Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

Mustang idle problem/throwing codes/fuel smell

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Flexin' XJ 
#1 ·
00 v6 auto I have been having the code p0442 (small leak in evap system) go off lately. It seems to happen when Im at about 1/2 talk or less, then reset computer and refill tank, and it doesnt go on again untill about 1/2 tank or less... I just got a new gas cap, hoping to solve the computer problem. Well I havnt gotten down to 1/2 tank or less yet since the new cap so im not sure if ive solved the problem. I have noticed today at a stop sign my idle fell to about 400rpm then went up to 1000rpm then slowly went back down to 700rpm, its normal idle. After that episode it just ran like normal, untill i got home into my driveway and as i put it in park... maybe 30 seconds of just messing with crap in my car before i shut it off it did the same thing agian. I also noticed when i got out of the car, a raw fuel smell.... I popped the hood and sniffed around but i think it evaporated. ANY ideas?

Ive read around about cleaning my IAC or replacing my TPS but honestly do my seperate problems sound like they could be linked? maybe a vaccuum leak? Im not sure :poke:

#2 ·
My friend had a Sonoma that had some bad injectors in it. I do believe it idled weird and did stink of gas at times. As for the other sutff...:confused:

#3 ·
00 v6 auto I have been having the code p0442 (small leak in evap system) go off lately.
You need to check the fuel lines/hoses for a leak. There is a "smoke machine" that is used to test the evap system for leaks, but it's gonna cost you to have them do that.

#4 ·
Sounds like maybe a EVAP Vent Valve. GM has issues with them. Usually they get plugged up with dirt and mud and cannot close all the way. This causes the small leak.

EVAP leaks are determined by monitoring the pressure in the gas tank by the pressure sensor that is located on the gas tank. If the pressure loss is above a certain amount, then you will get the small leak code, if it is a larger loss, then you will get a large leak.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.