Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

Mesick Michigan

8K views 51 replies 16 participants last post by  jeepguy74 
#1 ·
Anyone ever go riding on the washout on M115? They also have a short 4x4 course on the corner of 115 and 31, its short but put together very well.

#3 ·
first question, is the washout on private land? if so do you have permission to run it? if it is on public property then can you traverse it with a 2 wheel drive conventional motor vehicle? if not than you are violating the 2 wheel drive law on public lands!

2nd question, are you wanting to trail ride in that area and help with a project that needs completing this month? if so contact Trailfanatic or see this thread http://glfwda.org/forum/showthread.php?t=2905

a group of us just spent this past holiday weekend helping out with it and Pat Brower, aka Trailfanatic could use some more people in that area that are willing

#5 ·
and the washout you're refurring to is off limits, the dnr have watching that particular area as it's been a heated debate with the C.J.'s, the mushroom hunters diverted a stream into the trail to keep potential harvesters out.

#6 ·
I knew the cadillac jeepers ran that course and I usually go out with them actually I have never went without them. As far as the washout, it was a guy that works at the marathon not the bp who told me to check it out. I never found it, all I saw on M115 was a bunch of driveways. Is it on private property? Are we allowed to wheel on it?

#7 ·
After you contact the Cadillac Jeepers , Post a day you would like to try out the course and some of us from the Cadillac Jeepers could meet you there and wheel with you. We will just have to let Mr. Ellen know that were there. I could go up for a day myself. I like the rock pile even though it bangs up the underside of my Jeep.(ALOT).

#12 ·
We are riding out at Ellen's for a trail ride around noon, then the meeting and food will at Jeff and Mary Summer's house. It's bring a dish to pass + whatever Mary is going to cook. Call Julie and she can give you directions if you need them. By the way this is snowman.

#18 · (Edited)
Exactly.
During the blessing we learned from the town board that the town of Mesick made more money in that one day than they did during the entire week of the mushroom festival. Get the trails open and more "little" towns will flourish as well. Close them and watch the towns dwindle.

#19 ·
that is why snowmobiling is so welcome in the northern communities. i dont believe the u.p. falls in the 2 wheel drive catagorie though?? so you must drive to the u.p. to use your 60. i believe that is still mi right?

#22 ·
At the ORV advisory meeting they kept pointing out that they need to keep the 3000lbs trucks and jeeps off the trails for safty reason do to their size compaired to ATV,s When I mentioned that WE most often are only doing 5- 15 mph on the trails and the ATV's are doing 30+ how are we the unsafe ones. And that the only reason a ATV was ever ran over by a truck is : The ATV came around a corner at 30 and ran into the slow truck. They quickly wanted to change the subject and move onto discussing the building of more 24 and 50 inch trails.
I agree that GL4WDA is do a great job ,But you dont have to JOIN them to voice up if you dont want to. You can still go to the ORV advisory board meeting on Nov.7 th in lansing at the Holliday Inn on west Saginaw. Fill out the comment card and get you 3 minutes to talk. The more Jeep and truck owners we can get to go to the meeting the better chance they will start lissening. The board is made up of ATV supporters and are hell bent on excluding us. They figure 2 to 4 years just in the paper work for the 1300 miles of new ATV trails. The only real way to get 4wd areas as it is , Is to apply for a grant to develope a nonprofit scramble ares that you must maintain with the grant money. You dont have to be a big club or org. to do this . You just have to go threw the process with the state. Then wait for all the bull crap studies to take place. Makeing plans as we speek. Everone who can please go to the next board meeting. I'm going and if some want to meet in Harrison and ride down with me I have room for 5 to go. I will post about it when it gets closer.

By the way Hi (Dave)

#33 · (Edited)
Especially one that has been around since 1969 and is recognized as the only voice in Michigan for the Fulsize crowd.

Sounds like someone beleives this statment is not self centered!!!

Ding, Ding, Ding, You are a winner,..........that why you need to get involved with GLFWDA and help out.

and this one misleads people to think they HAVE to join to help out!!
When it it would be helpfull for them to join but they can help on there own if they have the right info. Like where and when board meetings are and where to find the info. Like myself and a few others been doing.

