No God's No Guilt - Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest

Go Back   Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > Politics, Government, or Religion Chat
GL4x4 Live! GL4x4 Casino

Politics, Government, or Religion Chat Bring your flamesuit!

greatlakes4x4.com is the premier Great Lakes 4x4 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Search
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old May 19th, 2008, 09:45 PM   #1
mikesova
My 4x4 is a Subaru.
 
mikesova's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Gladwin, MI
Posts: 7,791
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to mikesova
Default No God's No Guilt

I just got my .mp3 copy of No God's No Guilt the story of Dr. Stephen Uhl's transformation from Catholic Priest to Atheist Psychologist.

you can download it here:

http://imaginenosuperstition.com/

but, I can't listen to it until I finish Dan Barker's book, Losing Faith in Faith which is about his conversion from Evangelical Preacher to the co-president of the Freedom from Religion Foundation.

the more things I read about the bible, the more I find it an immoral, inconsistent, ancient piece of garbage.
mikesova is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old May 19th, 2008, 09:47 PM   #2
JDirt
Always right-sometimes
 
JDirt's Avatar
 
Join Date: 06-02-07
Location: Interlochen
Posts: 1,873
iTrader: (13)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

This is going to be messy:dunie:
JDirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2008, 10:25 AM   #3
Dave Kerwin
web wheeling, hard.
 
Dave Kerwin's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-18-05
Location: SE MI
Posts: 6,689
iTrader: (9)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Default

Acts 17: 16-32

While Paul was waiting for them in Athens, he was greatly distressed to see that the city was full of idols. So he reasoned in the synagogue with the Jews and the God-fearing Greeks, as well as in the marketplace day by day with those who happened to be there. A group of Epicurean and Stoic philosophers began to dispute with him. Some of them asked, "What is this babbler trying to say?" Others remarked, "He seems to be advocating foreign gods." They said this because Paul was preaching the good news about Jesus and the resurrection. Then they took him and brought him to a meeting of the Areopagus, where they said to him, "May we know what this new teaching is that you are presenting? You are bringing some strange ideas to our ears, and we want to know what they mean." (All the Athenians and the foreigners who lived there spent their time doing nothing but talking about and listening to the latest ideas.)
Paul then stood up in the meeting of the Areopagus and said: "Men of Athens! I see that in every way you are very religious. For as I walked around and looked carefully at your objects of worship, I even found an altar with this inscription: TO AN UNKNOWN GOD. Now what you worship as something unknown I am going to proclaim to you.

"The God who made the world and everything in it is the Lord of heaven and earth and does not live in temples built by hands. And he is not served by human hands, as if he needed anything, because he himself gives all men life and breath and everything else. From one man he made every nation of men, that they should inhabit the whole earth; and he determined the times set for them and the exact places where they should live. God did this so that men would seek him and perhaps reach out for him and find him, though he is not far from each one of us. 'For in him we live and move and have our being.' As some of your own poets have said, 'We are his offspring.'

"Therefore since we are God's offspring, we should not think that the divine being is like gold or silver or stone—an image made by man's design and skill. In the past God overlooked such ignorance, but now he commands all people everywhere to repent. For he has set a day when he will judge the world with justice by the man he has appointed. He has given proof of this to all men by raising him from the dead."

When they heard about the resurrection of the dead, some of them sneered, but others said, "We want to hear you again on this subject."
Dave Kerwin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2008, 10:26 AM   #4
AGoodBuzz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 12-09-07
Location: Canton, MI
Posts: 1,557
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Kerwin View Post
Acts 17

6While Paul was waiting for them in Athens, he was greatly distressed to see that the city was full of idols. 17So he reasoned in the synagogue with the Jews and the God-fearing Greeks, as well as in the marketplace day by day with those who happened to be there. 18A group of Epicurean and Stoic philosophers began to dispute with him. Some of them asked, "What is this babbler trying to say?" Others remarked, "He seems to be advocating foreign gods." They said this because Paul was preaching the good news about Jesus and the resurrection. 19Then they took him and brought him to a meeting of the Areopagus, where they said to him, "May we know what this new teaching is that you are presenting? 20You are bringing some strange ideas to our ears, and we want to know what they mean." 21(All the Athenians and the foreigners who lived there spent their time doing nothing but talking about and listening to the latest ideas.)
22Paul then stood up in the meeting of the Areopagus and said: "Men of Athens! I see that in every way you are very religious. 23For as I walked around and looked carefully at your objects of worship, I even found an altar with this inscription: TO AN UNKNOWN GOD. Now what you worship as something unknown I am going to proclaim to you.

