Ford Escape Plug-In Hybird Experience - Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest

Go Back   Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > The Pub
GL4x4 Live! GL4x4 Casino

The Pub A friendly forum where everybody is nice, and will answer any questions you have about life.

greatlakes4x4.com is the premier Great Lakes 4x4 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Search
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old March 15th, 2009, 09:18 AM   #1
DuffMan
Your Message Here
 
DuffMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: The Ile of Grosse
Posts: 5,837
iTrader: (11)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default Ford Escape Plug-In Hybird Experience

Spent some time last week with a prototype Ford Escape Plug-In Hybrid.

Battery life was a little disappointing, with a 20-ish mile commute eating about half of the battery power - and that was using "gas engine mode" above 15 mph (most of the trip).

As batteries get better I could see this as a real option for many uses.

I hope they have really well-built starters - because it gets a workout shifting between modes. Performance was great for commuter/DD service.

The display (what mode vehicle was in, etc...) was really well done and integrated into the Sync/GPS system. The Escape was top-of-the-line trim-wise, which made it very comfortable. Got "thumbs up" from Prius drivers (hard to miss huge 6" "HYBRID" and "PLUG-IN HYBRID" graphics on vehicle.
__________________
This is the Pub. Leave common sense at the door.
DuffMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old March 15th, 2009, 09:24 AM   #2
xjmichigan
Senior Member
 
xjmichigan's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Plymouth
Posts: 4,328
iTrader: (16)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

So, I assume that the starter cycling takes a lot of run time from the batteries?
Would it be more efficient to have the engine idle and charge for heavy city driving?
xjmichigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2009, 09:43 AM   #3
Haggar
Covered in mud...
 
Haggar's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-06-05
Location: Oxford, MI
Posts: 17,650
iTrader: (55)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjmichigan View Post
So, I assume that the starter cycling takes a lot of run time from the batteries?
Would it be more efficient to have the engine idle and charge for heavy city driving?
No, its not a normal starter, or, at least on something thats running ful electric mode, it *shouldn't* be. There isn't a starter, just a full electric drivetrain you just clutch in the engine and it starts.

Shutting off the engine during all that idle time is a big saver in city traffic.
Haggar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2009, 09:54 AM   #4
blizazer
Senior Member
 
blizazer's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-09-05
Location: Romeo, MI
Posts: 499
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to blizazer
Default

So how do you swing a ride in something like that?
blizazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2009, 10:35 AM   #5
Disturban
Senior Member
 
Disturban's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-27-08
Location: Lowell, MI
Posts: 2,794
iTrader: (2)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

All those problems have been solved...it's called a Chevy Volt
Disturban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2009, 10:41 AM   #6
DuffMan
Your Message Here
 
DuffMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: The Ile of Grosse
Posts: 5,837
iTrader: (11)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blizazer View Post
So how do you swing a ride in something like that?
Management at a regional energy company that owns utilities.

When the batteries fall below a certain level, it starts the engine. It appears that if the climate control system calls for heat, it starts the engine to provide hot water (it did several times while parked and unattended, but "on").

Later in the day we did a lot of stopping/short trips/low speed work, and it attempted to stay electric all the time. It does use the "flywheeling" of the vehicle to charge the battery when stopping. Starting it is a lot like a diesel - turn it "on" to boot the computer and then move the starter to "start" to go. No noise.

As I said, the nice video display provided a very clear picture of current flows (battery to electric motor, gas engine to battery, etc...) and modes. Well done, whoever did that piece of work. Instrument panel had electric displays (charge+/charge-, battery level coaxial with gas level) well-integrated - again well-done and definitely market-ready (perhaps it's what is already used on the Escape Hybrids on the road today).

It used the started a fair amount - although I couldn't tell if it used kinetic energy to start the gas engine underway or just the starter. It was pretty quiet, so you couldn't tell - you just heard/felt the gas engine start.
__________________
This is the Pub. Leave common sense at the door.
DuffMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2009, 10:53 AM   #7
Nuggets
I fix stuff!
 