I spent MY momey to drive 120 miles to go to the meeting and didnt pay myself or for my fuel out of any fund to see what was going on with the trail system. I also have offered to drive down and let who want to share the ride go with me at MY expence so if someone wanted to go but couldnt swing the gas expence would beable to go. I again say that everyone can join your ORG if they want to and then we will still only have ONE voice for the board to lissen to. How about your ORG. and 100 other people at the meeting. Such as club members and indeviduals. Even some non wheelers like HUNTERS who may need 4wd to get down that one trail to their favorite huntring spot without the worry of getting a ticket. If you feel that the only way that the trail systems will change and new 4wd trails will be opened is by your ORG. itself than yes self centered. As for my age Looks like I'm old enough to think out side your box so I must be pretty darn old.

I will go to the meetings and let everyone who can't go that I run across know whats going on. I didnt see any post anywhere from you about the last meeting. Oh!! maybe on your web site. I know alot of people who dont even know you exist because they wheel but not in a club or take part in any online forums. Wake up we need to let these people know whats happening as well.

Now If we can agree that All the help we can get will do more than bickering
I will be at the next meeting with as many people who can make it. I am still talking to people and trying to get them to go. I tell someone to go look at the DNR web site and read the ORV board agenda and minute at least 3 times a week. The sad thing is non of them know it exist. By the way how many people on here know that there is even a PUBLIC meeting on this. How many know when the next one is. Or new before My post. Just trying to help out.
So here once again for those who want the info.
http://http://michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7-153-39002_22654---,00.html

When you read this the 1300 miles of trails they talk about is nearly all 24 and 50 inch trails with the proposed useing of some of the forest roads to connect trails to make loops. and the making of new trails for ATV's to keep them away from the full size vehicles so the trails are SAFER. The mentioned several time that there was a need to make sure the ATV's were safe by getting them NEW trails away from the 3000lbs vehicles. What a way to justify the makeing of a new ATV trail and not a 4wd trail. The main Prob in my opinion is that one can drive on a larger trail but not on a smaller trail ( 24 inch may ride 50 , 72" trails and forest roads /// 50 inch can ride 50 and 72 and forest roads but not 24" /// 72" JEEP TRAILS if you fit I'm 78" and will get a ticket if the DNR officer is in a bad mood. can only ride them and seasonaland forest roads. So the making of New 72" 4wd trails will interfere with there plan to sepperate the vehicles. Once they build 4wd trails for us to 4w on the bikes and the quads will be happyas heck to play on them as well. Thuss putting the more Dangerous (acrording to the ORV board) PA300 vehicles in the path of ATV's again. Getting 4wd trails open is going to be a steep uphill battle and we need all the help we can get, Members to clubs ORG's, hunters and private public as well .

Now do you understand or do we need a longer helpfull post with more information on what people can do . Or wait maybe a GL4x4 thread for posting on the subject for questions and answers. That would be a Great Idea. With updates from who ever attends meeting or talks to the DNR or the board. If someone gets troubled by the DNR and have info on whats being done in there area they can post it up.

Example: Dont try to go to Mallory hill on M-18 and more in Rosscond county. Between Meridith and Houghton Lake. They have installed gaurd rails and logs. They watch it daily.Its not worth the trill of great hill climbing.. Though this would be a great possible scramble area if a OREG. wanted to make one or if someone wanted to form a non Profit ORG to do this. Fill out all the paper work go to the meeting apply for a grant wait for the state and make a scramble area. I would help out . This is most likly one of our last resorts.
The Haskill lake area in leota was brought to the DNR's attention last weekend when a truck tryed to cut the corner on the lake (Illegal wheeling) and put their truck out in the lake. A wrecker was called and they had to call the DNR. So I wouldnt go near the north end of Haskill lake anymore. I would bet by the end of fall it will be blocked off. This is what could be great on such a thread.

Thanks for your time again and dont kill the messanger.

#35 ·
It's nice to see you getting involved and more informed. The problem as I see it is that your delivery is that "you" have "discovered" this new thing and are suddenly the expert on this.

No one on this board announces the meetings? Seems to me I see Brewman and Yetti post it up almost every time. Others don't do it because they do.

No one has heard of the organization? Take a look at the home page of the forums. The top line of the 4x4 land use has a sticky about GLFWDA. If they don't know about it, it is because they just browse over the top of it.

Spending money out of a fund to travel to a meeting? This comes up frequently with people seeming to have a hard on about it. Currently that is not being done but the issue was this: We as an organization "demanded" that someone from the organization be there to represent the organization and be informed. In many cases people are not able to attend for a variety of reasons. (work, cost, family, etc) So, we said if we are going to be a land use advocasy group, we can at least cover the cost of the gas to attend the meetings. Should I expect someone else to spend their money to represent me when I can't make it or don't have the money to spend. Doesn't seem to me a big deal.