24"The God who made the world and everything in it is the Lord of heaven and earth and does not live in temples built by hands. 25And he is not served by human hands, as if he needed anything, because he himself gives all men life and breath and everything else. 26From one man he made every nation of men, that they should inhabit the whole earth; and he determined the times set for them and the exact places where they should live. 27God did this so that men would seek him and perhaps reach out for him and find him, though he is not far from each one of us. 28'For in him we live and move and have our being.' As some of your own poets have said, 'We are his offspring.'

29"Therefore since we are God's offspring, we should not think that the divine being is like gold or silver or stone—an image made by man's design and skill. 30In the past God overlooked such ignorance, but now he commands all people everywhere to repent. 31For he has set a day when he will judge the world with justice by the man he has appointed. He has given proof of this to all men by raising him from the dead."

32When they heard about the resurrection of the dead, some of them sneered, but others said, "We want to hear you again on this subject."
He's still referencing the buy-bull to support the buy-bull!
AGoodBuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2008, 10:32 AM   #5
AGoodBuzz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 12-09-07
Location: Canton, MI
Posts: 1,557
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Kerwin View Post
Acts 17: 16-32


"The God who made the world and everything in it is the Lord of heaven and earth and does not live in temples built by hands. And he is not served by human hands, as if he needed anything, because he himself gives all men life and breath and everything else. From one man he made every nation of men, that they should inhabit the whole earth; and he determined the times set for them and the exact places where they should live. God did this so that men would seek him and perhaps reach out for him and find him, though he is not far from each one of us. 'For in him we live and move and have our being.' As some of your own poets have said, 'We are his offspring.'

So he made me this way, what's the friggin' problem? He decided everything. I'm exactly as he wants me. He already knows how I'll choose because he is so almighty and powerful, right?
AGoodBuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2008, 10:45 AM   #6
no1likesme
not Frank Sinatra
 
no1likesme's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-10-08
Location: shepherd, MI
Posts: 678
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to no1likesme Send a message via MSN to no1likesme
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Kerwin View Post
Acts 17: 16-32

While Paul was waiting for them in Athens, he was greatly distressed to see that the city was full of idols. So he reasoned in the synagogue with the Jews and the God-fearing Greeks, as well as in the marketplace day by day with those who happened to be there. A group of Epicurean and Stoic philosophers began to dispute with him. Some of them asked, "What is this babbler trying to say?" Others remarked, "He seems to be advocating foreign gods." They said this because Paul was preaching the good news about Jesus and the resurrection. Then they took him and brought him to a meeting of the Areopagus, where they said to him, "May we know what this new teaching is that you are presenting? You are bringing some strange ideas to our ears, and we want to know what they mean." (All the Athenians and the foreigners who lived there spent their time doing nothing but talking about and listening to the latest ideas.)
Paul then stood up in the meeting of the Areopagus and said: "Men of Athens! I see that in every way you are very religious. For as I walked around and looked carefully at your objects of worship, I even found an altar with this inscription: TO AN UNKNOWN GOD. Now what you worship as something unknown I am going to proclaim to you.

"The God who made the world and everything in it is the Lord of heaven and earth and does not live in temples built by hands. And he is not served by human hands, as if he needed anything, because he himself gives all men life and breath and everything else. From one man he made every nation of men, that they should inhabit the whole earth; and he determined the times set for them and the exact places where they should live. God did this so that men would seek him and perhaps reach out for him and find him, though he is not far from each one of us. 'For in him we live and move and have our being.' As some of your own poets have said, 'We are his offspring.'

