Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

Project Cumdumpster

77K views 307 replies 108 participants last post by  p.o.r.n. 
#1 ·
My buddy and I just got done building up his '05 CTD. I put my Scrambler project on hold for a month so we could get this nailed out by Memorial weekend at the dunes, but we got screwed by Deaver and didn't get the rear leafs in time. Anyway, it's together now so here are some pics. I did all the custom design and fab, he did the other stuff like teardown and all that sh1t.

He had a nicely built '01 Sierra but got sick of blowing out the front end, didn't wanna solid axle it no matter how hard I tried to convince him, so he went for the upgrade. His old truck:

He got an '05 Ram 2500 CTD back in August, 5 days later it was up at the dunes for Labor Day weekend. It did great for a stocker but who wants a stock truck? He wanted to be able to haul across the dunes effortlessly at 60+mph and I wanted to make it happen. I talked him into a long travel suspension and 37s but he still wanted bigger. Then I found a great deal on some 40x13.5R20 XTerrains on here and it's been downhill ever since. Here's the specs:

-12" lift, all custom
-40" XTerrains on 20x10 KMC Diesels
-10" Full Throttle Coils, 12" travel Fox remote resi shocks, custom longarms and bracketry by BBA Fabworks
-8" Deaver leafs, 2" extended shackles, 14" travel Fox remote resi shocks, traction bar
-Axle trusses front and rear
-Drop pitman arm and sector shaft brace
-Custom trac bar and brackets
-Clocked t-case, new driveshafts, etc.
-A bunch of other little crap here and there

He's got a massive tuner, FASS, intake, stacks, and some other mods so it turns the 40s really well but it'll still get regeared before too long. It'd still blow most trucks out of the water.

We started on it the first weekend of May, got it on the road last Sunday.

How she sat the first afternoon

Stock coil next to new one and blingin shock

Then I figured I might as well blow a couple holes in the frame and start adding some reinforcement plates

Built up some adjustable UCA brackets out of 3/16" box and 1/4" plate

Then I had a cool picture in my head for the LCAs and tying everything together. Obviously beefiness is priority #1 but I can't just leave it looking plain either. I think the frame brackets turned out :rock:

I figure with an 8000 lb truck coming down on the front end some more reinforcement wouldn't hurt, and it makes it look a lot cleaner

The pics don't do it justice so far but oh well.

See less See more
#154 ·
I see your using the fox shox's with the resi's. i go to silverlake quite a few times in the summer and i like to go fast across the dunes and do some off roadin with my truck was wonderin if the fox shox's are worth the money compared to some of the other brands??? a little off topic but it looks like you have some useage with these shocks

#155 ·
As of Thursday night the truck is together and back on the road. Still a few minor things to wrap up but the major stuff is all set and turned out great. I'll post pics soon.

They work great, especially considering how heavy the front end is on these things. My Rancho RSXs that came on the truck sucked hardcore for the dunes and were destroyed FAST. I made some other improvements at the same time as the shocks but the difference is night and day.

#162 ·
We got this thing together and driving about a week and a half ago. It's freaking HUGE and there are still a few things to finish up but it looks and works great. We finished it at 2:30AM on a worknight and I haven't been around it in the daylight since so no completion pictures yet but I'll get them soon. The new 41" IROKs are definitely gonna do a number on the fenders and bumper but it looks mean as hell. We'll take care of that, and not by making it taller. I'm 6' tall and can walk under the side mirrors:sonicjay:

Hoops and gussets:

Removable crossbrace:

Panhard mounts:

Pretty nice steering geometry for a huge truck:

Not bad for a couple ******** in my parents' driveway :beerbang:

Completion pics to come soon. Unfortunately we won't get to test it hard till spring.

#164 ·
Sort of. Technically it's his only vehicle, but he has a work van he drives everyday to and from his job and his gf has a car they can use for a lot of stuff. Still, it gets far more use than most beasts like it....it was killing him to not get to drive it for 4 months.

#172 ·
Ummm it's been running and driving for a month and works great, I just haven't been around it in the daylight to get any pics.

#175 ·
Ummm not really, just need to get some pics to post one of these days. It works great, it just drove about 400 highway miles this weekend when we went Up North for New Years. Not sure if anybody will be able to see this pic since I'm linking it from facebook:

#181 ·
Not once so far....hasn't even been pulled over and its been that size for 15-20k miles

#184 ·
Took it wheeling at The Mounds on Saturday, had some fun and it did great:

Apparently there's still mud in February, it just takes 41" tires, 8000lbs, and 900 lb-ft to find it:

Then on the way out we got to a skinny spot between the deep ruts and the woods.....and the Cumdumpster is not skinny. Made it about 2/3 of the way before it started dropping into the ruts fast. There was no going back so we tried hammering through it. Almost made it but got hung on the diffs bad. The rut was over 3ft deep so it leaned over pretty far. When it first dropped in it unloaded and got really tippy but obviously it didn't go over. Neither of the passenger tires are touching the ground though, you could spin em by hand....doesn't look bad in the pics, like always

#190 ·
Hopefully you didn’t see it when he broke one of his Deaver leafs on the side of the road:teehee:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.