Hate crimes bill passed - Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest

Go Back   Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > Politics, Government, or Religion Chat
GL4x4 Live! GL4x4 Casino

Politics, Government, or Religion Chat Bring your flamesuit!

greatlakes4x4.com is the premier Great Lakes 4x4 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Search
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old April 30th, 2009, 03:01 PM   #1
aber61
Senior Member
 
aber61's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-22-08
Location: Commerce Twp. Michigan
Posts: 6,109
iTrader: (3)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Default Hate crimes bill passed

Obama said he would sign this bill if passed, and so here we go just one more of our freedoms being taken away. What ever happened to Freedom of Speech. According to this bill, you say something against a gay person, lets say something hateful and another person went out and killed a gay person or beat the crap out of em and said that what you said made them do it..... you also can be charged with a hate crime. Pastors in Canada now cannot say anything about homosexuality from the Bible.... or face prosecution, jail time for speech. Any other thoughts on this matter of hate crimes, give me a break, sticks and stones can break my bones.......... you know the rest
aber61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old April 30th, 2009, 03:07 PM   #2
MISHOWJEEPER
NSFW
 
MISHOWJEEPER's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-06-07
Location: Lapeer MI
Posts: 2,239
iTrader: (13)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

I hate Obama, so when he gets sniped I get prosecuted? That's fucked up.
MISHOWJEEPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2009, 03:08 PM   #3
xNewhaven11
Four Wheel Drive
 
xNewhaven11's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-01-09
Location: Lenox Twp, Michigan
Posts: 702
iTrader: (6)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to xNewhaven11 Send a message via MSN to xNewhaven11
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MISHOWJEEPER View Post
I hate Obama, so when he gets sniped I get prosecuted? That's fucked up.
xNewhaven11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2009, 03:10 PM   #4
Nuggets
I fix stuff!
 
Nuggets's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-15-06
Location: Bay City, MI
Posts: 13,438
iTrader: (13)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Default

And it begins..........
Nuggets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2009, 03:22 PM   #5
ovrlnd
HURL SCOUTS
 
ovrlnd's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-23-07
Location: Westland, Michigan
Posts: 10,003
iTrader: (14)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to ovrlnd
Default

wtf?

I thought we would get a stint of socialism.

NOPE NOT FAILMERICA

right to communism people will be charged on complete heresay and lives runied.
the legal system will be overburdened very quickly, moreso than it already is because of this.

THANK YOU OBAMA FOR TAKING AWAY OUR RIGHT TO FREE SPEECH.
ovrlnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2009, 03:28 PM   #6
Dave Kerwin
web wheeling, hard.
 
Dave Kerwin's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-18-05
Location: SE MI
Posts: 6,689
iTrader: (9)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Default

Absolute insanity.

First conservatives are on the watch list for terrorism, then you gotta shut em up with crap like this.

If there is a big revolt I will show up.

obama = wolf in sheep's clothing. I knew this going in, and all the dummies who voted for him now have to pay for it. Well, at least the dummy Christians.
Dave Kerwin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2009, 03:41 PM   #7
ovrlnd
HURL SCOUTS
 
ovrlnd's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-23-07
Location: Westland, Michigan
Posts: 10,003
iTrader: (14)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to ovrlnd
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Kerwin View Post
Absolute insanity.

First conservatives are on the watch list for terrorism, then you gotta shut em up with crap like this.

If there is a big revolt I will show up.

obama = wolf in sheep's clothing. I knew this going in, and all the dummies who voted for him now have to pay for it. Well, at least the dummy Christians.
how much of this until a not just conservatives say "too far"

it's actions like this that spawn reactions that leave people saying "how could this happen"

obama gets a

ovrlnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2009, 04:13 PM   #8
PeteC
Get Up and Go
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Oak Park, Michigan
Posts: 2,561
iTrader: (3)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Default

2 Versions of the bill passed by the House and sent to the Senate for consideration:

Introduced: http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/.../~c1119hJPVW::

Reported: http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/.../~c1119hJPVW::


In a quick review of the bill, I have found that in order to be prosecuted under this bill a person would have to cause, or attempt to cause bodily harm based on a prejudice against another race, creed, etc., etc., etc.

There is nothing I read that says you lose 1st amendments rights.

In fact, the only words that can be used in court are those directly related to the incident. In other words, if you brag to the guys in the bar that you did bodily harm to someone because they are black, or gay, or handicapped, those words can be used.
However, if you preach against homosexuality in your church.....well, there is nothing I see in this bill that would stop that.

I put the links up in case you want to read the bills for yourself.
PeteC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2009, 04:16 PM   #9
PeteC
Get Up and Go
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Oak Park, Michigan
Posts: 2,561
iTrader: (3)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aber61 View Post
........................ According to this bill, you say something against a gay person, lets say something hateful and another person went out and killed a gay person or beat the crap out of em and said that what you said made them do it..... you also can be charged with a hate crime........................................

Really? go to the links I provided and find that, please?

BTW, not trying to take sides on the bill as I think a crime is a crime and should be prosecuted equally. I am just interested in facts based on the congressional record. If I missed something in the actual bills, I would be happy to apologize.
PeteC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2009, 04:42 PM   #10
DuffMan
Your Message Here
 
DuffMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: The Ile of Grosse
Posts: 5,840
iTrader: (11)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

The whole concept of "hate crime" is F-ed up.

You murder or assault someone - it's a crime. Other than determining the degree of punishment, the guilty party's reason or motivation for that crime is immaterial.

Some ghetto rat kid kills another kid over a jacket, pair of shoes, glasses, wallet, etc... Why isn't that a "hate crime"? I think that taking a life over a piece of property is worse than s prosecutor thinking someone committed a crime because he "hated" the victim".

