Go Back   Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > Politics, Government, or Religion Chat
GL4x4 Live! GL4x4 Casino

Politics, Government, or Religion Chat Bring your flamesuit!







Search
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old November 10th, 2009, 12:21 PM   #21
mikesova
My 4x4 is a Subaru.
 
mikesova's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Gladwin, MI
Posts: 7,758
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to mikesova
Default

“It is not fair for a young Muslim student in Seattle to bear the burden of association or responsibility for the shooting in Texas. The two have nothing to do with one another. Of course we need to investigate the factors, including religious ones, that may have gone into this horrible shooter incident at Fort Hood, just as we needed to look into the influences on Timothy McVeigh in Oklahoma or Von Brunn at the Holocaust Museum. But this event no more reflects on the whole of Islam or South Asians than McVeigh or Von Brunn reflects on White, Christian Males. It is time to extend the privilege of disassociation from evil outliers to all races and religions in America.”

(http://blog.beliefnet.com/progressiv...gs-and-th.html)
mikesova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2009, 12:23 PM   #22
XXXJ
Desert Rat
 
XXXJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-09-07
Location: Memphis, Mi
Posts: 5,565
iTrader: (12)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesova View Post
“It is not fair for a young Muslim student in Seattle to bear the burden of association or responsibility for the shooting in Texas. The two have nothing to do with one another. Of course we need to investigate the factors, including religious ones, that may have gone into this horrible shooter incident at Fort Hood, just as we needed to look into the influences on Timothy McVeigh in Oklahoma or Von Brunn at the Holocaust Museum. But this event no more reflects on the whole of Islam or South Asians than McVeigh or Von Brunn reflects on White, Christian Males. It is time to extend the privilege of disassociation from evil outliers to all races and religions in America.”

(http://blog.beliefnet.com/progressiv...s-and-th.html)
It's called "Islamic Jihad" for a reason.
__________________
If I didn't think with my penis, I wouldn't think at all

I hope I am not a racist, I mean I drive fast, But I am not specialized at it.
XXXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2009, 12:28 PM   #23
mikesova
My 4x4 is a Subaru.
 
mikesova's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Gladwin, MI
Posts: 7,758
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to mikesova
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXXJ View Post
It's called "Islamic Jihad" for a reason.
the bible tells us to burn witches...your point?

Muslims can easily pick and choose what they want to follow, just like Christians.
mikesova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2009, 12:33 PM   #24
gladiator18
66' Gladiator
 
gladiator18's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-25-07
Location: Rochester Hills, Michigan
Posts: 478
iTrader: (4)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

He's a waste of life, should be strung up, can't use a bullet it'd be to nice, to quick, make him think about everyone he has hurt as he sways in the breeze.
gladiator18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2009, 12:54 PM   #25
Nuggets
I fix stuff!
 
Nuggets's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-15-06
Location: Bay City, MI
Posts: 13,383
iTrader: (13)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Default

I've never heard of Muslums acting in this manner before. I bet it's just an isolated incident.
Nuggets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2009, 01:15 PM   #26
disorder xj
Happy,happy,joy,joy
 
disorder xj's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08-13-06
Location: Mio MI.
Posts: 2,900
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuggets View Post
I've never heard of Muslums acting in this manner before. I bet it's just an isolated incident.
disorder xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2009, 01:47 PM   #27
ovrlnd
HURL SCOUTS
 
ovrlnd's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-23-07
Location: Westland, Michigan
Posts: 10,003
iTrader: (14)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to ovrlnd
Default

if someone wishes to actually fix the world the first step would be to abolish all theological beliefs.
ovrlnd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2009, 01:56 PM   #28
mikesova
My 4x4 is a Subaru.
 
mikesova's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Gladwin, MI
Posts: 7,758
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to mikesova
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovrlnd View Post
if someone wishes to actually fix the world the first step would be to abolish all theological beliefs.
I'd almost agree with you except, when you abolish something like that, it would just fester underground...If you banish something it makes it that much more attractive. You have to convince people to be more rational and get them to drop religion as their choice.
mikesova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2009, 02:13 PM   #29
FORD FLARESIDE
Someday, yeah Someday
 
