Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

That greasy feeling...

6K views 46 replies 19 participants last post by  firehawk 
#1 ·
Since buying my 02 Powerstroke in July i have discovered 2 things. One is that I'm in love now with diesels, I cant imagine ever buying a gasser again. The other is I f'ning hate paying the ridiculous price of fuel. So logically im only left with a few solutions; keep takin in up the butt at the pump, get an aux. tank and run on the red stuff, or get dirty and get a wvo(waste vegitable oil)setup. Over the last few weeks ive been doing some light reading, going over each companies setups and looking for positives and negatives. Pretty much ive settled on Dino fuel alternatives Vegistroke kit. By far this looks like the cleanest, and easiest to use kits out there.

Just curious to know if anyone out there is running on grease? What do you do for your pre filtering/collection and inital transport, how much do you store at home, what are your overall impressions. I probably wont do this conversion will the spring, do to the initial cost of the kit but figure the cost in fuel saving will easily make up for the large startup costs.

#2 ·
I feel your pain! I have also been thinking about doing this, but I unfortunately don't know enough about it yet. I am glad you started this thread, I will be watching closely to see what people have to say.

#4 ·
did a little reading on Dino's web site. This is confusing, although it would be awesome!

"However the miles per gallon of diesel used will go up to between 50-80mpg in town and upwards of 300 miles per gallon of diesel used on road trips."

#5 ·
Of Diesel is the key part of that sentance. Take into account the time it takes for WVO to heat up before you can switch over to it, and the OP is saying that longer trips is the larger pay off. Essentially you should only be running diesel when you are waiting for the warm up.

Skoot, why aren't you considering bio diesel? I also agree that it is the most practical solution.

#9 ·
Any place that cooks food commercially and has deep fryers also has tanks out back to dispose of the grease. They pay for the service so often you are able to get Waste Veggie oil from these places for free or possibly a small cost.

You can also use raw veggie oil, however it has been said that WVO is more efficient because the water content has already been 'cooked' out.

#8 · (Edited by Moderator)
ok, GM what are your opinions on wvo as an alternative fuel? What should I use as a pre filter system, siphon pump or a centrifugal system? How many micron should i filter too? Do you recommend a plastic or steel drum for the initial transportation vessel and should i use a tank wrap? Being that you are are superior then I am as a person your input is greatly needed.

#10 ·
I think it's a great idea for alternative fuel. It's just another thing to add on the to do list though, and it's difficult to have the room to handle all of the equipment.

I would go with the simplest system with everything else. I'm assuming a siphon pump would be simpler than a centrifugal system. I would use the most cost effective filter, because obviously a better filter will cost more money.

I'd use plastic drum, then you won't have to worry about rust. Not sure about the tank wrap.

Depending on how you refine it you may actually have to still use diesel fuel to start the engine, and then switch to the biodiesel, and make sure you switch back before shutting off. This may be with straight veggie oil only, but something to check though.

Now, why are your panties in such a fucking bunch?

You've been here how long and are now starting to complain about people being dicks in serious threads? Lighten up.

#20 ·
as an employee of a 4x4/truck shop your supposed to talk weak minded individuals into buying expensive things. Dont go into sales, you suck:finger::sonicjay:

#23 ·
It's an interesting thought for sure as long as the supply remained easy. One of the true beauties of diesel is how many variants of fuel they can run. May be completely unfounded, but I do feel better having diesel vehicles with our ever changing times.

#28 ·
I think the reason you see them in the cars the most is due to the fact that the cars get good gas mileage. Typically the people that had been doing this up to this point were greenies and they wanted the most earth friendly.

Now with prices up surely you will drive by a diesel and catch a smell that makes you think of french fries.