"Therefore since we are God's offspring, we should not think that the divine being is like gold or silver or stone—an image made by man's design and skill. In the past God overlooked such ignorance, but now he commands all people everywhere to repent. For he has set a day when he will judge the world with justice by the man he has appointed. He has given proof of this to all men by raising him from the dead."

When they heard about the resurrection of the dead, some of them sneered, but others said, "We want to hear you again on this subject."

How the hell is this relevant?
no1likesme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2008, 11:26 AM   #7
Dave Kerwin
web wheeling, hard.
 
Dave Kerwin's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-18-05
Location: SE MI
Posts: 6,689
iTrader: (9)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Default

The Apostle Paul met dood's like him, reasoned with them about the faith, and made a calling to them that I am passing on.
Dave Kerwin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2008, 12:07 PM   #8
Dave Kerwin
web wheeling, hard.
 
Dave Kerwin's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-18-05
Location: SE MI
Posts: 6,689
iTrader: (9)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Default

"no God, no guilt"

that pretty much sums your your phiosophy. Just ignore history and common sense, declare that God exists eventhough evidence suggests otherwise, and then you no longer have to feel guilty for living a life of sin. The irony here is that you even know you are doing that, and make a thread to announce it.

I am a sinner like you, but don't bypass eternal life out of stubborness.
Dave Kerwin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2008, 12:30 PM   #9
no1likesme
not Frank Sinatra
 
no1likesme's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-10-08
Location: shepherd, MI
Posts: 678
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to no1likesme Send a message via MSN to no1likesme
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Kerwin View Post
declare that God exists eventhough evidence suggests otherwise
.
no1likesme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2008, 12:33 PM   #10
mikesova
My 4x4 is a Subaru.
 
mikesova's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Gladwin, MI
Posts: 7,791
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to mikesova
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by no1likesme View Post
.
yeah, i caught that too, but I was just going to leave it alone. It's funny that Dave believes that I would live much differently if I was a Christian.

The only thing I would do differently is probably go to church and tell people that Jesus Saves, other than that, my life would be exactly the same.
mikesova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2008, 12:39 PM   #11
Dave Kerwin
web wheeling, hard.
 
Dave Kerwin's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-18-05
Location: SE MI
Posts: 6,689
iTrader: (9)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesova View Post
yeah, i caught that too, but I was just going to leave it alone. It's funny that Dave believes that I would live much differently if I was a Christian.

The only thing I would do differently is probably go to church and tell people that Jesus Saves, other than that, my life would be exactly the same.
minus the eternal flames part obviously. I will warn you against self-righteousness, it is why people go to hell.
Dave Kerwin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2008, 12:42 PM   #12
mikesova
My 4x4 is a Subaru.
 
mikesova's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Gladwin, MI
Posts: 7,791
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to mikesova
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Kerwin View Post
minus the eternal flames part obviously. I will warn you against self-righteousness, it is why people go to hell.
do you have any evidence of anyone going to hell?
mikesova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2008, 01:53 PM   #13
no1likesme
not Frank Sinatra
 
no1likesme's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-10-08
Location: shepherd, MI
Posts: 678
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to no1likesme Send a message via MSN to no1likesme
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesova View Post
do you have any evidence of anyone going to hell?
I shot cherry coke out my nose :tonka:
now I have to clean my screen.
no1likesme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2008, 01:55 PM   #14
Nuggets
I fix stuff!
 
Nuggets's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-15-06
Location: Bay City, MI
Posts: 13,433
iTrader: (13)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesova View Post
do you have any evidence of anyone going to hell?

Married men.
Nuggets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2008, 02:34 PM   #15
AGoodBuzz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 12-09-07
Location: Canton, MI
Posts: 1,557
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Kerwin View Post
"no God, no guilt"

that pretty much sums your your phiosophy. Just ignore history and common sense, declare that God exists eventhough evidence suggests otherwise, and then you no longer have to feel guilty for living a life of sin. The irony here is that you even know you are doing that, and make a thread to announce it.

