Go Back   Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > Politics, Government, or Religion Chat
GL4x4 Live! GL4x4 Casino

Politics, Government, or Religion Chat Bring your flamesuit!







Search
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old October 3rd, 2008, 09:21 AM   #81
steveo
In the band!
 
Join Date: 03-30-07
Location: montana/wyoming
Posts: 20,293
iTrader: (6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewmenn View Post
Because for the past 20 years more people were interested in having DVD players in their minivans than getting 35 mpg.
that's true, but what you want and what you need are 2 different things. look at the past 30 years. how many energy crisis's have we had? oil prices spike, gas prices spike, economical cars become popular, then when the prices fall, we go back to gas guzzlers. maybe someday we will learn.
steveo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2008, 09:23 AM   #82
steveo
In the band!
 
Join Date: 03-30-07
Location: montana/wyoming
Posts: 20,293
iTrader: (6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScOoTeR View Post
F=ma where:

F= torque or the inverse of fuel economy

m = mass, which work trucks have plenty

a = acceleration, and people seem to like lower numbers

It is a game that connot be won with government safety and emissions regulations that are currently in place (and getting more restrictive).

I am positive there are things you can tell me (withing the scope of welding and firearms, for sure) that cannot be done. Right now, you asking for a work truck that is of useful size and power to get 35 mpg is like me not understanding why you cannot use brazing rod in a wirefeed to weld magnesium.
well, your getting a pile of cash, so you better figure something out. i demand results, unlike most of the general public.
steveo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2008, 09:41 AM   #83
brewmenn
Grumpy old man.
 
brewmenn's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Inkster, MI
Posts: 10,298
iTrader: (9)
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveo View Post
tool and die maker for gm.
Are you serious? What do you plan on doing if GM goes bankrupt, get bought up by the Chinese, and your job moved to China?
brewmenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2008, 09:48 AM   #84
ScOoTeR
GLFWDA Member #07520
 
ScOoTeR's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-09-05
Location: Howell
Posts: 21,222
iTrader: (35)
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewmenn View Post
Are you serious? What do you plan on doing if GM goes bankrupt, get bought up by the Chinese, and your job moved to China?
No problem - the us is only a temporary stop.
ScOoTeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2008, 09:51 AM   #85
steveo
In the band!
 
Join Date: 03-30-07
Location: montana/wyoming
Posts: 20,293
iTrader: (6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewmenn View Post
Are you serious? What do you plan on doing if GM goes bankrupt, get bought up by the Chinese, and your job moved to China?
i like Chinese food, so i would problably move over there.

i was joking. not sure what i wanna do yet. i am going to school for welding currently, and this spring i will have a cert. of completion from hobart, plus a ass. in welding tech. in my short life i have done construction, drilled for oil, welded in the oilfield, done mechanical/body work on cars/trucks/semi trucks, ran excavating equipment, crushed gravel, worked on boats, and dug ditches. am going to work in whatever field makes me the most loot, wherever i need to go to do that.
steveo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2008, 10:06 AM   #86
brewmenn
Grumpy old man.
 
brewmenn's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Inkster, MI
Posts: 10,298
iTrader: (9)
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveo View Post
that's true, but what you want and what you need are 2 different things. look at the past 30 years. how many energy crisis's have we had? oil prices spike, gas prices spike, economical cars become popular, then when the prices fall, we go back to gas guzzlers. maybe someday we will learn.
Good luck trying to get people to buy what you think they need rather than what they say they want.
brewmenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2008, 10:09 AM   #87
brewmenn
Grumpy old man.
 
brewmenn's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Inkster, MI
Posts: 10,298
iTrader: (9)
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveo View Post
well, your getting a pile of cash, so you better figure something out. i demand results, unlike most of the general public.
To loosely quote Thomas Edison “You want results? We have lots of results, we know of thousands of things that don’t work”.

In the mean time, thanks for the loan, I’ll enjoy the steaks I buy with it.
brewmenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2008, 10:11 AM   #88
steveo
In the band!
 
Join Date: 03-30-07
Location: montana/wyoming
Posts: 20,293
iTrader: (6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewmenn View Post
To loosely quote Thomas Edison “You want results? We have lots of results, we know of thousands of things that don’t work”.

In the mean time, thanks for the loan, I’ll enjoy the steaks I buy with it.
lol, that was sarcasm, but that's a good point. eat a bloody rare one for me.
steveo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2008, 10:13 AM   #89
GreaseMonkey
Senior Member
 
GreaseMonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-04-05
Location: Washington, MI
Posts: 17,873
iTrader: (22)
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewmenn View Post
Good luck trying to get people to buy what you think they need rather than what they say they want.
Yup. What the government has been trying to do for years, gas prices did it in a few months.
GreaseMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2008, 10:21 AM   #90
brewmenn
Grumpy old man.
 
brewmenn's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Inkster, MI
Posts: 10,298
iTrader: (9)
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveo View Post
i like Chinese food, so i would problably move over there.

i was joking. not sure what i wanna do yet. i am going to school for welding currently, and this spring i will have a cert. of completion from hobart, plus a ass. in welding tech. in my short life i have done construction, drilled for oil, welded in the oilfield, done mechanical/body work on cars/trucks/semi trucks, ran excavating equipment, crushed gravel, worked on boats, and dug ditches. am going to work in whatever field makes me the most loot, wherever i need to go to do that.
I didn't think you were serious but you did have me worried there for a second.

