Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

Need a new cooler...what to buy?

5K views 30 replies 14 participants last post by  Muttly 
#1 ·
I am sick of my 25$ el cheapo that doesn't hold ice very long. I would like a Grizzly but they are out of my budget. Looking for 70-100qt size....max budget of about 150$. My primary concern is ice retention...would like something that will hold for 2-3 days. Cooler will be used for wheeling trips when we camp....typically 3-4 days....it will be left at camp so size isn't a factor.

What's the best value/dollar?

#3 ·
Depends on how well people pack coolers. You put warm beverages in a cooler and fill with ice, do the same with already cooled beverages, which will hold ice longer?

My $.02 is that the guy with the low rating does not know how to pack a cooler to stay cold for long periods of time.

My guess would be to go with an igloo or Coleman. Marine cooler would probably be fine. Keep it in the shade and closed... if you're not going to open it for a long time, you can tape it shut, or something else to help seal of it worries you.

#4 ·
I always buy all my supplies ahead of time and put them in the freezer / refrigerator to get them cold. My thinking was the same as yours on the guy with the low review

#5 ·
Start using blocked ice instead of cubes. With my Coleman Marine (which is white so it reflects the heat) I put two frozen milk jugs in it, load it, and then bag cubes for mixed drinks. Besides lasting longer, the milk jugs will keep you from having a cooler full of water ruining food items.

#6 ·
X2 We always use a gallon of of frozen water or 2 and some weekends it's still partially frozen on Sunday

#20 ·
I like this suggestion. One of the problems I have with milk jugs is that they tend to split when you freeze them. To avoid it I fill it part way, freeze, add more, freeze, etc... A stronger soda bottle might help.

Nice thing with jugs is that if you get them real clean, as the ice melts, you get a nice supply of ice cold water.

#16 ·
For the cost of the high end coolers, why not buy a 12 volt fridge/freezer? No ice to deal with so you can pack more in a smaller place and everything is as xoold as you want it. Ice cream on the trail on a 100 degree day? No problem. I love mine.

#18 ·
Most of the 12v coolers that i know of will only maintain a temperature of something like 45 degrees below the air temperature, so on a 100 degree day your ice cream would be a nice 55 degree soup. Unless you get the ARB version that works a little differently I think, but they start at like $900...
I use a marine cooler with the milk jug or block ice method for camping.

#28 ·
Most of the 12v coolers that i know of will only maintain a temperature of something like 45 degrees below the air temperature, so on a 100 degree day your ice cream would be a nice 55 degree soup. Unless you get the ARB version that works a little differently I think, but they start at like $900...
I use a marine cooler with the milk jug or block ice method for camping.
I didnt say 12v cooler. I said 12v fridge/freezer. They can easily keep things well below freezing in any temp. They are insulated well to and are very energy efficient.

Mine is a 43 quart size. I have set the temp at 25 degrees running off my vehicle for 4 days in the middle of the summer. It kicks on and off just long enough to maintain temps and has a low voltage shutoff to prevent your battery from being completely drained. It also is capable of both 12v and 110.

The well known brand is ARB but they are almost $1000. Mine is an Edgestar. They can be picked up for under $500. If you keep an eye on them they have sales all the time for much less. Expo forums has a lengthy thread about these with great reviews. I love mine.

http://m.compactappliance.com/FP430-Compact-EdgeStar-Portable-Refrigerator-Freezer/FP430.html

#21 ·
I have an igloo brand cooler that holds 145 cans, can't recall how many quarts. I routinely use it for 4 day trips, it sits in the bed of my black truck underneath a black tonneau cover. I typically have to refill it with ice from the party store once during a trip. I have no complaints, I bought it at the walmarts or kmarts and it says "Made in USA" on the bottom of it. Houston TX to bexact.

#24 ·
The ice melting and the cold water surrounding your food keeps it colder than frozen milk jugs and 2 liters will do.

I do a combination of both we buy gatorade in powder form and make up milk jugs of it, freeze it, and put all of our food in tupperwear containers and then add ice over top of the whole shebang.

We also freeze all of our meats that we take with us, so it stays colder that way as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.