Nuggets's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-15-06
Location: Bay City, MI
Posts: 13,433
iTrader: (13)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Default

I look forward to when these new hybrids get old enough to come to me for repair. I think I will like working on them just because they are different.
Nuggets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2009, 12:03 PM   #8
jeepman784
Now pedals a bicycle
 
jeepman784's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-10-07
Location: grand rapids area, michigan
Posts: 1,578
iTrader: (9)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to jeepman784
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuggets View Post
I look forward to when these new hybrids get old enough to come to me for repair. I think I will like working on them just because they are different.
my mother in law has a ford dealership, and she said it was unbelieveable how much specialized equipment tey had to get to work on the hybrids. including some non-conductive 20 foot pole to pull someone off in the event of their electrocution
jeepman784 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2009, 12:42 PM   #9
shaker
In the band!
 
Join Date: 09-10-06
Location: West Branch
Posts: 1,070
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepman784 View Post
my mother in law has a ford dealership, and she said it was unbelieveable how much specialized equipment tey had to get to work on the hybrids. including some non-conductive 20 foot pole to pull someone off in the event of their electrocution
It really sucks how little info is available for those of us that are going to have to scrape these things off the street when they get smashed. And who knows what kinda added dangers may result from an accident.
shaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2009, 12:45 PM   #10
Haggar
Covered in mud...
 
Haggar's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-06-05
Location: Oxford, MI
Posts: 17,650
iTrader: (55)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuffMan View Post
As I said, the nice video display provided a very clear picture of current flows (battery to electric motor, gas engine to battery, etc...) and modes. Well done, whoever did that piece of work. Instrument panel had electric displays (charge+/charge-, battery level coaxial with gas level) well-integrated - again well-done and definitely market-ready (perhaps it's what is already used on the Escape Hybrids on the road today).

If the instrument panel has two color displays, with a speedometer in the center, thats from the Fusion:





Thats what I do for a living, designing those. I just finished the camaro and color displays in the LaCrosse. We're doing the Volt now. Funny how much exceitement is generated by a well done cluster. That cluster in the fusion is one of the most expensive I've seen, with two displays and low volume. Around $400 piece cost, compared to about $150 for a normal one with a single display.
Haggar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2009, 01:00 PM   #11
DuffMan
Your Message Here
 
DuffMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: The Ile of Grosse
Posts: 5,837
iTrader: (11)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggar View Post
If the instrument panel has two color displays, with a speedometer in the center, thats from the Fusion:





Thats what I do for a living, designing those. I just finished the camaro and color displays in the LaCrosse. We're doing the Volt now. Funny how much exceitement is generated by a well done cluster. That cluster in the fusion is one of the most expensive I've seen, with two displays and low volume. Around $400 piece cost, compared to about $150 for a normal one with a single display.
Nice, but that's not it.

All electromechanical analog instrument panel with everything else running off the central video for the nav system on top of the center stack. For production, they might go with something more like the Fusion, since it wouldn't require the package to include the nav system/touchscreen.
__________________
This is the Pub. Leave common sense at the door.
DuffMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2009, 03:24 PM   #12
Haggar
Covered in mud...
 
Haggar's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-06-05
Location: Oxford, MI
Posts: 17,650
iTrader: (55)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Actually, we quoted it at work, so I could go look it up, if I felt like it. I work on the GM team, so don't usually look at the Ford quotes all that detailed.

For another OEM, we're working on a quote for an 8" center display, touch sensitive, proximity sensing, haptic feedback, etc.
Haggar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2009, 04:45 PM   #13
kickstand
sHaMoNe!
 
kickstand's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-20-06
Location: fenton
Posts: 31,139
iTrader: (46)
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Default

I rode in a saturn hybrid the other day with a friend who works at GM and had to put some miles on the car. I was rather impressed with the peppy-ness and the seamless transition to running on electric, gas, or a mix. Hybrid's are getting there....
kickstand is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > The Pub

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:47 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright 2000 - 2012, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Page generated in 0.23585 seconds with 60 queries