Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

Winch Issues

2K views 21 replies 9 participants last post by  ajmorell 
#1 ·
I finally got around to installing my winch (Engo E9000s) but I'm having some issues getting things to work right. Hoping someone may have some advice before I contact Engo.

I hooked up everything per the instructions provided. With the Jeep running at idle if I press in on the controller it kills my Jeep. Revving it to 3k barely keeps it running and the winch barely spools rope in. Initially I thought maybe my battery couldn't support the load, but after it dies it fires right back up like nothing happened. The other oddity is that the positive cable running from the winch to the battery gets really hot. Like hot enough to melt the insulation. I'm out of ideas and a bit frustrated. Anyone think of anything obvious I'm overlooking? Alternator is a brand new 130A unit also.

#15 ·
Not sure what you mean. Red to postive, black to negative. When I redid my wiring I used mil-spec terminals (like these: http://www.sierraexpeditions.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=1010), the lugs from the winch cables are attached via the clamp screw on the terminals.
I meant the mechanical connection.

On mine I have a marine dual purpose battery. The battery cables go to the lugs on the battery while the winch cables connect to the 3/8" threaded lugs.

#11 ·
It's always best to have both positive and negative cables going directly to the battery.
If you ground to the chasis, it has to ground through the frame, and any ground cables to find it's way back to the battery to complete the circuit. Finding resistance all along the way.
What you most likely have going on, is a miss wired solenoid (it is a China made nock-off). Check your wiring diagram that came with the winch. Or better yet, google a Warn diagram. The colors may be different, but all the wires need to go to the same locations.
Is also possible to have a short in your remote ( it's trying to go in and out at the same time). Do a continuity check on the remote.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.