Control Arm Bushing Help - Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest

Go Back   Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > 4x4 Talk > General Tech
GL4x4 Live! GL4x4 Casino

greatlakes4x4.com is the premier Great Lakes 4x4 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Search
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old March 22nd, 2010, 01:39 PM   #1
steelhd1
Hypnotized
 
steelhd1's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01-04-09
Location: Clarkston, MI
Posts: 1,447
iTrader: (28)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Question Control Arm Bushing Help

I bought some short adjustable arms of a board member and installed them. Afterwords there was some loud pop's and clanks so I pulled the upper and lower front off. The metal sleeve is bigger that the 3/8" factory bolts, and the arms call for the factory hardware.

To make things short, I bought some Moog bushings to replace the ones in there. The problem is I can't press the new one with the metal sleeves into the arms. Only had a 2 ton H press for the job.

Can anyone help me out getting the new bushings pressed in? Also, what are the ramifications of taking all arms out to have this done? Any other advise is appreciated!

TIA
steelhd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old March 22nd, 2010, 01:42 PM   #2
jeepnxj96
Senior Member
 
jeepnxj96's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10-16-07
Location: Allegan,Mi
Posts: 2,981
iTrader: (10)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

uuuhhhh factory moog bushings probably will not fit in any aftermarket arms.
jeepnxj96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2010, 01:43 PM   #3
ajmorell
Senior Member
 
ajmorell's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01-22-07
Location: Oshkosh, WI
Posts: 3,520
iTrader: (16)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to ajmorell
Default

Find out what size bolt you need and drill out the holes in your brackets to match the sleeve diameter
ajmorell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2010, 01:44 PM   #4
steelhd1
Hypnotized
 
steelhd1's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01-04-09
Location: Clarkston, MI
Posts: 1,447
iTrader: (28)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepnxj96 View Post
uuuhhhh factory moog bushings probably will not fit in any aftermarket arms.
The arms call for factory sized bushings and look the same.
steelhd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2010, 01:46 PM   #5
steelhd1
Hypnotized
 
steelhd1's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01-04-09
Location: Clarkston, MI
Posts: 1,447
iTrader: (28)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmorell View Post
Find out what size bolt you need and drill out the holes in your brackets to match the sleeve diameter
Was considering this but wanted to replace the bushings with new ones since I already have them. And retain the stock bolt size for when the are replaced again.

Last edited by steelhd1; March 22nd, 2010 at 01:55 PM.
steelhd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2010, 01:55 PM   #6
jeepnxj96
Senior Member
 
jeepnxj96's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10-16-07
Location: Allegan,Mi
Posts: 2,981
iTrader: (10)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelhd1 View Post
The arms call for factory sized bushings and look the same.
ahhhh I see, usually all you need is an impact and ball joint press. while pressing the bushing in try tapping on the bushing housing, much in the same way you would do when doing ball joints or u-joints, helps release tension caused by pressing them in or out
jeepnxj96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2010, 01:57 PM   #7
steelhd1
Hypnotized
 
steelhd1's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01-04-09
Location: Clarkston, MI
Posts: 1,447
iTrader: (28)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepnxj96 View Post
ahhhh I see, usually all you need is an impact and ball joint press. while pressing the bushing in try tapping on the bushing housing, much in the same way you would do when doing ball joints or u-joints, helps release tension caused by pressing them in or out
Will give a try. Do you think the press will be good enough, or should I look for a more qualified candidate?
steelhd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2010, 02:00 PM   #8
jeepnxj96
Senior Member
 
jeepnxj96's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10-16-07
Location: Allegan,Mi
Posts: 2,981
iTrader: (10)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelhd1 View Post
Will give a try. Do you think the press will be good enough, or should I look for a more qualified candidate?

should work fine....you pressed them out with it right???? measure the ID of the arm and the OD of the bushing, I have had moog ball joints come out of the box with ~.005 interferance with out the knurling for deformation.......obviosly will not work well. just a thought, not sure if moog is still made in the U.S. or not
jeepnxj96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2010, 02:03 PM   #9
Bc1980
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 05-08-09
Location: Jenison Michigan
Posts: 563
iTrader: (3)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

My press bushing experiences

I have used dawn dishsoap,and a ball joint press/shop press.

Ive on ocasion had to slightly bevel bushing edge with a grinder and then press in.
Bc1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2010, 02:05 PM   #10
steelhd1
Hypnotized
 
steelhd1's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01-04-09
Location: Clarkston, MI
Posts: 1,447
iTrader: (28)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepnxj96 View Post
should work fine....you pressed them out with it right???? measure the ID of the arm and the OD of the bushing, I have had moog ball joints come out of the box with ~.005 interferance with out the knurling for deformation.......obviosly will not work well. just a thought, not sure if moog is still made in the U.S. or not
I had to pound the SOB's out along the slight flange to get then out (pia). They went in fine before hitting the little ridge at the top of the bushing. I looked at the oem's and they had the same type ridge?

I will have to measure both as suggested...
steelhd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2010, 02:09 PM   #11
jeepnxj96
Senior Member
 
jeepnxj96's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10-16-07
Location: Allegan,Mi
Posts: 2,981
iTrader: (10)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

if you weren't so far away I would say bring the over and I would install the for ya, but you probably don't want to make that trip LOL
jeepnxj96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2010, 02:12 PM   #12
steelhd1
Hypnotized
 
steelhd1's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01-04-09
Location: Clarkston, MI
Posts: 1,447
iTrader: (28)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepnxj96 View Post
if you weren't so far away I would say bring the over and I would install the for ya, but you probably don't want to make that trip LOL
Haha Thanks for the offer but it is quite a drive. I will figure it out somehow
steelhd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2010, 02:31 PM   #13
fsumotorhead
N8KVB
 
fsumotorhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10-24-06
Location: Flat Rock, MI
Posts: 4,193
iTrader: (34)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

get a cooler full of dry ice and let the bushings cold soak over night, they will damn near fall in

i usually get dry ice from meijer
fsumotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2010, 02:33 PM   #14
steelhd1
Hypnotized
 
steelhd1's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01-04-09
Location: Clarkston, MI
Posts: 1,447
iTrader: (28)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsumotorhead View Post
get a cooler full of dry ice and let the bushings cold soak over night, they will damn near fall in

i usually get dry ice from meijer
That was another thought, thanks for the help!
steelhd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > 4x4 Talk > General Tech

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:39 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright 2000 - 2012, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Page generated in 0.21578 seconds with 63 queries