gas vs diesel trans - Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest

Go Back   Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > 4x4 Talk > Ford Tech
GL4x4 Live! GL4x4 Casino

greatlakes4x4.com is the premier Great Lakes 4x4 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Search
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old April 12th, 2010, 11:10 AM   #1
jmdzuk
Senior Member
 
jmdzuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-20-05
Location: Lowell MI
Posts: 2,574
iTrader: (13)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default gas vs diesel trans

Is a Gas e40d the same as a diesel?
jmdzuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old April 12th, 2010, 11:18 AM   #2
Tranny Tom
Switcheroo
 
Tranny Tom's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10-13-06
Location: Southfield
Posts: 3,824
iTrader: (55)
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmdzuk View Post
Is a Gas e40d the same as a diesel?
no.

*edit

I'll explain what the differences are:

Bell housings

Forward Drum.... Diesels are splined all the way through, and use more clutches

Diesels have more overdrive clutches.

Valve body calibrations.

F450/550 autos have 6 pinion steel planets.

just to name a few.....

Last edited by Tranny Tom; April 12th, 2010 at 11:25 AM.
Tranny Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2010, 03:32 PM   #3
jmdzuk
Senior Member
 
jmdzuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-20-05
Location: Lowell MI
Posts: 2,574
iTrader: (13)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tranny Tom View Post
no.

*edit

I'll explain what the differences are:

Bell housings

Forward Drum.... Diesels are splined all the way through, and use more clutches

Diesels have more overdrive clutches.

Valve body calibrations.

F450/550 autos have 6 pinion steel planets.

just to name a few.....
This is true for the early 90s as well 460 gas to 7.3 PS
jmdzuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2010, 08:38 PM   #4
Tranny Tom
Switcheroo
 
Tranny Tom's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10-13-06
Location: Southfield
Posts: 3,824
iTrader: (55)
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmdzuk View Post
This is true for the early 90s as well 460 gas to 7.3 PS
is this a question? What are trying to do? Put a 460 e40d behind a 7.3?

460 and the 7.3l have different bell housings.

Last edited by Tranny Tom; April 12th, 2010 at 08:52 PM.
Tranny Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2010, 09:06 PM   #5
jmdzuk
Senior Member
 
jmdzuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-20-05
Location: Lowell MI
Posts: 2,574
iTrader: (13)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tranny Tom View Post
is this a question? What are trying to do? Put a 460 e40d behind a 7.3?

460 and the 7.3l have different bell housings.
yes, and thank you. I have a 7.3 2 wd and i am collecting parts to make it 4wd maybe.....
Thanks Jeff
jmdzuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2010, 09:16 PM   #6
Tranny Tom
Switcheroo
 
Tranny Tom's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10-13-06
Location: Southfield
Posts: 3,824
iTrader: (55)
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmdzuk View Post
yes, and thank you. I have a 7.3 2 wd and i am collecting parts to make it 4wd maybe.....
Thanks Jeff
So, you need to make the 7.3 trans a 4x4? You can use any 4x4 output shaft and tail housing from any E40D, those parts are all the same.
Tranny Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2010, 09:46 PM   #7
jmdzuk
Senior Member
 
jmdzuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-20-05
Location: Lowell MI
Posts: 2,574
iTrader: (13)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tranny Tom View Post
So, you need to make the 7.3 trans a 4x4? You can use any 4x4 output shaft and tail housing from any E40D, those parts are all the same.
Really..
I have a freinds dad that needs a 2wd trans for his 460.We were going to trade,but that wont work .But what you are telling me I can swap parts and keep my good trans.
What all is involved in the swap? do you have to pull the trans completely apart? or is it just the tail end?

Thanks Jeff
jmdzuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2010, 06:16 AM   #8
Tranny Tom
Switcheroo
 
Tranny Tom's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10-13-06
Location: Southfield
Posts: 3,824
iTrader: (55)
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmdzuk View Post
Really..
I have a freinds dad that needs a 2wd trans for his 460.We were going to trade,but that wont work .But what you are telling me I can swap parts and keep my good trans.
What all is involved in the swap? do you have to pull the trans completely apart? or is it just the tail end?

Thanks Jeff
Unfortunately yes it has to come apart. Valve body and all.
Tranny Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2010, 07:57 PM   #9
jmdzuk
Senior Member
 
jmdzuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-20-05
Location: Lowell MI
Posts: 2,574
iTrader: (13)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

well i bought a complete donar truck. 97 crew cab 4x4 I should be able to swap over everything much easier now:-)
jmdzuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > 4x4 Talk > Ford Tech

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:41 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright 2000 - 2012, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Page generated in 0.18678 seconds with 48 queries