Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

Re-Registering Pistols from Out of State?

4K views 48 replies 24 participants last post by  Bullhed78 
#1 ·
Turned 21 deployed, returned to Texas and now I own some handguns that were all legally purchased here in Texas.

When I move back home to Michigan in the next few months will I have to re-register these pistols with the state of Michigan using Purchase Permits?

How does that work?

#2 ·
They have changed the laws quite a bit recently. I know you can mail in the paper work from a purchase that was made in MI. If I was in your shoes I would just take the pistols (unloaded & in a case of course) to your local Michigan PD with any paperwork you currently have for them. They should be able to help you out. I would not think it should be a problem for them to issue you the proper papers.

#4 ·
Agree with Derek, if they are already registered in your name, they are in the national database as yours. Good to go.

But you could call the Rochester PD to make sure.

#5 ·
I just moved to Michigan from another state. How do I register my firearm(s)?

Follow previous instructions on "How to Obtain a Permit to Purchase a Firearm"

That's from the Oakland County Sheriff's website.

I was hoping someone here could answer it before I tie up a line interrogating some poor clerk :sonicjay:

#23 ·
First you have to be a Michigan resident . If you are or when you are just walk in to the local PD and ask for permits for how many pistols you need to register. Go home fill out the needed information on the permit application and return it to the PD. Just put your name in for seller and buyer . If they ask tell them you just move her and need to register them .
Real easy and straight forward.
Thanks for your service !

#27 ·
If you are moving into the state you fill in the normal form for a purchase and mark yourself as the seller. That is what I did when i moved into the state.

#32 ·
I don't see anything on here where you called and verified. I'd still call and verify. If you're going through the "standard" purchase permit process, you can only get 1 permit a day.

You'll probably follow the same process that CPL holders use to get their firearms registered.

#36 ·
There is no national gun database, as FlatFender has already pointed out. States handle the registrations. In Michigan it's the Michigan State Police.

I have just moved to Michigan from another state. How much time do I have to register my pistols?

MCL 28.422 Upon establishing legal residency, you should immediately contact your local law enforcement agency, pass the basic safety questionnaire, and complete a License to Purchase.

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(fe...leg.aspx?page=GetObject&objectname=mcl-28-422

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.