FORD FLARESIDE's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-09-06
Location: Comstock Park
Posts: 21,305
iTrader: (23)
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesova View Post
I'd almost agree with you except, when you abolish something like that, it would just fester underground...If you banish something it makes it that much more attractive. You have to convince people to be more rational and get them to drop religion as their choice.
By becoming a school teacher and only teaching agnosticism, forcing it into little kids mushed filled brains, and telling them not to listen to their parents.


Did I get that part right Mike?
FORD FLARESIDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2009, 02:45 PM   #30
XXXJ
Desert Rat
 
XXXJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-09-07
Location: Memphis, Mi
Posts: 5,565
iTrader: (12)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Default

Muslims: 'America's chickens have come home to roost'
U.S. Islamic street preachers declare Fort Hood victims got just deserts
http://www.wnd.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=115325

American Muslim created a Facebook page to support Fort Hood mass murderer Nidal Hasan
http://forums.sulekha.com/forums/cof...san-983137.htm

"Major Nidal Hasan M.D.. An officer and a gentleman was injured while partaking in a preemptive* attack. Get Well Soon Major Nidal. We Love You..."
http://www.revolutionmuslim.com/

New York-Based Radical Muslim Hails Fort Hood Massacre:
"Get well soon Major Nidal. We love you."
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,572998,00.html

NY Muslim: "Get Well Soon Major Nidal We Love You"
http://mypetjawa.mu.nu/archives/199484.php
__________________
If I didn't think with my penis, I wouldn't think at all

I hope I am not a racist, I mean I drive fast, But I am not specialized at it.
XXXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2009, 02:48 PM   #31
Marine_mike
SNSHTF
 
Marine_mike's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-09-08
Location: Mount Clemens/MI
Posts: 1,918
iTrader: (8)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Ya know...... The firing squad is still the legal punishment for treason. Let's send a message to future jihadist.
Marine_mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2009, 02:56 PM   #32
PeteC
Get Up and Go
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Oak Park, Michigan
Posts: 2,556
iTrader: (3)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Default

Let's see.........

If it is determined that this was a terrist atack, carried out in the name of Islam, by an American citizen with 20 years of service in the U.S. Army, will it be a case of Domestic Terrorism, or Islamic Terrorism?

And, if it is true that there were many warnings signs, including contact with other terrorists, and the Intelligence community failed at thier job to identify this guy ahead of time as a threat, then does the fault lie with the current administration? I ask this because if Obama gets the blame for this then logically Bush gets the blame for 9/11. Just thinking out loud.

Is Scott Roeder a terrorist because he killed based on beliefs put forth by his religion?


I personally believe that it is quite possible that this was a case of terrorism of one kind or the other. All of the facts are not out yet.

He may well have just been a guy that snapped.

Fact is he killed 13 and wounded more than 2 dozen (some reports indicate there may have been some friendly fire victims)
Fact is he was a US Soldier for 20 years (I believe)
That is about all that is officially known.

Although it seems quite obvious that this guy is guilty of murder I will withold judgement on motive.
PeteC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2009, 02:59 PM   #33
disorder xj
Happy,happy,joy,joy
 
disorder xj's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08-13-06
Location: Mio MI.
Posts: 2,900
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marine_mike View Post
Ya know...... The firing squad is still the legal punishment for treason. Let's send a message to future jihadist.
disorder xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2009, 03:02 PM   #34
whiterhino
I'm not old, honest...
 
whiterhino's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-07-06
Location: Davisburg MI
Posts: 20,754
iTrader: (21)
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteC View Post
Although it seems quite obvious that this guy is guilty of murder I will withold judgement on motive.
I don't care his motive. Hang him or put him in front of the firing squad. If he acted alone, we're done with him. If he acted as part of a terrorist group, they know it and it will send a message to them. Either way, it's a win for us to be done with him.
whiterhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2009, 05:25 PM   #35
mikesova
My 4x4 is a Subaru.
 
mikesova's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Gladwin, MI
Posts: 7,758
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to mikesova
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FORD FLARESIDE View Post
By becoming a school teacher and only teaching agnosticism, forcing it into little kids mushed filled brains, and telling them not to listen to their parents.