You'll probably do fine, and make lots of loot. But please check back when you're about 45 and are tired of welding, drilling, crushing and digging and having to compete with some young kid half your age willing to work for half the money.
brewmenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2008, 10:23 AM   #91
brewmenn
Grumpy old man.
 
brewmenn's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Inkster, MI
Posts: 10,298
iTrader: (9)
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveo View Post
lol, that was sarcasm, but that's a good point. eat a bloody rare one for me.
You, and all other tax payers footing the bill for this should demand results. But everyone also need to understand that sometimes the "result" may not be what you wanted to hear.
brewmenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2008, 10:24 AM   #92
steveo
In the band!
 
Join Date: 03-30-07
Location: montana/wyoming
Posts: 20,293
iTrader: (6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewmenn View Post
I didn't think you were serious but you did have me worried there for a second.

You'll probably do fine, and make lots of loot. But please check back when you're about 45 and are tired of welding, drilling, crushing and digging and having to compete with some young kid half your age willing to work for half the money.
by the time i am 45, the kids half my age will be working for me.
steveo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2008, 10:25 AM   #93
steveo
In the band!
 
Join Date: 03-30-07
Location: montana/wyoming
Posts: 20,293
iTrader: (6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewmenn View Post
You, and all other tax payers footing the bill for this should demand results. But everyone also need to understand that sometimes the "result" may not be what you wanted to hear.
I am aware of that, some things cannot be done no matter how much effort and money you put in them. but this isn't public grade school, there is no grade for effort without results.
steveo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2008, 10:30 AM   #94
brewmenn
Grumpy old man.
 
brewmenn's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Inkster, MI
Posts: 10,298
iTrader: (9)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreaseMonkey View Post
Yup. What the government has been trying to do for years, gas prices did it in a few months.
I wonder, with the gas prices dropping like they has in the past few weeks, if that lesson will hold.

I think what may eventually change things is not the price of gas but good old fashion "generational rebellion". My kids seem much more interested in small fuel efficient cars than big trucks.
brewmenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2008, 10:57 AM   #95
GreaseMonkey
Senior Member
 
GreaseMonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-04-05
Location: Washington, MI
Posts: 17,873
iTrader: (22)
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewmenn View Post
I wonder, with the gas prices dropping like they has in the past few weeks, if that lesson will hold.

I think what may eventually change things is not the price of gas but good old fashion "generational rebellion". My kids seem much more interested in small fuel efficient cars than big trucks.
I think it will hold, unless prices get under $3 a gallon.

The people that need trucks will still buy them. The people that wanted trucks just for normal transportation will look at alternatives.
GreaseMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2008, 01:39 PM   #96
KartRacer
Blowd up
 
KartRacer's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-16-05
Location: Riverside, MI 49084
Posts: 6,335
iTrader: (4)
Send a message via AIM to KartRacer
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreaseMonkey View Post
I think it will hold, unless prices get under $3 a gallon.

The people that need trucks will still buy them. The people that wanted trucks just for normal transportation will look at alternatives.
I still think a majority of truck owners will remain truck owners even though they don't really need them. Our idea of "need" is quite different in this country for some reason.
KartRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2008, 02:08 PM   #97
GreaseMonkey
Senior Member
 
GreaseMonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-04-05
Location: Washington, MI
Posts: 17,873
iTrader: (22)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KartRacer View Post
I still think a majority of truck owners will remain truck owners even though they don't really need them. Our idea of "need" is quite different in this country for some reason.
You couldn't be more right.

I meant "need" as in, if you enjoy boating, camping, towing, hauling, or other hobbies, you generally "need" a truck for towing/hauling etc.

You don't need to do those activities, so it's really more technically a want, not a need.
GreaseMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2008, 02:15 PM   #98
KartRacer
Blowd up
 
KartRacer's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-16-05
Location: Riverside, MI 49084
Posts: 6,335
iTrader: (4)
Send a message via AIM to KartRacer
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreaseMonkey View Post
You couldn't be more right.

I meant "need" as in, if you enjoy boating, camping, towing, hauling, or other hobbies, you generally "need" a truck for towing/hauling etc.

You don't need to do those activities, so it's really more technically a want, not a need.
That, and the others that use them for the occasional home improvement project. As often as they use them, they could borrow, rent, or have the items delivered. Also, more people tow trailers with cars in other countries. With the "liability" game played too much here, it has made it hard to tow much with a car and get away with it.
KartRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2008, 02:28 PM   #99
GreaseMonkey
Senior Member
 
GreaseMonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-04-05
Location: Washington, MI
Posts: 17,873
iTrader: (22)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KartRacer View Post
That, and the others that use them for the occasional home improvement project. As often as they use them, they could borrow, rent, or have the items delivered. Also, more people tow trailers with cars in other countries. With the "liability" game played too much here, it has made it hard to tow much with a car and get away with it.
Yea, rent a pick-up from U-Haul for like $30 a day....
GreaseMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2008, 03:16 PM   #100
greygoose
I'm the dude
 
greygoose's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-18-08
Location: New Baltimore / Presque Isle
Posts: 6,079
iTrader: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreaseMonkey View Post
Yea, rent a pick-up from U-Haul for like $30 a day....
Or drive a Jeep, mine tows things just fine...
greygoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > Politics, Government, or Religion Chat
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:04 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2012, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©2005 - 2012 Cracker Enterprises - Powered by Linux
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=
Page generated in 0.23491 seconds with 52 queries