Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

F150 bogging out

3K views 18 replies 6 participants last post by  chevyk10 
#1 · (Edited)
I have a 95 F150 with the 5.8L 114k miles and every time I start it in the morning the idle drops to the point where it almost stalls out and barely stays running. As soon as you hit the gas it will even out and run fine again until it hits 15mph then bogs down so bad the truck won't move and it just about stalls out. Doesn't feel like a missfire but more like the injectors acting up. Put some seafoam in it the other day thinking it might help and now it runs even worse. Its been throwing codes for a faulty O2 sensor / EGR valve for a while and has an exhaust leak, but has never had any major problems running up until now. Would the EGR valve / O2 sensor getting worse over time cause these problems? Or could I possibly have an injector problem?

#3 ·
Its been throwing codes for a faulty O2 sensor / EGR valve for a while and has an exhaust leak, but has never had any major problems running up until now. Would the EGR valve / O2 sensor getting worse over time cause these problems?
Fix this first.

#6 ·
update

Ok so I just checked out the EGR and I can move the diaphram up and down just fine with a screw driver, and theres suction in the vaccume line, so that can't be the issue. Any other ideas? I've heard some people say the sensor goes bad sometimes on these so would that cause the EGR to have insufficient flow?

The motor started running real bad last night. Seems like at a cold start it runs fine for 10 minutes, then out of nowhere acts like its being flooded out and starts bogging way down and almost stalls out. You can even smell how rich the exhaust is.

#8 ·
If the computer says it is bad, it probably is. Poking things with screwdrivers is not practically applied diagnostics.

#9 ·
This is true lol, however I checked into it more after work and it seems that everything in the EGR valve itself seems to be working fine, yet I'm still getting DTC-332 "Insufficient EGR flow". Replacing the o2 sensor tomorrow and will see if that helps for now.

#10 ·
Those issues will not cause the problems you describe. I have disabled the EGR on 2 of my rangers. Try taking it off, make a gasket or a block plate with some exhaust gasket material. DONT cut the hole. Just the holes for the bolts then put it back on. As for the o2 sensors, they are just telling the truck to lean out or richen up. Again, not going to cause those problems. Is this motor the MAF or speed density? If MAF check the IAV (Idle Air Control Valve)

#14 · (Edited)
Looks to be a MAF so I will check that out tomorrow too. Here's exactly what the truck is doing...

Cold start up and drive it usually runs fine for about 5 minutes
Once I hit 10-15 mph after that it bogs down so bad it almost stalls, then when I hit the gas it takes off and runs fine again. Once its hits 35mph it will start to bog and almost stall out, then I hit the gas and it takes off again and runs perfect up until 45, then it does the whole thing over again. I've never seen this happen before so not sure whats causing it. It just keeps getting worse every time I drive it.

Edit: Compression should be good, the motor has been very weel kept its entire life with oil changes every 3k, and never ragged on.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.