Go Back   Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > The Pub
GL4x4 Live! GL4x4 Casino

The Pub A friendly forum where everybody is nice, and will answer any questions you have about life.







Search
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old June 3rd, 2010, 09:05 AM   #41
SHARPMACHINE
F-U-CANCER!!!
 
SHARPMACHINE's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-29-06
Location: MONTAGUE MI (BY THE SAND BOX)
Posts: 4,470
iTrader: (25)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScOoTeR View Post
Ford has a history of changing component specs at the last minute and bullying suppliers to attempt the impossible. I wouldn't be surprised if the failures are driven by Ford's last-minute cost-cutting.

In a similar fashion - that was what was the source for the 6.0L injector problems right out of the gate. They demanded "Supplier A" cut costs / size while maintaining functionality; "Supplier A" said: "We can't." "Supplier B" said: "WE CAN! WE CAN!" and Ford went with them.

The rest is (ugly) history.
A'hhh damn good point about bullying. I see it all the time in the aerospace world as well.
Todays airplanes are built on low bids that are then online "auctioned" to get the lowest price on tooling and machining. Does that make everyone comffy getting on a comercial jet?
__________________
Hay, look at me... I have a signature.....



RIP FULLSIZE4LIFE
SHARPMACHINE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2010, 09:32 AM   #42
ajmorell
Senior Member
 
ajmorell's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01-22-07
Location: Oshkosh, WI
Posts: 3,491
iTrader: (16)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to ajmorell
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHARPMACHINE View Post
A'hhh damn good point about bullying. I see it all the time in the aerospace world as well.
Todays airplanes are built on low bids that are then online "auctioned" to get the lowest price on tooling and machining. Does that make everyone comffy getting on a comercial jet?
That's pretty much how all giant corporations work. The lowest bidder gets the job.
ajmorell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2010, 10:02 AM   #43
SinisterX
I Drank WHAT!
 
SinisterX's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01-14-07
Location: Owosso
Posts: 683
iTrader: (8)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to SinisterX
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScOoTeR View Post
...I'm off to check our strategy to see WTF we do in a similar situation - this is a good example of the wrong way to do a "reduced power" mode.
The new D-max uses a multi-step warning system for DEF

1)Message Center - Tone
2)Message Center - Tone - OnStar
3)Speed Limit to 55mph on key cycle
4)Speed Limit to 4mph on key cycle

Subject to change depending on failure.
SinisterX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2010, 06:53 AM   #44
SHARPMACHINE
F-U-CANCER!!!
 
SHARPMACHINE's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-29-06
Location: MONTAGUE MI (BY THE SAND BOX)
Posts: 4,470
iTrader: (25)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Updates, anyone driven the new ford yet??
__________________
Hay, look at me... I have a signature.....



RIP FULLSIZE4LIFE
SHARPMACHINE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2010, 07:14 AM   #45
Paperman
Senior Member
 
Paperman's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-15-08
Location: Scottville MI
Posts: 264
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Nice unit. Pulling 35' of new camper ( truck purchased for new deliveries) it really pulls great. Go to pass and really moves. You can feel the truck accelerate when passing not just see the speedo move but feel it. Better milage than the 6.4 by about 3 GPM with like trailers. Front axle build date was 5-27-10 picked truck up from dealer in MI 6-4-10. They dont get much newer than that.
Paperman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2010, 09:19 AM   #46
ScOoTeR
hoo dat. wat.
 
ScOoTeR's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-09-05
Location: Howell
Posts: 21,398
iTrader: (35)
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paperman View Post
Better milage than the 6.4 by about 3 GPM with like trailers.
That trailer filled with fuel!?
__________________
@clarkstoncracker
ScOoTeR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2010, 09:50 AM   #47
greygoose
I'm the dude
 
greygoose's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-18-08
Location: New Baltimore / Presque Isle
Posts: 6,081
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paperman View Post
Nice unit. Pulling 35' of new camper ( truck purchased for new deliveries) it really pulls great. Go to pass and really moves. You can feel the truck accelerate when passing not just see the speedo move but feel it. Better milage than the 6.4 by about 3 GPM with like trailers. Front axle build date was 5-27-10 picked truck up from dealer in MI 6-4-10. They dont get much newer than that.
3mpg increase? What was your average fuel economy?
greygoose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2010, 10:14 AM   #48
masterbeatty
Senior Member
 
masterbeatty's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-04-08
Location: my house
Posts: 4,144
iTrader: (17)
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHARPMACHINE View Post
Updates, anyone driven the new ford yet??
i went and test drove a new one. 65,000 dollars holy crap, i was not real impressed with it. it has alot of electronics i think are unnecessary but that was just the option package. it was so quiet( i dont like quiet) and smooth, i felt like i was in a mini van. it handled real nice for a crew cab long bed 4wd fully loaded truck. and the thing was quick, i turned the traction control off and it woulld just walk the ass end all over the place. i didnt really like the manual shift program it seemed a little to delayed to me. overall if i were to buy one id get the stripped down package with no hill decent warning, and navigation.
masterbeatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2010, 10:27 AM   #49
Haggar
Covered in mud...
 