#29 ·
The problem you are going to run into eventually is that waste oil of any kind has value to large recyclers. Traditionally, they have been paid to take the waste oil. However, as demand goes up and people realize that they have a valuable commodity, the price for it will go up. Most restaurants have a signed contract for waste oil disposal and do not have the authority to give you waste oil. Eventually veggie oil could be recycled by companies for sale to the general public. You really, really need to understand where the market is going before you spend a lot of time and money on a WVO system. I don't see sources drying up over night, but over the next 5 years, it could become pretty hard to find. Just think of the risks vs. your initial investement. It could work out to be some pretty expensive veggie oil if you can't find a supply for the long term.

#30 ·
You are right that it could, however all the above is speculatory and with prices on the commodity markets (petro) dropping one could also speculate the opposite.

I suspect it wouldn't take long to pay for your investment with WVO so even if things changed, you would have the ability to do what the market dictated.

#31 ·
my thinking is this, the setup from DFA costs around 3500, including a 50 or 60 gal heated tank, add in another 500 or so for filters and transpo equipment and my total cost would run 4k. with diesel at $4 a gallon it costs me 100-120 to fill up. usually i fill up once a week, so theres about 400 a month on diesel. if my math is correct in theory i could earn back that 4k in less then a year.

I realize many large business's, like your large fast food chains are under contract for their used oil, however hittin up smaller resturants is the perfered way to go. probably u have to start with small amounts of oil then as they see your comitment they may be willing to cancel their contract and allow you to take the oil. it all depends on the business and their business practices...

#34 ·
You also need to figure in the length of your typical commute. Mine is about 25 minutes. SVO just isn't practical for that. If it takes 10 minutes to get the SVO up to temp and you have to switch back to dino diesel 5-10 minutes before you arrive, I would be able to use WVO for all of maybe 5-10 minutes each trip. That would save me such a small amount of diesel that it would take forever to off-set the expense of the kit.

#35 ·
Details Name Unit Price Quantity Total Select
DFA-9407VG Vegistroke Turn Key System $2775.00 $2775.00
Vehicle Year: - 2000 7.3 - -
Tank: - 60gn Toolbox Combo(19hx20dx57w) $1050.00 $1050.00
Transmission: - Manual - -
Vegistroke Pressure gage kit: - Autometer Fuel level, fuel pressure and dual overhead gage kit $175.00 $175.00
Grand Total: $4000.00 Delete
Continue Shopping Update Totals

This is what I'm looking at for my Stroke skoots . . . . . same with your??

#36 ·
Details Name Unit Price Quantity Total Select
DFA-9407VG Vegistroke Turn Key System $2775.00 $2775.00
Vehicle Year: - 2000 7.3 - -
Tank: - 60gn Toolbox Combo(19hx20dx57w) $1050.00 $1050.00
Transmission: - Manual - -
Vegistroke Pressure gage kit: - Autometer Fuel level, fuel pressure and dual overhead gage kit $175.00 $175.00
Grand Total: $4000.00 Delete
Continue Shopping Update Totals

This is what I'm looking at for my Stroke skoots . . . . . same with your??
yep, 100% same kit. Only thing im not 100% sure of is the home filtration setup, seen a few designs out there, just gotta decide which one is best.

#44 ·
i personally know of 3 people that run veggie oil in their powerstrokes and one guy that runs it in his benz
they strain it and run it in the summer months

only downside i was told was more frequent filter changes but no expensive wvo setup
take it for what its worth
personally if i could get a hook up on bio i would buy it in the 100-500 gallon varieties
i know about 6 or 7 people that would buy it from me if i got into making it
alot of these waste oil places are not giving the oil away for free anymore and the majority of them already have 5 guys taking what they give away or charge for
i would strongly suggest finding a source first and start storing it before dropping 4 k on a set up

#47 ·
Is it possible to run waste motor oil in a diesel?

I just picked up an oil burner for my garage and have been reading about what fuels can be used.

Waste motor oil

Waste veggie oil

HHO

Kerosene

Biodiesel

These can all be used in the furnace and I wonder if the same about a diesel engine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.