Go Back   Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > Politics, Government, or Religion Chat
GL4x4 Live! GL4x4 Casino

Politics, Government, or Religion Chat Bring your flamesuit!







Search
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old September 2nd, 2010, 03:40 PM   #1
FlatFender
Tap Tap Splat
 
FlatFender's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Raleigh NC
Posts: 15,684
iTrader: (1)
NC State of Emergency

I thought you all would appreciate this. Basically Hurricane Earl is just barely brushing the crystal coast right now. Nothing more than some strong wind gusts, and rain. Maybe a little storm surge along the outer banks through the night tonight. Our wonderful Governor Bev Perdue declared a state of emergency for the entire state, so in case Earl heads inland, or stalls over the Outer Banks there will be federal funding and resources in place to help with the clean up. This all sounds fine and good until you research a little further.

In NC, when a state of emergency is declared, all transportation of firearms is illegal. Essentially, our 2nd amendment rights have been stripped until Earl heads out to sea. Also, the Governor can halt all sale/transportation/production of alcohol during this time, but as of now, she has not done so.

Pretty scary stuff.
FlatFender is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2010, 03:43 PM   #2
greygoose
I'm the dude
 
greygoose's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-18-08
Location: New Baltimore / Presque Isle
Posts: 6,079
iTrader: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlatFender View Post
I thought you all would appreciate this. Basically Hurricane Earl is just barely brushing the crystal coast right now. Nothing more than some strong wind gusts, and rain. Maybe a little storm surge along the outer banks through the night tonight. Our wonderful Governor Bev Perdue declared a state of emergency for the entire state, so in case Earl heads inland, or stalls over the Outer Banks there will be federal funding and resources in place to help with the clean up. This all sounds fine and good until you research a little further.

In NC, when a state of emergency is declared, all transportation of firearms is illegal. Essentially, our 2nd amendment rights have been stripped until Earl heads out to sea. Also, the Governor can halt all sale/transportation/production of alcohol during this time, but as of now, she has not done so.

Pretty scary stuff.
Better make sure you have a stock pile of beer.
greygoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2010, 03:45 PM   #3
jeepinRRT
Senior Member
 
jeepinRRT's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-13-08
Location: Grand Rapids,MI
Posts: 3,621
iTrader: (9)
Interesting on the firearms thing, I wonder if the NRA is aware of that and would care to know, in light of what happened with Katrina and all.
jeepinRRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2010, 03:50 PM   #4
FlatFender
Tap Tap Splat
 
FlatFender's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Raleigh NC
Posts: 15,684
iTrader: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinRRT View Post
Interesting on the firearms thing, I wonder if the NRA is aware of that and would care to know, in light of what happened with Katrina and all.
Supposedly the SAF is fighting some lawsuits regarding this now.
FlatFender is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2010, 03:50 PM   #5
Ebs
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 11-06-05
Location: MI
Posts: 3,324
iTrader: (8)
Declaring an emergency before it's an emergency.

Is that like dialing 911 for an ambulance, right now, in case I get hurt today?
Ebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2010, 04:07 PM   #6
Fuel Fire Desire
Mall Crawler
 
Fuel Fire Desire's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10-01-08
Location: SE Michigan
Posts: 2,632
iTrader: (7)
I was in OBX during Alex (2003). It was declared a hurricane just a couple hours before it made landfall. And since I was in Avon, in the middle of the island, there was just no time to evacuate.

About 8-12 hours before landfall.




Plus and minuses to living in a house on stilts.....

+: the 4' storm surge wont flood your stuff, even if it washes your neighbors car down the street.

-: your house swings and bends. So much so you can see walls bow in and out like a diaphragm, and the ceiling fan swings like a pendulum.



We had the eye pass over us. It was very erie. One minute its blowing 100mph, the next its calm and sunny, with black clouds of death in every direction, then its blowing 100mph again but in the opposite direction.

Last edited by Fuel Fire Desire; September 2nd, 2010 at 04:23 PM.
Fuel Fire Desire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2010, 06:42 PM   #7
WSU JK
Senior Member
 
WSU JK's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-25-08
Location: Lowering the Per-Capita Income of Bloomfield Hills since 2009!
Posts: 2,482
iTrader: (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuel Fire Desire View Post
We had the eye pass over us. It was very erie. One minute its blowing 100mph, the next its calm and sunny, with black clouds of death in every direction, then its blowing 100mph again but in the opposite direction.
I went through about 6 or 7 different hurricanes during the time I lived in NC and that definitely is an erie feeling when the eye passes over. People tell you about it before hand but it's much more defined that you can imagine. We actually went outside and tried to play some football during the eye of Hurricane Isabelle in 2003 ...but that didn't really work out like we planned.
WSU JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2010, 07:57 PM   #8
Fuel Fire Desire
Mall Crawler
 
Fuel Fire Desire's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10-01-08
Location: SE Michigan
Posts: 2,632
iTrader: (7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WSU JK View Post
I went through about 6 or 7 different hurricanes during the time I lived in NC and that definitely is an erie feeling when the eye passes over. People tell you about it before hand but it's much more defined that you can imagine. We actually went outside and tried to play some football during the eye of Hurricane Isabelle in 2003 ...but that didn't really work out like we planned.


IIRC, we had about 30 minutes or so of eye, maybe a bit less. It was just enough time to secure items that decided to leave our yard. We were also smart enough to move our vehicle to higher ground, as the ocean side of the banks have a nice seawall, but the lagoon side did not. Sure enough, when the winds changed direction after the eye passes, it drug 4' of water onto the island from the lagoon.
Fuel Fire Desire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2010, 08:52 AM   #9
FlatFender
Tap Tap Splat
 
FlatFender's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Raleigh NC
Posts: 15,684
iTrader: (1)
Lol. The farthest points of Eastern NC got a WHOPPING 2-4" of rain.
FlatFender is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2010, 09:53 AM   #10
ScOoTeR
GLFWDA Member #07520
 
ScOoTeR's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-09-05
Location: Howell
Posts: 21,222
iTrader: (35)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuel Fire Desire View Post
IIRC, we had about 30 minutes or so of aye, maybe a bit less.
I've experienced something similar, except it was when a pirate raided my booty.
ScOoTeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > Politics, Government, or Religion Chat
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:16 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright 2000 - 2012, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2005 - 2012 Cracker Enterprises - Powered by Linux
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=
Page generated in 0.11950 seconds with 32 queries