Haggar's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-06-05
Location: Oxford, MI
Posts: 17,555
iTrader: (54)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterbeatty View Post
i was not real impressed with it. it has alot of electronics i think are unnecessary but that was just the option package. it was so quiet( i dont like quiet) and smooth, i felt like i was in a mini van..
This is what cracks me up about people on this site.
Haggar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2010, 10:31 AM   #50
masterbeatty
Senior Member
 
masterbeatty's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-04-08
Location: my house
Posts: 4,144
iTrader: (17)
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Default

what? i think a truck should be a truck and car features should stay in a car? i hate how the majority of people that drive truck go back and forth to work and to the store to shop. they dont do what the truck is intended to do but yet they bitch it rides to rough, its to loud, i dont like the seat, so now we have watered down trucks that ride like cars. im sorry that my opinion offends you. and by the way who are you again??
masterbeatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2010, 10:40 AM   #51
xj4life
Senior Member
 
xj4life's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-09-05
Location: LaPorte, IN
Posts: 7,507
iTrader: (15)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

i'd rather have a loud truck as well. diesels should never be quiet.
__________________
This is my Jeep. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My Jeep is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I master my life. My Jeep, without me, is useless. Without my Jeep, I am useless.
xj4life is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2010, 10:45 AM   #52
masterbeatty
Senior Member
 
masterbeatty's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-04-08
Location: my house
Posts: 4,144
iTrader: (17)
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Default

its not even so much about the loud. why do i need to know how many degrees my front wheels are turned? why does a computer need to tell me to slow down when going down hill, why do i care what the computer says? im also the same that thinks, abs and traction control are for people that dont pay attention and it compensates for there lack of driving ability.
masterbeatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2010, 11:00 AM   #53
Haggar
Covered in mud...
 
Haggar's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-06-05
Location: Oxford, MI
Posts: 17,555
iTrader: (54)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterbeatty View Post
what? i think a truck should be a truck and car features should stay in a car? i hate how the majority of people that drive truck go back and forth to work and to the store to shop. they dont do what the truck is intended to do but yet they bitch it rides to rough, its to loud, i dont like the seat, so now we have watered down trucks that ride like cars. im sorry that my opinion offends you. and by the way who are you again??
Ahh, but who makes your interpretation of what a truck is *supposed* to be into the rule?

Should it ride rough just to ride rough? No way, if it can ride nice without sacrificing handling and load capacity, why shouldn't it? Are you honestly telling me that you put it next to a 1990 F250 and think the suspension is less capable? And the seat is too comfortable for you? And you miss the body flex and tire noise?

Should it be loud for loud's sake? Most people do like to be able to order at the drivethru without shutting off the engine.

You may not believe it, but the majority of the target audience want those features. Honestly, go get that truck, with integrated brake controller, back up camera, drive it for a year, and then tell me you want those 'durn fancy 'lectronics" removed from your truck.

Lets get rid of that sync system and install an AM radio. Lets make you get out and manually adjust your big ass mirrors that are making little rust streaks down your doors. Make sure you put tape over your display thats showing you things like trans temp. You can buy an aftermarket gag if you really wanted to know that.

So, what you are saying is that you should buy a $50,000 truck for working, AND another car for driving to the store?

I think the general public also has no idea how many of the things they bitch about are federally mandated requirements, from the tire pressure to the stability to the DPF to the number of square millimeters in the high beam indicator.

who am I? awww don't worry about it...
Haggar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2010, 11:01 AM   #54
Haggar
Covered in mud...
 
Haggar's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-06-05
Location: Oxford, MI
Posts: 17,555
iTrader: (54)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterbeatty View Post
im also the same that thinks, abs and traction control are for people that dont pay attention and it compensates for there lack of driving ability.
That right there says you've never had a physics course and don't understand the laws of the universe you live in...
Haggar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2010, 11:09 AM   #55
greygoose
I'm the dude
 
greygoose's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-18-08
Location: New Baltimore / Presque Isle
Posts: 6,081
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Thank you Hag for saving me the trouble of typing all that. I completely agree with you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggar View Post
Ahh, but who makes your interpretation of what a truck is *supposed* to be into the rule?

Should it ride rough just to ride rough? No way, if it can ride nice without sacrificing handling and load capacity, why shouldn't it? Are you honestly telling me that you put it next to a 1990 F250 and think the suspension is less capable? And the seat is too comfortable for you? And you miss the body flex and tire noise?

Should it be loud for loud's sake? Most people do like to be able to order at the drivethru without shutting off the engine.

