Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

Fenton restaurants

19K views 190 replies 42 participants last post by  bbaXJ 
#1 ·
What are the best food places in Fenton? I've heard of the French Laundry, but what I heard is its over-hyped. What else is around there and more importantly what's good and bad?

#8 ·
sage brush is a particularly average mexican place that offers gignudous portions. depending on the night, the food's actual quality is on par with or in the ball park with chipotle imho.

Fenton has its share of average chain restaurants.
Lucky's
Applebee's
Ruby Tuesday's
Bob Evans
Panera
BW3's (some put this place in below average food quality but drunken wings with lots of tv's places it higher for some)

Below average chains like:
Pizza Hut
Big Boy

Fast Food:
Culver's
TacoHell
McDonald's
Burgerking
Subway

Holes in the wall: (don't get me wrong it has a particular charm, but it's a hole in the wall)
Walden's Lounge

Decent Non-Chains:
Fenton House
Joe & Louies (hit or miss for us)
The Laundry
Bankok Peppers Too

If not one of the chains, we lean towards:
Fenton House - same vein as Highland House,
Bankok Peppers Too

Not sure if I would say the Laundry is "over hyped" - they source zingerman's breads/baked goods which has a decent regional reputation.

If you're looking for a 'special' / 'different' place drive ½ hour to White Lake to try The Root, or ½ hour to Brighton for Stillwater Grille imho. *shrug*

#7 ·
The fenton hotel has been good to me.

Lucky's steakhouse is good.

Sagebrush is yummy for the tummy.

I haven't stepped foot in the french laundry in a long time.

Fenton house still has the best breadsticks in town.

I have heard that whatever used to be T-Bonz over on Lake ponemah is under new ownership and has good food, but I have yet to go there myself.

Waldens has a good sammich

Luigi's cardboard shit pizza place closed up.

John's pizzaria has pretty good food/pizza.

Penalty Box has a few items that are decent, the rest is standard bar food quality.

BW's, Applebees, Panera, Ruby Tuesday, Bob Evans, Yaya's, etc. you know what you're getting.

Mega Coney Island isn't my favorite. I stopped going there.

The other coney island (can't recall the name) over on North Leroy by John's Pizza is much better in my opinion.

The thai food place in the fenton galleria mini mall is pretty decent, I think its called bangkok pepper.

Legend's on thompson road has average bar food, the last cheeseburger I had there wasn't awesome though. Their pizza is pretty decent but its been a while since I have had it.

Just down the road in Hartland I really enjoy Black Rock steakhouse at 23/59. $16.99 for the "standard" does the trick for me.

#12 ·
For whatever reason, Fenton House is not as good as the Highland House. They seem to have a different pizza sauce. Other dishes don't stack up quite the same either. The Fenton House is on my skip list.

I'll put in a second on Kickstand's recommendation to drive down to Hartland for Black Rock. That's become the go-to restaurant to take my wife on date nights (read: no kids in tow).

I like Sagebrush, but I don't think the food is as good as the wait. Not that the food is bad, but we have been there with wait times over an hour. If we go there, it's at off times.

I was very happy the day that my wife decided the Laundry wasn't worth it. It's no longer on her list of restaurants to hit, and I couldn't be happier.

The last time we were in the mega coney island, it was stock full of jail bait waitresses. To the point that the old lady at the table next to us was telling her husband to stop staring. lol.

After a few bad experiences, I have decided to not eat Chinese food from Fenton. Just like I won't eat strawberries if I didn't see the field they were grown in, and I won't eat seafood if I can't see the sea it came from.

#13 ·
We went to the Laundry and while a bit pricey the food was fantastic.
I had a steak, cooked perfectly. the wife had Sea Scallops, again cooked perfectly.
Wait staff was overly friendly.
My Brother lives in town and they know the Bar Tender pretty well, made some killer drinks.
Got to love a bar the doesn't had Makers Mark on the Bourbon list.

#24 ·
20 posts and no mention of Beale Street? Very good BBQ, nice atmosphere, good Michigan brews. It's behind the Sunoco station at North Rd and 23.

I'm a fan of Lucky's Steakhouse(good food and big portions), and Sagebrush is good for big portions of decent Mexican and beer. Lots of other pretty good places in the area, but those 3 are generally my go-to restaurants when in the area.

It'll be great once the Clarkston Union gets their place set up in the old firehouse. Any locals hear any updates on that lately? I didn't see any signs of activity the last few times I drove by.

#32 ·
They(the city) decided to add all kinds of expenses to the deal after the purchase agreement of the building. In the tune of millions, the union said "blow me" or something along those lines. This coming from the owner of the unions mouth...not third party...so unless the city drops their BS they aren't coming

#33 ·
they are slowly changing their name over to The Laundry.
good food. nice setting. great breads which they get from a local bakery about 4 blocks away. the bakery, cannot remember the name, is huge yet hand crafting. they too have a nice coffee shop with awesome bakery items including cake, cookies and pies.
the Fenton Hotel it also very good. not really a hotel any longer. excellent menu, service, food. perhaps a little pricey for many but worth the drive. prefer the atmosphere in the bar & grill v. the dining room.

http://www.lunchandbeyond.com/
http://www.fentonhotel.com/

#43 ·
weird, I just called him and he said the deal was never off and hancho didn't know shit.

I did call sagebrush too, they said they weren't gonna open until 11 today.

Also, there was a guy who was gonna buy a house but then he decided not to but I called him and that deal is back on too

#41 ·
great harvest is a chain/franchise. so their product is probably more uniform/stable - but agreed they are good. (I don't think they do bagels though do they?)

independents of whatever type of restaurant can have bad/good days. I've only been in Crust 2x and I wouldn't say they sucked - they were comparable to panera both times - but that is admittedly a statistically small sample size :p

#45 ·
fair enough.

my point about the chain/franchising is that most people are unaware of how precisely most franchisor's manage quality control of prepared food components and/or raw goods and processing in order to have a uniform product on their core offerings.

I know they are allowed some flexibility in their local recipes and even encourage customers to send in their own recipes.

I must have been pretty lucky the 2x I was in crust. but VG's has not horrible specialty breads if you can get a loaf fresh - we frequently buy their ceasar salads when entertaining, and to save time run an aisle over and grab a loaf of bread like their asiago to compliment the meal. it admittedly isn't as good as in a specialty bakery, but it's never been burnt, moldy, or full of foreign objects - just basic fresh bread - as such the intent is not to use it as the featured meal component :thumb:

#44 ·
As usual Hancho = Mr. Rong . And if this information came from your friends who know the owner then it IS third hand. The French Laundry gets their bakery items from The Crust which they also own. Fenton Hotel has great food and the best atmosphere in town for a pub type of setting. Sagebrush has the best fish tacos within 400 miles. Halo burger has the best burgers. French Laundry is for yuppie scum but they do have the best beer selection in town.

#46 ·
What do you know? It's all changed since you left.

Hancho is now always right and teamed up with Cerial to build bad ass stuff.

The Laundry dropped "French" to cater to ******** and only sell Natty Light from a pony keg in plastic cups, wine from boxes, and refer to all the soft drinks as coke. Sammich specials are all on white bread and they exclusively use miracle whip.

Fenton Hotel is rentable by the hour. Halo burger moved out of the back of rays into the burger king. You can't buy gas at the McDonalds.

It's cats living with dogs. You got out while the gettin was good.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.