I am a sinner like you, but don't bypass eternal life out of stubborness.
HEL-L-L-L-L-O-O-O-O-O.... K-E-E-E-E--R-R-R-R-W-W-W-W-I-I-I-N-N-N..... WHAT "EVIDENCE"????? WE'VE BEEN ASKING AND YOU HAVE DELIVERED SQUAT.

"Common sense"? ROFL!!!! What kind of IDIOT thinks that there is anything "common" about anything in the buy-bull?
AGoodBuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2008, 02:37 PM   #16
AGoodBuzz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 12-09-07
Location: Canton, MI
Posts: 1,557
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Kerwin View Post
minus the eternal flames part obviously. I will warn you against self-righteousness, it is why people go to hell.
Careful Mike. You've been WARNED...!
AGoodBuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2008, 03:10 PM   #17
Dave Kerwin
web wheeling, hard.
 
Dave Kerwin's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-18-05
Location: SE MI
Posts: 6,689
iTrader: (9)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGoodBuzz View Post
HEL-L-L-L-L-O-O-O-O-O.... K-E-E-E-E--R-R-R-R-W-W-W-W-I-I-I-N-N-N.....
I wasn't talking to you.
Dave Kerwin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2008, 03:12 PM   #18
AGoodBuzz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 12-09-07
Location: Canton, MI
Posts: 1,557
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Kerwin View Post
I wasn't talking to you.
Stick your tongue out when you say that... *wink*

And you never do when it comes time to provide proof.
AGoodBuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2008, 03:18 PM   #19
Dave Kerwin
web wheeling, hard.
 
Dave Kerwin's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-18-05
Location: SE MI
Posts: 6,689
iTrader: (9)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGoodBuzz View Post
Stick your tongue out when you say that... *wink*

And you never do when it comes time to provide proof.
My problem is that I don't enjoy repeating myself. I have said time and time again that I have no proof beyond a shadow of a doubt. In case you missed it, I said I have no proof beyond a shadow of a doubt. I do, however, believe there is proof to believe beyond reasonable doubt. In other words, there are REASONS to beleive vs. not believe.

We have avaialble proof that Jesus was a real person, but not empirical proof that he was the savior of the world. So in order to make that determiniation, I am placing the entire focus on the resurrection. The reason is because if he really did rise from the grave, they surely he is more than just a man. So now we need to examine the evidence to discover if the resurrection is the most logical conclusion, or the least logical. My problem is that Mike is so historically selective and dumb, that he can't even agree that Jesus was a human who lives 2k years ago. I want to discuss WHY it is more reasonable, and I have posted a website with 10 reasons to believe so, and you did not comment on that. So how about you stop accusing, start reading, and make an on topic responce.
Dave Kerwin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2008, 03:20 PM   #20
AGoodBuzz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 12-09-07
Location: Canton, MI
Posts: 1,557
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Kerwin View Post
My problem is that I don't enjoy repeating myself. I have said time and time again that I have no proof beyond a shadow of a doubt. In case you missed it, I said I have no proof beyond a shadow of a doubt. I do, however, believe there is proof to believe beyond reasonable doubt. In other words, there are REASONS to beleive vs. not believe.

We have avaialble proof that Jesus was a real person, but not empirical proof that he was the savior of the world. So in order to make that determiniation, I am placing the entire focus on the resurrection. The reason is because if he really did rise from the grave, they surely he is more than just a man. So now we need to examine the evidence to discover if the resurrection is the most logical conclusion, or the least logical. My problem is that Mike is so historically selective and dumb, that he can't even agree that Jesus was a human who lives 2k years ago. I want to discuss WHY it is more reasonable, and I have posted a website with 10 reasons to believe so, and you did not comment on that. So how about you stop accusing, start reading, and make an on topic responce.

Hmmm.. Don't know how I missed the link Sorry 'bout that. Please post again for me.

Thanks!
AGoodBuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > Politics, Government, or Religion Chat
Tags
dave kerwin, explaining it to a rock, ham gravy, sucks cock

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:09 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2012, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Page generated in 0.48541 seconds with 81 queries