Did I get that part right Mike?
I don't teach religion, let alone "agnosticism". I have never told a student not to listen to their parents. I think the best way to get people to understand why religion isn't right is by teaching them logic and a firm understanding of the scientific method. Once those things are understood, religion should just fall to the wayside. I would never even touch the topic of whether religion is right or wrong in a public school, not with a 20 foot pole.
mikesova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2009, 05:40 PM   #36
SBC YJ
Heavy Chevy
 
SBC YJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: 05-01-07
Location: North Muskegon
Posts: 1,183
iTrader: (9)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

my cousin and his family are stationed there...
SBC YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2009, 06:12 PM   #37
L4CX
Out for the Summer!
 
L4CX's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-16-07
Location: Hillsdale, MI
Posts: 4,913
iTrader: (5)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesova View Post
the bible tells us to burn witches...your point?

Muslims can easily pick and choose what they want to follow, just like Christians.

WRONG! With a Proper understanding of the bible (in it's entirety) and the Christian Faith you would clearly see that is not what we are called to do, AT ALL!.. You're full of it.

Personally I think that most of the problems with Religion come from Extremeists. Unfortunatly, that's all most people focus on.


Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesova View Post
I don't teach religion, let alone "agnosticism". I have never told a student not to listen to their parents. I think the best way to get people to understand why religion isn't right is by teaching them logic and a firm understanding of the scientific method. Once those things are understood, religion should just fall to the wayside. I would never even touch the topic of whether religion is right or wrong in a public school, not with a 20 foot pole.

I understand logic AND the Scientific method (thanks to you and others on this site). I still believe in a God. I'm glad you choose this passive way of "teaching" the kids, because it obviously doesn't work.



I can't really say if this guy is a terrorist or not. Is it really a big surprise either way? Everybody knew this was coming.
L4CX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2009, 06:58 PM   #38
mikesova
My 4x4 is a Subaru.
 
mikesova's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Gladwin, MI
Posts: 7,758
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to mikesova
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by L4CX View Post
I understand logic AND the Scientific method (thanks to you and others on this site). I still believe in a God. I'm glad you choose this passive way of "teaching" the kids, because it obviously doesn't work.
Don't worry, it's not my job to teach a religion class or an atheism class. I don't even really cover the scientific method, I'm a social studies teacher. I did teach a science section in a summer program this summer, it was fun. As a social studies teach though, I have and would cover the the atrocities committed by various religions including Christianity. The Spanish Inquisition is the most fun, I think.
mikesova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2009, 07:04 PM   #39
mikesova
My 4x4 is a Subaru.
 
mikesova's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Gladwin, MI
Posts: 7,758
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to mikesova
Default

[QUOTE=L4CX;1943197]WRONG! With a Proper understanding of the bible (in it's entirety) and the Christian Faith you would clearly see that is not what we are called to do, AT ALL!.. You're full of it.
QUOTE]

Does the bible say it, or does it not? I understand that you believe that you have a proper understanding which allows you to ignore those verses that don't line up with what you want to believe.
mikesova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2009, 07:14 PM   #40
Mr Toes - R.I.P.
November 7, 1958 - July 22, 2011
 
Mr Toes - R.I.P.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-29-07
Location: Belleville Mi
Posts: 4,727
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

It's to bad that hate crime bill hasn't passed yet.

I'm sure that would have stopped this guy.
Mr Toes - R.I.P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > Politics, Government, or Religion Chat
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:11 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2012, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Copyright ©2005 - 2012 Cracker Enterprises - Powered by Linux
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=
Page generated in 0.22495 seconds with 52 queries