this is what easter is really about - Page 10 - Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest

Go Back   Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > Politics, Government, or Religion Chat
GL4x4 Live! GL4x4 Casino

Politics, Government, or Religion Chat Bring your flamesuit!

greatlakes4x4.com is the premier Great Lakes 4x4 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Search
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old April 7th, 2008, 04:19 PM   #181
AGoodBuzz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 12-09-07
Location: Canton, MI
Posts: 1,557
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyeBread View Post
if I recall correctly, religion isn't either, Church is what is referenced in the constitution. it is subsequent case law, and theory, as well as perhaps some enabling legislation and/or procedural law that creates the practical side of the whole separation of religion/government...

not to get technical, but since law is basically about technicalities, and the constitution is a legal document, it should be technical at that level...
I beg to differ: "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."
AGoodBuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old April 7th, 2008, 04:24 PM   #182
AGoodBuzz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 12-09-07
Location: Canton, MI
Posts: 1,557
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyeBread View Post
no. many posts were referencing the the use of publicly owned grounds/buildings for display of, or practicing of religious symbology.

as for the other side of it, as I stated, there are a very large number of, and in fact increasing instances of public funded, owned, and operated entities enjoying tax free status, yet competing directly with for-profit/taxed business entities. the parks and recreation departments of many school districts, and/or municipalities are as an example creating ever more lavish recreational parks, including water parks that in some cases rival destination resorts...
That is immaterial to my point. Public entities refers to the domain of such, not the financial or titled ownership. Imminant domain is an excellent example. You hold title to property, but it remains public domain in that if it serves the greater pupblic it can be taken from you and used such.

I believe you already know this, and more, and are just participating in interesting debate. That's cool though. I do it to Mr. Toes all the time.
AGoodBuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2008, 04:28 PM   #183
AGoodBuzz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 12-09-07
Location: Canton, MI
Posts: 1,557
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Toes View Post
#73
scottie
Quality Ass




Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Jackson/Rochesterish
Posts: 4,245


iTrader: (0) Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Toes
Sex between males is a gay thing. Also since you claim it's discusting, we can make the determination that any physicallogical changes in your body, like a temperature change, that happens when you whitness something that you find distasteful or you don't like, and this temperature change will cause a change in the size of your penis, as this happens with the slightest body temperture change, You are a gay child molester at heart. This must be true because you said you found it to be discusting, and that, according to you is proof of your inner child molesting gay self.

learn to fucking spell you inbred half wit


and again your logic is flawed


Is this the type of constructive answer you would like to see offered in these discussions? Simple direct question.
I condemn such outbursts, even if you are inbred. If we are going to make cuts about peoples personality or physical makeup then we are not debating an issue (unless the topic is their physical makeup, like if I started a thread called, "Is Mr. Toes really inbred?", but I wouldn't do it because I don't care. I like you the way you are.

As far as saying "your logic is flawed", I personally see very little logic at all, but if he is going to say what he said, he needs to follow with, "and this is why.......".
AGoodBuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2008, 05:53 PM   #184
RyeBread
Catch the wave
 
RyeBread's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-08-05
Location: Fenton
Posts: 7,959
iTrader: (2)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGoodBuzz View Post
I beg to differ: "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."
I think I argued myself into a circle on that one, I quoted that exact reference on page 3, or 4 of this thread.

I was thinking about this very topic part of the way home. I wonder then how the various Unitarian Churches fit into the equation, other than being organized as a non-profit legal corporation like other churches our.

From my limited understanding, they are a Church with no religion - instead being organized around a semi-Christian based family morals, but recognizing no deity.

For those in the thread from OU, look up Professor Kieren Mathieson, the former Dean of the CompSci program. He's a deacon in a Unitarian Church in Rochester if I recall correctly, and a self-professed atheist. This being said, it's from memory from about 3 years ago, so I may have lost some important details there as well.
RyeBread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2008, 05:59 PM   #185
RyeBread
Catch the wave
 
RyeBread's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-08-05
Location: Fenton
Posts: 7,959
iTrader: (2)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGoodBuzz View Post
That is immaterial to my point. Public entities refers to the domain of such, not the financial or titled ownership. Imminant domain is an excellent example. You hold title to property, but it remains public domain in that if it serves the greater pupblic it can be taken from you and used such.

I believe you already know this, and more, and are just participating in interesting debate. That's cool though. I do it to Mr. Toes all the time.
Conceptually you may be correct. According to Statute, procedural law, and case law I have a very different conclusion with regards to public entity.

all of the above are significantly different when they are put to the test for exemption of property (and other) taxation in this State as well.

Generally speaking, when discussing the "bundle of sticks" that make up your rights in property, the rights of public domain are one of those sticks that a private property owner is only able to loosely grasp. In a former job assignment, with a former employer, I frequently had to endure the posturing of legal counsel on both sides as they debated the merits of an property owner's application for exemption...

(in addition to the jack of all trades assignments, and training I've had for the past two decades, I remain a Certified Level 3 Property Tax Assessor, level 4 being the highest. To attain Level 4, if so inclined, I need only finish writing the equivalent of a thesis, and sit for an oral exam - it's a trade I'm really trying to not get fully re-engaged in however)
RyeBread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2008, 01:13 PM   #186
AGoodBuzz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 12-09-07
Location: Canton, MI
Posts: 1,557
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyeBread View Post
Conceptually you may be correct. According to Statute, procedural law, and case law I have a very different conclusion with regards to public entity.

all of the above are significantly different when they are put to the test for exemption of property (and other) taxation in this State as well.

Generally speaking, when discussing the "bundle of sticks" that make up your rights in property, the rights of public domain are one of those sticks that a private property owner is only able to loosely grasp. In a former job assignment, with a former employer, I frequently had to endure the posturing of legal counsel on both sides as they debated the merits of an property owner's application for exemption...

(in addition to the jack of all trades assignments, and training I've had for the past two decades, I remain a Certified Level 3 Property Tax Assessor, level 4 being the highest. To attain Level 4, if so inclined, I need only finish writing the equivalent of a thesis, and sit for an oral exam - it's a trade I'm really trying to not get fully re-engaged in however)

Impressive. Then you are certainly more qualified than I to address that. Point taken and I stand corrected.

Thanks!
AGoodBuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > Politics, Government, or Religion Chat

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:49 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright 2000 - 2012, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Page generated in 0.18434 seconds with 39 queries