Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

Article on Open Carry in BC Enquirer

2K views 23 replies 17 participants last post by  bj house 
#1 ·
#23 ·
This article reminds me of the guy who got arrested in GH at the 2009(?) Coast Guard for open carry. He sued for IIRC $500,000 and was awarded $250,000 or something like that.

Agreed

So wait, I could go get a gun, Strap it to my side and go out into public? No CPL or anything? Not saying I would, because I don't want that responsibility. That and Any where I go is a no-Go zone for Guns. I work at Two schools and Often visit friends at MSU.

Let me be very clear (because I don't want this to turn into a flame fest) that if I ever got a Gun to carry I would get a CPL and make sure I was comfortable with it before it even went out into public.....I just think this law is kind of unique.
Yup, so long as you don't carry it into No-Gun zones (schools, federal banks, etc.)

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I was told (from a State Cop) the reason its legal is not because there is a law saying you can open carry, but there is no law that says you can't.

So... can you open carry in a campground? I also take it ill need a ccw to carry while on my quad?
I think it would depend on the campground (private or state).

As for your quad, it depends on where you are riding it. Private Property - you don't need a CCW.

The only problem with OC is making sure it is OC. The holster the gentleman in the pic is wearing could be a problem. As soon as he puts his coat on it could become covered and then the problem starts. If its covered by your arm or partial covered by clothing it could be called CC. I support their effort but CC is better.
You make a good point, but the guy in the article has his CPL, so even if the gun did get covered by his coat or whatever, he is still legal.

IMO that is the way to go. I would still get a CPL if I wanted to carry openly.

#4 ·
So wait, I could go get a gun, Strap it to my side and go out into public? No CPL or anything? Not saying I would, because I don't want that responsibility. That and Any where I go is a no-Go zone for Guns. I work at Two schools and Often visit friends at MSU.

Let me be very clear (because I don't want this to turn into a flame fest) that if I ever got a Gun to carry I would get a CPL and make sure I was comfortable with it before it even went out into public.....I just think this law is kind of unique.

#5 ·
"I don't advocate for open carry and I don't have anything against the group, who are trying to make it more socially acceptable, but if you open carry, you have to be prepared to deal with the police when they arrive. They have to respond and you are going to be viewed with suspicion. You may have the right to do it, but it is not always the right thing to do."
I'm all for open carry. But that quote made me think a little.

#9 ·
Where do you usually carry? I feel like if you carry around a small town it wouldn't be that big of a deal, but if you are more in a city environment you might call attention to yourself. I've never open carried or seen somebody open carry, so I've never seen what kind of attention it brings.

#12 ·
http://www.michiganopencarry.org/

That has all the info and links to the law that one could want.

I have open carried on select occasions as I do not have a CPL, haven't had an issue but wouldn't expect it at my buddies cigar shop. While in there smoking there were quite a few customers to come and go, a few stopped and asked about my GLOCK 23 and inquired if it was legal to OC. I explained to them the law and the Attorney Generals (Granholm at the time) opinion on OC.

I OC rarely now that it is cold out and wearing a long jacket the gun could momentarily be covered by said jacket and then I would be in violation of CCW laws. And a felony is not something I wish to mess with. However once I have my CPL, soon I hope, I will exclusively OC.

I advocate OCing wherever you are, its your right and it is my belief that a right not exercised is a right lost.

Also check out http://www.migunowners.org/ there is a forum on there dedicated to OC. It has a lot of good experiences and bad ones. There is a lot to learn from these as to how to handle yourself if put in a situation involving harassment from the police. It is illegal for any LEO to stop or detain you for the sole fact that you are carrying a gun on your hip as long as it is in plain sight and not concealed.

The majority of issues reported have been from small towns such as St. Helen and Jackson. Several of the local LEOs there are unaware of MI preemption laws that make it illegal to local municipalities to have laws and ordinances stronger than MI gun laws. They are sadly uninformed of the actual laws and like to harass people.

#17 ·
The only problem with OC is making sure it is OC. The holster the gentleman in the pic is wearing could be a problem. As soon as he puts his coat on it could become covered and then the problem starts. If its covered by your arm or partial covered by clothing it could be called CC. I support their effort but CC is better.

#19 · (Edited)
I have attached a spreadsheet that shows where you can and cannot carry based on if you have a CPL (concealed pistol license) or not. Realize this is NOT all inclusive, but more of a guide. If you choose to open carry I here is the link to MCL 28.425o that covers Michigan gun laws in detail.

http://legislature.mi.gov/doc.aspx?mcl-28-425o

Also, here is the link to MCL 123.1102 that states no local government can enact or enforce any firearm laws that preempt State law.

http://legislature.mi.gov/doc.aspx?mcl-123-1102

And finally, for further information on open carry and citizens rights refer to this newsletter published by the Law Enforcement Action Forum (LEAF) of the Municipal League of Michigan.

http://www.mml.org/insurance/shared/publications/leaf_newsletter/2009_04.pdf

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.