You may not believe it, but the majority of the target audience want those features. Honestly, go get that truck, with integrated brake controller, back up camera, drive it for a year, and then tell me you want those 'durn fancy 'lectronics" removed from your truck.

Lets get rid of that sync system and install an AM radio. Lets make you get out and manually adjust your big ass mirrors that are making little rust streaks down your doors. Make sure you put tape over your display thats showing you things like trans temp. You can buy an aftermarket gag if you really wanted to know that.

So, what you are saying is that you should buy a $50,000 truck for working, AND another car for driving to the store?

I think the general public also has no idea how many of the things they bitch about are federally mandated requirements, from the tire pressure to the stability to the DPF to the number of square millimeters in the high beam indicator.

who am I? awww don't worry about it...
greygoose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2010, 11:11 AM   #56
masterbeatty
Senior Member
 
masterbeatty's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-04-08
Location: my house
Posts: 4,144
iTrader: (17)
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Default

the person that buys it? for 65,000 i want to be happy
i personally like my truck to ride a little rougher.
i drive a straight piped 7.3 i dont shut it off
keep the back up camera and ill put my own brake controler in.
i dont have anything to sync and id put my own aftermarket radio in anywase.
and i do perfer mech gauges mounted on a pillar compared to a electric gauge
i would never buy a 50,000 dollar truck like i said id buy the work version and make it what i want it to be and be quite happy driving down the road wherever i wanted in it with my rubber floor mats and cloth seats.
and fyi i drive a 78 bronco so tire noise, body flex, seats none of that really bothers me. i understand there federally mandated, but only because enough people drive like idiots that they need to bandade morons on the road with stability control and tranction control and abs. and im not worried about it, but i think if youd like to discuss this further send me a pm id be glad to anwser it.
masterbeatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2010, 11:13 AM   #57
masterbeatty
Senior Member
 
masterbeatty's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-04-08
Location: my house
Posts: 4,144
iTrader: (17)
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggar View Post
That right there says you've never had a physics course and don't understand the laws of the universe you live in...
no i completly understand lets make the world idiot proof. its not just cars or trucks its everywhere.
masterbeatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2010, 11:15 AM   #58
Haggar
Covered in mud...
 
Haggar's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-06-05
Location: Oxford, MI
Posts: 17,555
iTrader: (54)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterbeatty View Post
no i completly understand lets make the world idiot proof. its not just cars or trucks its everywhere.
See, you are thinking those systems are to be idiot proof. No, they make your car or truck perform better than you ever could do yourself. That is scientific fact.
Haggar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2010, 11:22 AM   #59
Haggar
Covered in mud...
 
Haggar's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-06-05
Location: Oxford, MI
Posts: 17,555
iTrader: (54)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterbeatty View Post
the person that buys it? for 65,000 i want to be happy
i personally like my truck to ride a little rougher.
i drive a straight piped 7.3 i dont shut it off
keep the back up camera and ill put my own brake controler in.
i dont have anything to sync and id put my own aftermarket radio in anywase.
and i do perfer mech gauges mounted on a pillar compared to a electric gauge
i would never buy a 50,000 dollar truck like i said id buy the work version and make it what i want it to be and be quite happy driving down the road wherever i wanted in it with my rubber floor mats and cloth seats.
and fyi i drive a 78 bronco so tire noise, body flex, seats none of that really bothers me. i understand there federally mandated, but only because enough people drive like idiots that they need to bandade morons on the road with stability control and tranction control and abs. and im not worried about it, but i think if youd like to discuss this further send me a pm id be glad to anwser it.
This is my point. This truck isn't designed for you in mind. You already have old PSDs available, so, buy one of those.

Most people want those nice new things. I know people don't like to apy for stuff, and are always skeptical of anything new, but some of that stuff is really really nice to have. A facotry brake controller, that ties into the ABS, sway control, etc, works soooooooo much better than even the best aftermarket brake controllers.


Look at OTR truckers. Do they drive a beat up old Autocar Construcktor? No, they have nice comfortable truck that has lots and lots of electronics and nice stuff in there.

Right now, I'm seeing every quote rolling in across the industry is pushing for more and more of these features. Thats what sells vehicles these days.
Haggar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2010, 11:43 AM   #60
Paperman
Senior Member
 
Paperman's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-15-08
Location: Scottville MI
Posts: 264
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by greygoose View Post
3mpg increase? What was your average fuel economy?
Sitting around 14 loaded. Truck has 2200 miles on it and is headed to Canada now with trailer in tow. I will report back when it hits US soil with the latest fuel report.
Paperman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > The Pub
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:23 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright 2000 - 2012, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Copyright 2005 - 2012 Cracker Enterprises - Powered by Linux
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=
Page generated in 0.24394 seconds with 52 queries