Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

E-85

3K views 61 replies 31 participants last post by  94transam25th 
#1 ·
well I jumped the ship over to E-85 today :thumb:

stoped into auto zone and picked up a exter fuel filter and then ran over to Myjer to filled up my big pig with E-85 at $2.92 /gal that is cheeper than putting gas in my Taco

#12 ·
That seems like a lot of work that you could do by putting a programmer to your car or truck. I just switched back to an ethanol blend for my XJ. In Iowa we have something in between regular gas and E85. They list it as midgrade out here and charge $.20/gal less for it. So far I haven't seen a down side to it aside from a 2mpg drop in my highway driving.

#13 ·
well.... being a fuel engineer I get to dable in this stuff every day.... To run E-85, it takes much more then just putting a few wires in series with your injectors....

E-85 is a more corrosive fuel then gasoline. It will eat away at things such as certain plastics, level sender cards, electrical harnesses within the tank, hoses etc.... if you don't know what you are doing, and don't have the means to find out the details on your components, don't do it....

I have an E-85 Impala and I never run E-85. Why? cuase its roughly only $0.30 less here in the Detroit area then gasoline. It doesn't work out. When I first picked up the impala I ran 4 tank fulls of E85 to check out the mileage.... I would get roughly 50-60 miles less per tank then what I would with gasoline. However, in the Impala, as noted before, it checks for the alcohol level in the fuel and adjusts the timing accordingly....

Check ot these links...
http://www.eere.energy.gov/cleanciti...g.html#webcast - might not be present anymore.... basically was a guy from GM that went to the EPA and gave a rpeentation about a year ago about E85 and what manufactures do to certify their vehicles and... what E85 does to them...

http://theserviceadvisor.com/octane.htm

Bio-diesel on the other hand isn't quite as bad as wht can come with E-85 but it also has its issues....

One thing to note is that there is an open mandate that any gasoline that you use right now may contain E10, and they don't have to tell you. If it contains more then that they do. Unless you live in Minnesota, they have a mndate for E20, which I am lead to believe is actually more corrosive then E85.... thats what the whole cuntry was to goto but it was recently shot down, we will see if it gets passed on a retification soon....

#15 · (Edited)
So they LIE on this page? ... :thumb:

http://www.change2e85.com/servlet/Page?template=Myths

1. E85 Ethanol is corrosive

Yes ethanol is corrosive, but not very much. Gasoline is corrosive too. Ethanol is biodegradable in water. So it has a tendency to contain and attract water. It is not the corrosive properties of ethanol that can cause damage to your vehicle; it is the water which can rust a vehicle’s fuel system from the inside out. Today’s vehicles (since mid 1980s) have fuel systems which are made to withstand corrosive motor fuels and rust from water. Also today’s distilling processes are superior to way back when. We now have better techniques for drying out ethanol or reducing the water content.

On side note, gas contains water too. Ever hear of dry gas?

2. If I put E85 in my gas tank, it will eat it away.

If your car was built in the old days, it was had a lead coated, steel tank. The water in ethanol would cause the tank to rust from the inside out. The government mandated that all gas in the USA contain 10% ethanol to help reduce tail pipe emissions. In the 1980s, automakers made vehicles with fuel systems to be ethanol and rust tolerant. Gas tanks began to contain polymers and Teflon which are extremely durable.

6. E85 will eat my rubber fuel lines.

This is another myth from the old days. Rubber technology has significantly advanced so the concerns of a 20 year old car or newer having issues like this are extremely rare. Plus the 15% gas will help keep lines lubricated.

7. E85 will destroy my fuel pump.

E85 won’t destroy your fuel pump. If you convert a high mileage vehicle to Flex Fuel, the E85 will cause the sediment in the gas tank to dissolve and then get sucked up by the fuel pump. It is believed that this sediment may shorten the life of the pump of your higher mileage vehicle (100,000+). Fuel pumps are not expensive to replace. After thousands of conversion kits sold, we have had our first report of a failed fuel pump. The vehicle was a 1994 Audi with 200,000 miles on it. It was the original fuel pump. The owner blamed E85. His mechanic said it was just time. A fuel pump that lasted this long is impressive.

#36 ·
Understood, I am not arguing with you. Now Hag gar on the other hand is one of those that will argue anything to make himself look smart.

My interests would sit in an older vehicle like a 95 and I know that info is not going to come from a manufacturer but rather personal experience.
Not at all. I will talk cars all day long, sure. Because I design them for a living. Snicker if it makes you feel better. But last I looked, the OEMs pay me to design their cars, and pay you to rid their toilets of soup-can turds.

#39 ·
Not at all. I will talk cars all day long, sure. Because I design them for a living. Snicker if it makes you feel better. But last I looked, the OEMs pay me to design their cars, and pay you to rid their toilets of soup-can turds.
Yeah, sure. And I am God, so how would you like that heart attack?

So many smart people wish they really were someone "Special". :tonka:

#22 ·
In the big picture, yes, IMO. Because of what it takes to grow the corn (or sugarcage or hemp or whatever) to create the ethanol. Especially in 3rd world countries, they are slashing and burning to start up fuel farms. It also drives up the commodity price on corn.

#18 ·
My 14 yr old daughter is currently developing E45 in her school science class. Conversion kit involves 6 hamsters, 1 spool of 18 gauge wire, and a lock of Boggin Boys hair. It gets 2 miles to the gallon, and if you complain about it, it tells you to fuck off.

#24 ·
Filling up yesterday ($181 in Diesel) this old man next to me filling his 07-08 F250 Diesel blurts out " I hope the fkin Arabs choke on their god damn oil" I loled and asked him how much he was putting in.. "$30" he replied, "Fk em'" You show them old man :)

#29 ·
Overall, ethanol from corn is a load of bunk. It was pushed by the agriculture lobbyists and is nothing more than a hidden tax that is being used to put farmers back to work and to stimulate tractor and equipment sales to support growing corn. It is worse for the environment than just using oil. The energy output of corn is less than the energy required to produce it in many areas due to the required use of fertilizers, pesticides, watering systems, etc... It is nothing more than a feel good effort by our government to make people feel that they are making a difference and sticking it to the "arabs or big oil." Ethanol can help solve our oil crisis, but it won't be based on corn as the source. There are MANY alternative crop sources that will provide more ethanol with less energy needed to produce it. Unfortuantely, the agriculture lobbyists have incredible pull in DC. Their main agenda is stimulating agriculture in the US again, not conserving fuel.

#35 ·
E85, blah

the money to convert a car over to run on it, and the drop in fuel mileage, and the fact that you have to drive further to find it.

Meh, just get an Early 90's import that isn't rusty that will get 40-45 mpg's, and save the gas guzzler for special days.

Now if i could find a Justy :tonka:

#43 ·
Detroit Free Press just mentioned that it takes 600 gallons of fresh water to produce enough ethanol to allow the average car to travel one mile.

With dwindling fresh water supplies this doesn't bode well for teh ethanol either.

my uneducated $0.02

#46 ·
I just have aj and all his friends push me around where ever I want to go.

#59 ·
E=MC^2

Werd. :rock:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.