If I or our group asked you to attend a meeting on our behalf, who wouldn't say "I'll chip in for gas"?

Don't have the money to join? Bullshit! If you buy a pop every day out of a vending machine, the bottle yo throw away will pay for your membership. So will the outrageous price you pay for the vending machine versus buying the pop/ water in bulk.

Dinner and a movie once a month? Skip a month and you payed for it. A tank of gas in your jeep? Skip one day of wheeling per year and you payed for it.

Rent 10 movies per year at $3.50? Watch CNN instead.

I can go on and on about ways to fund a $35 annual cost. The bottom line is that you will spend the money if you feel it is worth it. You won't if you don't. It's all about priorities.

Once again, I commend you for wanting to get involved but don't be so quick to go on the attack. Most of the people in the organization have a wealth of information if people will just ask.

As for the age thing, not sure why you avoided it. I am 50 and have been a member since 1979.

Jim

#37 ·
I said alot of the people Not on line or in a group dont know you exist please read again. And no not an expert but I also seen only 3 other people at the meeting not with the GL4WDA and it would be more than helpfull if others knew what was going on. As for helping our cause At the meeting when I asked about the reasoning why they feel the full size vehicles are the unsafe ones and if they keep everything closed to 4wd activity what are they going to do with the loss of sticker sale money to pay for the trail system NOT A ONE OF THE GL4WDA MEMBERS said a word and just let it pass as the board quickly wanted to change the subject back to the new ATV trails. Yes it was my first meeting and if you didnt go you have nothing to say about it for you dont have a clue on whats going on your self.. I only stated that people can help out without joining if they dont want to. Every time the issue is talked about you say join join thats all great but dont discuage the ones that dont want to. Give them the info to help on their own thats all I started to say . You know some people dont want to join groups and yes some people dont feel they have the funds for joining clubs. Even though its only 35.00. If you think people cant afford or dont want to spare it well they dont. I now of a few that want to go to the meeting that can only go if someone elses drives and pics up the gas. Their wheelin trips maybe once a month and they struggle to do that. Myself I use driving around in the woods and going to trail rides a a cheep family weekend. I can put $ 20 in the jeep a cooler full of snacks and be gone all day. As for the expence of going to the meetings It will be figured into my bills at the first of the month and if I have to I'll miss a day or weekend or trail riding to save the money to go. I have alot of things on my plate right now and this is a big issue to me. I go to the trails almost every weekend so yes Ican help if I choose and so can they on are own. Not in one of my post have I said your ORG is not a great thing I posted every time that it was a good thing butthelp is welcome as members or NOT.

I'm done with this subject like it or not.
So quit condeming me and get back on the subject at hand.

I will be at the next trail ride and will bring my little box of spare stuff. We used some at the last one .Any Ideas of what else we may need. Last time we used 2 wheel studs and two wheel nuts off my jeep ,some black tape. and I will have more tools too.What size did you need for that clutch bleeder again. LOL Donnie got some zipp strips from I beleive Don for his fan, 2 drywall screws we only needed 1 but someone dropped the first one. I ruined two shirts and a pair of pants working on mine and others jeeps. but thats part of the fun. I still have rear end grease from Donnies rear axle under my nails. Hope to get a new fuel pump in this weekend and be ready for next weekend too. We built a few trails at work that are quite fun. I want to make it up the on. I tryed yesterday but the fuel pump wasnt agreeing. Plus I needed to air down again, Dont want to snap anouther axle.
Had a great time with the last run and enjoyed leading yous around

#39 ·
the problem is from what i se is that the focus is on making new atv and motorcycle trails and closing down the jeep trails to do so....it is total BS that the jeeps are the dangerous ones and from what i see is the atv's are the ones who are cutting new trails and giving us a bad name!!!!
proove me wrong i want to see jeep trails open but at this point all i see is trails closing

#40 ·
I know some of you have been wheeling on the powerlines off Hodenpyle rd in Mesick ;)

I was mountain biking up there the other day and there was lots and lots of fresh tracks..

Also, someone from Cadillac told me that the jeeperz from there sort of fell apart due to someone embezzling money. Is this true?

#48 ·
i have been wondering about the orv area in leota. my dad has a contract from my uncle to rebuild some oil well sites and tank batteries over there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.