Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

Speeding ticket changed to impeding traffic

13K views 24 replies 15 participants last post by  RyeBread 
#1 ·
Got nabbed this morning for a speeding ticket, never had one before.

I've read on here previously about people getting the ticket changed to impeding traffic, pay a fine but no points.

What is the process in doing so? Just show up on court date and nicely ask to get it changed?

#5 ·
Most definitely. Just exploring any/all options that would have the most favorable outcome for me.

i was speeding 17 over in Waterford and got impeding traffic, 0 points, and a $65 fine. I just walked in the 51st distrist court house. There was 3 cops in the waiting room. They just called ppl up one by one and you tell them what u want. Took like 2 mins for me. Payed the fine at the booth and left. No court hearing. There was like 20 other ppl there with traffic tickets.
Did you schedule a court date, or were you just going to the courthouse to pay off the fine when you got it changed?

#4 ·
i was speeding 17 over in Waterford and got impeding traffic, 0 points, and a $65 fine. I just walked in the 51st distrist court house. There was 3 cops in the waiting room. They just called ppl up one by one and you tell them what u want. Took like 2 mins for me. Payed the fine at the booth and left. No court hearing. There was like 20 other ppl there with traffic tickets.

#9 ·
Ebs its simple, request a hearing or court date as instructed on the ticket.

You know you did wrong, you're not complaining, thats enough for me.

Next, go to court, it can go a couple different ways, sometimes the officer will speak with you before you go into court, sometimes he wont.

If he does, explain to him you have no prior marks on your record (you don't right?) you realize you made a mistake and you would like to see if he can work with you to help you maintain that clean record. Most will plea down with you, then you go see the judge/magistrate, the police officer or yourself will confirm the agreement, then you are on your way, pay the fine.

If you have to speak to the magistrate first and dont have a chance to talk with the officer one on one explain the same story directly to the judge, at that point it is pretty much a 50/50 chance.

Just don't go in there with a bullshit story. Go in there with the expectation it might not go your way. But it also might and you will be lucky it did.

You will win some, you will lose some, but in losing my license twice, accumulating 14+ points and fighting every ticket I have ever gotten I would say I am 50/50 in pleaing them down.

Go in with the right attitude and you never know what may come of it.

#25 ·
incorrect (unless I'm misinterpreting your statement). there are several civil infractions that do not show up as insurance points, further even though insurance companies have their own point ratings systems, they do not correlate exactly 1:1 for civil infractions/tickets. e.g. any ticket != any other ticket. Much like the Secretary of State looks down more heavily based on points for running a stop sign/ignoring a traffic light than say 5 mph over the limit - so too last I checked the insurance companies do as well albeit in a different fashion. (and of course each insurance company has different preferences/discriminations)

further, insurance companies have to request your record from the Secretary of State - a timely and not-inexpensive process - thus they don't typically automagically re-request everyone's driving record every year.

like many, I have no problem paying the civil/criminal fines if/when I break a traffic law. I do however have a huge problem having a company that has a very high priced lobbyist group that makes it a legal requirement to have insurance, and further is able to 'prove' that I am a greater insurance risk based on very poorly correlated statistical analysis.

#20 ·
My impeding traffic ticket was $100.

I got it just the other day in Union Lake coming back from Michigan Cat.

Apparently you need a stupid number or something on the side of the truck if you plan on hauling around heavy equipment attachments. Instead of the 6 million dollar ticket he could have wrote, we got a $100 fine. Ain't that some shit?

I was pissed. I thought the cop was going to take me to jail.

And I can't go to jail. I would get beat up :tonka:

#21 ·
Ann Arbor does not have an "Impeeding Traffic" ticket. I am pretty sure anyway, last I knew. So good luck with that.

I Just recently got a Red Light one in Dearborn Hieghts. I knew I was wrong, I was not going to court to say that I wasn't, only to plea for no points but pay a higher fine. I did not have to call ahead of time to make a court date, there they just have you show up 3 days a week at 9:00 and go in front of the Magistrate with your explanation. I got Impeading with a $100 fine.

BUT, this will still go on your record (at least the last Impeeding ticket I recieved did), and your insurance will still go up! Just like what was already said, the Insurance Companies have thier own point system, so even a no point ticket is points to them. Any excuse for them to jack up your rates.

#22 ·
What is the process in doing so? Just show up on court date and nicely ask to get it changed?

That is EXACTLY what works. Be honest, say you were guilty, which you were, but state the point of you coming to court very clearly (ie, I am guilty but I wish for the court to consider lessening my find to avoid having points on my record). The next thing that will happen is that the judge will reveiw your record, see that you are clean, and tell you he will do it, and that you are to pay for the court costs and go on your way. Basically if you aren't some criminal, and you have money, you can get out of it. Be straight forward when you talk.

#23 ·
I live in brighton and also have a close family member who just happens to be a brighton officer and i have got many tickets in livingston county, and i have have the informal hearing and have had the ticket changed to impeding trafic. now i got a ticket downtown ann arbor and i set up an informal hearing and when i spoke to the magistrate i told him i know i was in the wrong i would just like to work with you to keep points off my license and the only thing he said was that you "recived a ticket with points, the points come with youre ticket, have a nice day"

so it could go either way for you just depending on whare you are... Good luck to ya.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.