If you go down the street and kill the first green person you see without reason or provocation (other than their inherent greenness), you should already be getting the chair. The fact that you "hated" this person doesn't make it any worse.

Besides, "hate crimes" are only selectively applied to gain more media coverage.
__________________
This is the Pub. Leave common sense at the door.
DuffMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2009, 04:52 PM   #11
Yetti
Buy a Fiat! Save the UAW!
 
Yetti's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: 20 minutes south of Hell...
Posts: 14,384
iTrader: (10)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Default

well, I can say without a doubt there are and will be people who would think they are better then others or try and opress others for the shear fact of race, color or handicap. I have been on the receiving end of several in my lifetime. the idea that it can be a punishable offense is a long time in coming.
__________________
Yetti
Yetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2009, 05:10 PM   #12
smasheromalley
Senior Member
 
smasheromalley's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-06-05
Location: Michigan
Posts: 3,038
iTrader: (15)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

More thought police brought to you by liberals. Hate speech is next
smasheromalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2009, 05:43 PM   #13
Mr Toes - R.I.P.
November 7, 1958 - July 22, 2011
 
Mr Toes - R.I.P.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-29-07
Location: Belleville Mi
Posts: 4,727
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Is there a provision in the bill for me....I hate everybody and everything....
Mr Toes - R.I.P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2009, 05:50 PM   #14
mikesova
My 4x4 is a Subaru.
 
mikesova's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Gladwin, MI
Posts: 7,793
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to mikesova
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aber61 View Post
Obama said he would sign this bill if passed, and so here we go just one more of our freedoms being taken away. What ever happened to Freedom of Speech. According to this bill, you say something against a gay person, lets say something hateful and another person went out and killed a gay person or beat the crap out of em and said that what you said made them do it..... you also can be charged with a hate crime. Pastors in Canada now cannot say anything about homosexuality from the Bible.... or face prosecution, jail time for speech. Any other thoughts on this matter of hate crimes, give me a break, sticks and stones can break my bones.......... you know the rest
way to spread a bunch of false information to rile up the simpletons.
mikesova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2009, 05:57 PM   #15
Mr Toes - R.I.P.
November 7, 1958 - July 22, 2011
 
Mr Toes - R.I.P.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-29-07
Location: Belleville Mi
Posts: 4,727
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesova View Post
way to spread a bunch of false information to rile up the simpletons.

Shut your bitch mouth and go grade some papers......

Oldest daughter is finishing student teaching....she recevied an award from the university for communication arts and is graduating with highest honors...

She promised to tech me to spell and to communicate....hahahhahaha

I said shut up or you get no more money, everybody understands that....

Go fawk yourself and take your girl out to dinner......
Mr Toes - R.I.P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2009, 07:43 PM   #16
Medic8
You call, we haul.
 
Medic8's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-08-05
Location: Southgate, MI
Posts: 1,492
iTrader: (4)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aber61 View Post
Pastors in Canada now cannot say anything about homosexuality from the Bible.... or face prosecution, jail time for speech.
Kwame Kilpatrick... is that you? You do realize that Canada is another country, with separate laws and punishments than that of the United States, right?

Hate crimes are bullshit, as said by PeteC, and legislating for them is even worse, but you might want to educate yourself a little bit before you make yourself look like an idiot. Well, again at least.
Medic8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2009, 09:24 PM   #17
aber61
Senior Member
 
aber61's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-22-08
Location: Commerce Twp. Michigan
Posts: 6,109
iTrader: (3)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteC View Post
Really? go to the links I provided and find that, please?

BTW, not trying to take sides on the bill as I think a crime is a crime and should be prosecuted equally. I am just interested in facts based on the congressional record. If I missed something in the actual bills, I would be happy to apologize.
hey no need to apologize. I was only thinking of the future, if things start like this, by so called laws to protect the rights of the minority or what ever they are now, what will happen to these laws when they need to be changed for what ever reason a liberal judge sees fit, to expand the law to.... There is a law in Canada the c250 bill I believe it is...any persons speaking out against gays, blacks, anybody who is different or a pastor from the pulpit, cannot read what the bible says about homos he can be charged. Radio stations from here broadcasting in Canada need to edit the audio to not include what we are allowed to say here in the USA freely in our constitution. It is only a matter of time until it really hits home. It is in Europe, Canada and here... almost, do not be fooled by the slick forked tongue of the nobama and the liberal left of this country. It will be time to revolt soon and revolt we must. I believe our for fathers left a country that did not allow the people to live free. I think we are returning to the past.
aber61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2009, 09:29 PM   #18
aber61
Senior Member
 
aber61's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-22-08
Location: Commerce Twp. Michigan
Posts: 6,109
iTrader: (3)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by smasheromalley View Post
More thought police brought to you by liberals. Hate speech is next
and it is only around the corner coming faster than most would care to believe. only a guess I would say within 5 years.
aber61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2009, 09:30 PM   #19
aber61
Senior Member
 
aber61's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-22-08
Location: Commerce Twp. Michigan
Posts: 6,109
iTrader: (3)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Toes View Post
Is there a provision in the bill for me....I hate everybody and everything....
Then you be one of the first to be charged with hate
aber61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2009, 09:45 PM   #20
aber61
Senior Member
 
aber61's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-22-08
Location: Commerce Twp. Michigan
Posts: 6,109
iTrader: (3)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Toes View Post
Is there a provision in the bill for me....I hate everybody and everything....
aber61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > Politics, Government, or Religion Chat

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:23 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright 2000 - 2012, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Page generated in 0.29029 seconds with 81 queries