Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

Washed motor, fried something!

2K views 27 replies 13 participants last post by  rinking 
#1 ·
Haveing some issues with the 5.7 vortec in my jeep! I washed the mud out from under the hood a couple weekends ago! Drove my rig out to my pole barn and parked it for the week. Went to drive it up town last weekend and when I try to go down the road it spits and sputters. Sitting in neutral, it will rev fine, but when you put it in gear and put a load on it, the sputtering begins! It will start, and idle fine. I just went out and started it and shut the lights off in the shop. I see a little bit of arching on the coil! I'm thinkin i'll start with a new coil! Any other good idea's? It's got new rotor, plugs, wires. the motor came out of a 98 chevy pick-up. Help, please!!!

#2 ·
if you have been in the mud and got it on the plug wires just spray them down with some silicone spray while its turned off. do not do it running. it uses propane and is flammable while in the air. I used to carry a can when snow plowing. once in a great while I would get into light mud and splash it up on my wires. if there any mineral in the dirt like salt or others stuff it will short the wires. dunno why but the spray helps. if it cure yours I suggest a better grade of wires if its a regular to the mud.

#4 ·
I dont go purposely mud bogging, but I do charge a few mud puddles from time to time! I got the plug wires at Autozone, I think they are Duralast. Not top of the line, I know! I would'nt think I should be seeing any spark around the coil, witch I am!

#6 ·
buy it all new acdelco shit and then listen to it purrrr. i dont know why but mine runs like shit unless its got delcos. just a gm thing i guess

#9 ·
as an example I once had a battery fall into the fan on my car. it wasn't tied down and the case got a tiny hole in it. I didn't think much of it at the time. by the time I got home the car was running like crap. I thought I had blown a head gasket it ran so bad. I said screw it and tore off the heads and redid both head gaskets in about 7-8 hours with hand tools. by the time I went to restart it. it was now dark out. as I tried to start it the whole top of the distributor lite up with a blue halo. I couldn't get it to run any better then it had before the heads were pulled. I turned it off and sprayed it down the wires with silicone. it took right off and ran. no blue halo. come to find out I had just enough dirt and battery acid to short the whole ignition system out and the wires were like new. I have since saved myself many times over remembering this and it works well. its one the first things I try on stuff that doesn't run right with no solid explanation.

#10 ·
Still haveing trouble! Sprayed cap and wires with silicone, no change. Checked spark on all plugs, good. Changed fuel filter. sprayed intake with carb cleaner to check for intake leak, no change in idle speed. swapped maf sensor and tps sensor off my buddys truck, no change. Last time it threw a code, (maf sensor input low), and (#4 cyl. missfire). That was before I swapped out the maf sensor. It's really starten to piss Me off! I just might have to break down and take it to a shop with a computer. It's makeing a weird chirping sound on the front of the motor, can't figure that out either! Sometimes It seems to run ok, other times I have to jack the throttle off to keep it going. Any more idea's! Maybe a bad ground?

#14 ·
Last time I had issue like that it was my O2 sensor. I know that that diagnosis doesn't seem to fit given the wet engine. I would think ignition specifically the cap and rotor. But My old truck has bad O2 and would idle fine but put any load on it and it hogged right down.

X2 on the Delco parts

Please report back what you find....

#18 ·
Well I found out I have the old problematic injectors! I talked to Jim at Jims performance and told him My issues and he asked what injectors I have. Sounds like I'm going to have to buy the new style! Whats another $320 anyways! Wifes pissed! I'll keep ya all posted.

#19 ·
New injectors, didn't help! Did compression test, 140-145 in all 8. did a fuel pressure test, When I turn the key on to cycle the fuel pump it spikes to 60 psi and then drops to 55 psi. When the motor is running it stays around 51-52 psi! My book says 60-66 psi. Is My pump on its way out?

#21 ·
I think I can forget the water issue! This started back in the beginning of May! When I had a shop diagnose it, they told Me I wasn't getting fuel to no. 4 cylinder. Ok, new injectors go in it! Now I'm thinken valves arn't working! Am I on to something? When it comes to the heads, thats where I turn stupid!

#24 ·
The oil squirts are not an issue as some shoot like hell. you should adjust the valves while your there. if you don't know how here it is...

1. remove cover (install splash clips over squirt holes)
2. start engine
3. using a socket wrench with an extension loosen one rocker at a time.
4 as soon as it starts to "Clatter" stop and tighten till it quits. Then slowly tighten back down another approx. 3/4 to 1 turn. ( it will stumble and idle rough for a second or two till it leaks down the lifter).
5. do the rest making sure it idles correct after ever pair is adjusted. once done check your oil returns for debris.
6. re install the covers. wash engine down with soap and water as needed :poke:

#25 ·
Two weeks ago a friend had this exact same issue with a cylinder running dry. Noid light verified that we had injector pulse at the injector. Changed around two injector wires and it still wasn't spraying. Took the rail off, swapped two injectors around, and that cylinder was still running dry. It took us 9 hours to figure out that the fuel rail had a big hunk of something that was wedged down in the port preventing fuel from getting to the injector. We flushed out the rail and couldn't believe all the crap that was in there. Cut open the fuel filter, and it was clean as could be. The engine was in a camaro, and it was pulled from the camaro and put into his jeep within two months, so he has no idea where this debris came from.

#26 ·
I had the same thing happen to a 97 vortec, Changed everything, did the same thing you did, I changed my fuel filter and it got a little better. Changed the fuel pump and she runs great. It was wierd at an idle or free reving no trouble, put it under a load and it would spit and miss. I was just about to get rid of it when I figured I had this much money in new parts. Figured I would put a little more into it and it fixed the trouble.....Could be the pickup under the rotor in the distbutor as well. This worked for me and just my two cents and should not be taken for anything more then that.

#27 ·
I'm leaning towards lifters! I checked fuel preasure, turn key on to cycle pump and i got 60 psi then it drops to 55 psi. When I start the motor it runs at 51-52 psi. I'm gonna take it somewhere to get it fixed! I need this thing running for the 4th! I'll let you guys know what it is. I won't be one of those guys that never finishes the thread, I hate that!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.