trans when I acquired it.

As it currently sits, it now has newer 4.0 XJ springs in the front. I have the small block mounted along with the 700R4 and 207 t-case. The t-case linkage is now finished and works great. Need to do the shift linkage to finish off the trans. I'm waiting on money so I can get the radiator and a boatload of small crap to wrap this up.

Here it is in all it's glory.

See less See more
#112 ·
Looking good

That's looking very nice JBS. Love the new bling, very cool. I ended up getting the ceramic coated headers from Novak. They look nice but were a bitch to install. I had to unbolt the motor mounts and lift it back up a few inches to get the collectors down through the rails. There is only about a half inch clearance on each side between the collector and the frame rail. Actually had to take one of the motor mount bolts back out. Should be no problem though. The Novak mounts have about six bolts holding it onto the rails, so one less shouldn't hurt. I am to the wiring stage now. :( I may need some tips from you on how to wire this thing. I screwed up and didn't label anything when I removed the 2.8, so I have a mess of wires and don't know where any of them go. Thought I could figure it out later, but now I'm having trouble.

#115 ·
Nothing new to report other than picking up stuff here and there for the time when I finally have enough ambition to work on this. I got bends for the front pipes, a Flowmaster Y-pipe and band type clamps for it so it can come apart if anything needs attention down the road.

Got a front hitch for it too, damn thing had zero recovery points on the front and instead of trying to engineer something, I found this. It has recovery points on it as well as a 2" receiver and the thing bolts on using existing holes minus 2 that need to be drilled. It will hide behind the air dam with a square cut out for the receiver to poke thru.

Snagged a set of leaves from a newer XJ with a decent add-a-leaf that I'm going to rob it from, just want a extra inch or so once those crap coil over shocks are gone.

I just don't feel like working on the damn thing. One of these days, I'll drag it to work and put it on the hoist and get everything done in a day. (Stranger things have happened)

Pics will come too.

I can has cheezeburger now?

#118 ·
What lights, headlights? I did nothing. As far as the dash, I'm using the stock senders for oil/water. My speedo is mechanical and that screws in my S-10 transfer case. With yours being computer controlled, it's hard to say what you'll need to get the dash to work.

#123 ·
No updates? i'm on version two of my sbc xj swap, i went with the old school motor like you guys the first time and the performance increase was awesome but the faults of the carb finally got to me, so we are getting ready to transplant a 96 LT1, should be even more impressive now!

#125 ·
THE BITCH LIVES!!!

Ran it for a hour or so making sure everything was filled up and working right. Jacked the rear up and let it run in gear to move things around. Drove it forward and back a couple times, didn't feel like moving a couple cars to get it outside but it did move under it's own power.

Took the wheel I got to match the rest to the sandblaster then painted it black. I scored a new tire that matches what I have on there now and those will go in place of the donut spare.

Just need to build the exhaust and put the front receiver on.............

#126 ·
Been awhile

Hey man, it's been awhile. Been watching your build JBS. Sounds like you have it close to road ready. Mine is close too. I need to build the exhaust, make a t-case linkage and I am in the process of hooking up an electic fan. Found a fan from a ford probe that fits great. I just cant figure out how to hook it up. I have tried every different combination of wiring but cant get the fan to run. The guy at the parts yard hooked it up to show me that it worked, but I did'nt see how he hooked it up. It has three prongs coming out of the conector. Can someone expain how I should wire this thing. Thanks

#127 ·
On the fan, if it's anything like the Taurus fan on my S-10 which is 3 wire one is ground and the other two were fan speeds; low-hi. The wires may ave a stripe or something on them to tell what goes where. Could look at a wiring diagram to see too.

I did drive the Heep around the lot last week, it drove and it stopped. It's a start.

Still have a list of crap to wrap up but after wrenching on everyone else's toys all day I don't even want to look at mine.

#129 ·
I'm waiting on some down time at work so I can do 3 weeks worth of cussing in a day on the rack there. I detest creepers and am spoiled with the hoists at work. It'll make building the exhaust much nicer. I can see things and routing then plan better than doing it on my back and screwing it up. I can get all my undercar stuff done then.

I'm in no hurry.

#136 ·
1- Build exhaust.
2- Install front receiver.
3- Freshen up the carb.
4- Swap the new JK rear shocks in.
5- Change the trans filter/gasket and put a new lock up solenoid in and wire it.
6- A few piddly things.

Give me a day with it at work and it should be set. Been busy and no down time, may take a vacation day to do this.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.